https://www.huffpost.com/entry/manch...b07f83766bafbb

Apparently there's a deal with Manchin on the "inflation reduction act" of some sort. No word on specifics yet, but at least something is moving forward. Hopefully they gave WV enough pork to get him to not water down the fuck outta the bill and that it does indeed tax the rich - rolling back the tax cuts Republicans gave them in 2017 - and use that money to reduce the deficit and invest more in healthcare and combating climate change.

Now we just have to hope, again, it's not too watered down and that Sinema decides to not be a drama queen. Again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Science and CHIPS bill passes the senate. Will cheaper PS5s "earn" the votes of bored gamers?

Silver lining that people will not appreciate. Dems twisting a knife into McConnell’s ribs. McConnell Romney said they wouldn’t pass chips if reconciliation was alive.
    • They passed chips.
    • Dems revived reconciliation hours after chips passed.
    • Bernie is pouting with the GOP ... something somethin those darn NEoliBEraLs.

Will this should put to bed the belief that McConnell is some sort of powerful genius.

Couldn't repeal ACA, lost 4 seats in 2 swing states by indulging Trump, got outmaneuvered by Biden on multiple bipartisan bills, and now played by the dumbest Dem ... Manchin.
    Government Affiliated Snark

I saw the news.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *wheeze* AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This shit gets my stamp of approval. McConnell probably in a bathroom stall right now raging so hard shit is furiously spewing from his ass.

Now that Chip funding bill is done

Hopefully the reconciliation bill will get passed before they go on break

Then Biden can drop an extension on Student Loan and $10k forgiveness

All while the fascist red fucks are hurting for cash going into an important midterm.

What is that I see? Someone grab my surf board!

Holy shit. Stunned, but in a good way. $370B for climate and energy and 40% emissions reduction by 2030.

BFD.

A tweet from my Senator, Tina Smith of Minnesota. A Senator who I actually emailed her about Manchin killing the Dems.

I hate Manchin so will never give this asshole credit, sorry. The $359 billion is climate and energy which for me is code for dirty fossil somehow getting money. Yes its negotiation and getting everything rarely happens. But if this doesn't offset climate change with renewable then this bill is bleep.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Holy shit. Stunned, but in a good way. $370B for climate and energy and 40% emissions reduction by 2030.

BFD.

A tweet from my Senator, Tina Smith of Minnesota. A Senator who I actually emailed her about Manchin killing the Dems.

I hate Manchin so will never give this asshole credit, sorry. The $359 billion is climate and energy which for me is code for dirty fossil somehow getting money. Yes its negotiation and getting everything rarely happens. But if this doesn't offset climate change with renewable then this bill is bleep.
    Hey, 40% emissions reduction target by 2030 is good shit. We'll have to see where things shake out, and fuck Manchin all the time, but there does need to be energy spending involved in this as we transition away from fossil fuels. Hopefully it's mostly just a bunch of sakes of cash for places reliant on the fossil fuel industry so they can start investing in new industries locally, like manufacturing renewable energy equipment etc.

The $359 billion is climate and energy which for me is code for dirty fossil somehow getting money. Yes its negotiation and getting everything rarely happens.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's true...but it's also inevitable. I don't think we're getting out from under the thumb of the fossil fuel industry any time soon, despite progress that can be made towards that end.

As an aside, I absolutely despise the attitude of people like the first comment on that tweet:
    "So when do China and Russia begin decreasing emissions? Or is it just the US who has to continually hurt our way of life? China announced this year they are opening more coal factories!"
    This "we should be as bad as X country" implication comes up literally any time regressive shits run out of any other reason to oppose making positive change in our own country. They don't seem to realize how much they're telling on themselves when they make that dumbass argument.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    This "we should be as bad as X country" implication comes up literally any time regressive shits run out of any other reason to oppose making positive change in our own country. They don't seem to realize how much they're telling on themselves when they make that dumbass argument.
    "But my shitty standard of living being maintained is SUPER IMPORTANT so that I can make sure that I leave the world a worse, shittier place for my children."

This is peak Republican energy, if you're not "winning", you're "losing", because everything is a zero-sum competition.

10+ Year Old Account
    The $359 billion is climate and energy which for me is code for dirty fossil somehow getting money. Yes its negotiation and getting everything rarely happens. But if this doesn't offset climate change with renewable then this bill is bleep.
    There's a pretty simple rule of thumb I use. Are you an energy company, or are you an oil and gas company.

