Quote Originally Posted by Alexjimithing View Post
    How do you have any idea how much value the Darkspear place on reading? Besides assuming based on their “shitty shacks”.

It’s like you aren’t aware Warcraft lore previously established the Darkspear AREN’T some illiterate society.
    Abundance of reading material? You know, the thing that directly correlates with the literacy of a society. The reason why you can directly trace jumps in literacy rate to innovations in the easy of producing reading material.

Like if you want to pretend that the Stormwind people who learn to fight in and around an abbey where many of the rooms are stuffed full of bookshelves, and the Echo Isles people who learn to fight in and around... maybe a few scrolls? are going to have similar levels of literacy in their two societies, be my guest. But that completely defies all logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Trolls are Rome in this situation, not Mesopotamia. You're going off just the aesthetics of ONE tribe who were forced to be nomadic because of the Alliance.
    No, I'm going off their technological level and the importance placed on things in their society. Ancient Troll civilizations spent their time worshipping Loa, perfecting rituals, conquering and eating each other, and honing their abilities with voodoo, not stealing maths and sciences from a better, older civilization that had fallen on hard times and innovating infrastructure and political conventions.

I'll bite though. Do you want to look up the literacy rate for Rome?
    Or Italy in the renaissance? Or England in the Industrial Revolution?
    Last edited by Hitei; 2022-04-27 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    I really hope the Dark Ranger customizations are extensive and not just "now you get red eyes! its just like how night elves got black eyes!"
    The what? I don't think that's confirmed though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ersula View Post
    Seems like those wouldn't be very effective if his fellow trolls couldn't read them.
    Again. So a few trolls being able to read means all trolls can automatically read? Everyone still has to learn and it is possible for people not to learn something.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    I don't know how "combining" the awful and forced choices would make any better, instead of simple allowing other options like dragons do
    Because it would be a whole lot of work to fit new customizations to every race probably. And some of them might just look plain dumb with them.

As I said the forms don't represent a "belf with dragon stuff" in lore specifically, just a more mortal like humanoid form that holds aspects of the Dracthyr's true form.

Also Dracthyr aren't the same as dragons, so makes sense they cant do the same. Until we see a Dracthyr NPC of a specific race IMO it means they can't be too picky about their visage. Because while the current visages look like a blood elf, they can't actually be a belf like true dragons can
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Man, you are so insanely salty about whole Dracthyr ordeal, it's amazing. Once again taking lore and story of a video game way too serious.
    If you didn't notice we are talking about trolls here.

People like to think just because they, tauren orcs, or other races who are not human-ish with their kingdoms and blablabla, are supposed to be uncivilized

The same biased and racist argument that make the authors of the book put an blood elf to teach a troll how to read and write his own language

Well, maybe the writers didn't even trolls have a unique language to begin with

If you are not pleased about my comments you are free to use the ignore function, instead of "stating" that all the time you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Abundance of reading material? You know, the thing that directly correlates with the literacy of a society. The reason why you can directly trace jumps in literacy rate to innovations in the easy of producing reading material.

Like if you want to pretend that the Stormwind people who learn to fight in and around an abbey where many of the rooms are stuffed full of bookshelves, and the Echo Isles people who learn to fight in and around... maybe a few scrolls? are going to have similar levels of literacy in their two societies, be my guest. But that completely defies all logic.
    So in video games if a race’s home city isn’t surrounded by books you just assume illiteracy, regardless of pre-existing lore and the context of why the home city is the way it is.

Uh huh. Yeah. Sounds good.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you didn't notice we are talking about trolls here.
    If you are not pleased about my comments you are free to use the ignore function, instead of "stating" that all the time you know?
    If you are not human or elf looking, or if you have a tribal lifestyle you obvious are uncivilized in wow, thats the rule. /s

But you can only chose to be a blood elf male or a human female

And they basically confirm no tuskarr allied race, lame, i expected that, if isn't an elf reskin isn't going to be ingame.
    Talking about trolls intensifies. You as well could chill the fuck out and stop taking Blizz design choices so personal and act all insulted about them. Designing the game is all about the choice. Why DH's and not Wardens? Why Castle Nathria and not Drust raid? Blizz picks what they think fits, what they think they can do in given time and what they think is popular. And taking their decisions so damn personal is childish and reeks off entitlement.
    Last edited by Makabreska; 2022-04-27 at 06:17 PM.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadochi View Post
    Because it would be a whole lot of work to fit new customizations to every race probably. And some of them might just look plain dumb with them.
    If we are going into "not adding things because they look dumb" this race would not exist in the first place.

Maybe it would take a lot of less work if they didn't expend the budget making different pointless combinations of haircolors? either way, adding some painted scales and horns should not be a big of a deal since wow isn't an indie company.

