Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

GoG ruining games

Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lul. Expecting to run programs on legacy operating systems

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Lul. Expecting to run programs on legacy operating systems
    Why not? The games are designed for these "legacy systems". It works if I download the original iso's but feels wrong having to resort to piracy for something I own legit.

so update your OS. System requirements are plain and easy Windows 7, 8, 10. Their store, their rules. Hell you dont need pay for Windows 10, just deal with the watermark.

These old games do not run on new systems so yes they have to add a shell around it to make them work and that can cause them not to work on the original old systems.

Losing backwards compatibility to allow these older games to still be played on new pc's is, imo, a small price to pay to stop them from vanishing completely.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    Lately I tried a whole bunch of GoG games on my Win98SE and XP machines and almost none worked. Seems like they are changing system requirements/dependencies. Anyone else noticed this? I understand they want to make it more compatible with modern machines but they should ADD compatibility not swap it around and break the system it originally was created for. Not buying from them anymore, back the "arr matey" way.
    The entire premise of GOG is to modernize games and make them playable on current rigs. In most cases, DOS-era games run in an on-demand DOSbox shell; others use a special version of ScummVM. In any case, I think the service they offer is incredible and well worth it. GOG also barely breaks even in their business model - it's a love letter to PC gamers everywhere.

I know right! Same as how they ruined roads by making them for cars and not allowing my horse-drawn carriage!

It's far far more important for them to update them for a modern OS than for the minority running a dinosaur. How could you post this with a straight face lol.

Their refund policy annoyed me instead. Had to fill a stupid survey to get the refund, which isn't mentioned anywhere on website of course. It even had a minimum length, so I just padded it with garbage letters. Good thing they accepted it still.

Why are you running Windows XP in 2020?

Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Their refund policy annoyed me instead. Had to fill a stupid survey to get the refund, which isn't mentioned anywhere on website of course. It even had a minimum length, so I just padded it with garbage letters. Good thing they accepted it still.
    Were you also requesting a refund because you're running on a 22 year old operating system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I know right! Same as how they ruined roads by making them for cars and not allowing my horse-drawn carriage!
    I got a hell of a laugh from this, thank you so much.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Really? why would they not allow horse-drawn carriages on roads? The only exception being highways ofc... unless you can find horses running 80+ km/h for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Were you also requesting a refund because you're running on a 22 year old operating system?
    The reason doesn't matter. Refund policy says no questions asked. Then they wanted a survey.
    Was because the game was bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've specifically been updated to run on systems that are not running a two decades old OS on similarly old hardware.

If you're going to play games released through GOG on an actual Windows 98 PC, get a hold of a copy of the original release of the software you're interested in.

Gog is old games on new computers. Not old games on old computers. Original game is for old computers.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Why would they worry about compatibility with old systems? You're perfectly capable of buying the old versions that already run on those platforms. Those platforms are no longer supported and should not be considered when releasing games in the current market.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Why are you running Windows XP in 2020?
    I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.

I honestly don't know how someone can think that companies are "ruining games" because they want to run operating systems from 20+ years ago. That's like owning a Model T and being pissed that AutoZone doesn't carry parts for it. Like.. really? That's the store's fault and not the person with the dinosaur tech refusing to upgrade because they "like the systems" or w/e? Like this boggles my mind. While we're at it lets demand the world go back to dialup internet because while we're gimping ourselves we might as well go full circle. You literally cannot expect to use those systems for the end of days, eventually nothing will work on them because that's how technology works. Hence the lack of telegraph operators and horse-drawn carriages.

If you want to be a pirate and steal games, by all means, you do you. But don't justify your piracy by saying it's someone else's fault you refuse to upgrade from the bronze age of home computers.

Edit: Saying GoG doesn't care about "retro gamers" is absurd just because you -want- to run them on the original OS's. Most "retro games" are converted to today's OS's so they can, you know, run for the 99% of people who don't own 25 computers for some arbitrary reason.
    Last edited by Nuggsy; 2020-09-29 at 01:12 PM.
    "Honor, young heroes. No matter how dire the battle, never forsake it."
    Varok Saurfang

I try to run software on the machine it was made for. I got about 25 pc's here covering a vast range of operating systems ready to use. I do also have a Win10 machine as my daily driver obviously. Just that I don't want good old games on win10. I want my good old games on my good old hardware.

But the point has been made that GoG does not care about retro gamers but targets the mainstream crowd. Point noted.
    This makes even less sense.

Does say warcraft 2 substantially change if played in a windows 10 environment? You're ascribing yourself to an extremely niche section of 'retro gamer"