Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zantheus1993 View Post
    You know why I say the systems were better??
    Because in order to play my alt all I needed was gear and the class was complete.
    Tend to happen when there is jack shit to do on main (also not 100% true, there was also legendary questline and people min-maxed garrison for free pieces of gear from current or even higher difiiculty you completed). That was good side effect of horrible and outdated design, not good design.

Of course system where extra stuff to do like in Legion (so people with 1 char has some content for character progress), but completely account-wide (so people with alts have their freedom) would be superior to both older and modern design. But it was Legion, right now in 9.1.5 we are pretty close to that, especially if new stuff from 9.2 will be either account-wide (flying, 2nd lego) or not relevant for progression.

10+ Year Old Account
    In retrospect, I have to wonder how much of this comes from the seeming thought that a major patch needs to have a large raid behind it. As we get more content types & more content setup, I feel like that is really holding back the dev team. Imagine how different things might look if we had a patch launch in March 2021 with Tazavesh, some Torghast updates, & a bit of plot exposition. At the very least, Tazavesh would feel far less like wasted effort than it seems to currently...it probably would've been a solid gearing boost to help with Nathria until SoD was ready. Mechagon was kind of covered up by Nazjatar in the same way, though it had more to do overall.

Compare that with the updated Karazhan dungeon that released in 7.1 alongside a fairly small Trial of Valor raid. It had it's own room to breathe which allowed it to feel important, plus it gave a good gearing step to prep for the Nighthold raid which was released about three months later. I ran that one quite a few times for gear whereas Tazavesh I ran twice (once on Normal, once on Hard for the mount) & never looked at it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not so much a big patch having to have a raid. Blizz had a decent formula like in Mist. .1 was sorta smallish then .2 was big, then .3 was bigish. It worked didn't need to change except whats in the patches outside of new zone and raid).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Its not so much a big patch having to have a raid. Blizz had a decent formula like in Mist. .1 was sorta smallish then .2 was big, then .3 was bigish. It worked didn't need to change except whats in the patches outside of new zone and raid).
    It's not good formula when patches launch only during first half of expansion. Legion had perfect balance and timing, we don't really need other examples. Moving raid/season to minor patches was genius move - but that require fast X.1, where both SL and BfA failed.

Few years ago I thought 7.0 and 7.1 could be little longer to make patches even more close to each other, but I changed mind. Keeping momentum on first months is very imporant as well as giving few months to breathe before next expac.

I personally don't think the expansion will be The Dragon Isles at all. I think people got it correct with Legion but ever since then the guesses have been way off.

I think we will get something that is not as expected. Maybe a Xalatath/Ethereal expansion out in space.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Wu View Post
    I personally don't think the expansion will be The Dragon Isles at all. I think people got it correct with Legion but ever since then the guesses have been way off.

I think we will get something that is not as expected. Maybe a Xalatath/Ethereal expansion out in space.
    They still heavily implied more down-to-earth Azeroth expac.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    I have a hard time believing the two ideas people have come up with that are the likeliest in their minds are the ones that will happen: Light or Dragon Isles.

Obviously I am biased as I want them to take a step back and chill out and not remove themselves from Azeroth again by coating an Azeroth based expansion with something else laying on top of what is discernably the best idea for 10.0 in a new starting point for the canon with Azeroth as the starting point.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

I wish people would stop acting like Metzens writing was any better than Danusers.

Anything people criticize with Danuser, also applies to Metzen. If you bitch about Danuser, but praise Metzen in the same sentence, then you might need to get your brain checked.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    I wish people would stop acting like Metzens writing was any better than Danusers.

Anything people criticize with Danuser, also applies to Metzen. If you bitch about Danuser, but praise Metzen in the same sentence, then you might need to get your brain checked.
    Oh yes, did they all forgot Green Jesus?
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    They still heavily implied more down-to-earth Azeroth expac.
    I mean not even implied.

They said a grounded expansion. So it's not gonna be space or Lifelands.

Though have we all stopped talking seriously about BFA 2? Because if that's the best we have then this game is doomed.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Oh yes, did they all forgot Green Jesus?
    Or the Draenei.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I mean not even implied.

Though have we all stopped talking seriously about BFA 2? Because if that's the best we have then this game is doomed.
    Well, MoP was also grounded. So there's a range of possibilities. Personally, i'd prefer something 1001 nights style.

Bloodsail Admiral Foreign Exchange Ztudent's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account

Except you can't apply it to Metzen or Danuser because we have no idea when either story ended and also again this is a ridiculous strawman ad-hominem.

Danuser has clearly showcased with this expansion alone that he is not fit for fight and I don't really think his vision for the next book is going to pan out correctly for a multi billion dollar franchise.

Even if we assert that Late Legion is when Danuser and his Narrative Team started on this awkward journey or if we assert it wasn't until Shadowlands that it was fully seized. Regardless the narrative has been beyond subpar for a multi billion dollar franchise.

As long as they stick to one cohesive storyline without adding 2-3 other expansion ideas in the same expansion, we should be good. Let's hope not for a Emerald Nightmare or Azshara/N'zoth situation where stories get shoved in just for hype and excitement when they should pace them out more.
    Last edited by Foreign Exchange Ztudent; 2021-12-20 at 07:34 PM.
    I no longer reply to quotations beyond if you're asking a genuine question or have a non-confrontational stance.