And, they could simple allow the options without the customizations, people would be perfectly fine with that, or just add the options later as expansions go.
    As I said the forms don't represent a "belf with dragon stuff" in lore specifically, just a more mortal like humanoid form that holds aspects of the Dracthyr's true form.
    Assume the form of a humanoid for visage, thats the stuff, you can't represent "something that doesn't exist" that Coincidentally look like an elf or a human

Also Dracthyr aren't the same as dragons, so makes sense they cant do the same. Until we see a Dracthyr NPC of a specific race IMO it means they can't be too picky about their visage. Because while the current visages look like a blood elf, they can't actually be a belf like true dragons can
    they have the power of all dragonflights, and can assume a mortal visage just like then, they even have the same ceremony, it makes no sense that, coincidentally, they can only assume one form, and coincidentally its an elf/human hybrid

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Talking about trolls intensifies. You as well could chill the fuck out and stop taking Blizz design choices so personal and act all insulted about them.
    right? two different posts talking about two different posts?

And how are you to say what i should or should not do? lol, now i have to consult you if i should talk about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    The what? I don't think that's confirmed though.
    People in here interpreted Danuser's answer in the Spaces as being subtle confirmation of 9.2.5. dark ranger customizations.

7+ Year Old Account
    They should've used the interactions in the book to establish some cultural exchange between the characters.

Instead of portraying Zekhan like they did, they could've had him learn a bit of Thalassian instead and had him teach Lor'themar some Zandali words and phrases in turn.

Formerly known as Arafal

So in video games if a race’s home city isn’t surrounded by books you just assume illiteracy, regardless of pre-existing lore and the context of why the home city is the way it is.

Uh huh. Yeah. Sounds good.
    If a video game takes place in a time period where reading and writing are the exception, not the norm, and a society appears to give absolutely no shit about texts, then yes. I assume illiteracy, why would you not? If you see a race's landlocked city that has no boats, and few if any fishing poles or nets, do you assume that everyone in that race is competent at fishing?

Go ahead and quote me the lore saying the average/majority of Darkspear trolls are literate. Or any race's citizens besides maybe gnomes, pandaren, dalaran humans, goblins, blood elves and dwarves.

How are these random farmers and fighters of yours finding time and teacher to learn to read and write and pick up terms like "erosion"?

7+ Year Old Account
    And how are you to say what i should or should not do? lol, now i have to consult you if i should talk about something.
    I mean, we have here Tinker fixated people, Void fixated people, world revamp fixated people and many more. I think we can fit an anti-elf fixated guy. If this is your idea of posting for the next few months, waiting for some more Dracthyr development and immediately jumping in, fuming about their visage race pick and acting like it personally insults you, then so be it. Just one more attraction of MMO-C speculation thread.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Yeah? You wanna go look up Mesopotamian literacy rates, chief?
    To be fair, those weren't actually that low. There were plenty of written records, and it was common enough that there was once a Mesopotamian businessman who kept a whole shack full of tablets inscribed with complaints about his shady business practices.

If a video game takes place in a time period where reading and writing are the exception, not the norm, and a society appears to give absolutely no shit about texts, then yes. I assume illiteracy, why would you not? If you see a race's landlocked city that has no boats, and few if any fishing poles or nets, do you assume that everyone in that race is competent at fishing?

Go ahead and quote me the lore saying the average/majority of Darkspear trolls are literate. Or any race's citizens besides maybe gnomes, pandaren, dalaran humans, goblins, blood elves and dwarves.
    How do you know reading/writing are the exception in WoW’s universe?

Zabra could read Common and brought back books for others to read. There’s no reason to assume illiteracy.

If you are not pleased about my comments you are free to use the ignore function
    The ignore list is the only thing that makes this forum bearable.

Tuskarr would be too powerful as an Allied Race!
    I hate it here.

5+ Year Old Account

How are these random farmers and fighters of yours finding time and teacher to learn to read and write and pick up terms like "erosion"?
    Are we still trying to justify that dumb racist book? Troll civilization has a longer history on Azeroth than the fucking Titans. Only an ignorant cunt would think they have anything to learn from the Blood Elves. And you aren't one, Hitei, so please stop acting like one.
    Last edited by Wangming; 2022-04-27 at 06:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Zabra could read Common and brought back books for others to read. There’s no reason to assume illiteracy.
    Isn't that using the false assumption that a few literate people means all are literate? Isn't it entirely possible that a character could not learn those things even if most of his fellow did?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man reading over that Twitter Spaces recap makes me somehow less excited. Mostly because it was a lot of "things will work the same way they did in Shadowlands."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Man reading over that Twitter Spaces recap makes me somehow less excited. Mostly because it was a lot of "things will work the same way they did in Shadowlands."
    what specifically? The worst parts of shadowlands have all been changed or removed in DF.