Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Exile’s Reach is Annoying

For a new player, it’s probably pretty good. That stated, let me explain why I hate my time here:
    I decided to level a Goblin Hunter. I already have a Hunter at max level, but they are pretty fast to level with out in the world and I just want the heritage appearance. Since I went Goblin, and I hate their starting area, I figured it would be a good idea to check out the new system.
    I decided to do what I always do. Make a character, deck it out in heirloom gear, and start on my journey. About 3 levels in I noticed an issue. Every new spell I got I was prompted to put it on my action bar. Not a big deal, right? The issue is that since this is my 2nd Hunter and I don’t have a spec yet, I am mirroring my max level one as much as possible. That said, I have certain spots for abilities. Every new level, it demanded I place it on the first available bar spot. If I put it elsewhere, I would still receive the prompt and icon motion to put it in the first available slot. The only way to make the prompts stop would be to move it where the game wanted it and then move it afterwards.
    The next issue that came along is the getting gear. Whenever you get a new piece of gear you receive a prompt about it. Open bag>open character screen>drag item to slot>move on. Again, I use heirloom gear even after the nerf. This prompt will not go away until you go thru that series of prompts. What’s worse, even after you go thru it, is if you re-equip your heirlooms and then the prompts happen all over again. Getting a little upset, I tried closing my bags, which you can’t do unless you close the character screen, and then closing both brings the prompts all over. The only way to get rid of them is to use the gear for a certain amount of time or to just sell them.
    So far, I’m only approximately 1/2 way thru (best guess as it’s my first time) and while I enjoy some of it, such as the collecting items to make a trap for your spellbook and then using it in the next quest is kind of fun. Some things are straight up annoying and hopefully will be changed.
    How is everyone else enjoying/disliking it that has given it a go?

You can turn off all of the tutorial prompts in the interface.

10+ Year Old Account
    For you, I might suggest the following...

Game Menu (ESC) -> Interface -> Display -> Untick Tutorials

Then you don't experience all that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eapoe View Post
    For a new player, it’s probably pretty good. That stated, let me explain why I hate my time here:
    I decided to level a Goblin Hunter. I already have a Hunter at max level, but they are pretty fast to level with out in the world and I just want the heritage appearance. Since I went Goblin, and I hate their starting area, I figured it would be a good idea to check out the new system.
    I decided to do what I always do. Make a character, deck it out in heirloom gear, and start on my journey. About 3 levels in I noticed an issue. Every new spell I got I was prompted to put it on my action bar. Not a big deal, right? The issue is that since this is my 2nd Hunter and I don’t have a spec yet, I am mirroring my max level one as much as possible. That said, I have certain spots for abilities. Every new level, it demanded I place it on the first available bar spot. If I put it elsewhere, I would still receive the prompt and icon motion to put it in the first available slot. The only way to make the prompts stop would be to move it where the game wanted it and then move it afterwards.
    The next issue that came along is the getting gear. Whenever you get a new piece of gear you receive a prompt about it. Open bag>open character screen>drag item to slot>move on. Again, I use heirloom gear even after the nerf. This prompt will not go away until you go thru that series of prompts. What’s worse, even after you go thru it, is if you re-equip your heirlooms and then the prompts happen all over again. Getting a little upset, I tried closing my bags, which you can’t do unless you close the character screen, and then closing both brings the prompts all over. The only way to get rid of them is to use the gear for a certain amount of time or to just sell them.
    So far, I’m only approximately 1/2 way thru (best guess as it’s my first time) and while I enjoy some of it, such as the collecting items to make a trap for your spellbook and then using it in the next quest is kind of fun. Some things are straight up annoying and hopefully will be changed.
    I had basically the same experience and issues that you had. however, this experience isn't aimed at me. it's aimed at new people. who don't have heirlooms, don't have addons and don't have a clue what they are doing lol

It didn't care at all what slot it was on as long as I put the ability on a slot, no idea what you're talking about.

Only issue I had was even after joining the instance it continued to pester me to join, blocking a chunk of my screen through the entire dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Then turn all of that off in the interface..... Game Menu -> Interface -> Display -> Show Tutorial (right column, towards the bottom)

With it turned off, it's an amazing streamlined and fun experience IMO. By far the fastest way to reach level 10 (Except for DK, DH and Allied Races, obviously).

It's really well done.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Literally only bad experience in current leveling is DK intro for main races, it's outdated as hell and you don't have a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah as pretty much everyone says, just turn off tutorials. With that out of the way, I find exile's reach very nice to do 1-10, and for now it's what I'll be choosing instead of the regular starting experiences.

Exile's Reach barely has any quests, both sides of the story focus heavily on female characters, one even has the mother rescue her own son (imagine the humiliation), and the "dungeon" at the end is just a reused portion of highmaul.

And at the same time it's faster than any other starting zone, so you pretty much have to pick it if you don't want to waste time. I speedleveled all of my new characters through it, just so that I would never have to deal with it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitable Doom View Post
    ...both sides of the story focus heavily on female characters, one even has the mother rescue her own son (imagine the humiliation)...
    I have no idea why that's a bad thing. Family is important, and if you're mother helping you is bad/scary/embarrassing, I think you have some issues to sort out.

I think the new zone is great. I've taken several character through it, and I'm excited to bring some friends to the game who've never played WoW.

I don’t mind it. It serves its purpose for newer players. For me it’s a welcome change from rerunning the same starter zones. I definitely hated the tutorials you mentioned but it’s an easy untick.

Turn off tutorials, maybe...?

Exile's Reach is great. It's fast, it teaches new players the basics and it's visually in the 2020's rather than 2004.

The worst starter experience currently, would be the DK one. Time to bring it into this decade as well.

7+ Year Old Account
    Exile's Reach barely has any quests, both sides of the story focus heavily on female characters, one even has the mother rescue her own son (imagine the humiliation).
    Are you ok man?
    Something you need to vent?
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I took one character through it, to experience it from a new-player perspective. It was good enough in my opinion.

However, all your complaining in this thread is from the perspective of an experienced player. You have special spots for abilities, you use heirlooms and you know what you're doing. New players do not and they might need to be guided massively through things. It is intentionally designed for them, not you.

Exile's Reach barely has any quests, both sides of the story focus heavily on female characters, one even has the mother rescue her own son (imagine the humiliation), and the "dungeon" at the end is just a reused portion of highmaul.

And at the same time it's faster than any other starting zone, so you pretty much have to pick it if you don't want to waste time. I speedleveled all of my new characters through it, just so that I would never have to deal with it again.
    Yes, imagine the hUmIlIaTiON that the 6 kids rescued by their mother from a burning building must be feeling now... The skin on her feet was literally peeling off as she brought out the last kid. hUmIlIaTiON!

Imagine being this guy.

You can choose, not to do it.

And also, you can turn of tutorials...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's specifically designed as a game introductory experience for people that are new to wow (or maybe returning after a very long break). Veteran players such as you or I optionally can choose it to see something new, but yes it's obviously by definition going to be very tutorial/training focused.

We've reached the....if I'm an experienced player and I choose to do the tutorial zone anyway it's tries to teach me the game and that is annoying...level of trying to find things in wow to complain about.

My god you are a bigger troll than bwonsamdi

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    It didn't care at all what slot it was on as long as I put the ability on a slot, no idea what you're talking about.

Only issue I had was even after joining the instance it continued to pester me to join, blocking a chunk of my screen through the entire dungeon.

It's because op uses elvui or some such. But op blames it on blizzard anyway. Classic pebcak

Pebcak is "problem exists between chair and keyboard"