Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One one hand; Supreme Court upholds ObamaCare in 7-2 ruling

GOP had a too much a shitty argument.

And on the other hand; Supreme Court sides with Catholic adoption agency that turned away same-sex couples

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the city of Philadelphia ran afoul of religious protections when it cut ties with a Catholic adoption agency over its refusal to place foster children with same-sex couples.

Writing for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts said that Philadelphia’s move violated the First Amendment’s Free Exercise clause. There were no dissents, but several justices wrote separate concurring opinions.
    The 7-2 is the third time. Obamacare basically is here till there is a complete replacement.

Based on the second ruling, it's limited to one city that can just change their ordinances. But really, Ugh don't want to get into forbidden territories on religion, just as someone who is one, really need to join the 21st century!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden forgives student debt for 18,000. Focusing on victims of For Profit Schools.

I wonder if slow rolling the debt-forgiveness keeps it under the radar.

Shit Posters with Ivy League degrees, still mad.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...pealed-494997?

HEY, THE HOUSE DID A THING! They rescinded the 2002 AUMF. Now it's over to the Senate, where I imagine Schumer will introduce it and I believe it only needs 50/51 votes to pass.

This is good shit, Congress needs to take back their responsibility and not continue to give more powers and authority to the executive branch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Biden forgives student debt for 18,000. Focusing on victims of For Profit Schools.
    Don't worry, rabid fanbase. That won't be DeVos thing that happens this week. Man, that was tortured.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They rescinded the 2002 AUMF.
    Wow. That's huge. Hopefully this progresses to the part where, if we ever elect an insane incompetent fat Nazi-loving wife-swapping fatass who grew up thinking action movies are real, this will stop him from bombing the shit out of people's families.

Honestly, the US could stand to step back/slow down from just deciding what coordinates on the map harbor terrorists and turning it into a firepit without, I dunno, at least a search warrant. Osama bin Laden's dead, Obama killed him, and the AUMF is a relic of a very different time. At minimum it should be re-examined.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ing-compromise

So McConnell has made it clear that there are no compromises the GOP will support on election reform bills.

I hope Manchin finally gets it through his stupid, thick fucking skull that bipartisanship is dead and that maybe he should vote for a bill that I think something like 70% of folks in his state of West Virginia support.

McConnell says GOP will reject Manchin's voting compromise https://t.co/IMKJPonY2L https://t.co/1axL7kqsk0
    https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1...390906887?s=19

ALL that bipartisanship Joe Manchin!
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post

I wonder if slow rolling the debt-forgiveness keeps it under the radar.

Shit Posters with Ivy League degrees, still mad.
    500mn of a trillion…of a problem. HE PERSONALLY CREATED

10+ Year Old Account

HIstoric moment as Biden signs Law S.475, the Juneteenth National Independence Day Act, which designates Juneteenth as a federal holiday.

Grats to Rep. Shelia Jackson and the CBC.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Wow. That's huge. Hopefully this progresses to the part where, if we ever elect an insane incompetent fat Nazi-loving wife-swapping fatass who grew up thinking action movies are real, this will stop him from bombing the shit out of people's families.

Honestly, the US could stand to step back/slow down from just deciding what coordinates on the map harbor terrorists and turning it into a firepit without, I dunno, at least a search warrant. Osama bin Laden's dead, Obama killed him, and the AUMF is a relic of a very different time. At minimum it should be re-examined.
    It's not actually.

Why? Because Trump and Obama both bombed countries outside of the AUMF authority, be it the 2002 or 2001 one. Oh sure they might have on occasion paid lip service to them but they basically used drones through their entire presidencies without a care because they could, and other things.

Is it illegal? You bet it is. Do the courts care? Nope. Every time the courts have been asked to step in on any one of these issues they've basically said that it's not their job to interfere, something about it being a political question not a judicial one I think. As far as I understand the courts basically take the view that it's between Congress and the President to sort out.

Congress COULD put hard limits on a presidents military powers, in particular by banning certain actions from being funded ( Congress controls all the money ), they haven't. The president can start and fight WW3 as things stand right now.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2021-06-17 at 10:24 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Without a hint of motherfucking Irony, The RNC 'Slams' Biden for his Meeting with Putin. Just quoting the whole article because it's a short one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Week
    The Republican National Committee is going after President Biden for his Wednesday meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Geneva, accusing him of handing Russia a "win."

RNC Communications Director Danielle Alvarez in a statement Wednesday argued that "giving Putin a meeting is just the latest win that Joe Biden has handed Russia," attacking the president for "foreign policy failures" that have "strengthened Russia at the expense of our country."

Other Republicans had previously slammed Biden leading up to the summit for being soft on Russia, though The New York Times wrote that such critics tended to "neglect to mention their backing of" former President Donald Trump, who "spent four years seeking to befriend" Putin while "dismissing Russia's aggressive behavior." During his Helsinki summit with Putin in 2018, Trump famously said he didn't "see any reason why" Russia would have interfered in the 2016 presidential election, defying U.S. intelligence officials.

The Washington Examiner's David M. Drucker, then, tweeted that the RNC was accusing Biden of handing Russia a win without "a hint of irony," while Steve Benen wrote for MSNBC, "It's a bit jarring to see Republicans decide that they're actually the tough-on-Russia party — as if the last four years were little more than a pesky mirage that didn't really count."
    - - - Updated - - -

Just remember; if Conservatives didn't have double standards, they wouldn't have standards at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    One one hand; Supreme Court upholds ObamaCare in 7-2 ruling

GOP had a too much a shitty argument.

And on the other hand; Supreme Court sides with Catholic adoption agency that turned away same-sex couples

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the city of Philadelphia ran afoul of religious protections when it cut ties with a Catholic adoption agency over its refusal to place foster children with same-sex couples.

