Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Small quality of life changes they could add?

What small QoL changes could they make to improve the experience, in your opinion?

The thing that came to mind for me is allowing the use of the ferries to/from Limsa earlier- after your level 10 class quest is completed.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to keep just Limsa Lominsa closed off when Thanalan and the Shroud have a land route between them- with no restrictions but being smart and not aggroing any mobs.

It would help Limsa players who are picking up ARM/BSM to be able to mine their own ore. All classes would benefit from CUL, and FSH is usable globally.

In general, freedom of movement is a good thing for this game.

I would like to be able to transmog anywhere, at any time, and my transmog appearance remains on forever. No constantly teleporting back to Ul'dah and going to the inn whenever I acquire a new piece of gear so I can transmog it. I would also like to be able to transmog anything as any class (ie, transmogging some healing pieces as samurai). It would also be very nice to not have a glamour dresser of 400 items, but instead any item you have ever obtained ever is transmoggable. Once you obtain an item, you can safely toss it and you'll still be able to transmog it. No more fiddling with inventory micromanagement (the bane of many an RPG).

I would like to be able to log off in my apartment, and then log back into the game and still be in the apartment. Same with queuing for a duty while in my apartment and then reappearing in it when I leave the duty. Right now if you are an in an apartment when you log off or queue into a duty, you come back and find that you have been kicked out the door and down the stairs of the apartment building, and then have to walk back, click on the doors, select "enter apartment", and wait 3 seconds to load back in. Every. Single. Time.

My biggest gripe with FFXIV is the CONSTANT dismounting. I wish you could talk to quest NPCs without dismounting.

Incidentally, I clicked on this at first without realizing it was QoL wants for FFXIV and was about to say that I'd do terrible things if WoW would implement instant teleportation like FFXIV has.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    was about to say that I'd do terrible things if WoW would implement instant teleportation like FFXIV has.
    Teleporting exists in GW2 and FFXIV due to the nature of the world design. Unlike WoW, where you can seamlessly travel across a continent (and thus it is immersive to do so), in GW2 and FFXIV you visit a pastiche of instanced maps that are all separated from each by quite some distance. This is less so in the ARR zones (riding from Gridania through the Black Shroud, emerging in Eastern Thanaln, and seeing Ul'dah in the distance is nice), but especially in the expansions where there is tremendous distances between each zone. It is not very immersive to be in the dense boreal forest of Lakeland, walk through the loading screen lines to the South, and then suddenly you are in a cracked, scorching hot desert with almost no flora whatsoever. There is no immersion to be had here so you're not losing anything by just allowing the player to teleport. There also isn't world PvP so it's not like you could be riding through a zone and see a battle happening and then stop to join in like you were playing Dark Age of Camelot or Warhammer Age of Reckoning.

World PvP hardly happens anymore in WoW so it's not like you're missing out on interactions, but at least it is still immersive to ride through that world, so I doubt GW2/FFXIV style teleportation to literally everywhere would be added (you can already sorta do that with the abundance of portals and hearthstones to different continents, basically GW2/FFXIV but on a macro scale, but there isn't much in actual teleportation inside those continents).

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Teleporting exists in GW2 and FFXIV due to the nature of the world design. Unlike WoW, where you can seamlessly travel across a continent (and thus it is immersive to do so), in GW2 and FFXIV you visit a pastiche of instanced maps that are all separated from each by quite some distance. This is less so in the ARR zones (riding from Gridania through the Black Shroud, emerging in Eastern Thanaln, and seeing Ul'dah in the distance is nice), but especially in the expansions where there is tremendous distances between each zone. It is not very immersive to be in the dense boreal forest of Lakeland, walk through the loading screen lines to the South, and then suddenly you are in a cracked, scorching hot desert with almost no flora whatsoever. There is no immersion to be had here so you're not losing anything by just allowing the player to teleport. There also isn't world PvP so it's not like you could be riding through a zone and see a battle happening and then stop to join in like you were playing Dark Age of Camelot or Warhammer Age of Reckoning.

World PvP hardly happens anymore in WoW so it's not like you're missing out on interactions, but at least it is still immersive to ride through that world, so I doubt GW2/FFXIV style teleportation to literally everywhere would be added (you can already sorta do that with the abundance of portals and hearthstones to different continents, basically GW2/FFXIV but on a macro scale, but there isn't much in actual teleportation inside those continents).
    Oh I know WHY teleportation exists in FFXIV. But virtually no one complains about it. The reality of transitioning from one zone to the next happens so infrequently even in a game like WoW, that I personally feel like immersion wouldn't be ruined. And large scale World PvP is a thing of the past in WoW. Usually you either just see people griefing others, or bored people engaging in PvP at summoning stones waiting for raids to start.

A middle-ground compromise that I think would be reason able is still requiring speaking to a flightmaster to initiate travel, but not having to sit there any wait 10 minutes for your character to ride a taxi from the northern to southern tips of Kalimdor. I just genuinely feel like it's a relic of the past. You still get the immersion of discovering and exploring the new zones, but once that's done, make fast travel a bit less of a pain in the ass. They already make travel substantially easier with the portals in Dalaran + Capitals along with the Dalaran Hearthstone. I feel like if they didn't acknowledge world travel in a game as expansion as WoW wasn't a pain in the ass, they wouldn't have given us a second hearthstone that specifically leads us directly to a nexus of portals. But then we get to Shadowlands, and travel between each of the four main zones is awful because of having to go to Oribos first.

