Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool How did you start playing WoW?

I was 15 in 2016 and saw someone reading the WoW manual on the bus home from school. I had played Orcs & Humans when I was younger but I had no idea what WORLD of Warcraft was. The manual looked badass and I wanted to know more. I ended up begging my mom for the game for my birthday not knowing what I was getting myself into.

I got the game for my birthday and installed it on my Windows XP machine. I don't think I could play it the day I got it since it came with like 5 install disks. I brought the manual to school and spent the entire day reading it and fantasizing about rolling my first undead mage just as patch 1.11 was released.

14 years later and I'm almost 30. I preordered Shadowlands and have sunk months worth of time into this game. I've lost countless hours of sleep and missed some opportunities with women, friends and work. That bus ride home changed my life.

How did you start playing?

10+ Year Old Account
    I met someone, my-now partner of 10 years. He introduced me to the game at the start of Wrath; I had heard of it, of course, since I'd played the original Warcraft games and loved the entire genre, but I had never tried to move into online gaming. I didn't think I'd like the idea of playing with other people, relying on them, having to mingle and talk and interact, but now I regret never starting up in classic when the game came out. Alas.

2007, some of the guys I worked with said I should give it a try, I knew my brother had been playing since launch, but I didn't really pay attention when he was playing.

Ended up getting the $2 trial disc, as I was in line a lady behind me said I was going to love it, went back the next day and bought TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I met someone, my-now partner of 10 years.
    I started WoW similar. A girl I was dating wanted to play WoW with me back in TBC. She then started having cyber sex with everyone she met. We're not together anymore, but I still play. I always loved Azeroth, been in the world since the RTS games.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Nolifed RuneScape back in the day, when WoW was announced, everyone kept talking about it in other MMO games, RuneScape community was no different. When WoW beta went live, I got an invite. Never looked back since.

10+ Year Old Account
    2005. I was in college, poor and playing Guild Wars. Knew about WoW, but couldn't afford the sub model. Finally got a part time job at the Disability Center in College converting class notes to Braille; and was able to afford the sub. So bought WoW and started playing. When I started playing WoW, BWL was the current raid. So I missed the MC boat. I have been playing since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

gaming for me was primarily console and gameboys/psps, but then when i travelled to europe everyone i saw was world of warcraft on pc, was introduced to pc gaming haha, club penguin, runescape, world of warcraft caught my eye eveerytime beucase of the amount of abilties, was during tbc time, and form there i started the same year haha

I wish I wasn't, but...

It was 2007 and I was in high school, I was with a good friend at the internet cafe, we were playing CS 1.6, next to us were some dudes that were playing wow, this is where I first saw this game, since I had a crappy Pentium 3 at home I couldn't play the game yet, started to play warcraft 3, a few months later I bought a brand new pc and I was going thru different games and then I remembered "that game", started on US servers, trial account, realized I couldn't afford the subscription and I found out about the "free servers", played like 1 year on these servers.
    The year 2008, end of TBC expansion and I had some money now, bought the game and subscription, moved from "free server" to official EU servers with a friend I made on that "free server".we are still friends on this day after almost 13 years. There were times when I couldn't afford to pay for my subscription and I had to work for my uncle, unloading trucks full of fruits.

If I wasn't at that internet cafe on that day to sit next to those dudes I would probably never start to play wow, met great people on this game, and had some fun but in the end, if look back it's mostly wasted time.
    Last edited by wladimir89; 2020-10-01 at 04:24 PM.

when i turned 16 in 2006 my gf at the time got me my first pc(played only consoles until then),and my best friend got me wow

Burning crusade gave that one week "try this drug, kid" demo and I tried that and bad-a-bing-bad-a-bum life ruined.

Had been a Blizzard fan for a little while, had Warcraft I, II, and III; I also played Diablo and Diablo II. And then Blizz was making this 3d MMO Warcraft and I had to get in.

I started playing in 2007, after ignoring every WoW ad on Magic: the Gathering websites at its release as well as BC's. One day, curiosity took over and I watched the Vanilla cinematics. MTG lost its place in my heart from that moment on.

Jan 19. 2006: Most of the guys I worked with at AT&T were playing, and they gave me a gametime card to try it out. Needless to say, I bought it the next day. I was 31, and looking for a new MMO. Worked out well til Pandaria.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by edave22 View Post
    I was 15 in 2016 and saw someone reading the WoW manual on the bus home from school. I had played Orcs & Humans when I was younger but I had no idea what WORLD of Warcraft was. The manual looked badass and I wanted to know more. I ended up begging my mom for the game for my birthday not knowing what I was getting myself into.

I got the game for my birthday and installed it on my Windows XP machine. I don't think I could play it the day I got it since it came with like 5 install disks. I brought the manual to school and spent the entire day reading it and fantasizing about rolling my first undead mage just as patch 1.11 was released.

14 years later and I'm almost 30. I preordered Shadowlands and have sunk months worth of time into this game. I've lost countless hours of sleep and missed some opportunities with women, friends and work. That bus ride home changed my life.

How did you start playing?
    I was playing Guildwars (1) and missed Vanila. so i joined just prior to TBC cause i thought subs for games were a scam.. i still do
    but i made the push into Wow and while i've tried games inbetween i always come back to at least be casual, though lately i loathe the direction outside of Classic which i love.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

3+ Year Old Account
    all my quake2/3/counter-strike buddies start playing in 2004 and I've been addicted since.

How did I first start playing World of Warcraft? An ex boyfriend. To be fair tho I loved video games growing up and I was playing another online game before dating him or playing WoW..but yes I would owe my beginnings in this particular universe to a man in blue. I hope he has been doing alright in life. It has been a long time. I don't really bother to check, so I really have no idea if they are still around. I still play tho. :3

When I was 4 years old in 1992 my grandfather set me down at his home computer with Windows 3.1 and taught me how to play Apogee games on DOS. When I got my first home computer at 9 years old in 1997, one of the first games I got was Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, which lead to a life-long love of RTS games. In addition to every Command and Conquer game I could get my hands on, I played Warcraft 2, Tides of Darkness, Warcraft 3, and Frozen Throne all upon release. When WoW was announced, I was elated, and gratefully got into the Beta in mid 2004 when I was 16 years old. WoW is still the only MMO I've ever played, and the only reason I started and still play is because of how much I resonated with the original RTS games. I've always been a casual player, and have mained the same Hunter Toon for my entire 15 years of playing WoW on and off.

2004, visited a buddy who had moved away during high school, and he and his dad were playing WoW.

We all played lots of WC3 together, so it was a pretty easy transition.
    Mods are too busy to be bothered with moderation...but still post nonsense in threads.

Please do not contact me about moderation - Reach out to another member.

I became a Warcraft / Blizzard fan around age 5-6 when Warcraft 2 was released. I got it for my birthday, because my father wanted it for him self really lol. Since then loved Blizzard and pre-purchased WoW with my brother and father.

Buddy of mine was in the beta and let me run around on his tauren war - I was hooked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.