Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Parents used to pay with Game Cards and I eventually bought my own. When WoW Tokens came out in 2015 (according to wowpedia, I can't remember) I started paying with gold and have done so since and will do until the end of WoW. I convert it to balance to get longer sub slightly cheaper, but promotional mounts since The Dreadwake are not longer included like that so you have to buy them individually if paying like that.

I also set up a US Account last year now apparently, my parents paid initially due to concerns which I paid them back for. I'm unsubbed from that account right now but have considered resubbing, and have enough gold to buy a few tokens. Unfortunately due to EU/US restrictions I cannot get Blizzard Balance for US and can only get 30 days of Game Time directly.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

was pretty easy to find small jobs for after school back then. at least in my part of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I far ran into more adults than not when I started playing. I was also already a(n) (young) adult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Started playing in 2004 when I was 15. I was already working part time cleaning up the bakery of a Zehrs so just paid with my paycheques.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

I don't want to tell you. I... can't. Those were dark days indeed.

debit card
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

i could only buy game cards as we couldnty pay online and my mother would have never agreed to it. and i only had money like every 4 months or something so everytime my 2 month game card would end i would wait like 4+ months to play agian lol, in the meantime i would immerse myself with reading lore, looking at the art, the soundtrack, and like 100 trial accounts lol

started in 07

That's not true. A lot started when they were in their early-mid 20s
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    I don't know where you're getting that from, but most 16 year olds don't have jobs...nor are they responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    I think I don't know a single person personally that worked part time with 16.
    I guess we come from different worlds and different times. At 16 everyone I knew had a car or was saving up for a car. Even if you drove someone else's you needed money for gas, dates, games etc. Parents didn't just hand money over to kids without some contribution.

I would be interested in when you two were 16. Maybe times are different. I have two kids and they have to do things to earn money. It was about learning responsibility.

These were jobs like bagging groceries, paper routes, cutting lawn, cashier in a gas station etc.

You two seriously never seen a high schooler at the grocery checkout, bagging groceries, cutting lawns, movie theater?
    "Peace is a lie"

My parents didn't want me to work at a young age as they wanted me to fully focus on school so they were willing to pay for it as long as I was getting good grades.

Honestly, I stole the time. Walmart would sell 60-Day time cards that came activated and in game cases. My friends and I would cut the tape on the box, squeeze the sides and the time card would just come out. I am pretty sure none of us paid for time for around 3 years (2006-2009).

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Done various things to pay for the time card when I first started playing 15 some years ago.

From 14-18 I worked a part-time job, $13 an hour, ~3 hour shifts x 5 days a week. Just sweeping floors and mopping toilets, but I was making about $200 a week, a thousand a month. I only spent money on skateboard stuff and WoW, never bought or drove a car which helped me save even further. I didn't have a Credit Card so I would buy 60-day timecards at Walmart.

By the time I moved out and went to University I was financially secure enough to pay my own way through tuition and rent. Maybe it's where I grew up but it wasn't very normal to not have a part-time job at 16, most people needed to work to afford a car just to get around rural life.

15+ Year Old Account
    Game cards from game untill i got my own visa card

MMOs didn't exist when I was a teen. Hell, the web didn't even exist yet, so...yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by davesurfer View Post
    I guess we come from different worlds and different times. At 16 everyone I knew had a car or was saving up for a car. Even if you drove someone else's you needed money for gas, dates, games etc. Parents didn't just hand money over to kids without some contribution.

I would be interested in when you two were 16. Maybe times are different. I have two kids and they have to do things to earn money. It was about learning responsibility.

These were jobs like bagging groceries, paper routes, cutting lawn, cashier in a gas station etc.

You two seriously never seen a high schooler at the grocery checkout, bagging groceries, cutting lawns, movie theater?
    I don't see anyone driving at 16, because in Poland you can get the driving license at 18 at the earliest.

Working some very strictly limited hours is legal at 15 and upwards, but almost no one works below 18/19 either. 19 is when you finish high school, and that's when people either pick up part time jobs and go to a University, or start a regular job without going to University. Also, a huge chunk of young people in our country go to University (it's free), about 33% of the populace is studying, which usually means mostly part time jobs.

Personally I never worked before finishing my University (25ish y old). Think of it what you like. I just didn't think that I want to dive into jobs unrelated to my studies before I finished.

PS. As a fun fact - I think as long as the child is still in the education system, which includes University, the parents are legally bound to support them financially, to the point that if they refuse - the child can sue them for alimony.
    Last edited by Azerate; 2020-10-16 at 08:54 PM.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

I'm too old to have had this problem with WoW, but with Star Wars: Galaxies I would save my lunch money up and buy pre paid visa cards at the mall in order to subscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    I am a boomer lol, I was 22 when WoW released and was working beside uni.
    If you were 22 in 2004, then you aren't a boomer, bruh. You're a millenial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Most of us started WoW at a very young age, and we didn't have our own credit cards. How did you pay for WoW when you were young? I basically had a friend pay for me, because he owed me monies. What about you?
    Credit card, ofc..

I started to play when I was 35, during TBC..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    Nah. Being a newlywed means you make mistakes like "asking for permission". After 15+ years of marriage you learn the art of "asking for forgiveness".
    And after 25+ you don't bother asking for SHIT!