Replace GPU or go for a new system?

I made a forum thread earlier about potential troubleshooting for my GPU,
    but it's most likely dead and I'm not willing to take it apart and have it repaired on an elektronics level (if even possible at all)

This build is 4+ years old (august 2016) and was considered medium-range back then if i recall correctly.
    No hardware piece has been changed/updated in these 4 years cause i mainly play WoW as "most demanding" on performance anyway and it was never needed.

My gut says to abandon this system (as a gaming pc, since only the GPU blew it still works fine for daily use for the average person if you just plug the monitor in the motherboard) and go for something brand new.
    I would go for something that is considered medium range again to keep the price down and I'm not playing any performance demanding games, WoW probably being the highest.

Before i make a thread with the template for new builds with info/pricing, does anyone think there's no need as long as i replace the GPU?
    Or do i risk other components dying off as well since everything is 4 years old at this point?

I'm still unsure what caused my GPU's failure (was it the card itself, was it the PSU's fault, ...), is it important to pinpoint this to make sure the PSU still works as intended for example?

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends. Were you satisfied with the performance you were getting before your GPU died? If you were, there's no real reason to upgrade anything else.

I'd say just get a new GPU. Your other parts are plenty fine for WoW and you won't notice any significant performance upgrade from a new mobo+cpu+ram. Likely your GPU was the bottleneck in your previous system.

You also have the Z170-chipset and a K cpu so if you want to squeze out another 5-15% performance you could get one of those 240/280 closed loot water coolers and overclock it a bit. That should give you another year or two of satisfying performance.

I'd recoomend a Gtx 3060 Ti if you get your hands on it, but it depends on your budget and if you plan to have it another 4 years or so. If you have the cash the gtx 3070 is also a really good card, albeit a bit pricyer. Both perform exceptionally well and supports both FreeSync and G-sync if you have a monitor like that. From the recent reviews I believe these give more fps/$$$ than AMDs counterpart and significantly better drivers (Means less issues) but that is just my opinion. Both manufacturers supply great cards this year. What resolution do you play at?

Quote Originally Posted by Goge View Post
    I made a forum thread earlier about potential troubleshooting for my GPU,
    but it's most likely dead and I'm not willing to take it apart and have it repaired on an elektronics level (if even possible at all)

This build is 4+ years old (august 2016) and was considered medium-range back then if i recall correctly.
    No hardware piece has been changed/updated in these 4 years cause i mainly play WoW as "most demanding" on performance anyway and it was never needed.

My gut says to abandon this system (as a gaming pc, since only the GPU blew it still works fine for daily use for the average person if you just plug the monitor in the motherboard) and go for something brand new.
    I would go for something that is considered medium range again to keep the price down and I'm not playing any performance demanding games, WoW probably being the highest.

Before i make a thread with the template for new builds with info/pricing, does anyone think there's no need as long as i replace the GPU?
    Or do i risk other components dying off as well since everything is 4 years old at this point?

I'm still unsure what caused my GPU's failure (was it the card itself, was it the PSU's fault, ...), is it important to pinpoint this to make sure the PSU still works as intended for example?
    No need to replace anything if you're happy with the performance. Just get your GPU repaired and if you cannot get a new one. No reason to get anything more than a 1660Ti for WoW. If you want ray-tracing stuff you will have to get a 3060Ti, which is going to be considerably more expensive.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I'm used to playing at 1080p, also not using stuff like ray tracing so i don't need a top-of-the-line gpu.

I've also never taken the system completely apart to reapply thermal paste to the CPU, just done the usual dust cleaning.
    Last edited by Goge; 2020-12-18 at 06:35 PM.