Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    It all depends on the class and even the spec in some cases. While I am not a new player I have had no problems clearing both wings to the current max. I haven't done anything differently then what a new player would do. I've died once or twice I believe where I did end up pulling to many. And I came close to dying on one boss where my pet died twice. That might be a case where a new player could fail.

It is more about being able to sense what powers might be good to pick. And luck. So a new player might not that aspect. It is just general skill at the game. Last run I was able to get 6 demonic tyrants up at once and had +75% with pets. So I would think even a brand new Warlock could have melted most things with powers like that.

The maw currency also can buy some upgrades that could help but the really helpful ones are later on in rep. But if you have less then 10 powers you are doing it wrong and setting yourself up for failure. I usually get 16+ and if I get the perk that gives me currency when casting dreadstalkers early enough I can easily buy up both vendors.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-11-30 at 07:07 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Reminder that not everyone is supposed to be able to do Layer 3. They give the most reward on the bottom for a reason.

I suspect a good many players will not be able to clear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Just the other day...i, Shadowpunk (best player EU kappa), almost had a heart attack on last boss of the 3rd section...as Havoc Demon Hunter!!!!!
    I only got physical avoidance on my abilities........and the boss ended up being a mage with insane cast damage.
    I had literally the same experience on a mage. It basically came down to bad anima power RNG. Run before that the powers I had would have literally 1shot the end boss, next run I was using all my abilities + potions and couldn't survive. Run after that, I had anima powers that effectively doubled my HP and gave me bigger CD's.

Veng DH has treated me well in Torghast. I'm actually surprised a lot of people are having such a tough time with it. Maybe DH is just really well suited for the content.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kill the last boss in layer 3 in 10-15 seconds.. It's so easy I dont even. As a Feral druid. Going from 150 ish ilvl to 183 now makes it just even more of a meme.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is more about being able to sense what powers might be good to pick. And luck. So a new player might not that aspect. It is just general skill at the game. Last run I was able to get 6 demonic tyrants up at once and had +75% with pets. So I would think even a brand new Warlock could have melted most things with powers like that.
    This too. I noticed pretty quick that there were powers that could help clear floors but would be useless on the layer boss. So you had to be forward thinking about your priorities. Mage in particular has a number of anima powers for Sheep that can help clear floor trash. Of course, you can't sheep a boss so those end up useless in the final tally.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    I had literally the same experience on a mage. It basically came down to bad anima power RNG. Run before that the powers I had would have literally 1shot the end boss, next run I was using all my abilities + potions and couldn't survive. Run after that, I had anima powers that effectively doubled my HP and gave me bigger CD's.
    It's def the class/spec combo. As tanks focused on their own self healing Veng and Blood will trivialize anything without a DPS timer, so long as they can survive a few hits.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
    The difficulty of Torghast varies wildly with spec, which boss you get, and which anima powers you see along the way. Your experience may be vastly different from other players experiences, regardless of the skill or gear level involved.
    Yeah this. Like with a lot of Roguelikes, getting lucky or unlucky with the random elements can make a huge difference to how hard things are. This is good and bad, but it's how Roguelikes largely are - Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, and Monster Train all have this issue. Sure there are ways to mitigate it, and indeed they're pretty decent in Torghast (better than many real Roguelikes, including Monster Train!), but it's something that's there.

Quote Originally Posted by chorx View Post
    Veng DH has treated me well in Torghast. I'm actually surprised a lot of people are having such a tough time with it. Maybe DH is just really well suited for the content.
    It is. Massive self-healing, naturally tough, tons of mobility for avoiding traps and patrols, deals well with a lot of targets, and some nice sigils for tricky situations, it's pretty ideal.
    Last edited by Eurhetemec; 2020-11-30 at 07:22 PM.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I think tank specs are just well suited for the content (at this point at least). Did all wings easily on my prot pally, but as a fury warrior things started getting a bit more hairy. The trash and mini bosses are easy enough, and I'm sure I cleared the wings more quickly as a DPS spec, but the final bosses were definitely not as faceroll as they were in tank spec.

Tank specs in general have a much easier time in torg. At least the ones I’ve run through on (pally, dh, dk, bear, and warr).

I first did all of Torghast currently available with gear that I couldn't que even to heroic dungeons with.

Most of this was done on havoc, but I always felt I lacked healing and some things were slightly problematic, but nothing big.

Then I decided to take vengeance instead. Ez.

