Not sure if this is the only cinematic we get, but spoilers:

Quote Originally Posted by Gifdwarf View Post
    Not sure if this is the only cinematic we get, but spoilers:

So this confirms that Sylvanas forcibly turned Anduin and he didn’t agree to it.

Not really smelling a redemption for her, lol.

Yeah she gets redeemed.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagawithlegs View Post
    This is what happens when Blizz prioritizes spoilers and “hype culture” over the game actually working.
    No, it happens when you don't even test your stuff cause fanbase do it for you. Whole campaign should be tested by Blizzard, but now they can't even do single quest on their own.

I am honestly surprised that a cinematic that can be summarized as "wait and see lol" is as bad as it is. They just keep one upping themselves in terms of shittiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I think this is a nice compromise honestly. Bugs are inevitable, but this way we get most of the quests working decently well, but also retain a tiny bit of mystery for the end at the cost of a buggier than usual questline.

That being said some of the bugs or annoyances that made it through can fuck right off. Last week with Adrestes just slightly out of range so you could not start or end quests when in combat might have been the worst of all. Feebly trying to deliver the breadcrumb quest so you could get the quest to kill the add was genuinely upsetting, even worse when you realized that you could not even deliver the quest afterwards if someone started the quest all over again.[/COLOR]

This is the second time Blizzard has done this outside small one-off quests like the final boss mount quests. My guess is Blizzard at least thinks this is worth hiding, and the likely reason for that is that it spoils the next patch in some way.
    All I know is that without PTR we wouldn't have so many people bitching about Dagger in the Dark 2.0 in Mists to then continually add unintended loyalist quests to the Sadfang Chronicles, complete with an actually different end point where I got to drag Eitrigg around while people flung rotten fruit at him. We wouldn't have masterful self-destructions of story like the 'loyalty of the people' gig that rendered the plot into mush. PTR and full spoilers except for cinematics and end quests have shown their worth purely for being the most tangible effect player bitching has ever had on the story.

Hell, no PTR adjustments based on feedback would mean that the 5.3 Alliance story wouldn't just consist of being a robot cat spying on the first shitty rebellion plot but capping it off by being blackmailed by Vol'jin. Thanks to people complaining about it though they changed it so that Vol'jin was a beggar when you called his bluff, cutting his legs out from under him and cementing his characterization as the guy who would go on to throw loin-cloth wearing spearchuckers at a giant robot scorpion.

In any case I'm mostly taking the piss. 9.1 has been notoriously buggy, especially the quests. It's not so much that the content is short either, since the 9.1 questline has as much as 8.1 and 8.1.5. It's just that a story about finding out one of the throw-away robot attendants was a dreadlord doesn't have the same meat to it as the Fate of Saurfang, and even main story quests vary between infuriating - like Elune or boring - like Thrall and his mum killing Vyraz or having some good elements like the Venthyr and Revendreth chapters. In some regards this is actually worse for discussion because simply being collectively mediocre leads to less discussion than being actively, violently bad the way the entire Horde war campaign with the exception of 8.1's defense of Dazar'alor was.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

So this confirms that Sylvanas forcibly turned Anduin and he didn’t agree to it.

Clearly you didnt catch the part where Anduin thinks Sylvanas was made this way by the Jailer.

But yes, one has to wonder what Blizzard is actually thinking here. They clearly are working double-time trying to make Sylvanas not such a rotten excuse for a living being. But her actions really do speak louder than words here. Even if Blizzard manages to cook up an excuse that doesnt make Teldrassil burning completely abhorrent, they still have to contend with Sylvanas being an absolutely critical part of The Jailer's plans willingly.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

7+ Year Old Account

No, it confirmes they already planned to go against Zooval. I smell a redemption arc and I love it!

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Sylvanas redemption is one of the most obvious plot points WoW has ever seen, everything in 9.1 has been softening the blow and building up to Sylvanas getting redeemed now that her soul is restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    No, it confirmes they already planned to go against Zooval. I smell a redemption arc and I love it!
    It means the opposite.

The opposite, it implies she gives him his brain back after each outing so she can LARP as him being her partner and is desperately trying to sell him the plan and explain herself to him even once he's a mindslave. She's still fishing for his validation and is trying to justify her control of him at the cardinal moment while he tells her that she's a moron and that Satan is evil.

