The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Biden cant rule for shit, harris will be the next president. Biden have bagage like a ton and the is senile.
    Pretty sure it isn't Biden that is senile lmfao
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    https://twitter.com/NickMiroff/statu...54272181501952

Looks like ICE is going to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown1917 View Post
    https://twitter.com/NickMiroff/statu...54272181501952

Looks like ICE is going to be happy.
    NEW -- Biden will not immediately roll back Trump immigration and border restrictions, Susan Rice and Jake Sullivan tell Spanish news agency EFE, and Title 42, MPP etc will take time to undo, despite campaign promises for "Day One" reversals
    At best, this is VERY VERY VERY bad messaging. The article is behind a Washington Post paywall, but I didn't see anything in the comments about Biden talking about when he would at least start releasing children from cages. And one of the comments stated that there was 1.4 billion being spent on the wall this upcoming year. So even this is apparently not being rolled back.

I'll keep my eyes pealed for any new developments on these issues.

Edit: I found an article in Politico that does a decent job of defending Biden. His messaging really really sucks regardless. I'm also not completely convinced by the article at this point, but for that I'll wait until the week of January 21st to see how it plays out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...olicies-443468

The message of "the republicans will stop us, so we won't even try" completely fails. His administration really needs to go through the process of enacting policies, including executive orders, and then fighting hard to implement them if republicans take them to court.

He presumably has an immigration team, and these people should be able to come up with a plan of action for January 21st, including acknowledgements of what resistance there will be from republicans (and democrats as well). At the very least he most certainly should be able to roll back some of Trump's worst abuses. January 21st is not far away, and the Biden team has found a way to take some of the air out his inauguration.

The motto of the Biden administration should not be "Meet the NEW BOSS" ... "SAME AS THE OLD BOSS" (yeah it's an old old song by The Who).
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-12-22 at 10:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    At best, this is VERY VERY VERY bad messaging. The article is behind a Washington Post paywall, but I didn't see anything in the comments about Biden talking about when he would at least start releasing children from cages. And one of the comments stated that there was 1.4 billion being spent on the wall this upcoming year. So even this is apparently not being rolled back.

Trump gutted the immigration system. It might take time to rehire case workers and other admin positions. The second hand pull quote is terribly out of context.

Don't fall for the bad faith posters. They spent the last year chanting "Burn it All down".

Now the pro-arson posters are complaining that the homeowners haven't rebuilt fast enough for their liking.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    Trump gutted the immigration system. It might take time to rehire case workers and other admin positions. The second hand pull quote is terribly out of context.

Don't fall for the bad faith posters. They spent the last year chanting "Burn it All down".

Now the pro-arson posters are complaining that the homeowners haven't rebuilt fast enough for their liking.
    It would have been nice if the Biden team had talked about what he WAS going to do. Then discussing the obstacles he faced, and how he will be trying to overcome them, would have a much different slant. But in the article that tried to defend him, there was no mention at all of what he WAS planning to do, and there were no timelines on when he hoped to accomplish the tasks that would take longer.

The article defending him had more of a "sorry we can't get anything done, and here is why" rather than a "here is a timeline of what we can accomplish, and what obstacles we can face moving forward".

Biden has to be a lot better at messaging. Otherwise people will not be sure if he wants to rebuild the house, or just comment on how the house is burnt down.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post

Edit: I found an article in Politico that does a decent job of defending Biden. His messaging really really sucks regardless. I'm also not completely convinced by the article at this point, but for that I'll wait until the week of January 21st to see how it plays out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...olicies-443468

The message of "the republicans will stop us, so we won't even try" completely fails. His administration really needs to go through the process of enacting policies, including executive orders, and then fighting hard to implement them if republicans take them to court.

He presumably has an immigration team, and these people should be able to come up with a plan of action for January 21st, including acknowledgements of what resistance there will be from republicans (and democrats as well). At the very least he most certainly should be able to roll back some of Trump's worst abuses. January 21st is not far away, and the Biden team has found a way to take some of the air out his inauguration.

The motto of the Biden administration should not be "Meet the NEW BOSS" ... "SAME AS THE OLD BOSS" (yeah it's an old old song by The Who).
    Most of the quotes the article had was most about managing expectations on day 1, try to prevent people thinking he can snap his fingers and everything will change in an instant

part of the article
    Biden said immigration is one of the urgent matters he will tackle starting next month as the nation emerges from “one of the toughest years we’ve ever faced,” ticking off a list that included the coronavirus, the economy, racial-justice issues and “historic and punishing wildfires and storms.”

Biden had promised to end on “Day 1” a program that requires tens of thousands of asylum seekers, mainly from Central America, to await their U.S. immigration hearings in Mexico. But the president-elect said creating a system to process thousands of asylum seekers will take months, because the government needs funding to put staffers such as “asylum judges” in place.

“The timeline is to do it so that we, in fact, make it better not worse,” Biden said, speaking from his home state of Delaware, delivering remarks ahead of the holiday. “I will do what I said. It’s going to take — not Day 1 — it’s going to take probably the next six months to put that in place.”
    Last edited by Stormspellz; 2020-12-25 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Most of the quotes the article had was most about managing expectations on day 1, try to prevent people thinking he can snap his fingers and everything will change in an instant

part of the article
    Hopefully what happens is more in line with your interpretation and presumably your expectations and less like mine. We'll see in a month. Well more like 2 months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post

part of the article
    To make a particular point; he's not actually walking anything back, there. He can end the "wait in Mexico" policy on Day 1, allowing those asylum seekers to enter the USA (I am assuming, for the sake of argument, that they've already filed asylum documents that are as yet unprocessed; they don't actually have to file for up to a year after entering the USA, however).

