Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There are times that Biden emerges in a way that makes it clear and obvious why he wound up being the consensus choice for Democrats and why he was able to pick up quite a bit of moderate support. This is one of those - he's still got the fairly old school mentality on these things and is capable of delivering a speech that offers moral clarity. He'll alienate some of the more extreme anti-colonialist types, but no one really gives a shit about those people anyway.
    Yes. "Capable of delivering a speech that offers moral clarity" even if he'd "alienate some of the more extreme anti-colonialist types." Precisely said. His primary challengers in 2020 were far likelier to yield to equivocation and evasive "contextualization."
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shocking the forum neo cons don't have an issue with the language.

ooph, page 2. That's kinda good though, nothing spicy really goin on outside of James Comer dropping the bombshell that Joe Biden's brother paid back a large loan in 2018. You know, while Donald was president.

Anyways

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...tement-israel/

President Biden, along with fellow leaders from Western-allied countries, reaffirmed their support for Israel and its right to defend itself Sunday while urging the nation to adhere to international humanitarian law.

“Today, President Joseph R. Biden, Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada, President Emmanuel Macron of France, Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany, Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni of Italy, and Prime Minister Rishi Sunak of the United Kingdom spoke regarding the ongoing conflict between Israel and the terrorist organization Hamas,” the leaders said in a joint statement Sunday.

While the group of leaders reiterated its support for Israel and its right to defend itself against terrorism, they also called for “adherence to international humanitarian law, including the protection of civilians.”

The leaders also called for the “immediate release of all remaining hostages,” noting that they are “committed to close coordination to support their nationals in the region, in particular those wishing to leave Gaza.”
    While Dark Brandon didn't predict this one and spend a bunch of time warning about it ahead of time, I do appreciate that he's adhering to his obligations with Israel as an ally without wavering while still trying to thread the needle of being concerned with humanitarian issues and pressure from the leftward flank on that - even if overall support still remains with Israel as a whole.

Anyways, Republicans like to point to international incidents and things and blame Democrats while they're in office and all and that's silly, POTUS is of significant importance and all but the world does not revolve around who sits in that reportedly weird and uncomfortable (to begin with) Oval Office. I'm just glad that we have adults in the room keeping a level head not much in the way of grandstanding or bloviating or nuthin. Just working to get the job done.

It's nice.

US GDP grew by 4.9% in 3rd quarter 2023.

Unemployment is low.

New job creation is robust.

Labors are winning concessions from businesses.

Businesses don't seem to be all that upset about it. Profits are up.

Within my small microcosm, my company has so many jobs that there simply aren't enough geologists/engineers to cover all the jobs. I had to go back to San Diego this week to help with drilling and logging some of the smaller/simpler jobs.

Biden appears to be doing a decent job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post

Unemployment is low.

Within my small microcosm, my company has so many jobs that there simply aren't enough geologists/engineers to cover all the jobs. I had to go back to San Diego this week to help with drilling and logging some of the smaller/simpler jobs.

And this is the stuff that democrats need to be more effectively communicating.

While you have a GOP-lead house in shambles attacking itself as they barely struggle to function, Biden is more or less keeping things trucking free of controversy, outrage, or internal dysfunction. I don't know how you disseminate that information, but it's something they really need to get out there.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Unemployment is low.

There really is a lot of shit going on in the world. And there are still a ton of problems at home. Inflation and the cost increases in general are still hitting folks hard, it's hardly perfect.

But despite some House fuckery this past year, the past few years of relative stability have really quietly done some work. Yes, people are still hurting and struggling and it's not equally felt and there's a long way to go. But we're on the right track, and I just hope that this current crop of House Republicans doesn't totally derail things and that voters don't decide they miss the chaos and decide to bring Republicans back in the Senate or White House.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...ael-hamas-war/

More than 300 of Hollywood’s most famous names — including Madonna, Chris Rock, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jerry Seinfeld, Bradley Cooper and Tyler Perry — are praising President Biden’s efforts in the Israel-Hamas war as they urge him to “not rest until all hostages are released.”

In an open letter to Biden posted Monday, the group of performers, producers and entertainment industry honchos thanked the 46th president for his “unshakable moral conviction, leadership, and support for the Jewish people, who have been terrorized by Hamas since the group’s founding over 35 years ago, and for the Palestinians, who have also been terrorized, oppressed, and victimized by Hamas for the last 17 years that the group has been governing Gaza.”
    Why the fuck are you posting this stupid fucking letter? Who the fuck cares what Jah Rule thinks of Biden's handling of this matter?

This is stupid and pointless and I hate everything about this. It's minor, but who the fuck cares what Jerry Seinfield or Gwyneth Paltrow have to say about this shit? Jerry's off making more bad jokes on stage to old audiences and Gwyneth is probably having her latest crop of interns smell her chocolate starfish to ensure they can get the smell of an upcoming line of candles just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There really is a lot of shit going on in the world. And there are still a ton of problems at home. Inflation and the cost increases in general are still hitting folks hard, it's hardly perfect.

But despite some House fuckery this past year, the past few years of relative stability have really quietly done some work. Yes, people are still hurting and struggling and it's not equally felt and there's a long way to go. But we're on the right track, and I just hope that this current crop of House Republicans doesn't totally derail things and that voters don't decide they miss the chaos and decide to bring Republicans back in the Senate or White House.

- - - Updated - - -
    Fortune Magazine did an article on the GDP. The biggest contributor was consumer spending. Beyonce, Tailor Swift and Black Pink tours boosted US economy by approximately 4.5B, 4.6B and 3.9B when we account for plane tickets, hotels, foods and merchandising.

