10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    tinkers had mechagon
    no tinkers coming
    Mechagon wasn't an expansion.

"dark rangers pull from hunters"
    and demon hunters pulled from the warlock class
    No, Warlocks pulled metamorphosis from the Demon Hunter class. Dark Rangers are a clear derivative (undead version) of the Hunter class. There’s a difference.

just like you believe your personal class concept is superior to the necromancer or dark ranger concept blizzard devs might believe their concept for the murloc tamer class is superior to yours
    Doubtful, since my concept is based almost entirely on Blizzard’s own design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by themaelstorm View Post
    Feel free to check out my Tinker :P
    Nice! I like that you made the claw pack the focus of spec difference. That’s actually a quite possible outcome if a Tinker class is implemented, and if I were going to do another Tinker class write-up, I’d be going in a similar direction as your concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    No, Warlocks pulled metamorphosis from the Demon Hunter class. Dark Rangers are a clear derivative (undead version) of the Hunter class. There’s a difference.
    What would dark rangers "pull" (i.e. remove) from the hunter class?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    What would dark rangers "pull" (i.e. remove) from the hunter class?
    Who knows? There's no decisive abilities to define what is and is not a Dark Ranger. By all accounts the Dark Ranger is merely a Forsaken variation of the Hunter class. No different than Vindicators, Sunwalkers, and Blood Knights are to Paladins.

yep really sucks that Dark rangers got nerfed into normal hunters in WoW.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Spell caster with tank spec would be cool. Spell breaker with main hand and shield cloth geared class.

spell breaker is more anti magic aimed.
    and from the armor it would be plate or mail. most likely plate
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    yep really sucks that Dark rangers got nerfed into normal hunters in WoW.
    That was the entire point of Nathanos becoming a Dark Ranger. He then goes on to train standard Forsaken in the Hunter class.

Who knows? There's no decisive abilities to define what is and is not a Dark Ranger.
    And yet you constantly claim that a dark ranger would "pull" (i.e. remove) abilities from the hunter class. If you don't know, then stop claiming it would.

By all accounts the Dark Ranger is merely a Forsaken variation of the Hunter class.
    "All" in this case meaning "yours and yours alone".

No different than Vindicators, Sunwalkers, and Blood Knights are to Paladins.
    Except: "Dark rangers are undead archers in service of the Forsaken or Sylvanas Windrunner. These cunning individuals, adept at manipulating opponents, are mainly composed of forcibly raised Farstrider rangers of Quel'Thalas. They now enjoy nothing more than sowing dissension and hatred within the enemy ranks."

That does not sound at all anything like the description of the hunter class.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet you constantly claim that a dark ranger would "pull" (i.e. remove) abilities from the hunter class. If you don't know, then stop claiming it would.
    Where have I said that in this thread?

Cool, now find a description of Nathanos Blightcaller. That is the type of Dark Ranger you can play as in WoW.

I think people are way off about how Dark Rangers could be implemented in-game. I propose that Rogues get the Survival Hunter treatment and either Sub or Assassination is turned into a ranged Dark Ranger spec. Sure Dark Ranger abilities are part of the Hunter kit but Metamorphosis was once a Warlock ability too.

Problem 1: The Hunter theme is all about beasts and nature and is totally misaligned with the Dark Ranger theme. Dark Rangers don't have pets. Nathanos has his hounds but only in Vanilla and then very recently, but no other Dark Rangers have pets. MM Hunter is closest to High Elf Farstriders but even they are not the same as Dark Rangers. Sabotage and subterfuge is a big part of the Dark Ranger identity, which is spot-on if Dark Rangers were a Rogue spec.

Problem 2: Dark Rangers would look dumb as hell in Mail armour. There are very, very few sets that are going to be viable for Dark Ranger transmogs as a Hunter. Most of the gear is either covered in beasts or elemental magic because it's Shaman gear. It would suck to run around as a Dark Ranger but look like a Resto Shaman. Leather armour on the other hand, and basically all Rogue gear, is going to look great and consistent with the Dark Ranger theme.

But I don't think Dark Ranger is rich enough of a concept to be a whole class in and of itself.

Plus, as a Rogue spec, Dark Rangers would get stealth as a baseline, and it's hard to imagine Dark Rangers without stealth.

Last edited by shoc; 2020-12-20 at 09:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I think people are way off about how Dark Rangers could be implemented in-game. I propose that Rogues get the Survival Hunter treatment and either Sub or Assassination is turned into a ranged Dark Ranger spec. Sure Dark Ranger abilities are part of the Hunter kit but Metamorphosis was once a Warlock ability too.

Problem 1: The Hunter theme is all about beasts and nature and is totally misaligned with the Dark Ranger theme. Dark Rangers don't have pets. Nathanos has his hounds but only in Vanilla and then very recently, but no other Dark Rangers have pets. MM Hunter is closest to High Elf Farstriders but even they are not the same as Dark Rangers. Sabotage and subterfuge is a big part of the Dark Ranger identity, which is spot-on if Dark Rangers were a Rogue spec.

Problem 2: Dark Rangers would look dumb as hell in Mail armour. There are very, very few sets that are going to be viable for Dark Ranger transmogs as a Hunter. Most of the gear is either covered in beasts or elemental magic because it's Shaman gear. It would suck to run around as a Dark Ranger but look like a Resto Shaman. Leather armour on the other hand, and basically all Rogue gear, is going to look great and consistent with the Dark Ranger theme.

But I don't think Dark Ranger is rich enough of a concept to be a whole class in and of itself.

Plus, as a Rogue spec, Dark Rangers would get stealth as a baseline, and it's hard to imagine Dark Rangers without stealth.

That actually wouldn’t be a bad idea. Also Rogues can still equip bows.

