Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dave Kosak leaves Blizz

I wonder has anyone posted about this.
    If yes, then this thread can be deleted/locked and apologies about creating multiple threads.

https://twitter.com/DaveKosak/status...787527681?s=19

15+ Year Old Account
    There's been a lot of turnover on the HS team. Shame to see him go, he's a great storyteller. I still remember how passionate he was about Mists of Pandaria, he basically built that setting from the ground up.

3+ Year Old Account
    oh shit I just asked him earlier about the Purge of Dalaran
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

...Oh. Shit. The plot armor is finally off of baddie bitch Sy.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Danuser is still there isnt he?

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    Danuser took his job in 2016. The results speak for themselves.

Hope his new venture goes really well. He was a huge step up from Ben Brode for Hearthstone, but hopefully the next person can take Hearthstone to the next level. Spend less time doing skits and more time balancing cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    There's been a lot of turnover on the HS team. Shame to see him go, he's a great storyteller. I still remember how passionate he was about Mists of Pandaria, he basically built that setting from the ground up.
    Isn't Kosak behind most of the comedy/lighthearted stories in WoW? If yes, I don't see a bad thing with him not being part of the WoW narrative team.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Isn't Kosak behind most of the comedy/lighthearted stories in WoW? If yes, I don't see a bad thing with him not being part of the WoW narrative team.
    He definitely preferred the cartoony side of Warcraft. But he had a good imagination for adventure stories. From shipwrecking into a lost continent with its own rules (Sha), to the history of the mogu and the eventual resurrection of Lei Shen, to the factions using the artifacts and powers of that new continent to fuel their conflict.

SoO had an inevitably disappointing ending, but otherwise, the storyline of MoP was very solid. He was a perfect fit for Hearthstone. Had he kept writing for WoW, we wouldn't have had as much Sylvanas and death themes, but we'd also would have seen a few other Harrison Jones around. I'd pay that price, but I know others wouldn't, so I'll stick to saying that Hearthstone was the perfect way for him to explore the funny part of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    He definitely preferred the cartoony side of Warcraft. But he had a good imagination for adventure stories. From shipwrecking into a lost continent with its own rules (Sha), to the history of the mogu and the eventual resurrection of Lei Shen, to the factions using the artifacts and powers of that new continent to fuel their conflict.

SoO had an inevitably disappointing ending, but otherwise, the storyline of MoP was very solid. He was a perfect fit for Hearthstone. Had he kept writing for WoW, we wouldn't have had as much Sylvanas and death themes, but we'd also would have seen a few other Harrison Jones around. I'd pay that price, but I know others wouldn't, so I'll stick to saying that Hearthstone was the perfect way for him to explore the funny part of the franchise.
    I see. While I understand why people might like his storytelling, I'd go as far as to say that I'm glad we have someone like Danuser replacing Kosak even with the obvious criticism he receives.

I see. While I understand why people might like his storytelling, I'd go as far as to say that I'm glad we have someone like Danuser replacing Kosak even with the obvious criticism he receives.
    It comes down to taste, really. Neither are amazing writers, but I'd say that silly/bad writing for something that doesn't take itself too seriously is easier to overlook. If you pretend that your war story is serious and somber, then expect people to call out inconsistencies and poor character choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Hope his new venture goes really well. He was a huge step up from Ben Brode for Hearthstone, but hopefully the next person can take Hearthstone to the next level. Spend less time doing skits and more time balancing cards.
    No he wasn’t. Hearthstone went downhill after Ben Brode left.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if you don't appreciate Kosak's lighter tone, I don't know how you could say this. MoP and BfA are both telling the same story, but BfA has worse planning, more plot holes, more contrivances, worse characterization, just worse storytelling overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
    Even if you don't appreciate Kosak's lighter tone, I don't know how you could say this. MoP and BfA are both telling the same story, but BfA has worse planning, more plot holes, more contrivances, worse characterization, just worse storytelling overall.
    Fair point regarding this comparison. On larger scope, what I prefer is how ever since Legion the scope of the lore is focusing more existential/cosmic things like the Light x Void drama or how they showed what the Light is capable of with Illidan.

When we were dealing with the Cata/MoP era, I had completely given up on the WoW lore/story. Right now, I feel like it has the potential to rival MMO stories like SWTOR or FFXIV "IF" done right on the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Your aware the story writers are not involved in card balance right?
    Actually I take that back, your clearly not aware of that so I will say, Please be aware that story writers are not involved in card balance. So please don't blame them for other peoples work.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    The funniest thing about some of the Blizz devs leaving is for years people yelled and screamed how they were trash devs, useless people and all kinds of insults but now it's suddenly the worst thing in the world and Blizzard is doomed and dying.

But back OT: Dave seemed like a nice guy, much like Metzen I enjoyed seeing him at BlizzCons too despite not playing HS. All the best to him!
    Subarashii chin chin mono
    Kintama no kami aru

damn blizzard still losing names... 2020 has been a year

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraijake View Post
    damn blizzard still losing names... 2020 has been a year
    Who's left of the original/semi-original team? Kaplan and Afrasiabi? Anyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Who's left of the original/semi-original team? Kaplan and Afrasiabi? Anyone else?
    Tom Chilton.

so are people only leaving because blizzard dosent pay enough for irvine? eventually youd think maybe they can just pay people money and keep the talent