Like much of everything surrounding her SL-exclusive characterization, this'd be a fine character beat if it weren't for the double whammy of how this exact same character dynamic was(n't) handled with Delaryn in BFA and the fact that Anduin is no one to her. And of course the elephant in the room that is the fact that the Jailer didn't exist until two years ago so this desperate coping mechanism she's got going on as she looks for validation is based around a foundation we never see and a villain who's got all the raw charisma of a mannequin with a groucho marx mustache.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

7+ Year Old Account
    It means the opposite.
    No? Anduin double agent confirmed.

#TEAMGIRAFFE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Atia View Post
    No? Anduin double agent confirmed.
    It's not confirmed at all, he explains that he is still dominated against his will, just not constantly mind controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    it implies she gives him his brain back after each outing so she can LARP as him being her partner
    This

All I know is that without PTR we wouldn't have so many people bitching about Dagger in the Dark 2.0 in Mists to then continually add unintended loyalist quests to the Sadfang Chronicles, complete with an actually different end point where I got to drag Eitrigg around while people flung rotten fruit at him. We wouldn't have masterful self-destructions of story like the 'loyalty of the people' gig that rendered the plot into mush. PTR and full spoilers except for cinematics and end quests have shown their worth purely for being the most tangible effect player bitching has ever had on the story.
    I guess there are pros and cons to it, especially in regards to making hte story less infuriating, which as you mention does also make it less memorably bad.

8.1 would have had Tyrande lightly reprimand a Forsaken with her supposed godlike power instead of incinerating a batallion, which in turn could both lead to nothing, or lead to horribly out of character overcorrections on the part of Tyrande.

I do genuinely believe that the problems with the writing is theconstant course correction of an increasingly out of control ship, so to speak. Each story beat has to correct for a previous one that could not be changed for whatever reason, and because of this we end up with inane bullshit that only serves to make the plot increasingly schizophrenic.
    Being able to change some of these plotlines on the PTR, however minor might change these outcomes. However I have no idea whether for better or worse. It certainly would make it slightly more consistent I suppose, if only in the sense that the writers conscious or subconscious biases might go unchallenged like the Tyrande Night Warrior thing, or like you mentioned the turn from the Alliance player being humiliated to Vol'jin being humiliated in 5.3.

- - - Updated - - -

The opposite, it implies she gives him his brain back after each outing so she can LARP as him being her partner and is desperately trying to sell him the plan and explain herself to him even once he's a mindslave.
    I somehow doubt she gives him cnotrol back each time. What I got out of it was that Anduin is in a similar position to all the former Lich Kings, in a constant battle against the Jailer mentally, and that defying him takes willpower even when he isnt exeting direct control, at which point he has no ability to resist at all.

Regardless it just continues to paint Sylvanas as dunce supreme. At best she is desperate for validation in a rash decision, at worst she is willfully ignorant of how deep the chocolate river around her ankles is.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

7+ Year Old Account
    So, nothing.
    We got nothing new.
    At the end of the campaign no less, with 9.2 god knows how long away.

Just more lore drip feeding and "WaIT aNd SeE".

*sigh*
    At the very least, i hope this trend of more thoroughly animated cutscenes continues.
    Nice jump in quality compared to just utilizing emotes.

Formerly known as Arafal

A little confused to the responses to my post, so I'll explain.

"Sylvanas redemption arc" means a lot of things to a lot of different people. The OVERWHELMINGLY MENTIONED (from what I can see online) version is that she will be forgiven for all her crimes because of the soul-split and will become a hero with characters like Tyrande and Anduin forgiving her. Kind of like that one BFA comic.

Quite a few people speculated that Anduin and Sylvanas became a team in secret to overthrow the Jailer... this cutscene explicitly nixes that idea by following up the Shalamourne cutscene and revealing that Sylvanas "created" Puppet Anduin. He's sad and isn't happy with what she "created". There isn't some grand plan to overthrow the Jailer, she just straight up turned him instead of being a secret hero behind the scenes.

