Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post

The saddest thing is, last week Labour were looking like government in waiting. Starmer was polling as the most popular Labour leader since Blair (pre-war ofc), Boris was losing stock by the day, Labour were ahead in the polls.
    Completely untrue. The Tories have been ahead in most recent polls. This after the Tories let 40,000 people die. Labour should be 30 points ahead in the polls. In any case Labour had large polling leads under Corbyn and Milliband and ended up losing elections, it means nothing at this stage.

The only good metric going for Starmer is his approval rating which the media keep trotting out, but they neglect to mention the fact that the poll is biased because a significant number of people don't even know who he is, meaning Labour voters are over-represented. His "approval" is mostly from Tory and LD voters who have no intention of voting for him which helps no one.
    Last edited by starsist; 2020-10-31 at 02:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by starsist View Post
    Completely untrue. The Tories have been ahead in most recent polls. This after the Tories let 40,000 people die. Labour should be 30 points ahead in the polls. In any case Labour had large polling leads under Corbyn and Milliband and ended up losing elections, it means nothing at this stage.

The only good metric going for Starmer is his approval rating which the media keep trotting out, but they neglect to mention the fact that a) the poll is biased because a significant number of people don't even know who he is, meaning Labour voters are over-represented. and b) He's actually slightly less popular than Corbyn, who polls at 23% with the general public while Starmer gets 21%.
    Its the UK media, they are going to anything to push ahead the blairites while smearing anybody left of center as much as they can.
    Its hard to think of a country that has worse news media than the UK.. Australia and the US come close, I suppose. The anglo-sphere really knows how to shut down anything that is not liberal or conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    Its the UK media, they are going to anything to push ahead the blairites while smearing anybody left of center as much as they can.
    Its hard to think of a country that has worse news media than the UK.. Australia and the US come close, I suppose. The anglo-sphere really knows how to shut down anything that is not liberal or conservative.

I'm thinking the left needs to concentrate on destroying right-wing media in this country before worrying about elections.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starsist View Post
    I'm thinking the left needs to concentrate on destroying right-wing media in this country before worrying about elections.
    It wouldn't matter though because even if all media organizations from one side disappeared today the underlying ideas would still exist and pop right back up again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even sure why they put all their eggs in that basket case last elections.

Did they truly not have anyone better to represent the party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Not even sure why they put all their eggs in that basket case last elections.

Did they truly not have anyone better to represent the party?
    Yes, imagine a left-wing part actually going for somebody who is left wing and not a red tory. But he made the mistake of not purging the blairites.

If you want a right wing gov in the UK, you can just hope the tories or the lib dems win, you know?

10+ Year Old Account
    **update!
    Corbyn allies that want to sweep the anti-semitism issues under the rug are salty.

• Corbyn issued a non-apology
    • A LAbor disciplinary panel lifted Corbyn’s suspension
    • Keir Starmer denies Jeremy Corbyn a whip despite end of suspension

Decision means former leader will not sit as Labour MP and is likely to reignite party row

Keir Starmer has sparked a furious backlash from Labour leftwingers by refusing to readmit Jeremy Corbyn as a Labour MP, arguing that his predecessor has undermined efforts to restore the party’s reputation in the Jewish community.

A disciplinary panel of the party’s national executive committee (NEC) lifted the suspension of Corbyn’s party membership on Tuesday after he issued a conciliatory statement “clarifying” controversial remarks he made when the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) published a damning report on Labour antisemitism.

In a strongly worded statement on Wednesday, Starmer said he would not be welcoming Corbyn back into the parliamentary Labour party (PLP).
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, imagine a left-wing part actually going for somebody who is left wing and not a red tory. But he made the mistake of not purging the blairites.

If you want a right wing gov in the UK, you can just hope the tories or the lib dems win, you know?
    Given the Blairites are responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths, and the Labour Blairites were playing Judas' against Corbyn, the Left is only a tenth as angry as they aught to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    **update!
    Corbyn allies that want to sweep the anti-semitism issues under the rug are salty.

• Corbyn issued a non-apology
    • A LAbor disciplinary panel lifted Corbyn’s suspension
    • Keir Starmer denies Jeremy Corbyn a whip despite end of suspension

Decision means former leader will not sit as Labour MP and is likely to reignite party row

Keir Starmer has sparked a furious backlash from Labour leftwingers by refusing to readmit Jeremy Corbyn as a Labour MP, arguing that his predecessor has undermined efforts to restore the party’s reputation in the Jewish community.

A disciplinary panel of the party’s national executive committee (NEC) lifted the suspension of Corbyn’s party membership on Tuesday after he issued a conciliatory statement “clarifying” controversial remarks he made when the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) published a damning report on Labour antisemitism.

In a strongly worded statement on Wednesday, Starmer said he would not be welcoming Corbyn back into the parliamentary Labour party (PLP).
    Always fun to still see you going along with the smearing, still yet to see anything that shows Corbyn is actually anti-semetic.
    but remember, no whining that labour lost the leftwing vote, you and Starmer have fun with your neoliberal economic policies.