Writing for the court, Chief Justice John Roberts said that Philadelphia’s move violated the First Amendment’s Free Exercise clause. There were no dissents, but several justices wrote separate concurring opinions.
    For clarity, the first was lacking standing to sue (a shitty argument to why they had standing to sue). 7-2 was on standing.

Catholic adoption agency was 9-0. Court stood united on Philly threatening an overtly religious adoption agency through withholding funding. Better luck next time, Philadelphia!
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    For clarity, the first was lacking standing to sue (a shitty argument to why they had standing to sue). 7-2 was on standing.
    Even if they had standing, their argument itself was pretty shitty. "We changed this law to make its tax $0, but you're not allowed to have a tax of $0, therefore the entire law is now illegal and should be repealed."

They taliban are poised to take back afgan proper now, disappeared a 120 strong delta trained unit the other day, been posting pictures of all the vehicles they now own.

But on a more cheerful note : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...urity-concerns

Last week Luis Elizondo, the former director of the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program, told the Washington Post that UAPs posed a serious threat.

“In this country we’ve had incidents where these UAPs have interfered and actually brought offline our nuclear capabilities,” he said.

“We also have data suggesting that in other countries these things have interfered with their nuclear technology and actually turned them on, put them online.”

One theory is that UAPs could be advanced Chinese or Russian aircraft, but Burchett dismissed that in his TMZ interview.

“I think that’s ridiculous. If the Russians had UFO technology, they would own us right now,” he said. “It has to be something that’s, that’s out of our galaxy, it just has to be, if it is in fact is real.”

Elizondo also dismissed those suggestions.

“We are quite convinced that we’re dealing with a technology that is multigenerational, several generations ahead of what we consider next generation technology, so what we would consider beyond next generation technology,” Elizondo told the Post. “Something that could be anywhere between 50 to 1,000 years ahead of us.”
    I couldnt be bothered to find @cubby 's ufo thread so i'll legitimise it in this thread.

I wonder how biden will greet our new alien overlords, no doubt kamala will tell them 'DONT COME HERE'

This guy Elizondo looks like a crank to me, still looking forward to reading the report, i bet its boring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    They taliban are poised to take back afgan proper now, disappeared a 120 strong delta trained unit the other day, been posting pictures of all the vehicles they now own.

But on a more cheerful note : https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...urity-concerns

I couldnt be bothered to find @cubby 's ufo thread so i'll legitimise it in this thread.

I wonder how biden will greet our new alien overlords, no doubt kamala will tell them 'DONT COME HERE'

This guy Elizondo looks like a crank to me, still looking forward to reading the report, i bet its boring.
    TMZ? Could this guy not get interviews with slightly more... reputable... institutions?

At any rate, if I had to guess what these things were I'd say they were some advanced super-secret USAF technology. They wouldn't want to talk them up as belonging to "the enemy" and they'd definitely want to make them seem as advanced, mysterious, and out of this world as possible.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-06-18 at 01:49 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...pealed-494997?

HEY, THE HOUSE DID A THING! They rescinded the 2002 AUMF. Now it's over to the Senate, where I imagine Schumer will introduce it and I believe it only needs 50/51 votes to pass.

This is good shit, Congress needs to take back their responsibility and not continue to give more powers and authority to the executive branch.
    I'm looking back at the vote on the Iran war powers resolution, this will def get the 50 from Dem's, just wondering who in the republican party will actually be consistent on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I'm looking back at the vote on the Iran war powers resolution, this will def get the 50 from Dem's, just wondering who in the republican party will actually be consistent on this one.
    If anything, they should be pretty fuckin stoked to take away some power from Biden, a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    TMZ? Could this guy not get interviews with slightly more... reputable... institutions?

At any rate, if I had to guess what these things were I'd say they were some advanced super-secret USAF technology. They wouldn't want to talk them up as belonging to "the enemy" and they'd definitely want to make them seem as advanced, mysterious, and out of this world as possible.
    That'd be my reading of it. They aren't going to admit they have this super-advanced stuff publicly. And I can't see the USN just letting it ships be buzzed by potentially hostile forces and not at the least fire warning shots.

Back in the day there was a lot of talk of triangle shaped UFOs - and then a while later along came the F-117 stealth fighter and talk of triangular ufos disappeared.

If anything, they should be pretty fuckin stoked to take away some power from Biden, a Democrat.
    Yeah this passed the house in much larger numbers than the War Powers resolution, due to that I'm sure. But then being hawkish outweighs political spite for many.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    That'd be my reading of it. They aren't going to admit they have this super-advanced stuff publicly. And I can't see the USN just letting it ships be buzzed by potentially hostile forces and not at the least fire warning shots.

Back in the day there was a lot of talk of triangle shaped UFOs - and then a while later along came the F-117 stealth fighter and talk of triangular ufos disappeared.
    a drone that just shadows carrier fleets and hoovers up electronic data seems like an adversary to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    a drone that just shadows carrier fleets and hoovers up electronic data seems like an adversary to me.
    If that were indeed happening and it wasn't being done by the US I think they'd be a lot more cagey about it.

Because to me, them saying "I dunno, it's probably effin' aliens, bro" almost seems like a wink-wink nudge-nudge kind of thing.

Back when Nuclear submarines were being put out of commission by having mysterious circular plugs taken out of their rubber-covered sonar domes naval crewman and dockworkers weren't like "yeah it's probably those damn soviets getting the one-up on us." They just didn't say anything. (Turns out that they were actually tiny sharks that usually feed on whales by biting off chunks of their skin that thought the sub radar domes were the side of a whale.)

Meanwhile, when things like secret US spyplanes get seen or discovered their go-to is usually "yeah man, we don't know, probably like NASA or some space shit or something"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.