Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    From a post on the official forums:

No. Quit telling us how we can play. Look, I quest up. But if someone wants to spam dungeons, that should be their choice. Modern Blizzard keeps trying to control how players play and it's not only unneeded, it's insulting and off-putting.
    It's Blizzard's game, they can do what they want with it. Your choice is to either give them your money or not give them your money.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

7+ Year Old Account

Smile

huth
    it doesn't emphasise anything either
    In fact, it does, in such way it's no longer talking about local "bells and whistles" (which devs can sometimes call "new technologies" in order to amuse their sense of dignity), but already about approach to design in general, in relation to traditional MMORPG paradigm, to sandbox principles (this is literally was written in link and in post with a few words further). It's not for nothing that WoW has been jokingly called solo-MMORPG for some time now, and phasing (a similar approach to storytelling/imposing story) is one of elements that complement "comic" ensemble. The fact that you, as I understand it, like this, doesn't generally play big role in this case, it just not working safely that way (this is simplification, not devs' trick/dodgy... in other words, just freebie design solution; but this, as I said, is only 1 of elements/factors, so I emphasize that we should talk about design globally - just absence of this element won't be able to solve all problems, measures need to be taken comprehensively, but it's much easier this way, isn't it? ).

Choosing MMORPG, I probably choose to interact with living mutual world together with other people and not just with set of menus/moving personal textures imitating my (actually absent one) participation, don't I? Otherwise, I'd choose a single player.

I could have discussed it a little longer in principle, but somehow this takes us somewhat away from main topic. Initially, I mentioned it only for completeness, but apparently "successfully" hit a specific target
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-12-08 at 06:30 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I'd argue "telling you how to play" is basically a game developers job. And that's not limited to video games.
    Ya this nonsense must have come from some where as people have been parroting it since the beta started like it had some sort of merit which it really doesn’t.

This should have happened man moons ago when the Dungeon queuing was first implemented and leveling via dungeons as opposed to questing became a thing.

Doing it now is simply asinine and just makes people mad, especially when the campaign quests aren't that interesting in the first place and people want to skip it.

this means when you can q for it specifically

Not sure about your point - in prior expansions, I could queue for the entry level dungeons right off. I did, several times, because friends would want to check out the expansion but the starting zones would be crowded so we'd do a dungeon or two.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the point. The point, which you utterly missed, is that they keep trying to tell you how to play. "No, you can't do this dungeon because you didn't do the zone quest yet". Why do that? They're controlling HOW you 'play the fucking game'.

- - - Updated - - -

See, retail only has yes men. You love everything Blizz does. It's kind of sad.
    Retail apparently has you... Are you a yes man? You are kind of sad, I will give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Ya this nonsense must have come from some where as people have been parroting it since the beta started like it had some sort of merit which it really doesn’t.
    Because Blizzard has been regurgitating all this play the content you want nonsense with Chromie Time, and how hard they pushed the narrative you could earn that currency from the visions content patch, and how with this expansion they were spouting how you would get to gear up how you wanted. They do this funny thing of trying to claim they'll let you play the game the way you want, then they don't ever deliver on it. And it always boils down to a vocal minority always being catered to.

OT: I didn't mind having to unlock the dungeons, especially since you just have to do it once. Just put your nose to the grind stone, only do the quests with the shields and fancy parchment. Everything else is entirely avoidable, especially if you're queueing for dungeons as you do the story quests. And it unlocks a lot more freedom on all of your alts, not just dungeons, you basically can go do any quest in any zone and have it count towards "story" progression (pretty much a WQ but for each zone that's a bar to fill by questing and even doing the zones dungeons.)
    I'm a thread killer.

Truly the darkest timeline when people think a valid criticism is, why can't I spam dungeons before I unlock them, in an rpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with OP on this one. This change only removes options for the player to experience the game. If some players want to just run dungeons to level up, then they should be free to do so. Micro-managing every single aspect of WoW is the reason the game got changes like not being able to paraglide in old raids and the removal of portals (which ruined the pacing of the game, especially in Legion content for certain questlines). Completely unnecessary changes that only limit how some players like to play the game.

I always like to quest more than spam dungeons while levelling, but it still doesn't change that you have always been able to do both methods before since the game's inception. This is just trying to fix what isn't broken.

People who complain about stupid shit like this is the problem with modern WoW.

Wait Blizzard can't tell us how to play now?

Ok I wanna play wow as a turn based RPG...Why are none of the mobs letting me have turn!

Ok I wanna play it like Devil May Cry...why can't I do any juggle combos

Ok then Its bejeweled! Oh wait I can do that.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I always like to quest more than spam dungeons while levelling, but it still doesn't change that you have always been able to do both methods before since the game's inception.
    Counterpoint: Claiming "since inception" is incredibly misleading.

In Vanilla, resetting instances had to be done by an undocumented script command, which the vast majority of players, even fairly elite ones, did not know about (as soon as it did become known, Blizzard put in the 5/hour limit, which they later raised). Further, because you had to actually get to the dungeons, even once this was known about (in late Vanilla and in TBC), it wasn't very favoured because you had to keep doing the same dungeon, or keep traveling to new dungeons, which was a slog.

On top of all that, unless you had a really peculiar and specialized setup (which is true on Classic for some people but was almost unheard-of in Vanilla), it was pretty shit XP compared to just questing, because going through it took a while, you'd inevitably need to go back to town for repairs and to sell quite often, and so on. This was an age when bags were smaller, mounts were not epic, and flying wasn't a thing.

Even in TBC and WotLK the XP from dungeons remained pretty bad - and you had similar issues to Vanilla, albeit less severe. It wasn't until LFD in later WotLK that you could really "spam dungeons" at all, and it still wasn't a great approach for leveling. It finally became an efficient way to level some time after that, I forget which expansion it was, could have been as late as Legion, but I think it might have been earlier.

So yeah, this idea that you could "since inception" "spam dungeons" is horseshit, frankly. At best it was "since WotLK".
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Unlocking via questing is just fine as it is , it serves as an incentive even. Stop trying to tell blizzard how they should tell their players how to play their game.
    Too much freedom and it all feels unnecessary. BTW you NEED to do the quests anyway so... why is this even a discussion

I can think 28 things wrong with modern WoW off the top of my head ... this would not be on there.

What a pointless whining thread...

You only need to do this on ONE character, I don't see what's the issue.

No. Quit telling us how we can play. Look, I quest up. But if someone wants to spam dungeons, that should be their choice. Modern Blizzard keeps trying to control how players play and it's not only unneeded, it's insulting and off-putting.
    You will be able to dungeon spam on an alt. Jesus christ. You can't even just quest through the story once? There's finally new questing content and you just want to skip it all? Go back to Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Utter nonsense. They DO know better how to play, and NO you can't have free BiS gear for free.

Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    Very cowardly to spring that on people only a few hours before launch.
    Except it was clearly written in their dungeon blogpost several days prior to the launch, should they have considered that people don't read shit on the official wow page? Probably but that doesn't mean the information wasn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

It saved the people wanting to level through dungeon spam, the hassle of having to complete all the zones after dinging, since completing the story for each zone is prequisite for joining a covenant on your first character.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    They have. Same post says: "On subsequent characters, all dungeons can be made immediately available to you via the Threads of Fate system."
    I have only just started playing this expansion, so I had not noticed that.

Thank you for the clarification.