Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Human Mustache/Lip Changes

Retail:

Shadowlands:

See all Retail and Shadowlands versions here: https://imgur.com/gallery/ZWeZBcB

So, if I were to guess, it looks like maybe a hair texture used to cover the upper lip as well as the mustache mesh actually being positioned at a different angle.

It's been like this for ages now and I'm worried it's permanant.

Not a fan of this change personally, are you? Is this intentional or just something they've overlooked during the revamp?

edit: maybe the mesh angle position isn't even different. Looking closer on retail ingame, it's clear there is a fur texture on the upper lip that isn't applying with these new settings on PTR.
    Last edited by Archmage Xaxxas; 2020-10-04 at 01:30 AM.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    2024 - 11.0 - The 10th Expansion - The 20th Anniversary of World of Warcraft
    For Azeroth!

Not a fan of this either. Also that protruded lip face you posted, with the teeth showing wasn't like that a week ago.

kinda off-topic but all of the gnome male eyebrow options look really fucking weird too. shaped weirdly and positioned very weirdly on the face

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah not a fan either.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    kinda off-topic but all of the gnome male eyebrow options look really fucking weird too. shaped weirdly and positioned very weirdly on the face
    You're absolutely right. I just checked myself, and only thanks to you, realized why now too. It's the same reason the Human Mustache looks messed up, a flat texture that is supposed to be under the Eyebrow mesh is missing.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    For Azeroth!

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    You're absolutely right. I just checked myself, and only thanks to you, realized why now too. It's the same reason the Human Mustache looks messed up, a flat texture that is supposed to be under the Eyebrow mesh is missing.
    yep, looks very strange. looks like they shaved their eyebrows off and pasted some fake ones on

Probs a required change so you can mix and match all combinations.

Definitely not a good change. Then again, they also removed my character's face for no apparent reason so maybe this is all part of a greater plan I fail to see.

Or it's something that is just plain broken. Visual stuff like this isn't a particularly high priority to fix. Having the game running is more important than having it look good.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This seems likely an inadvertent result of the likely changes to face and facial hair geometry to allow you to do things like change your eyebrows.

Going by Blizzard's history with these things, it'll either get fixed pretty early on in the expansion, or never. If you get past 9.1 and it isn't fixed, I would expect it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Definitely not a good change. Then again, they also removed my character's face for no apparent reason so maybe this is all part of a greater plan I fail to see.
    Really skeptical they outright removed a face (unless it's a bug of some kind), because they've never done that before. Did they not actually just change it in a way you don't like, and/or change the order it appears in?

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Or it's something that is just plain broken. Visual stuff like this isn't a particularly high priority to fix. Having the game running is more important than having it look good.
    Idk chief, people tend to care a lot about how their characters look. Changing that can really negatively impact some people's experience of the game.

Idk chief, people tend to care a lot about how their characters look. Changing that can really negatively impact some people's experience of the game.
    And they tend to care more about actually being able to run the game to look at their characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Really skeptical they outright removed a face (unless it's a bug of some kind), because they've never done that before. Did they not actually just change it in a way you don't like, and/or change the order it appears in?
    It got outright removed. It used to be face number 9 on live and it was a face that was exclusive to human male Death Knights. When I copied my character to the PTR, his face got changed to number 6 and number 9 is now an entirely different face. The old one is completely gone.

Old:

New:

Ewww, this is indeed a horrible change. Hopefully a bug rather than intentional design.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It got outright removed. It used to be face number 9 on live and it was a face that was exclusive to human male Death Knights. When I copied my character to the PTR, his face got changed to number 6 and number 9 is now an entirely different face. The old one is completely gone.

Old:

New:
    Wow, that sucks. They are similar and when I initially looked I though they were the same, but opening those images in separate windows and zooming in I can see there are significant differences (the new one has extra lines, particularly obvious on the brow, and looks much older). You bugreported it I presume? Man I hope they didn't do that to other DK faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Wow, that sucks. They are similar and when I initially looked I though they were the same, but opening those images in separate windows and zooming in I can see there are significant differences (the new one has extra lines, particularly obvious on the brow, and looks much older). You bugreported it I presume? Man I hope they didn't do that to other DK faces.
    It's not only this face. Other faces that slightly differed from the regular human male face were also removed. I reported it, tweeted at Warcraft devs, opened up a ticket etc. but I've pretty much given up all hope on this one. With all the game breaking shit that's going on, this will be their last concern.

I think it's a bug though. Whenever I log onto the PTR I can see the old face for a moment before it morphs into face number 6 which is very similar to the old face in terms of the details (lines, chin etc.) but has completely different facial structure (wider nose, different brows, different chin shape) and a different expression because of that.

Edit: sorry for derailing this thread I'll stop posting images now
    Last edited by Nerovar; 2020-10-04 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorisbohjsom View Post
    y'all are weird asfk
    Someone sounds envious of having eyes for detail is all I read there. :P Not like I chose to notice this change pal, it's blatant "asfk"
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    For Azeroth!

It actually looks better than that screenshot makes it. Also, lips are the same but higher res, it's the beard that changed.

But, these new beard models are higher res and more detailed than the previous ones. The same is happening with the eyes.

It looks better.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Xaxxas View Post
    Someone sounds envious of having eyes for detail is all I read there. :P Not like I chose to notice this change pal, it's blatant "asfk"
    At least they’re not self-conscious about a mustache on an already ugly character.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It actually looks better than that screenshot makes it. Also, lips are the same but higher res, it's the beard that changed.

But, these new beard models are higher res and more detailed than the previous ones. The same is happening with the eyes.

It looks better.
    I mean the screenshot showcases it exactly as it appears. It's not as if I'm trying to make these look worse than they are. The issue turns out to be a missing texture that would normally cover the upper lip. Has far less to do with the HD beards or anything. They've just either forgot to, or chose not to apply the old texture beneath the mustache Mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    At least they’re not self-conscious about a mustache on an already ugly character.
    To be self-conscious is the great goal. You should know that by now.
    DRAGONMIRE BINGO
    For Azeroth!