Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

You shouldn't do that. I'm pretty sure both professions, which are highly unionized in most places, can speak for themselves.

The concept isn't. Your method of doing so, replete with, "DEMOCRATS HAVE TOTALLY ALREADY LOST THE 2022 MIDTERMS!" and "WHY HAVEN'T THEY DONE A YEARS WORTH OF LEGISLATION IN LESS THAN ONE MONTH?!" complaints.

That's the thing, we're on the same side of this issue. Democrats shouldn't narrow the limits. I'm just not doomsaying and pearl clutching over it.

They deserve a lot more than that, including a functional federal response to a pandemic to hopefully shorten how long it drags on. And don't forget service workers who are being forced into potentially dangerous conflict management and de-escalation situations on a daily basis because apparently that's fine to add their their job roles at minimum wage.
    I agree with most of what you said, but I did make sure to say "if they go through with this, they will lose the midterms". I think there's still a chance they might not, hopefully.

I think we're mostly in agreement about everything, especially service workers god damn it breaks my heart the shit they're going through as I also used to work retail (thankfully not during the pandemic). I think I just have less faith in Democrats even though I do very much want to be wrong on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    So, exactly as I said then? Neat.
    Doesnt count, unless you say on twitter or have Jeff Stein misquote you on it.

Otherwise, BErniebros don't consider it a real thing.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN reports that the DoJ is about to ask all remaining Trump appointed AGs to resign.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    CNN reports that the DoJ is about to ask all remaining Trump appointed AGs to resign.
    So in other words shit is about to hit the fan and if you want to leave on your own terms do so now.

Or am I wrong?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    So in other words shit is about to hit the fan and if you want to leave on your own terms do so now.

Or am I wrong?
    I don't think you're wrong, and I think most admins have a lot of turnover from the previous. In this case, I just think it's going to be done a little faster. They might have some investigations they're thinking about.

10+ Year Old Account

Or am I wrong?
    I’m surprised it’s taken this long for them to make that ultimatum, frankly.

I think it’s fairly safe to assume that anyone appointed by trump and who still remains at this point is either at best massively under qualified and at worst a trump sycophant.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

What drugs were these people on to come up with the term Obamanuts? seriously that's kindergarten level name calling aside from that everything is wrong Obama's main fault was that he was at his heart a centrist dead set on creating his legacy as the first black president. His failures were because he wanted to be above politics and was laser focused on the history books which lead to the decline of the party among many things under his 8 years.

Or am I wrong?
    Near as I can tell, this is pretty typical for new administrations. The only thing that tends to differ is the requested timeframe on their resignations. Clinton and Trump both requested everyone's immediate resignations, while Bush and Obama asked them to stay on until their replacements were confirmed.

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) deported at least 72 people to Haiti on Monday, including a two-month-old baby and 21 other children, in an apparent flagrant breach of the Biden administration’s orders only to remove suspected terrorists and potentially dangerous convicted felons.
    The children were deported to Haiti on Monday on two flights chartered by Ice from Laredo, Texas to the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince. The removals sent vulnerable infants back to Haiti as it is being roiled by major political unrest.

Ice is facing a rising chorus of denunciation as a “rogue agency” for its apparent refusal to abide by the new guidelines laid down by Biden and his homeland security secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas. The incoming administration ordered a 100-day moratorium on all deportations, which was temporarily blocked by a judge in Texas.
    However, the judge’s restraining order left in place the new guidelines stipulating that only the most serious immigration cases should be subject to deportation.
    Last Friday, the administration appeared to gain the upper hand in its attempt to rein in Ice when deportation flights to Haiti were suspended. But on Monday the immigration agency reasserted itself again with the renewed flights to Port-au-Prince, children and infants on board.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...i-deportations

Ice is a fucking rogue agency that needs to be disbanded entirely.

And a few days ago it was said ice was threatening people with coronavirus.

https://theintercept.com/2021/02/06/...m-deportation/

“They were forcing us out of the dorm, pushing and dragging us,” Fozao said, explaining the altercation when the guards tried to force them to submit to the deportation. “They threatened to call the SWAT team. They said they were going to put all of us into Bravo-Alpha, which is for quarantine, where they keep everyone with coronavirus.”

The Pine Prairie facility, which is operated by the private prison firm GEO Group, currently has 21 confirmed coronavirus cases, according to ICE’s own tracker.

After the threat of contagion, guards forcefully dragged and pushed the group of Cameroonian asylum-seekers — five in total — yelling at them and repeatedly threatening them in an attempt to begin the deportation process, three of the detainees involved told The Intercept.

