Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I think you forgot that he believes history doesn’t mean anything for the future
    I did forget. I guess according to @PC2 if fire burned you once you can’t possibly know if it will burn again.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-04-06 at 01:58 PM.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I don't mind all the write-offs such as for research and development. It's good for innovation if they spend money on certain things and get to keep their earnings.
    What right offs? GOP banned stem cell research. They demonized alternative energy grants as progressives going crazy.

Obviously you disagree and that's fine but shouldn't you be blaming Democrats since they have political power right now? Are they planning on closing most of the tax writes-offs you don't like?
    Knowing the definition of conservative and how that works with innovation, you might want to check how much money Biden’s infrastructure bill has allocated to research and development. Democrats were the ones that funded energy alternatives and stem cell research, until GOP galvanized their conservative brood to rally against innovation as being against god. Why innovate, when you can just continue to subsidize your rich friends?

If so then you don't have to worry about it anymore, if not then you need to be communicating with them because you can't expect other groups like right wingers, corporations, or libertarians to support your economic ideology.
    If Democrats had 60 votes, we would be discussing the impact of Biden’s subsidies and tax breaks towards innovation. Instead of using history to claim “right wingers, corporations, or libertarians to support your economic ideology”... because, your assessment of history is absurd. Neither corporations nor libertarians supported a stem cell research ban... so... you are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Now, don't get me wrong, corporations also have Democrats in their pockets as well, but there are some that probably wouldn't be hurt that much, if they paid more than zero in taxes.
    The big difference is that Trump is a corporation. Tellison was a CEO of a corporation. Bush did own a baseball team as part of his corporation. Dick Chainy was the head of Haliburton.

It’s the difference between being in their pocket vs the ones wearing the trench coat.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What right offs? GOP banned stem cell research. They demonized alternative energy grants as progressives going crazy.

Knowing the definition of conservative and how that works with innovation, you might want to check how much money Biden’s infrastructure bill has allocated to research and development. Democrats were the ones that funded energy alternatives and stem cell research, until GOP galvanized their conservative brood to rally against innovation as being against god. Why innovate, when you can just continue to subsidize your rich friends?

If Democrats had 60 votes, we would be discussing the impact of Biden’s subsidies and tax breaks towards innovation. Instead of using history to claim “right wingers, corporations, or libertarians to support your economic ideology”... because, your assessment of history is absurd. Neither corporations nor libertarians supported a stem cell research ban... so... you are wrong.
    Fascinating tidbit!

The Joe Biden presidency has added more jobs than the past three GOP administrations combined!
    Also, the past three GOP presidencies each drove the economy into the ditch.

Just facts, sooreez about GOP feelings....

Hey Sport, want to join in the hot new economy?

Joe plans to announce that every adult in the US will be eligible for a coronavirus vaccine by April 19!
    Instead of the administration's original deadline of May 1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another week, another John Oliver rant, repeating what I said a couple of weeks prior...

If I was a narcissist... I’d say he was ripping me off... instead, I am just content for stating the obvious...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Another week, another John Oliver rant, repeating what I said a couple of weeks prior...

If I was a narcissist... I’d say he was ripping me off... instead, I am just content for stating the obvious...
    Maybe his writers frequent these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by felya View Post
    another week, another john oliver rant, repeating what i said a couple of weeks prior...

[/video]

if i was a narcissist... I’d say he was ripping me off... Instead, i am just content for stating the obvious...
    that's not a clooooooooock
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2a5_story.html

The Biden administration next week will launch a funeral assistance program that will give up to $9,000 to cover the burial costs of each American who died of covid-19 — the largest program of its type ever offered by the federal government.

The program is open to families, regardless of their income, as long as they show documentation and have not already gotten similar benefits through another program.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has reimbursed for burial costs before, but it has never offered as large a payment to so many people. In 2017, for example, FEMA paid $2.6 million to 976 people for funeral costs of victims of three hurricanes — an average of $2,664 per applicant.
    Something often forgotten about during disasters: The cost of death. Dying is pretty fuckin expensive, yo.

This is a good program and hopefully will help people pay for proper funeral services, whatever they may be, for loved ones who died to covid without hurting their families financially. Closure matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2a5_story.html

Something often forgotten about during disasters: The cost of death. Dying is pretty fuckin expensive, yo.

This is a good program and hopefully will help people pay for proper funeral services, whatever they may be, for loved ones who died to covid without hurting their families financially. Closure matters.
    Talk about paying for the previous administrations mistakes.

This is great though. I hadn't really considered this as something that needed to be dealt with. And I am really pleased to see this administration doing everything they can to help those in need.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Talk about paying for the previous administrations mistakes.

