Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

The game has become "how can I do the things I need to do as fast as possible"

That's essentially the problem with current WoW.

It has gone from exploration and immersion in a huge fantasy RPG world to "I have this list of tasks, how can I get them done as fast and as efficiently as possible".

If WoW ever wants to be great again, it needs to move away from tasks and chores, away from daily and weekly things to do and rerunning the same content over and over again, and towards creating more unique content that is supposed to be done once for the mere fun of it.

WoW doesn't want to be great again, it wants to keep its paypigs on a treadmill.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Game can move away from being "fast-paced", but will the players change their attitude?
    I honestly just want my daily gaming chores to be out of my way as fast as possible so I can do things I enjoy be it in or out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnycutie View Post

It has gone from exploration and immersion in a huge fantasy RPG world to "I have this list of tasks, how can I get them done as fast and as efficiently as possible".

If WoW ever wants to be great again, it needs to move away from tasks and chores, away from daily and weekly things to do and rerunning the same content over and over again, and towards creating more unique content that is supposed to be done once for the mere fun of it.
    "exploration and immersion"

That part is dead the moment you are finished with leveling. And completly obliterated the moment you can fly.

Exploration was only really there in classic. No one knew what to do and took months to get to max level.

Immersion is highly!! depended on who you are asking. I was never immersed in wow. Because you have zero influence on the world. YOu have a predestined path and it has always been that way.

Eso and Swtor had more immersion ebcuas ethe whole campaign was just for you and no one else.
    Immersion and MMO mechanic are contradictory most of the time.

Also you can the stuff just once and be done with it... who forces you to do anything more than that?
    I like having stuff to do in an MMo i pay 14 €a month. It would not be worth the money if i would be done with everything by logging in once a week for 2 hours.
    And most of this is fun for many people. I like dailys. I like raiding and dungeons (highly repetetive, even more than dailies)

TLDR: This is highly subjective and what you describe hasn't been wow since BC

I dont see the Problem in the Game. I see the problems in the mindset of the community. Online-Gamers in 2020 dont have the Mindset from Gamers 10+ Years ago.

The Mindset today is just toxic & competitive. Thats why i play with casuals now, its way more fun and relaxing.

I mean the best exapamle are the mimimi about covenants and conduits. 95% of the mimimi-guys dont even play content where its relevant to mix/max a char.

Blizz TRIED to stop this..community wasn't having it..
    Blizz is still TRYING to stop this..the whole punishing you for changing covenants thing but not really is an ATTEMPT to do this...and people aren't having it
    hell the little secrets like the hivemind is a way to try to give that sense of wonder back....but lets be real its mostly the entire community waiting for the secret finding discord to find it so everyone else can get it

Hell the sell for World Quests and The MoP Dailys were actually "You aren't supposed to do ALL OF THEM ALL THE TIME" and what did the community do? DO ALL OF THEM ALL THE TIME. Not to mention sites like this, wowhead, discord, etc pretty much find everything you need to know, tell you the mathematically best spec you can be, and how to kill whatever boss immediately and the community expects you to already know this stuff.

Also before you blame "Current expansion" for this..it started in Wrath. It existed in vanilla and BC but Wrath's "Everyone can Raid" slogan essentially spread this like a virus. Blame group play for it too because for every person that wants to discover something theres 2-4 other people who just want to get things done and you are ruining THEIR fun which in turn ruins YOUR fun.

I 100% agree. This chore stuff is all because of time-gating. I think time-gating is fine for raids and the weekly chest, but for other content it can feel pretty awful, especially on alts. I found myself just doing chores like the 8.3 assaults for a lot of my play time. It was a lot better when you'd log in and decide what you want to do based on who is online. Solo world content should be for when no one else is online or when you're semi-afk.

Time-gating favors people that can play 7 days per week, even if other players play the same total hours. A static time investment lets players just do what they want when they can without having to complete a checklist. I'm not saying grinds should be shorter, but you should be able to put your 5 hours in on a Saturday rather than spread out throughout the week.

