Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Want to Upgrade my PC

Hello everyone, I built my first gaming PC 2 years ago from stuff I picked up from FB Marketplace and have been very happy with it so far, I was thinking about upgrading at least my MOBO so I can get into DDR4 Ram and better CPU since I believe my MOBO is what is kind of holding me back.

I've got an NZXT H500 Case so whatever I need that fits this.

Current Specs are:
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti thought it was 1080Ti initially
    MOBO- ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
    Ram- Crucial Tech. 8GB (2X4)

I have an NZXT Liquid cooler and 3 other Case Fans as well this build has been great and runs cool and I have neve had any issues with performance playing the games I like to play at Medium-High settings WOW, 7D2D, Scrap Mechanic Survival, Ark, and Destiny 2. I only really plan to play WOW, 7D2D, and Ark for the most part on this rig what is the best coarse to upgrading what I have without going broke. If I can just throw some more Ram at it and get some performance I am totally cool with that, or is upgrading the CPU and sticking with my current MOBO I plan on playing 1080P and that is about it I have no need for super amazing graphics really since I care more about smoothness than how pretty stuff looks. I play WOW fully zoomed out with game sound Muted so if that gives you an indication of what I need.
    Last edited by schwank05; 2020-10-01 at 02:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, yeah, that is an ancient platform.
    But we're just about to get the announcement for AMD 4000 series CPUs, so I'd wait for a bit. Current leaks and speculation are pretty positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Oh wow, yeah, that is an ancient platform.
    But we're just about to get the announcement for AMD 4000 series CPUs, so I'd wait for a bit. Current leaks and speculation are pretty positive.
    5000 Series*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Hello everyone, I built my first gaming PC 2 years ago from stuff I picked up from FB Marketplace and have been very happy with it so far, I was thinking about upgrading at least my MOBO so I can get into DDR4 Ram and better CPU since I believe my MOBO is what is kind of holding me back.

I've got an NZXT H500 Case so whatever I need that fits this.

Current Specs are:
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MOBO- ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

I have an NZXT Liquid cooler and 3 other Case Fans as well this build has been great and runs cool and I have neve had any issues with performance playing the games I like to play at Medium-High settings WOW, 7D2D, Scrap Mechanic Survival, Ark, and Destiny 2. I only really plan to play WOW, 7D2D, and Ark for the most part on this rig what is the best coarse to upgrading what I have without going broke. If I can just throw some more Ram at it and get some performance I am totally cool with that, or is upgrading the CPU and sticking with my current MOBO I plan on playing 1080P and that is about it I have no need for super amazing graphics really since I care more about smoothness than how pretty stuff looks. I play WOW fully zoomed out with game sound Muted so if that gives you an indication of what I need.
    Your CPU is bottlenecking your GPU by a country mile I am willing to bet. Your GPU is more than fine for moving to your next build. The only thing it seems you need is the cpu/mobo and new ram kit. Everything else you are using is salvageable and would give you a GOOD boost over that FX chip. A ryzen 3 has better performance than that FX chip.
    With that said, as Temp name mentioned new Ryzen will be coming soon, even if you dont go with new Ryzen current gen Ryzen will drop in price. R5 3600xt and a decent B550 mobo and some new ram would be a night and day improvement without setting you to far back. A b450 mobo can save a few more dollars but you will not be able to use it past the next gen of ryzen if i recall seeing their upgrade map correctly so b550 adds some future proofing if you decide to slide into a higher Ryzen chip later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you need a new CPU+Motherboard+RAM. The games you play are also very CPU limited so that will be a very significant upgrade. The FX6300 was crap when it was released and is absolutely ancient at this point.

Since you have a working computer there's no need to upgrade right now. Next gen AMD cpu announcement is next week and release date is likely some time next month, wait for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    A b450 mobo can save a few more dollars but you will not be able to use it past the next gen of ryzen if i recall seeing their upgrade map correctly so b550 adds some future proofing if you decide to slide into a higher Ryzen chip later.
    AMD will be moving to a new socket after Zen 3, so neither B450 or B550 will be compatible with what comes after that. B550 is just generally better though and support for Zen 3 on B450 board will probably be a bit iffy so yeah B550 definitely recommended.

Damn that bottleneck must be insane.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    5000 Series*
    We haven't had a 4000 series chip on desktop yet, so I figured Zen3 would be 4000

We haven't had a 4000 series chip on desktop yet, so I figured Zen3 would be 4000
    They made 4000 series APUs and skipped it entirely to 5000 for CPUs it seems.