That it could take 6 months to process those asylum claims is entirely secondary. They can be living in the USA just fine while that process is ongoing. Being clear that he can't just hand-wave approve all those asylum claims on Day 1 is valid. If Biden's saying he can't end the "wait in Mexico" program literally on Day 1 with a simple signature, though, he's lying, and he's doing so to justify maintaining that program for a little longer. There's nothing about the asylum process that requires the applicant to remain outside the USA until approval; the asylum process allows you to apply up to a year after entering the USA. Let alone the processing time beyond that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Biden calls on Trump to sign Covid bill as government shutdown nears

It is the day after Christmas, and millions of families don’t know if they’ll be able to make ends meet because of Trump’s refusal to sign an economic relief bill approved by Congress with an overwhelming and bipartisan majority.

This abdication of responsibility has devastating consequences.

This bill is critical. It needs to be signed into law now. But it is also a first step and down payment on more action that we’ll need to take early in the new year to revive the economy and contain the pandemic — including meeting the dire need for funding to distribute and administer the vaccine and to increase our testing capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we had a thread in the subject. Here is the organizer of the Medicare for All vote push against AOC. This is him describing Tulsi’s Medicare For All Plus plan, which is actually Biden’s single payer:

As you can see by the video... The version of M4A being pushed by Jimmy, is the same one as Joe Biden’s single payer. The difference is nothing more, as he explains him self, than calling it M4A to risk scaring conservatives or single payer, which he claims conservatives support. It looks like at least this version of M4A, that is hotly debated right now, is indeed the version Biden said he will attempt to implement. Rejoice?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Haven't posted or kept up with this thread (I needed a break after the election), but time to dive back in.

I'm not a huge fan of this:

Amazon hires lobbyist brother of Biden White House counselor

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Haven't posted or kept up with this thread (I needed a break after the election), but time to dive back in.

I'm not a huge fan of this:

Amazon hires lobbyist brother of Biden White House counselor
    Care to elaborate? Is it just lobbying in general or?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The idea is that he could have undue influence due to his brother's position. Really all it means is his brother would have to recuse himself from anything involving Amazon.
    I mean if I'm reading right, he got the lobbying job before Biden even won. And, like you said it's easily fixed by recusing himself.

(misread it was after he was "projected" to win)
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2020-12-27 at 03:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He registered after Biden had already won. That doesn't mean he wasn't offered the job sooner, but Nov 13th was 10 days after the election. I still stand by it being less of a concern than people want it to be.
    7 minutes after my edit but it still didn't show for you lol :P I already admitted I misread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your edit is still incorrect. When you put "projected" in quotes it misrepresents reality. He had already won at that point in time. It won't be fully confirmed until Congress confirms the EC total, but he won as soon as voting ended by having enough votes in enough states to secure 270+ EC votes.
    it's in quotes cause it was my misunderstanding..... I figured projection meant a poll or something before the election occurred.

What did you think I meant?

10+ Year Old Account
    Projected as in the press projecting a winner... You know, since it was after the election and everything.
    The report shows Ricchetti registered to lobby for Amazon Web Services on Nov. 13, just a week after Biden was projected to defeat President Donald Trump.
    Then talk to the author of the article and 100's/1000's of others that use the same terminology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, they're incorrect as well.
    lol. Yup everyone in the history or reporting the election is wrong and Vegas82 is right....
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2020-12-28 at 01:52 PM.

In other news, the Guardian has the pulse of America, even better than the US media.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-hou...080039322.html

Title: As the White House changes hands, so will Fox News’ support of the presidency

Excerpts:

When Joe Biden is sworn in as president on 20 January, cable news viewers may witness one of the most dramatic 180-degree turns in history.

After four years of slavishly promoting the president, Fox News is expected to pump on the brakes within seconds of the inauguration ceremony.

All of a sudden, the person in the White House is not a Republican. More than that, the network can no longer rely on the willingness of the president or his aides to call into Fox News any time of the day or night.

The rightwing TV channel, and its big name hosts Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity, will spend the next four years as the party of the opposition. The network has done this before, of course – the eight years of Barack Obama’s presidency weren’t that long ago – but Biden presents a different challenge.

“Of course we can expect it to be relentlessly negative, but it’s a challenge on some levels, because he’s a 78-year-old white man, fairly moderate history,” said Heather Hendershot, a professor of film and media at MIT who studies conservative and rightwing media.
    To a large extent this explains the dysfunctionality of the US. There is not way to have a decent discussion with this kind of background noise infecting each and every issue.

The rest of the article discusses likely tactics, including the expectation that Kamala Harris will come in for large amounts of smears if democrats win both Georgia runoffs and she breaks a lot of Senate ties. And no doubt AOC's every word will be parsed and inventive ways of misinterpreting this into something anti-American will be broadcast relentlessly.

Only three and a half more weeks of Trump and Pence. And Fox news and other republicans will go full out on making sure that Biden is unsuccessful in making America a bit better and more prosperous. With hard work and perseverance (and a very thick skin) we can make progress anyways. And, like McConnell and the rest of the republican team, we need to keep our eye on 2022.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    lol. Yup everyone in the history or feporting the election is wrong and Vegas82 is right....
    Feporting? Is that what CNN pundit did on a zoom call, to be fired?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Feporting? Is that what CNN pundit did on a zoom call, to be fired?
    I need to spell check more often I see lol :P