Also, rewards should be either cosmetic or for the content you're doing. They should make a gear set reward that excels at doing world content that isn't as good for raids/instanced pvp/m+

Well I see this attitude a lot as a mythic raider. It's rare people in that content want to play blizzards stupid fill the bar game so speaking with the royal "we" .

We do tend to rush through whatever artificial time gate we come across to get back to mythic raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saixilein View Post
    I dont see the Problem in the Game. I see the problems in the mindset of the community. Online-Gamers in 2020 dont have the Mindset from Gamers 10+ Years ago.

The Mindset today is just toxic & competitive.
    This x1000.

I've been saying it since Wrath ws current: People insist on blaming Blizzard and now Activision Blizzard for their unwillingness to adapt with change. Blizzard is adapting the game to cater to the community. The Dungeon Finder and Crossrealm features the Community likes to blame for the death of WoW Community? Well, that same community begged for both. It ended up being a case of people getting what they asked for and not liking it. LOL. As I recall, the vocal minority online bashed both features saying they would kill WoW. They didn't kill WoW. The Toxic People who wanted everyone to be as miserable as them did.

The MMORPG is a dying Genre these days like it or not. Folks should be grateful WoW has lasted as long as it has. Many well known MMORPGs that came before and after it are either gone or they're just keeping the servers online. People also forget a company's job is to make money at the end of the day.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah blizzard kinda bred an impatient playerbase with contents like Speedrun Dungeons, it's inconvenient to revert it now.

Player behaviour shapes this game.

It’s human nature to want to accomplish more in the least bit of time. As you become familiar with the game and its mechanics you don’t really need to take your time any longer. You can enjoy it at a higher level of play and understanding.
    Be willing to serve and build up others at any cost. Never be a man of laziness and self absorption. Be willing to grow daily in integrity, strength, and boldness.

Me, a guy that just plays casually and for fun: I see no issue, tbh.

Efficiency is the game. Every single activity has a META and many seek it out without realizing it.

15+ Year Old Account

Times have changed. There is no way to create enough new content on a consistent basis without charging significantly more money. Even then you would still be doing repetitive tasks like you do now, only difference is you would be paying more to do them.

As for the "how can i do things I need to do as fast as possible?"
    As people get older, time becomes more valuable. Less time I waste on mundane things, more time I have to do what i really want. what i really really want..you know you wanna sing it.. anyway. It is human nature to always find faster ways of doing everything, because time is the one thing we never have enough of.
    Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    @KrimzinOG

I think its quite obvious that the need for speed and efficiency is related to the fact that most things to do in this game are mindless boring push the same few buttons over and over, click some things activities you just wanted to pass asap. Nothing else to expect from a sole time sinker game where you cannot aim, cannot dodge and cannot die outside raids, m+ and pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftinmammals View Post
    It’s human nature to want to accomplish more in the least bit of time. As you become familiar with the game and its mechanics you don’t really need to take your time any longer. You can enjoy it at a higher level of play and understanding.
    There's some weird projection going on in this post. The discussion at hand isn't about needing to take time, and it has absolutely nothing to do with lack of familiarity or understanding. It's about not wanting to spam through things as quickly as possible. Sometimes you want to sit down and enjoy a meal instead of stuffing your face to finish the food as fast as possible.

You know, I've played since 1.0 and even then, the game was like this. Back then, it was harder to define the tasks and people got this illusion about a game of exploration but WoW has never really been that. You are trying to make the game something it is not - this RPG (which WoW most assuredly is not) only exists as an illusion in your mind, clouded by nostalgia. It is quite common, most people didn't really understand WoW at the beginning

Immersion have never existed in wow or exploration really. You can argue vanilla had some but not really. Other mmos have that but they suck donkey when it comes to endgame and Gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    First...I don't think the game has become this, but it is the player attitude of "how can I do the things I need to do as fast as possible"
    It has become the player attitude because that is how to deal with the things you need to do in the game. Daily chores. Chores aren't fun, they just need to be done. Therefore just do them as fast as possible, so you can get them out of the way, and then you are free for the day.