Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    y'all just don't like admitting that we don't have a real solution to the problem, and will not for many years. Government regulation will never fix the climate, but it will make lots of people rich in politics.
    Says the guy that wants to do NOTHING, while we are doing something. And government regulation absolutely is the only way that it will probably attempt to fix the problem. Because without bare minimum requirements, then companies like Koch, Exxon, and other oil companies, will do anything they can to pollute.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    We do, though. Cutting carbon emissions.

"Because I say so" isn't a particularly compelling argument, sweaty.

Again, we have a perfect example of how the free market copes with climate change in what's happening with Texas right now. And the answer is "badly".
    So we are looking at a minimum of 100 years to cut Carbon by enough to make a difference. The solution sucks, I'm sorry. We need Technology not invented yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    No I'm talking about the Free Market that created the fastest Vaccine development in the history of Mankind
    And is massively shitting the bed at actually distributing that vaccine, so....

Yeah. I don't buy for a second 'the free market' had anything to do with Katalin Kariko's work, because the fastest vaccine development has in fact been over forty years in the making thanks to largely publicly funded programs.

and will soon show financial incentive to live and travel to Mars.
    Yes, because as we all know human spaceflight as we understand it isn't the result of two massive government programs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    ...Except that there are solutions, it's just that bought-out politicians and large fossil fuel corporations are fighting tooth and nail against the solutions.

It seems your extended vacation hasn't helped your problem-solving or comprehension issues.
    Lets here a real solution that fixes Climate change within 30 years then with current technology?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, because as we all know human spaceflight as we understand it isn't the result of two massive government programs.
    Oh god, you don't know do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets here a real solution that fixes Climate change within 30 years then with current technology?
    South Australia says hi.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    We were within months of competing our goals for Paris Accord and selling technology to countries in the Accord that were trying to keep up, until Trump pulled out. My guess, we will need to catch up after 4 years of Trump, then sell the technology. Just years after we should have...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that Musk is going to make an absolute arse of himself by sending a crew to Mars that's going to end up dying due to corner cutting, if that's what you're asking.

Not seeing how that's relevant to the US and USSR's space programs making private spaceflight a possibility in the first place though, lol.

Considering how you constantly embarrass yourself by revealing how little you know, you likely know nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Considering how you constantly embarrass yourself by revealing how little you know, you likely know nothing.
    Biden should have hired an Exxon CEO as his Secretary of State... I am sure prices would have dropped them... @Jeezy911 if Biden appointed big oil and their lobbyists to prominent government position... Like Trump did... What would market predictors say about oil prices?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Correction: His character pretends to not know anything. Honestly it's kind of impressive how well someone can play the part of an arrogant contrarian know-nothing without becoming a blatant parody of their policy positions, and I guess it was easier to keep this act going when they decided to take a break just long enough to not have to defend any of Trump's horrible COVID decisions, the deadly insurrection attempt, or even just the election where we got to watch the election lies die in real time.

You guys should be happy. This is the Utopia we have all been dreaming of, full progressive control with a Lifetime politician suffering from dementia driving the ship. Will be glorious if nothing else.
    Didn't we just have a politician you wanted to make lifetime with dementia a little over a month ago?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

We do, though. Cutting carbon emissions.
    Are you ready to tax Americans to pay Chinese to do that?

Because that is what it would take.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Seeing as how Americans are already paying taxes... we are all set.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is the most hilarious take you’ve had yet.
    Still bitter they had to tax Russians, to pay America for jeans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Carbon capture is the obvious one, to directly reduce greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

City geoscaping to reduce heat reflection back into the environment. We already have special paints for roads and adding greenery to buildings has proven to absorb a lot of energy.

Obviously a more sustainable and ecologically friendly would be to increase the population of CO2 converting microorganisms in the oceans to do it without human intervention, but for that we need to reduce the temp in the oceans first.

There isn't a single magic bullet.

There are dozens of things we could be doing, and sitting with our thumbs up our asses saying "oh woe is us, there's nothing we can do" isn't one of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. It's still less onerous than far higher costs involved in doing fuck all, if you're insisting on this bad faith argument.

"I shouldn't have to brush my teeth if my friend Billy doesn't because his parents are negligent" continues to be a moronic and childish worldview.

This is such an ignorant yet typical mentality that is part and parcel with conservative ideology.

"If it can't be fixed perfectly or be fixed by one piece of effort....then I'm justified in not wanting it." - All American Conservatives
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Are you ready to tax Americans to pay Chinese to do that? Because that is what it would take.
    You wanted Americans to pay for a useless wall that was promised Mexico would pay for.

Sure. It's still less onerous than far higher costs involved in doing fuck all, if you're insisting on this bad faith argument.
    Actually i'm serious. Do you think it can be worth it - that is, pouring your money into authoritarian governments to get carbon emissions fixed - and take priority over other considerations, geopolitical or humanitarian?

Or would American people/establishment rebel and elect someone else at first opportunity just to keep China down before they would consider that?

- - - Updated - - -

You wanted Americans to pay for a useless wall that was promised Mexico would pay for.
    Do you think working with China to fix carbon emissions is just as useless as The Wall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    This is such an ignorant yet typical mentality that is part and parcel with conservative ideology.

"If it can't be fixed perfectly or be fixed by one piece of effort....then I'm justified in not wanting it." - All American Conservatives
    Don't forget the "But what if it doesn't work? Then we wasted everything, so let's not even try."

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually i'm serious. Do you think it can be worth it - that is, pouring your money into authoritarian governments
    This is how I know you're not serious, because you're attacking a strawman by insinuating that people that want action on climate change support this. Rofl.

"If we take action on climate change that will just cripple us economically and send all our money to Chyna" is a stupid zero sum argument that isn't actually based on anything besides fearmongering from the fossil fuel sector.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-23 at 04:14 PM.