Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Federal Judge rules: No reasonable viewer should take Fox News Seriously.

Not that this is a shock to more than half the country but at least its now a court ruling.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-...carlson-2020-9

BTW it was a trump appointed judge.

A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit against Fox News after lawyers for the network argued that no "reasonable viewer" would take the network's primetime star Tucker Carlson seriously.

The former Playboy model Karen McDougal filed a defamation suit against Fox alleging that Carlson slandered her during a December 2018 episode of his show, "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

The network asked a judge to dismiss the case, arguing that "Carlson's statements were not statements of fact and that she failed adequately to allege actual malice."

The judge agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."

Carlson has long made racist and controversial statements as a primetime host on Fox News and has lost several advertisers because of it.

US District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."

"This 'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary,'" the ruling said.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Not that this is a shock to more than half the country but at least its now a court ruling.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-...carlson-2020-9

BTW it was a trump appointed judge.

A federal judge on Thursday dismissed a lawsuit against Fox News after lawyers for the network argued that no "reasonable viewer" would take the network's primetime star Tucker Carlson seriously.

The former Playboy model Karen McDougal filed a defamation suit against Fox alleging that Carlson slandered her during a December 2018 episode of his show, "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

The network asked a judge to dismiss the case, arguing that "Carlson's statements were not statements of fact and that she failed adequately to allege actual malice."

The judge agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."

Carlson has long made racist and controversial statements as a primetime host on Fox News and has lost several advertisers because of it.

US District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."

"This 'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary,'" the ruling said.
    wonder if McDougal and some others could refile and demand that Fox has that posted on every commentator's show
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    wonder if McDougal and some others could refile and demand that Fox has that posted on every commentator's show
    Legally mandate that Fox has to carry the South Park disclaimer.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the ruling makes for catchy headlines, it's ultimately bullshit. Fox "News" by no reasonable measure makes any overt attempts to carlify that the things they present are comedy, satire or total bullshit. They may argue that all they're presenting is bullshit, but even calling themselves "News" implies that the information they are providing is primarily factual.

This is a ruling that ultimately protects Fox on the grounds that its viewers are "reasonable" people. Something that I think, if you attempted to demonstrate in court, would probably not be substantiated.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Fox viewers aren't reasonable though. If they were they wouldn't watch Fox.

Tucker's show makes no claims to be a news show. That's the only defense I'll offer for him. Other than that, I pretty much agree with the ruling.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Misleading title. Maybe your bias got in the way, but properly it should say Fox news wins court case by arguing that Tucker Carlson is an opinion host. Much like Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo, who are also opinion hosts.

If you didn't know that, then you are a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    Misleading title. Maybe your bias got in the way, but properly it should say Fox news wins court case by arguing that Tucker Carlson is an opinion host. Much like Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo, who are also opinion hosts.

Tucker Carlson has white nationalist views, writers and fails multiple fact checks. Meanwhile the other 2 you listed, don't.

Actually if you watched him in the last year or so he sounds like Bernie Sanders. That's why he's become popular.

I hear he was a bit of a racist in the past, but hey, I'm sure his transformation is genuine. People get cured of racism all the time. Look at Joe Biden.

Quote Originally Posted by starfirth View Post
    Actually if you watched him in the last year or so he sounds like Bernie Sanders. That's why he's become popular.

I hear he was a bit of a racist in the past, but hey, I'm sure his transformation is genuine. People get cured of racism all the time. Look at Joe Biden.
    No, Bernie Sanders isn't fucking racist. Tucker hasn't transformed, he literally says racist shit daily.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    No, Bernie Sanders isn't fucking racist. Tucker hasn't transformed, he literally says racist shit daily.
    So what racist shit has he said today?

I think you just can't accept that he is on a "life journey" to a better place. That may sound like asinine retarded bullshit but I hear Democrats coming out with this stuff daily about Biden so it must be true.
    Last edited by starfirth; 2020-09-27 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by starfirth View Post
    So what racist shit has he said today?

I think you just can't accept that he is on a "life journey" to a better place. That may sound like asinine retarded bullshit but I hear Democrats coming out with this stuff daily about Biden so it must be true.
    I dunno, it is a new day, and I don't listen to his bullshit. And what bullshit are you talking about "life journey" to a better place? And what are Democrats coming out with about Biden?

wait, I'll use the fox news excuse..... "it was just satire!!!! "

What is this the third time they/their employees used this in court?
    Not to hard to kind of make an extrapolation to the whole network at this point.

How many of their other "host" shall we apply this too? Better yet let me know whom you wouldn't apply this too, just one example please?

Have lemon or cuomo used this excuse yet? Has CNN claimed they are just "opinions" or is your bias getting in the way and your immediately went right to "they do it too" excuses??
    Guess CNN and Washington post should use this excuse for the catholic kids lawsuit.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Reminds me of this oldie but a goodie;

You're a little off. Tucker's still a horrible racist but he's starting to realize that the scorched Earth policy might not be the best idea. Of course, he'll probably not get to the right place and blame the GOP for it but its a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    but its a start.
    jesus fucking christ

even my dog works out im not really throwing the ball

Fox News is the only news channel I can watch. CNN is what MSNBC used to be and MSNBC now will rot your brain. Fox News is the only news channel worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Fox News is the only news channel I can watch. CNN is what MSNBC used to be and MSNBC now will rot your brain. Fox News is the only news channel worth watching.
    Speaks fucking volumes about how you post here and how you are wrong, with every post.

Speaks fucking volumes about how you post here and how you are wrong, with every post.
    Wow, chill. I pretty much use mostly NBC and also like to listen to Tucker’s opinions occasionally. I can attest the roaring dumpster fire of yellow journalism it’s become. I read for headlines still mostly out of habit, but neither it or CNN are to be taken at their word these days. If Carlson is a white nationalist, Lemon is a self-avowed racist. It’s kinda worse actually, Lemon plays one for clicks because that’s what is popular among his core audience.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    Wow, chill. I pretty much use mostly NBC and also like to listen to Tucker’s opinions occasionally. I can attest the roaring dumpster fire of yellow journalism it’s become. I read for headlines still mostly out of habit, but neither it or CNN are to be taken at their word these days. If Carlson is a white nationalist, Lemon is a self-avowed racist. It’s kinda worse actually, Lemon plays one for clicks because that’s what is popular among his core audience.
    Tucker Carlson - the guy a federal judge, in a written opinion, said "shouldn't be taken seriously"? Faux "News" made that argument, btw.

Chill, indeed. You just have to realize that the only dumpsterfire in MSM is Faux "News" - the rest do just fine, and only have the reps they do because the neo-con nut jobs continually attack them for being...accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Isn't the problem the fact that it isn't reasonable people watching it in the first place? Hence you get all the nutjobs that believe any conspiracy you throw at them, leading to all kinds of issues.
    I think that's it - people want to hear their echo chambers validated and their unfounded opinions vilified. Hence, Faux "News".

Meanwhile, Barrett is on the way to nomination - and McTrump are already looking at who to stuff in her vacant seat on the 7th Circuit.