This is great though. I hadn't really considered this as something that needed to be dealt with. And I am really pleased to see this administration doing everything they can to help those in need.
    Me too! Thinking about it now it's pretty obvious, even outside of pandemic times I remember seeing people out in public trying to raise money for funeral costs for loved ones plus we have extensive gofundme campaigns etc.

Dying is expensive as heck a lot of the time, not just covering costs of medical care and whatnot but like all the costs associated with being dead like cremation or burial etc.

And heck, it's still stimulus. That money is going to companies in the death industry and flowing back into the economy. It does remind me of a few pieces I've read about just how overwhelmed the death industry is. Like, double shifts just to try to keep up with the death toll and a lot of mortuaries etc. still can't even process bodies. I imagine with deaths on the decrease nationally (though with plenty of pockets of spikes) they're getting a bit of a reprieve, but with how interconnected everything in society is there's a lot of things that most of us never really stop to think about as directly connected/related.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Fascinating tidbit!

The Joe Biden presidency has added more jobs than the past three GOP administrations combined!
    Also, the past three GOP presidencies each drove the economy into the ditch.

Just facts, sooreez about GOP feelings....

Hey Sport, want to join in the hot new economy?

Joe plans to announce that every adult in the US will be eligible for a coronavirus vaccine by April 19!
    Instead of the administration's original deadline of May 1.

You really didn't just use the number of job coming back out of the lock down pandemic as big accomplishment right? I mean you do realize that the us lost almost 10 million last year with the lock downs so if it didn't have huge numbers this year to start a bounce back, there would be a problem right? I am hoping to see 11/12 million jobs added this year to cover the losses and show growth. I don't care who the president is. You want to praise Biden for being lucky that he is POTUS for the bounce back? Cool, I don't think any GOP person would care as long as the jobs come back. That's the important part... the jobs coming back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silveth View Post
    You really didn't just use the number of job coming back out of the lock down pandemic as big accomplishment right?
    Trump said the unemployment numbers dropped from 42% to 5% when he took office.

Trump supporters are not allowed to complain about this topic.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really didn't just use the number of job coming back out of the lock down pandemic as big accomplishment right? I mean you do realize that the us lost almost 10 million last year with the lock downs so if it didn't have huge numbers this year to start a bounce back, there would be a problem right? I am hoping to see 11/12 million jobs added this year to cover the losses and show growth. I don't care who the president is. You want to praise Biden for being lucky that he is POTUS for the bounce back? Cool, I don't think any GOP person would care as long as the jobs come back. That's the important part... the jobs coming back.
    I mean, which president was it that bungled the COVID response so thoroughly and completely that the economy when through an incredibly prolonged and protracted grinding shut down that suffered immensely not only from the lack of national leadership, but also suffered due to the abject lies said president was telling in contrast with all medical professionals and known science at every stage of the pandemic that caused these job losses? Lies that said president's party either tacitly accepted by remaining silent on them or by actually endorsing the bad science, such that we still have to deal with the nigh-criminal negligence of a decidedly non-negligible number of their followers refusing to obey even the most simple and sensible medical advice on combating a global lethal pandemic?

Cuz' it wasn't Joe Biden and the democrats.

If a guy rebuilds a house after it gets burned down by another guy, yeah, I'm gonna praise the guy doing the rebuilding. Especially when his detractors are the ones that helped burn the house down in the first place.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    You really didn't just use the number of job coming back out of the lock down pandemic as big accomplishment right?
    I am sorry, the vaccine roll out going from nothing to ‘we will have a relatively normal 4th of July’, is all on Biden. The current recovery from Trump’s insisting on ignoring the virus, spamming his “liberate” nonsense, pushing fake cures, and refusing to transition his government, made what Biden has done, that much more remarkable.

Remember, unlike Trump, who had a normal transition from Obama, including warning about Flynn and justification for the pandemic response team Obama created... there was nothing from Trump to ignore... Biden had to start from nothing...

I mean you do realize that the us lost almost 10 million last year with the lock downs so if it didn't have huge numbers this year to start a bounce back, there would be a problem right?
    Yeah, which is why we are celebrating Biden. Would Trump have forced Pfizer competitor to make vaccines? Would Trump kick AZ out of Baltimore to have Pfizer take over? I don’t think so, since he refused to do that for masks and ventilators, instead spending 100s of millions on chloroquine.

Imagine how much better the recovery would be, if we got masks and ventilators, instead of chloroquine. How much better would the economy be, with less dead and sick?