But regardless, this is about FFXIV, so let's not get it too far off topic, even though I started it lol

Allow talking from mounts and attacking from mounts (that would dismount you). Auto level sync for FATEs when you attack a FATE mob. Basically, anything that can reduce the number of clicks and time it takes to do some of the things the game has you do CONSTANTLY.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    My biggest gripe with FFXIV is the CONSTANT dismounting. I wish you could talk to quest NPCs without dismounting.

Incidentally, I clicked on this at first without realizing it was QoL wants for FFXIV and was about to say that I'd do terrible things if WoW would implement instant teleportation like FFXIV has.
    Wholly agreed here - talking to NPC's and such shouldn't auto-dismount you. I could understand it for some storylines or dialogues that launch into cut-scenes, but for the lion's share of interactions, it's simply unnecessary to be dismounted so often.

I also find FFXIV's extended UI on the PC to be kind of cumbersome and clunky when it comes to finding things like the Aether Finder, or other menus and dialogues. Outside of the unit frames part of the UI, it could really use an overhaul to organize it better. It's a lot better on the PS5, where the initial game menu is organized into categories and subcategories and you can quickly source what you're looking for.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

auto-dismount on cast would be such a huge benefit. Can't believe this isn't something that's built in as an option.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I would like to be able to transmog anywhere, at any time, and my transmog appearance remains on forever.
    You CAN do it anywhere any time and it stays on. You can glamour individual pieces anywhere save inside dungeons and other timed instances. The only thing you have to go to the inn for is to edit your glamour plates, if that's what you're referring to.

They have stated that they're looking into expanding the glamour dresser as well as giving us many more glamour plates. Some of it is coming in 6.1

I agree that I'd rather just have a glamour catalogue, where we can collect each and every item that has been bound to us as glamours. It's something I've wanted ever since it happened in Legion for WoW.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    You CAN do it anywhere any time and it stays on. You can glamour individual pieces anywhere save inside dungeons and other timed instances. The only thing you have to go to the inn for is to edit your glamour plates, if that's what you're referring to.

They have stated that they're looking into expanding the glamour dresser as well as giving us many more glamour plates. Some of it is coming in 6.1

I agree that I'd rather just have a glamour catalogue, where we can collect each and every item that has been bound to us as glamours. It's something I've wanted ever since it happened in Legion for WoW.
    Yeah. XIV glamming would be so much better if they added an appearance type system instead, where you can just collect appearances rather than having to physically hold on to them and put them in a glam plate. Also having a catalogue for unearned/unobtained glams and sources for them and the ability to check them out in the dressing room.

Would be amazing, really.

They should just make a flying wardrobe mount and allow you to glamour from that. Make it cost like twice the gold sink mounts and people would still drop gil for it with a quickness.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Being able to simply walk into instance areas rather then needing to click then confirm, entering the Waking Sands would simply be walking into the door.
    A repair all option, if I remember correctly they currently have it split into 5-7 different categories.
    Crafting bank and a simple inventory search bar.

Switch to another crafting profession after creating something, without having to close the crafting window.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Switch to another crafting profession after creating something, without having to close the crafting window.
    1000x this!
    Here is something to believe in!

The ability to change the style of the interior of a house, including the stairs, walls and pillars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

You can only apply glamour plates inside cities, though, which is really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    You can only apply glamour plates inside cities, though, which is really weird.
    They do intend to let us apply glamour plates in all sanctuaries afaik in 6.1.

While I do understand why YP is holding on to his hardcore traditions and following his strict philosophy rules, but the game could really use some of that QoL polishing we westerners are used to it by now. People really enjoy watching the process of transition when scuffed details becomes absolutely polished.

I sometimes play WoW intermittently on some patches what not, and I think it's nostalgia of remembering when developers made those small improvements on somewhat insignificant things, which previously was making your gameplay absolutely irritating or uncomfortable that might still keeping some of those good memories today. Whether it's intentional game design philosophy or not, the one thing is clear, QoL changes is an aspirin that everyone is waiting for.

My list of demands can be huge, but I would probably start with a full integration of fully functional free company (in-game) search system. So that there are zero gymnastics involved, which could be another form of psychological games when you are forced to go on another adventure quest to find yourself a free company on the website rather than using automated in-game system. Leave me alone and let me apply to the company with zero interaction or a need to have a prior conversation with a possible psychopath, manipulator or weirdo.
    Last edited by neik; 2022-03-27 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    While I do understand why YP is holding on to his hardcore traditions and following his strict philosophy rules, but the game could really use some of that QoL polishing we westerners are used to it by now.
    I think it's a lot less of "hardcore traditions" (not sure anything about the game is really considered "hardcore") and more that the game really was built from the ground up with console play in mind and with an infrastructure from a completely different era.

My list of demands can be huge, but I would probably start with a full integration of fully functional free company (in-game) search system. So that there are zero gymnastics involved, which could be another form of psychological games when you are forced to go on another adventure quest to find yourself a free company on the website rather than using automated in-game system. Leave me alone and let me apply to the company with zero interaction or a need to have a prior conversation with a possible psychopath, manipulator or weirdo.
    I don't really get this one, isn't joining any FC going to involve interacting with someone?

The glamour system needs a lot of updates. I don't claim to know how their engine is setup, but I find it hard to believe that there isn't a way they can increase the capacity above 400 for the dresser or for their to be an in-game tracker on where to find certain equipment.