Yes, I think that Sylvanas will do something good in the end. Do I think she will come back to Azeroth or be granted a chief position in the Shadowlands and heralded as a hero with everyone forgiving her? No. Because as this cinematic shows she straight up made Anduin into a puppet to help the Jailer.

tl;dr Sylvanas may do something good but I don't think that's a "redemption arc" when she's still going to be punished as she keeps doing bad things. If it was revealed Anduin and her were working to overthrow the Jailer I may think otherwise, but nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    I do genuinely believe that the problems with the writing is theconstant course correction of an increasingly out of control ship, so to speak. Each story beat has to correct for a previous one that could not be changed for whatever reason, and because of this we end up with inane bullshit that only serves to make the plot increasingly schizophrenic.
    I wouldn't overstate the effect players have. While the loyalist route and to a much lesser extent the Vol'jin and Tyrande beats changed the way elements of the story were presented, the ultimate end points are never subject to change. It doesn't matter if you can wait and see with Nathanos for 4 patches or beat up Eitrigg while the Horde populace is pro-you when the switch will flip and Sylvanas will still ree out to follow a plan the devs haven't even decided yet and they all swap to peaceniks. In turn, no amount of Tyrande benefits will ultimately alter where her story has been leading from Day 1 and that is to forgive the Horde and Sylvanas because her story was never meant to exist as Blizzard don't care about WC3-style savage night elves and simply want to bring everyone to the state of null harmony as fast as possible.

I somehow doubt she gives him cnotrol back each time. What I got out of it was that Anduin is in a similar position to all the former Lich Kings, in a constant battle against the Jailer mentally, and that defying him takes willpower even when he isnt exeting direct control, at which point he has no ability to resist at all.

Regardless it just continues to paint Sylvanas as dunce supreme. At best she is desperate for validation in a rash decision, at worst she is willfully ignorant of how deep the chocolate river around her ankles is.
    I wouldn't compare Anduin to the LKs, since there it was always on and they were able to place their will upon the powers to a large enough extent. With Anduin it's implied he can tell when it's turned on and off since he corrects Sylvanas and tells her that he'll be placed under control again.

She is cast as a moron, but she's definitely having a conversation with real Anduin there and like he tells her, she's screwing herself over. She's definitely a moron, but her trying to escape from the consequences of imposing what she went through in terms of mind control onto someone else could be a decent enough character beat, especially as Anduin tells her she's full of shit. It simply isn't because none of the groundwork is there. This entire plot is premised on downplaying BFA as much as possible, but it still happened, and as we know nothing of how the Jailer got her on board the entire premise of her trust in this plan she's giving everything for under false pretense is left to our imagination and all we have is her putting all her eggs in the basket of turbo Satan.
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2021-08-10 at 04:45 PM.

She is cast as a moron, but she's definitely having a conversation with real Anduin there and like he tells her, she's screwing herself over. She's definitely a moron, but her trying to escape from the consequences of imposing what she went through in terms of mind control onto someone else could be a decent enough character beat, especially as Anduin tells her she's full of shit. It simply isn't because none of the groundwork is there. This entire plot is premised on downplaying BFA as much as possible, but it still happened, and as we know nothing of how the Jailer got her on board the entire premise of her trust in this plan she's giving everything for under false pretense is left to our imagination and all we have is her putting all her eggs in the basket of turbo Satan.
    We still don't know Zovaal's "problem" with reality so its yet to be seen if he and Sylvanas have a legitimate argument for the universe reboot. But it can be (and will be) argued that not getting into the main antagonist's motivation for literal year(s?) is bad writing.

The cycle is said to be flawed over and over again. Why? Check back in a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    So, nothing.
    We got nothing new.
    At the end of the campaign no less, with 9.2 god knows how long away.

Just more lore drip feeding and "WaIT aNd SeE".

*sigh*
    At the very least, i hope this trend of more thoroughly animated cutscenes continues.
    Nice jump in quality compared to just utilizing emotes.
    The actual quest isn't up yet from what I'm aware. It may have more to it, especially when the other chapters are somewhat lengthy.

Imagine including Thrall, Jaina, Anduin, people who've had 15 years of development in the patch about Sylvanas WINDRUNNER, but not Alleria (or the third useless sister).

And people want to pretend "Alliance bias" is a thing KEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Imagine including Thrall, Jaina, Anduin, people who've had 15 years of development in the patch about Sylvanas WINDRUNNER, but not Alleria (or the third useless sister).

And people want to pretend "Alliance bias" is a thing KEK.
    I unironically think that Alleria isn't used in this expansion because she will feature heavily in the next one (Turalyon plot) and some characters like Jaina and Anduin may be taking a break next expansion.