I am hoping to see 11/12 million jobs added this year to cover the losses and show growth. I don't care who the president is. You want to praise Biden for being lucky that he is POTUS for the bounce back? Cool, I don't think any GOP person would care as long as the jobs come back. That's the important part... the jobs coming back.
    By calling Biden lucky, instead of giving him credit for turning around Trump’s failure, means you care who the president is.

If Trump didn’t fuck this up, we could have recovered before everyone else and then been an import hub as a result.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump said the unemployment numbers dropped from 42% to 5% when he took office.

Trump supporters are not allowed to complain about this topic.
    He is still taking credit for Obama’s economy, despite 3 years later, it being very clear that Trump’s tax cut was a corporate hand out. It was the largest shift of tax revenue from the top to the bottom, in US history.
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-08 at 01:21 PM.

So I'm clear.....

Trump bungled the covid response so badly that 600K americans died and untold businesses got destroyed and all on top of his pointless trade war with China.....but the people responsible for the turn around in the economy that is coming with handling the pandemic competently....don't deserve praise because its really just fixing Trump's criminal fuck up?

Your argument is as stupid as telling a fireman, "All you did was put out a fire someone else started, you don't deserve thanks."
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry no. Your bad faith justifications are embarrassing in their need to erase facts.
    A year ago Trump:
    • Shilling an anti malaria drug a a miracle cure.
    • Jared was hoarding PPE.
    • Jared and DHS also stealing PPE shipments from states.
    • Trump canceling ventilator orders, then comically overpaying for ventilators.
    • Bungling the DPA, by doing nothing.

Checking the score:
    Facts - 3
    Your Feelings - 0

One side affect from a year in quarantine.
    • People have been forced to mainline online media and actually take a closer look at it.
    • After losing a year of their lives to so much needless bullshit. People are less prone to put up with bad faith arguments and lazy contrarian takes.

But you'll always have NewsMax.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    So I'm clear.....

Trump bungled the covid response so badly that 600K americans died and untold businesses got destroyed and all on top of his pointless trade war with China.....but the people responsible for the turn around in the economy that is coming with handling the pandemic competently....don't deserve praise because its really just fixing Trump's criminal fuck up?

Your argument is as stupid as telling a fireman, "All you did was put out a fire someone else started, you don't deserve thanks."
    you left out the fact that he oversaw the largest tax increase on the poor and middle class in decades thanks to his Tariffs.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    you left out the fact that he oversaw the largest tax increase on the poor and middle class in decades thanks to his Tariffs.
    And don't forget the huge cut to U.S. tax revenue with the Rich People Tax Break he passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And don't forget the huge cut to U.S. tax revenue with the Rich People Tax Break he passed.
    Just to remind everyone: the tax cut for the rich did not pay for itself. This analysis was done in Feb 2020 so no blaming COVID.

Revenue dropped. Inflation-adjusted revenue dropped further. The promise that it would pay for itself was known to be a lie when it passed, and it proved to be a lie afterwards.

Everyone who said the tax cut for the rich would pay for itself either lied, or chose to believe something which was objectively false. There is no third option.

Are we still calling Biden a Manchurian Candidate?

US adds seven Chinese supercomputing organizations onto Entity List

In another move aimed at restricting the development of Chinese technology, the US Commerce Department has added seven Chinese supercomputing entities to its Entity List for allegedly supporting China's military efforts.

The newly added entities that are companies include the Shanghai High-Performance Integrated Circuit Design Center, Sunway Microelectronics, Tianjin Phytium Information Technology. The remaining organizations are the National Supercomputing Centers in Jinan, Shenzhen, WuXi, and Zhengzhou.

Companies placed on the Entity List are banned from buying parts and components from US companies without government approval.

According to the department, these entities are involved with building supercomputers used as part of China's military efforts to destabilise military modernisation efforts and build weapons of mass destruction programs.

"Supercomputing capabilities are vital for the development of many -- perhaps almost all -- modern weapons and national security systems, such as nuclear weapons and hypersonic weapons. The Department of Commerce will use the full extent of its authorities to prevent China from leveraging US technologies to support these destabilising military modernisation efforts," US Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo said.

The newest Entity List additions are the latest among many that the US has made against Chinese businesses, including Huawei, which was placed on the Entity List almost two years ago.

In the past year, the US has added Chinese chipmaker SMIC, drone company DJI Technology, and a bevy of other Chinese-based technology companies to the list.

The reasons for doling out these restrictions have ranged from preventing China's alleged efforts of destabilising military activities, to standing up against the repression of Uyghur Muslims and other Muslim ethnic minorities within China, to spying.

In addition to placing various Chinese companies on the Entity List, the US government has also enforced other restrictions onto Chinese technology companies by labelling them as national security threats or Communist Chinese military companies (CCMC).