No idea why you go and support a former left-wing party for that instead of the liberal party, but do what you enjoy.

So I just read the report linked in the OP and I have a couple of thoughts;

1. There were some pretty serious structural failings in UK Labour's response to racial discrimination complaints. And while I'm sure you'd find the same faults right now in thousands of organizations anywhere on earth, as is the nature of the beast with these inquests, Corbyn was leader at the time he has to eat shit for it.
    2. I wish they had included more actual examples of anti-Semitic behavior. I understand they only specifically included the acts of agents within the legal definition of the term but it makes the report look like a beat-up when the unshown material could have been damning (which is not to say there werent a couple of OOFs but they only posted like two examples despite possessing over 700). Which is relevant because...
    3. Criticising Israel is not anti-Semitic, that we're still playing this game and you have statutory bodies supporting said game is frankly worrying.
    4. Criticising the Rothschild's is not anti-Semetic (unless you are criticising them for being Jewish).
    5. As a lawyer I find it laughable that a member of an organisation denying (at the time unproven) allegations against the organisation is itself an act so prescribed. If that was the case we need to bring in every politician and company spokesperson on earth. The default legal position for any organisation before the truth is conclusively proven is to deflect and deny.
    Last edited by Saltysquidoon; 2020-11-20 at 02:05 PM.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    It wouldn't matter though because even if all media organizations from one side disappeared today the underlying ideas would still exist and pop right back up again.
    No, because we have evidence from countries where Murdoch’s media empire never took hold. They don’t have the same misinformed and conspiracy driven public. Because we don’t really have left wing media in US. Conglomerates that run NBC, ABC and CBS, are also conservative media. The very fact that people don’t seem to understand that, is in part due to Murdoch marketing being heavily driven by far right’s persecution complex.

On top of that, the sort of “idea” people are complaining about in Murdoch’s media, would not happen, if there was no Murdoch media. This is due to the basic concept that unlike facts and reality, where there is a limited scope in how the fact can be interpreted, emotion driven media is unpredictable and thus simply cannot be guaranteed to happen.

Let’s say a publicly hated candidate is running for office... If Fox media empire didn’t exist... there likely would still be an outlet that covered this candidate’s recorded history and policy details from a conservative perspective. But, what are the odds that a another media outlet would exist, that would push the idea of said candidate being a Satanist that eats babies?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The anglo-sphere really knows how to shut down anything that is not liberal or conservative.
    I wonder if that has anything to do with why the anglo-sphere has enjoyed centuries of success, while nations that step out of the box and implement them some Marxism become failed states

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I wonder if that has anything to do with why the anglo-sphere has enjoyed centuries of success, while nations that step out of the box and implement them some Marxism become failed states
    You mean by opressing the global south?

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny how immigration from all of these oppressed countries is really breaking up the European Left.
    Government Affiliated Snark

You mean by opressing the global south?
    What a dopey euphemism. Ah yes, Australia, famously a nation of the global north.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Funny how immigration from all of these oppressed countries is really breaking up the European Left.
    Making up more bullshit I see, where did Corbyn do that?

- - - Updated - - -

What a dopey euphemism. Ah yes, Australia, famously a nation of the global north.
    You think your being clever or something by pretending to not know what the global south refers too?

You think your being clever or something by pretending to not know what the global south refers too?
    I'm plenty familiar with it, it's just fairly amusing to see it used an excuse for Australian success.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm plenty familiar with it, it's just fairly amusing to see it used an excuse for Australian success.
    Because Australia is part of that same anglo-sphere I mentioned before...? Are you just bringing up random countries that had nothing to do with what I said? Or are we pretending that big companies are not exploiting poor countries in the south?

Because Australia is part of that same anglo-sphere I mentioned before...? Are you just bringing up random countries that had nothing to do with what I said?
    The anglo-sphere is indeed rich and successful. That success sure looks like it stems from having centrist rule of law. It takes a really idiotic Marxist mindset to view Australia (or Canada, for that matter) oppressing "the global South" as the reason for the success.

I'm sure any day now you'll get an example of Marxist success though. If only it weren't for those anglophone oppressors it probably would have already happened!

10+ Year Old Account
    The anglo-sphere is indeed rich and successful. That success sure looks like it stems from having centrist rule of law. It takes a really idiotic Marxist mindset to view Australia (or Canada, for that matter) oppressing "the global South" as the reason for the success.

I'm sure any day now you'll get an example of Marxist success though. If only it weren't for those anglophone oppressors it probably would have already happened!
    Marxist mindset? Its just facts, the companies that bring wealth to these countries all get rich of the backs of the global south.

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/10/min...ences_partner/
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/our...-value-chains/
    https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-relea...llions-dollars
    Are we now also just going to ignore the whole history of humankind?

And you want an example? Cuba is an example, but i'm sure that Cuba is also somehow at fault for the US sanctions.