OK So I would like to keep the total Bill under $400.00 so is that something that can be done now? I can tell you if the new Stuff is anything like Intel stuff Ill not be worried about the New CPU's. How would I notice "Bottlenecking" As I tried to iterate This is my first gaming Desktop, and Wow has never run smoother for me Ive only ever played on Laptops in the past so this was a whole new thing for me and I just bought this stuff for cheap to get into building PC's and how this whole thing works.

- - - Updated - - -

Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
    CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $236.59 FREE $236.59

CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $80.98 $80.98

Memory

ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory $50.99 $50.99

Storage
    Video Card
    Case
    Power Supply
    Optical Drive
    Operating System
    Software
    Monitor
    External Storage
    Laptop
    Accessories / Other

Case Accessories, Case Fans, Fan Controllers, Thermal Compound, UPS Systems
    Expansion Cards / Networking

Sound Cards, Wired Network Adapters, Wireless Network Adapters
    Peripherals

Headphones, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers, Webcams
    Total: $368.56

These parts work with what I have currently?

OK So I would like to keep the total Bill under $400.00 so is that something that can be done now? I can tell you if the new Stuff is anything like Intel stuff Ill not be worried about the New CPU's. How would I notice "Bottlenecking" As I tried to iterate This is my first gaming Desktop, and Wow has never run smoother for me Ive only ever played on Laptops in the past so this was a whole new thing for me and I just bought this stuff for cheap to get into building PC's and how this whole thing works.
    Lets explain it in a childish way.

From 1-10 with 1 being "This is ancient and slow" and 10 being "You have the best thing for gaming in 2020", your GPU is a 7, maybe 7.5, and your CPU is 0.5 and thats being generous.

So you can understand, how a 0.5, holds a 7 back.

Now onto the 3 things you linked, they are fine but some adjustments can be made.

Firstly, since its inside your budget i wont start the "You should get the lower model" cause it doesnt matter, 3600XT has more Hz, and if the PC is for WoW, more Hz matter over saving 15$ and especially for Ark.

Secondly change that RAM into 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18, if you cant find either and have to do for 3000, make sure its CL 15.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Lets explain it in a childish way.

From 1-10 with 1 being "This is ancient and slow" and 10 being "You have the best thing for gaming in 2020", your GPU is a 7, maybe 7.5, and your CPU is 0.5 and thats being generous.

So you can understand, how a 0.5, holds a 7 back.

Now onto the 3 things you linked, they are fine but some adjustments can be made.

Firstly, since its inside your budget i wont start the "You should get the lower model" cause it doesnt matter, 3600XT has more Hz, and if the PC is for WoW, more Hz matter over saving 15$ and especially for Ark.

Secondly change that RAM into 3200 CL16 or 3600 CL18, if you cant find either and have to do for 3000, make sure its CL 15.
    Don't mean to sound like a dumbass, just trying to understand how all this stuff works its pretty new to me. I know Automotive Computers not Desktops. But thanks for the advice. As far as Ram goes what does the 3200 or 3600 CL16 mean or stand for so I can have a better understanding of what is better?

Don't mean to sound like a dumbass, just trying to understand how all this stuff works its pretty new to me. I know Automotive Computers not Desktops. But thanks for the advice. As far as Ram goes what does the 3200 or 3600 CL16 mean or stand for so I can have a better understanding of what is better?
    Didnt mean to make you sound like a dumbass, but i assumed my explanation helped.

You chose this for your build in your post above:

ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16

This is fine, but tests have shown that Ryzen 2000/3000 and probably the 5000 series that are gonna be announced in 10 days or so, and released probably in a month like faster RAM, but there are "hops" or "jumps" of performance that make no difference but the price increases a lot for no reason.

Those numbers reflect a form of "Speed" of the RAM.

Those jumps in "speed" for Ryzen end up being 3200Mhz CL 16 and 3600Mhz CL18 being equal, meaning which ever of the two you find cheaper you can get without losing any actual daily performance.

Didnt mean to make you sound like a dumbass, but i assumed my explanation helped.

You chose this for your build in your post above:

ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16

This is fine, but tests have shown that Ryzen 2000/3000 and probably the 5000 series that are gonna be announced in 10 days or so, and released probably in a month like faster RAM, but there are "hops" or "jumps" of performance that make no difference but the price increases a lot for no reason.

Those numbers reflect a form of "Speed" of the RAM.