Fortune Magazine did an article on the GDP. The biggest contributor was consumer spending. Beyonce, Tailor Swift and Black Pink tours boosted US economy by approximately 4.5B, 4.6B and 3.9B when we account for plane tickets, hotels, foods and merchandising.
    It always fuckin is. We're a consumer driven economy, and I haven't heard any alterations to the last numbers which were that 70% of that economy is consumer driven. It's always going to be consumers boosting the economy, always.

Taylor Swift is out here saving shows, saving theaters, saving the economy, apparently saving the Democratic part and democracy and I'm wondering if there's anything that gal can't do.

Taylor Swift is out here saving shows, saving theaters, saving the economy, apparently saving the Democratic part and democracy and I'm wondering if there's anything that gal can't do.
    Find a stable relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Find a stable relationship.
    Stable relationships don't make for good albums.

It's been reallt quiet in here.
    Hasn't Joe Biden done something heinous like massive tax fraud, voter fraud, conspire to make an insurrection, being old, or order a burger with dijon mustard while wearing a tan suit?

He's not doing himself any favors with this Israel shit. But Republicans can't say much about it because they're all about murdering Muslims and fellating the Israeli government.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    He's not doing himself any favors with this Israel shit. But Republicans can't say much about it because they're all about murdering Muslims and fellating the Israeli government.
    Even without that Joe Biden has always been a high risk candidate due to his age and lack of enthusiasm which has only gotten worse. For the rhetoric about how this is an fight for democracy the party is taking a lot of risk by putting him on the ballot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump and the Republicans are even worse though, talking about putting US troops in Gaza to help the IDF, bombing Iran, and limiting speech criticizing Israel.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/dem...ot-2023-11-07/

Andrea Singmaster is thankful for President Joe Biden. He helped secure funding to clean up a contaminated site in her Philadelphia suburb and his efforts to crack down on Medicare drug prices will help family members financially manage arthritis and Crohn's disease.

But she is not so thankful that Biden, who turns 81 this month, is running again.

A lifelong Democrat who voted for Biden in 2020, Singmaster is hoping that someone else emerges to change the 2024 election, including Democratic longshot Dean Phillips or a Republican that can beat Donald Trump in the Republican primary race.

"I love Joe Biden. He's great, you know, but he's an old dude and I am really frustrated with our lack of choices and wish I could just run away," the 50-year-old Singmaster said.

The contrast between the popularity of the Biden agenda and the unpopularity of its pitchman, even among some party loyalists, is a major concern for Democrats going into 2024.

Biden's legislative victories include items popular with a large swath of American voters, such as allowing the federal government to negotiate Medicare drug prices, capping insulin costs, boosting infrastructure investment and tackling climate change.
    This is so fuckin weird to me.

Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Trump and the Republicans are even worse though, talking about putting US troops in Gaza to help the IDF, bombing Iran, and limiting speech criticizing Israel.
    Yes, but if Dem voters stay home because their party is showing its ass over this Israel garbage, it doesn't really matter how much worse the GOP would be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but if Dem voters stay home because their party is showing its ass over this Israel garbage, it doesn't really matter how much worse the GOP would be.
    More people need to realize that American elections are 1000% not about which party people will vote for. That's entirely predetermined, both by prejudice/bias and by the massive divide between the parties on some social issues.

What actually decides elections is voter turnout for those parties. If Democrats are all "eh, fuck it", you get 2016. When they're all "For the love of bacon we need to fuckin' win this", you get 2020. Same goes the other way; Trump's turnout was incredibly high in 2020 too, because Republicans made the same push; they're just losing demographically.

Getting your own base to go "eh, fuck it" is how you lose elections. Not whether you have cross-party appeal. That's essentially a myth.

Don't get me wrong I get it - Biden is an old guy and a lot of us are justifiably tired of people who should be retiring in Palm Beach (well, maybe elsewhere) running the country.

But at the same time it's wild how much folks don't like Joe despite really liking a lot of the policies he's pushed and the legislation that Democrats passed.
    Old guys have a tough time getting behind a podium and taking credit for their policies and explaining all the ways they've helped people. Andrea's probably heard one of them, and come away more impacted by his rambling, mumbling, and chewing of his words. Look back in your personal life to times where the message content was hindered or overshadowed by the person speaking it.

I'd argue that Biden's running on Team Biden the brand.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

10+ Year Old Account

Correct me if I’m wrong but nobody was too “jazzed” about Biden going into the 2020 election. But they sure were jazzed about trump not being president.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    More people need to realize that American elections are 1000% not about which party people will vote for. That's entirely predetermined, both by prejudice/bias and by the massive divide between the parties on some social issues.

What actually decides elections is voter turnout for those parties. If Democrats are all "eh, fuck it", you get 2016. When they're all "For the love of bacon we need to fuckin' win this", you get 2020. Same goes the other way; Trump's turnout was incredibly high in 2020 too, because Republicans made the same push; they're just losing demographically.

Getting your own base to go "eh, fuck it" is how you lose elections. Not whether you have cross-party appeal. That's essentially a myth.
    The good news is that the GOP are utterly obsessed with making abortion illegal to the point where a zygote has more rights than a girl or a woman. Their base's obsession with obliterating abortion rights has saved the Democrat's collective asses for multiple election cycles, and will likely do it again in 2024, since Trump is on video bragging about how he ended Roe V Wade, and how he supports a federal abortion ban.