Nihil.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Or the Draenei.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, MoP was also grounded. So there's a range of possibilities. Personally, i'd prefer something 1001 nights style.
    Oh yeah you can do a lot with grounded. Just specifically "Etheral Planet Space Expansion" and "Lifelands" are off the table.

Personally I'd like to see Blizz do something big and with the long-term in mind. Actually plan two expansions out and make 10.0 the "calm before the storm" where there's an actual planned storm instead of "we didn't plan a storm so here's N'Zoth in 10.3"
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sub par.....right @_@
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Exchange Ztudent View Post
    Except you can't apply it to Metzen or Danuser because we have no idea when either story ended and also again this is a ridiculous strawman ad-hominem.

Danuser has clearly showcased with this expansion alone that he is not fit for fight and I don't really think his vision for the next book is going to pan out correctly for a multi billion dollar franchise.

Even if we assert that Late Legion is when Danuser and his Narrative Team started on this awkward journey or if we assert it wasn't until Shadowlands that it was fully seized. Regardless the narrative has been beyond subpar for a multi billion dollar franchise.

As long as they stick to one cohesive storyline without adding 2-3 other expansion ideas in the same expansion, we should be good. Let's hope not for a Emerald Nightmare or Azshara/N'zoth situation where stories get shoved in just for hype and excitement when they should pace them out more.
    Why does it matter when who took over. The fact that you can't tell when Danuser takes over just shows that they are both shoddy writers.

And it's been like that since the start. Warcraft had never had noteworthy writing or story telling. The only difference is that Danuser actually tried to have a story thread. (I mean, sure, they tried that with Garrosh but he literally was a completely different character in every expansion he appeared in lmao so it might as well not count).

Metzen retconned just as much. Metzen struggled just as much with villain motives. Metzen struggled just as much with consistent writing. His self-insert was even more obnoxious.

But sure, he is "old Blizzard" therefore he is perfect.

Why does it matter when who took over. The fact that you can't tell when Danuser takes over just shows that they are both shoddy writers.

And it's been like that since the start. Warcraft had never had noteworthy writing or story telling. The only difference is that Danuser actually tried to have a story thread. (I mean, sure, they tried that with Garrosh but he literally was a completely different character in every expansion he appeared in lmao so it might as well not count).

Metzen retconned just as much. Metzen struggled just as much with villain motives. Metzen struggled just as much with consistent writing. His self-insert was even more obnoxious.

Blizzard could reanimate the corpses of Shakespeare and Tolkien then have them craft the next 15 expansions worth of lore and there'd still be people on this forum complaining that the "story sucks" because Blizzard failed to buff Mages for the fifth patch in a row. This shallow, vapid, pointlessly cynical community wouldn't know good writing even if it were staring them in the face and even then I'd wager most of them would bitch about "having to read quest text to understand the story," anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Blizzard could reanimate the corpses of Shakespeare and Tolkien then have them craft the next 15 expansions worth of lore and there'd still be people on this forum complaining that the "story sucks" because Blizzard failed to buff Mages for the fifth patch in a row. This shallow, vapid, pointlessly cynical community wouldn't know good writing even if it were staring them in the face and even then I'd wager most of them would bitch about "having to read quest text to understand the story," anyway.
    Yes to a degree this is true but some things I do agree with people theres been "Wait why is that happening?"

Its very rare though.

Warrior-Magi

Exactly the same applies to most characters though, Sylvanas especially. Looking bakc it's clear that they wanted to build up her actions in Shadowlands, but each expansion felt like a drastic swerve in her characterization, most noticeably BfA Sylvanas feeling like an entirely different character to Legion and SL Sylvanas.
    First she is ambigously evil, then she is the most evil character in the game, and suddenly she is back to supposedly just being an idiot.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Exactly the same applies to most characters though, Sylvanas especially. Looking bakc it's clear that they wanted to build up her actions in Shadowlands, but each expansion felt like a drastic swerve in her characterization, most noticeably BfA Sylvanas feeling like an entirely different character to Legion and SL Sylvanas.
    First she is ambigously evil, then she is the most evil character in the game, and suddenly she is back to supposedly just being an idiot.
    I mean, to be honest, the only time she feels out of character is in Legion and any of the books.

BfA -> Shadowlands makes logical sense if you disregard any of the novels or short stories.

I mean not even implied.

They're not exactly as limited as that. What they actually do is alternate between "cosmic/spiritual" & "analog" expansions. While Warlords of Draenor was another planet in an alternate timeline, that was considered an analog, non-cosmic, expansion, because of its wood & bone, sword & sorcery vibe. While Legion was (at first) centered on Azeroth, that featured space-ships, so it was considered "cosmic". Basically its an alternating of how close they aim for the classic tabletop D&D aesthetic. So even taking that into consideration, it could be on another planet, but that planet won't look very "Alien" like Draenor didn't.

But their biggest motif is having the events of the last expansion lead into the next. We have to take existing story threads into consideration. That's why I always point to Alleria's unhealthy pre-occupation with the sunwell. Or perhaps that "black god" the Speaker of Elune described as her evil counterpart.
    Last edited by Ersula; 2021-12-20 at 09:47 PM.