Those jumps in "speed" for Ryzen end up being 3200Mhz CL 16 and 3600Mhz CL18 being equal, meaning which ever of the two you find cheaper you can get without losing any actual daily performance.
    Gotcha, I just went to PC Part picker and grabbed the cheapest Ram I could find with decent reviews so Ill see what I can find. Thanks for the advice.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $236.59 FREE $236.59

CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

Memory

ADATA XPG Z1 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory $50.99 $50.99

Storage
    Video Card
    Case
    Power Supply
    Optical Drive
    Operating System
    Software
    Monitor
    External Storage
    Laptop
    Accessories / Other

Peripherals

Total: $368.56

These parts work with what I have currently?
    If you have some sort of monitoring software that shows you how much of your gpu and cpu is being used during gaming you will most likely see your CPU usage at around 100% while your gpu is at say 60%, basically that tells you that your CPU is seriously underpowered in comparison to your gpu and is holding it back.

you might get a perfectly playable experience in wow right now, but a CPU upgrade is going to help you out a lot, since your 1080ti isn't allowed to use all of it's performance.

Do you think when the new gen CPU's come out the older ones will drop drastically in price?

Do you think when the new gen CPU's come out the older ones will drop drastically in price?
    No, they are already low in price and the stock is mostly non-existent from the budget ones, you might save 10$ more but waste waiting a month for that which..makes no sense.

Now you could wait because rumors has they will increase clock speed on the CPU to match Intel, and 300-500 extra Hz is lovable, but its up to if you wanna wait ~2 months averagely and another 1-2 months before you buy to make sure stability issues are resolved (There always are with new things) assuming the rumors are true and the benchmarks actually reflect that, basically from the difference in technologies and the extra Hz a good 12-20% increase is expected.

The cost will averagely be the same, maybe 15$ more expensive on the Ryzen 5600X or 5600XT or w/e they call it.

Here is what I have come up with, seems to look like it will work. will my GPU work with this MoBo?

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $208.62 $208.62

CPU Cooler
    Motherboard

Memory

GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory $55.99 FREE $55.99

Storage
    Video Card
    Case
    Power Supply
    Optical Drive
    Operating System
    Software
    Monitor
    External Storage
    Laptop
    Accessories / Other

Peripherals

Total: $345.59

We did they were the APU version of the 3000 series. bad naming on AMD's Part. Thankfully because of JayzTwoCents and other youtubers pointed out how confusing that's going to be AMD decided to rename the REAL desktop cpus to 5000.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, with AMD this has ALWAYS been the case with Ryzen.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they are already low in price and the stock is mostly non-existent from the budget ones, you might save 10$ more but waste waiting a month for that which..makes no sense.

Now you could wait because rumors has they will increase clock speed on the CPU to match Intel, and 300-500 extra Hz is lovable, but its up to if you wanna wait ~2 months averagely and another 1-2 months before you buy to make sure stability issues are resolved (There always are with new things) assuming the rumors are true and the benchmarks actually reflect that, basically from the difference in technologies and the extra Hz a good 12-20% increase is expected.

The cost will averagely be the same, maybe 15$ more expensive on the Ryzen 5600X or 5600XT or w/e they call it.
    last gen ryzen CPU's have always been slashed in price when the new gen comes out.

- - - Updated - - -

Last gen Ryzen always goes down. I just double checked some of my newegg invoices, AMD RYZEN 5 2600 119.99 after 3600 came out. AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 149.99 after 2nd gen came out.

Now is the worst time to build a new PC. New AMD CPUs are getting announced next week and 3070 is getting released soon, 3060 might be soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlian View Post
    Now is the worst time to build a new PC. New AMD CPUs are getting announced next week and 3070 is getting released soon, 3060 might be soon too.
    His 1080ti is fine for wow. I got very minimal uplift in wow with my 3080. Other games HELL YEA, wow... nope. This game is still so damn CPU bound its sickening.

Current Specs are:
    CPU- AMD FX-6300
    GPU- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    MOBO- ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
    Oh boy, I remeber I had an AMD FX back in like 2012 or something. It was so bad and it was overheating like crazy.

The 1080TI is fine tbh. You could buy a B550 mainboard with some 3600mhz DDR4 right now since it will be compatible with the upcoming Ryzen 4000 series (I have heard they skip the 4000 series and just name it 5000?). Buy a Ryzen 5 3600 right now which is pretty cheap and also pretty good and then upgrade to a newer CPU in like 3-4 months.
    Or wait until that new AMD stuff comes out and skip the 3600. But honestly I would get rid of that FX monstrosity as fast as possible.