The former are all-in on solar and wind and other renewables, and are working hard to shift off oil and gas ASAP, while maintaining extraction to cover the interim. They saw the winds changing decades ago and have been shifting ever since. The latter are hard-in on oil and gas extraction and refining, and opposing renewables rather than getting in on the ground floor when it would've been fuckin' easy. Those fuckers can be sealed away in an abandoned salt mine for a thousand years for all I care.

If I had my druthers, I'd make 'em worker-run to boot, but baby steps. Energy companies that are actually working hard to get renewables off the ground should get some support, at least to get this stuff entrenched enough we can start turning off the oil and natural gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The former are all-in on solar and wind and other renewables, and are working hard to shift off oil and gas ASAP, while maintaining extraction to cover the interim. They saw the winds changing decades ago and have been shifting ever since. The latter are hard-in on oil and gas extraction and refining, and opposing renewables rather than getting in on the ground floor when it would've been fuckin' easy.
    I've never understood why the latter didn't do precisely what the former did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I've never understood why the latter didn't do precisely what the former did.
    Depressingly, power, and control. Why sell someone a wind turbine or hydroelectric plant which gets "fueled" by natural forces, when you can sell them a natural gas-burning generator and hook them to your pipelines for constant fuel payments over and above the cost of the plant itself.

Same reason pharmacorps are far more interested in hooking patients to a massively expensive symptom-management drug than a short-run cure for their condition. You make more money off letting people die slowly from cancer than you do from curing cancer.

So...seems like Schumer "cucked" McConnell?

McConnell threatens to kill the CHIPS bill if Democrats use reconciliation to pass a climate/energy bill.

Senate passes CHIPS bill.

Democrats announce a deal on the climate/energy bill using reconciliation.

Is this 32D chess?

So let's talk about Kristen Sinema. Already mentioned yesterday but more today was Manchin taxation on carried interest. Basically rich people and corporations get more money.

Sinema opposes the carried interest. This means Sinema could sink the bill on her own or maybe this was Manchin's plan. Yes, this is next level but I just never trust Manchin or Sinema either.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

So let's talk about Kristen Sinema. Already mentioned yesterday but more today was Manchin taxation on carried interest. Basically rich people and corporations get more money.

Sinema opposes the carried interest. This means Sinema could sink the bill on her own or maybe this was Manchin's plan. Yes, this is next level but I just never trust Manchin or Sinema either.
    Sinema was always a potential problem, and I don't think Manchin was banking on her. He's not a grand strategist. Manchin just gets the primary focus since Sinema seems to try to keep a slightly lower public profile as it helps with her ongoing fundraising efforts.

Whatever they bribed Manchin with, bribe Sinema too.

10+ Year Old Account
    <Jon Stewart baby voice> So it's a good thing "we" didnt kick Manchin out of the party?

So who paid manchin off for this cause no way he did the right thing without a literal bribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    So who paid manchin off for this cause no way he did the right thing without a literal bribe.
    Personally, don't give a fuck how much pork they had to shovel in his pen to get him on board. Shovel as much as needed until his vote is no longer relevant, then go back to ignoring him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Personally, don't give a fuck how much pork they had to shovel in his pen to get him on board. Shovel as much as needed until his vote is no longer relevant, then go back to ignoring him.
    Don't get me wrong I'm happy it happened just rather know so we can speed the process up next time
    I mean maybe he just got visited by the ghosts of global warming past present and future ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    That, or someone threatened to bury his coal businesses in red tape if he didn't pass the climate change bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That, or someone threatened to bury his coal businesses in red tape if he didn't pass the climate change bill.
    • Whatever worked, Schumer did it quietly and directly. Hence so many people were caught off-guard.
    • Whereas, the previous year of threats and mean tweets only caused Manchin to dig in his heels.

Hate for people to miss an object lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    • Whatever worked, Schumer did it quietly and directly. Hence so many people were caught off-guard.
    • Whereas, the previous year of threats and mean tweets only caused Manchin to dig in his heels.

Hate for people to miss an object lesson.
    Yup the best way to get things done isn't protest or vocalizing your issues with a politician it's back room corruption. Wooooo gooooo America!

Sad that it's actual all true.