All five of the men had spent over a year in detention, said the three asylum-seekers, after fleeing a brutal and homicidal regime in Cameroon that has been targeting protesters supporting, or even adjacent to, the Anglophone separatist movement. In recent years, there have been massacres and mass atrocities in Cameroon — what some observers are calling a genocide — sparking increasing numbers to flee in search of safety. Nonetheless, the U.S. grant rate of asylum applications for Cameroonians plummeted over the last year and, as recently as last November, Cameroonians were deported en masse. Some of the deported were detained and tortured upon arrival back in the country, according to returned asylum-seekers I’ve spoken with.
    Last edited by Themius; 2021-02-09 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

lets face it they were the loyal to trump guys. if his coup had legs they would have been the foot soildiers doing the wet work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

And a few days ago it was said ice was threatening people with coronavirus.

https://theintercept.com/2021/02/06/...m-deportation/
    This is where I have beef with Biden, sure its early in his term, but ICE is #1 on my list, and ending their crimes would be my highest priority were I in office. The inaction while people continue to suffer is unacceptable. They need to be brought to heel and justice served to the criminals who participate in these offenses.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    This is where I have beef with Biden, sure its early in his term, but ICE is #1 on my list, and ending their crimes would be my highest priority were I in office. The inaction while people continue to suffer is unacceptable. They need to be brought to heel and justice served to the criminals who participate in these offenses.
    I think there are at least a dozen different issues that co-occupy the "#1" slot and it's impossible to address them all at once. The most pressing--and the one that's currently getting the most attention--is the pandemic and trying to get policy through to save hundreds of thousands (if not millions) is occupying a lot of resources. I also think that he's trying to get his Cabinet through the Senate so that the real work can start.

Either abolishing or completely rebuilding ICE is also important for me, but given that he's been in office less than a month and has, so far, been trying to deliver on many of the plans he had drawn up during the election I feel he's earned some time to get shit sorted out before everyone jumps down his throat for the other zillion problems the Trump administration left behind for him to clean up. As I've mentioned several times here in the past, Biden wasn't even in my top 5 during the Primaries and I still wish we'd have sworn in President Warren in January, but he's moving in the right direction pretty quickly all things considered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I think there are at least a dozen different issues that co-occupy the "#1" slot and it's impossible to address them all at once. The most pressing--and the one that's currently getting the most attention--is the pandemic and trying to get policy through to save hundreds of thousands (if not millions) is occupying a lot of resources. I also think that he's trying to get his Cabinet through the Senate so that the real work can start.

Either abolishing or completely rebuilding ICE is also important for me, but given that he's been in office less than a month and has, so far, been trying to deliver on many of the plans he had drawn up during the election I feel he's earned some time to get shit sorted out before everyone jumps down his throat for the other zillion problems the Trump administration left behind for him to clean up. As I've mentioned several times here in the past, Biden wasn't even in my top 5 during the Primaries and I still wish we'd have sworn in President Warren in January, but he's moving in the right direction pretty quickly all things considered.
    I'm not an unreasonable person, nobody can please everyone all of the time, and it is perfectly reasonable for me to point out where I am not pleased. You don't say anything I didn't take into consideration, but I still feel the way I do, and I will continue to feel that way until ICE is taken care of.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    HuffPo just put out an article about the first draft of stimulus... yaddy yaddy yadda... I am getting paid!!!

I’ll invest it in local businesses, via my stomach.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    I’ll invest it in local businesses, via my stomach.
    You joke (maybe?) but this is actually a huge help. The restaurant industry has adapted, but only because people like you continue to support them. There's something like 15 million Americans working in the restaurant industry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    You joke (maybe?) but this is actually a huge help. The restaurant industry has adapted, but only because people like you continue to support them. There's something like 15 million Americans working in the restaurant industry.
    Oh no, totally serious... One of the places we used to frequent in person, recognized my order, even though we got delivery through uber. They left a note to just order directly through them and they will drive it to me... to skip the uber fee...

Edit: They have their own delivery now... If you are around south seattle, give them a shot:
    https://www.iwantsomebigboys.com/

The 808 is my favorite, but everything is fantastic.

I’d recommend going in, when covid is settled... fantastic... hilarious people... A lot of fun, even with strangers like me.
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-02-09 at 06:11 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    One of the places we used to frequent in person, recognized my order
    Heh, yeah, there's a place down the street that like instantly went to take-out, they know there's one special they can post on FB that will 90% get me to stop by.

10+ Year Old Account
    These OMB hearings....
    Who hates US liberals more; cosplay leftists or conservatives?

Very online peoplwe complaining that Neera was mean to them.
    Being mean, really just called out their bullshit publically.
    Government Affiliated Snark

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2A92MH

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Tuesday that President Joe Biden was open to limiting coronavirus relief by income,
    GOD DAMNIT NEOLIBERAL AUSTERITY BIDEN!

and was disinclined to give aid to people who make more than $250,000.
    GO...od? This seems good. I can live with this.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2A92MH

GOD DAMNIT NEOLIBERAL AUSTERITY BIDEN!

GO...od? This seems good. I can live with this.
    Lol, I think we saw the same news story and had the same response.