The soul ash rewards greatly reduce as you go up in level. So - if someone can only do level one it just means they will need to take a few more weeks to craft a legendary... Given the mat requirements and gold cost at this point, is that even the worst thing, to have to wait a bit to finish?

I say this as a filthy casual who was able to clear level 3 of both wings this week (Shadow Priest seems crazy strong to me).

Blizz will have a tough time balancing this across all specs because then they'll end up breaking other parts of the game. So typical response will be to just nerf the overperforming ones.... But this is like most of the things they added to shadowlands, too tough to balance because too many interacting systems (in this case also adding anima powers on top of Class/Spec/Talent Choice/Covenant/Soulbind/Conduit)

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Servos View Post
    The soul ash rewards greatly reduce as you go up in level. So - if someone can only do level one it just means they will need to take a few more weeks to craft a legendary... Given the mat requirements and gold cost at this point, is that even the worst thing, to have to wait a bit to finish?

I say this as a filthy casual who was able to clear level 3 of both wings this week (Shadow Priest seems crazy strong to me).

Blizz will have a tough time balancing this across all specs because then they'll end up breaking other parts of the game. So typical response will be to just nerf the overperforming ones.... But this is like most of the things they added to shadowlands, too tough to balance because too many interacting systems (in this case also adding anima powers on top of Class/Spec/Talent Choice/Covenant/Soulbind/Conduit)
    I don't think it's really that dependent on class balance. The anima powers are wacky OP, and completely dwarf class differences, by and large. Especially if you pick them intelligently, and don't just click on "BIG NUMBERS" every time.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I've cleared all floor twice as a resto shaman. Torghast is super easy... don't pull like a mongaloid, and you win. The most dangerous thing is the traps and all of them are easy as hell to dodge.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1533 View Post
    I've cleared all floor twice as a resto shaman. Torghast is super easy... don't pull like a mongaloid, and you win. The most dangerous thing is the traps and all of them are easy as hell to dodge.
    Yo that axe does do me dirty sometimes with firetraps nearby. Agreed though, shits easy. Dodge abilities, INTERRUPT, use CC etc. People out here only using damaging abilities.

I boosted a rogue through and noticed he was having trouble with it and he wasn't dodging anything and getting blasted. Can't wait for the Raid complaints of people saying that's hard too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

The title of this topic is just ridiculous. Plenty of absolute newbie players finished Torghast solo this past week and plenty of veterans had issues/deaths. That's how it's designed. They don't have to be veterans of WoW to understand roguelike gameplay.

It's more fun with friends. It's fun seeing what ridiculous ass powers other classes get. Also, explore everywhere so you can get the most powers. If you try to just rush down the boss, you aren't strong enough in there with your current gear and you need the powers.

Hyperbolic bullshit is hyperbolic. Don't worry if other people can clear Torghast, worry about if you can clear it. It's not going to be nerfed or balanced because it's a play space designed to potentially be unbalanced if you take or obtain certain powers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Torghast is a bit of an rng fest in what mobs you get and what powers. The place can be a breeze or very difficult. I was doing layer 3 of one zone and it was like doing lfr it was so easy, the other layer 3 I was near death constantly.
    Yep. My first layer 3 as a balance druid was all Ironbark and Growl powers (wtf?) then some Prowl powers (dude, really?) and then an asshole named Synod who smacked me around until the Terragrue showed up.

It gave me jack shit for powers.

Then steam rolled Layer 3 in a group with a mage and a warlock.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2020-11-30 at 07:50 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

1. Slow down and take your time. Get all the power ups.

2. Not everything should be clearable day 1 for new players

Just noticed that picking certain powers unlock access to new powers when you have that skill.

For example. There is an anima power that allows you to move with ice block. Never got it because eh.. Not needed really. Took it and later I could pick a synergy that when I move in ice block it pulsate and deals dmg + freezes enemies.

Guess I have to play around with more spells I haven't bothered picking yet.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I think most people having issues must not be fully clearing the wings.if you fully clear each wing, by the time you get to the end boss, you’re nearly unstoppable.
    I kill every trash mob and check every corner and buy everything I can from the broker.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    Haven't had any issues as a druid tank, but I can certainly imagine that new players would have significant difficulties. But then a new player would have difficulty holding their own in any sort of endgame content week one, so I think it's pretty much par for the course.
    Wait till you get the caster boss with a steroid. First 70% are ewsy as fuck after that it becomes a time race.