It probably wouldn’t work out though because it’s been established that Dark Rangers can wear mail armor via the Dark Ranger Hood. Also implementing the Dark Ranger concept doesn’t warrant the removal of a spec.

All you need to do is add a few shadow arrow abilities to MM and call it a day. And when I say a few, I mean like 2-3 tops.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-12-20 at 10:12 PM.

Where have I said that in this thread?
    Right here:
    Well considering that unlike Necromancers or Dark Ranger the Tinker takes nothing from existing classes,

Cool, now find a description of Nathanos Blightcaller. That is the type of Dark Ranger you can play as in WoW.
    Why? I don't think anyone wants to play as Nathanos Blightcaller. From what I see, people want to play as Sylvanas, not her simp. People who want to play as a dark ranger don't want to play as a hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? I don't think anyone wants to play as Nathanos Blightcaller. From what I see, people want to play as Sylvanas, not her simp. People who want to play as a dark ranger don't want to play as a hunter.
    But Nathanos IS a Dark Ranger.

So here’s the real question; do people want to play as a Dark Ranger, or do they want to play as Sylvanas? Because if you want to be a Dark Ranger, being a Forsaken Hunter like Nathanos accomplishes that goal.

But Nathanos IS a Dark Ranger.
    So what? People don't want to play as Nathanos. Notice that when people talk about dark ranger, they almost immediately mention Sylvanas. Nathanos rarely gets mentioned, unless people actively ask for more examples.

So here’s the real question; do people want to play as a Dark Ranger, or do they want to play as Sylvanas? Because if you want to be a Dark Ranger, being a Forsaken Hunter like Nathanos accomplishes that goal.
    No. No, it does not accomplish that goal. Not any more than picking hunter or warrior, a fitting transmog, tame a mechanic pet and get the engineer profession makes you into a tinker. The point is that you cannot play "class A" by playing "class B with race X".

Also, not going to address the fact you've been caught saying dark rangers would remove stuff from the hunter class?

10+ Year Old Account
    So what? People don't want to play as Nathanos. Notice that when people talk about dark ranger, they almost immediately mention Sylvanas. Nathanos rarely gets mentioned, unless people actively ask for more examples.
    That’s irrelevant though. The fact remains that the game allows the player to play as a Dark Ranger.

No. No, it does not accomplish that goal. Not any more than picking hunter or warrior, a fitting transmog, tame a mechanic pet and get the engineer profession makes you into a tinker. The point is that you cannot play "class A" by playing "class B with race X".
    That’s not the same case though. If you’re a Forsaken Hunter nothing makes you any different than Nathanos, who is a Dark Ranger.

Neither the Hunter, the Warrior, or Engineering can allow me to emulate Gazlowe or Mekkatorque fighting in their mech suits.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2020-12-21 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    Tinker makes no sense, it's a profession not a class
    Ikr? Just like warriors are redundant since blacksmithing exists, mages arent necessary because enchanting exists etc.
    Actually only that argument is redundant.

That’s irrelevant though. The fact remains that the game allows the player to play as a Dark Ranger.
    That's not fact, though. We cannot play as dark rangers, though. There is no dark ranger class to pick. People who want to play the class do not want to pretend they're playing a different class, and pretending they're actually using shadow magic, and pretending they're using necromancy.

Stop saying it's a fact when it's demonstrably not a fact.

That’s not the same case though. If you’re a Forsaken Hunter nothing makes you any different than Nathanos, who is a Dark Ranger.

Neither the Hunter, the Warrior, or Engineering can allow me to emulate Gazlowe or Mekkatorque fighting in their mech suits.
    No, no, no. You don't get to pick a character no one wants to play as for us, and compare it to character you want to play as. Make it fair: compare it to characters you DON'T want to play as.

Alright. Let's play your game. If you play a goblin (whatever class) and pick up engineering, nothing makes you any different than Tinkerer Gizlock, who is a tinker.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not fact, though. We cannot play as dark rangers, though. There is no dark ranger class to pick. People who want to play the class do not want to pretend they're playing a different class, and pretending they're actually using shadow magic, and pretending they're using necromancy.
    Okay, so what makes Nathanos a Dark Ranger, but not the Forsaken Hunter he trains?

Stop saying it's a fact when it's demonstrably not a fact.
    Nathanos is a Dark Ranger, that is a fact. Nathanos is training Forsaken in the Hunter class in order to build the Dark Ranger ranks. That is also a fact.

No, no, no. You don't get to pick a character no one wants to play as for us, and compare it to character you want to play as. Make it fair: compare it to characters you DON'T want to play as.

Alright. Let's play your game. If you play a goblin (whatever class) and pick up engineering, nothing makes you any different than Tinkerer Gizlock, who is a tinker.
    The difference being that Gazlowe has the Tinker’s abilities from HotS. Gizlock does not (such as mech piloting). This has nothing to do with characters, it’s about the abilities.

Okay, so what makes Nathanos a Dark Ranger, but not the Forsaken Hunter he trains?
    Because he trains hunters, not dark rangers.

Nathanos is a Dark Ranger, that is a fact. Nathanos is training Forsaken in the Hunter class in order to build the Dark Ranger ranks. That is also a fact.
    And none of that changes the fact that the dark ranger class is not available to the players.

The difference being that Gazlowe has the Tinker’s abilities from HotS. Gizlock does not (such as mech piloting). This has nothing to do with characters, it’s about the abilities.
    Doesn't matter. That's completely irrelevant. Because, just like you point out that Gizlock does not pilot mechs, or has no HotS abilities, I can do the same to Nathanos: he does not have any of Sylvanas' HotS abilities, nor can he do a banshee scream like Sylvanas.