Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So just a reminder on Republicans and court packing -

https://apnews.com/article/legislatu...61603aabf92302

Republican claims that Democrats would expand the U.S. Supreme Court to undercut the conservative majority if they win the presidency and control of Congress has a familiar ring.

It’s a tactic the GOP already has employed in recent years with state supreme courts when they have controlled all levers of state political power.

Republican governors in Arizona and Georgia have signed bills passed by GOP-dominated legislatures to expand the number of seats on their states’ respective high courts. In Iowa, the Republican governor gained greater leverage over the commission that names judicial nominees.

“The arguments being advanced now by Republican leaders — that this is an affront to separation of powers, that this is a way of delegitimizing courts — those don’t seem to be holding at the state level,” said Marin Levy, a law professor at Duke University who has written about efforts to expand state high courts.
    They're packing state courts, and are amoral, rank hypocrites and absolute garbage human beings.

I don't give a shit about their pearl clutching. If they don't want Democrats to expand the SCOTUS with "court packing", maybe they shouldn't be doing that shit at the state level.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

They're packing state courts, and are amoral, rank hypocrites and absolute garbage human beings.

I don't give a shit about their pearl clutching. If they don't want Democrats to expand the SCOTUS with "court packing", maybe they shouldn't be doing that shit at the state level.
    They're the type to give you a dollar with one hand and while taking a hundred dollars from your back pocket with the other. Then tell you they are good and generous people.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    It baffles my mind that republicans think this can go forward without democrats packing the court if they get the senate with Biden.

McConnel literally said today they had to do this because democrats can undo everything else they've done. No this can be functionally undone too.
    They're still holding on to the chance that Trump wins and/or the republicans hold the senate. Unfortunately for the American people, neither of these things are impossibilities.

Because if either of those things remain true, it will be much, MUCH harder for the Democrats to sufficiently balance out the courts, and McConnell's ploy will have been at least semi-successful in continuing to plague the land with their politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Luckily if the democrats take sufficient power, they wont have to give a shit about what the republicans pretend to care about when it comes to rounding out the supreme court.

And the republicans know that.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can someone name me a job where less than three years of experience gets you fast tracked to the highest position in the organization?
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Then just point right back that the GOP has expanded or shrank state SPs all the time to give them control or make it so they keep control after a dem leaves a vacancy so it can't/doesn't need to be filled. As well as put on blast the GOP plan to not have a hearing or fill any judicial seat for 4 years if HRC won and they retained the presidency. They would have left the court with 1 person if 8 dies during this last 4 years. SO funk them all to hell with Trumps orange cheeto. I am tired of the country being held hostage by a minority party with no vision nor willingness to govern.
    Republicans won't care. And it comes down to the message. Not the merits, but the nature of them. Fear and irrationality are easy to sell. It's visceral, and simple. Nuance, and being the adult in the room is hard to sell, it requires thoughtfulness and good faith.

It's why you can never win an argument with a child (in the child's mind). Sometimes you gotta slap 'em. (JK I don't advocate slapping your kids).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Can someone name me a job where less than three years of experience gets you fast tracked to the highest position in the organization?
    President of the United States of America
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    Hunter Biden isn't responsible for the judicial precedent that will govern the lives of 300 million people.

Perhaps someone that does such a thing should be more qualified than Hunter Biden was for his fairly inconsequential job, no?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    Well you've convinced me. I won't vote for Hunter Biden next Tuesday.
    Putin khuliyo

Ask Hunter Biden.
    and which job did he get with less then 3 years experience?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    Just a reminder, you support Trump because he has zero experience. Even after nearly 4 years, he has 0 experience... you are draining the swamp of experienced scientist and medical professionals, to replace them with experienced lobbyist and CEOs... fair trade?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    And anyone who bothers to even check the Wiki page for Hunter Biden will see he had better than ten years of corporate executive experience at VP or board of director levels prior to being offered a position at Burisma.

So your little talking point here is just a falsehood.

Ask Hunter Biden.
    I had no idea that Hunter Biden was being steam rolled into a lifetime position onto a panel of 9 seats that hold enormous power over 328 millions people's lives. That could have the deciding vote where millions of those people do or do not have life insurance or that over half of those 328 million people do or not have bodily autonomy. Thanks for letting me know and now that I know I won't vote to allow Hunter Biden to be steam rolled into the Supreme Court.

Oh wait I forgot Hunter Biden is completely pointless to the conversation or to anything that matters for this election. Keep trying for those Buttery Mails because they aren't helping Trump this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ask Hunter Biden.
    But Hilary...
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Republicans won't care. And it comes down to the message. Not the merits, but the nature of them. Fear and irrationality are easy to sell. It's visceral, and simple. Nuance, and being the adult in the room is hard to sell, it requires thoughtfulness and good faith.

It's why you can never win an argument with a child (in the child's mind). Sometimes you gotta slap 'em. (JK I don't advocate slapping your kids).
    You better not slap my kids. That's my job.(kidding of course)

What I find hilarious is the latest Republican campaign ads stating that "If Democrats, win they will pack the Supreme Court"

Irony is dead

I'm seriously all for court packing. If Republicans want to play games with the SCOTUS, they shouldn't be offended when Democrats return the favor and play games with the SCOTUS.

And if Democrats control Congress, they should try to legislate guard rails to prevent this shit from happening again because apparently we need guard rails for "following the rules and governing in good faith" as that's too high a bar for elected Republicans to follow.

- - - Updated - - -

https://abovethelaw.com/2020/10/whit...covid-barrett/

After the first ACB event ended up a superspreader event, infecting at least a dozen people who attended, the Trump administration is planning to Electric Boogaloo that shit.

It would sure be a shame if like, another dozen+ people got infected because these are all anti-science knuckle draggers and murderously irresponsible psychopaths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    What I find hilarious is the latest Republican campaign ads stating that "If Democrats, win they will pack the Supreme Court"

Irony is dead
    I just got into a facebook argument with someone telling me that the Republicans were "filling vacancies"

You mean the vacancies they deliberately left open? There's a video of Mitch literally laughing about keeping those posts open so he could fill them under Trump.

And I don't see it as "packing the supreme court" to bring a 6-3 court to a 6-5 court. More like, rebalancing.

Besides, when SCOTUS was made 9 judges, the reasoning was because there were 9 federal districts. There are now 13 federal districts. So why not have 13 judges? So maybe 6-7 instead of 6-5.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2020-10-26 at 05:45 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

Ask Hunter Biden.
    that's odd last time i checked Hunter Biden was employed in multiple positions that would have given him experience to be hired for the board of directors. Not to mention a lot of his work experience and duties were the same as a BOD. Hell a lot of executives/managers share the same responsibilities as a BOD just at a different level. Its not hard to get work experience for a BOD position.

Oh wait, you think you have to have industrial knowledge of the company to be on a BOD.
    HAHAHAHHAH, oh god you fell for the talking points.

Maybe look at what job responsibilities the BOD have first before spouting off nonsense huh?
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Just a reminder, you support Trump because he has zero experience. Even after nearly 4 years, he has 0 experience... you are draining the swamp of experienced scientist and medical professionals, to replace them with experienced lobbyist and CEOs... fair trade?
    That's not fair.

Trump has experience: he has steered at least 6 of his companies into a new chapter (the 11th one to the exact) - and not only created Trump university, but also successfully settled legal issues related to that "university".