Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Warner Bros to Release Entire 2021 lineup HBOMax & Theaters

Yay, I can get my Dune fix. Without having to risk exposure to the modern plague. Thanks WB.

In an unprecedented move, Warner Bros announced that it will debut all of its 2021 films on HBO Max and in theaters at the same exact time. The news has sparked discussion on how the traditional movie experience will be affected going forward.

Whoa. In what has to be the biggest movie news story of the year, Warner Bros. has just announced that it will premiere its entire 2021 slate of films theatrically and simultaneously on HBO Max.

This game-changing decision means HBO Max subscribers will be able to see every film from the studio without paying an extra dime, and more importantly, without leaving the safety of their homes during an ongoing public health crisis. (At least for the first month of these releases). Read on for a full list of titles that will be included in this new deal, including The Suicide Squad, Dune, The Matrix 4, and tons more.

Welcome to the Streaming Wars, HBO Max! This shocking decision instantly vaults the streaming service into “must-have” territory, making it an instant serious contender with Netflix and Disney+ after a relatively quiet (and at times confusing) launch.

Take my money HBO Max!
    Government Affiliated Snark

Game-changing. Probably the biggest and most important movie news in over 2 decades.

Sorry for those who work at movie theaters, but I am already subscribed to HBO Max, and I never go to the theaters myself even in the best of times, so this affects me positively.

This is the death of cinema.

Haul on the main brace! Make ready the guns!...and run out the sweeps!

Huh... Well, that'll be ANOTHER silver lining to 2020, if it forces the damned movie industry to finally get with the times and stop treating cinema ticket sales as the only viable metric for a "box office" result...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, cinema tickets is where all the profit came from for movies. Now they will need to find to make equal ammount of money from streaming so we all know what that means, sub price hike. I'm not subed to anythin atm and I can't see my self doing it in near future. Are you guys preppared to pay 2x more money for your subs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the straight to streaming netflix and disney movies have been shit. Sure these WB movies were made for the big screen so most of them will probably be good. But if they decide to focus more on streaming contet I guess 2022 will give us 1/3 good and 2/3 shit movies...

Quote Originally Posted by PresidentElectMilchschake View Post
    modern plague
    What do you gain by perpetuating this completely unfounded fear?
    Last edited by uwotm869; 2020-12-03 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uwotm869 View Post
    What do you gain by perpetuating the completely unfounded fear?
    Hey look...A puppet account posting a baiting statement. How original.

Everybody else, please just ignore this troll. Let him go and spout his nonsense elsewhere.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-12-03 at 11:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Hey look...A puppet account posting a baiting statement. How original.

Everybody else, please just ignore this troll. Let him go and spout his nonsense elsewhere.
    Well I meant the the plague of the "Members Only" perks.

I wasnt liking having to wait in line for 10 minutes for a popcorn. Because the counter is understaffed. Finally get to the front of the line, only to have members swoop in front of me for another 5 minutes.

Kinda felt like AMC management was trolling me personally.
    Government Affiliated Snark

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now might be the time to pick up stock in HBO.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

I'm not surprised by this although its still disappointing.

I do like going to the theatre and I am wondering if movie theatres will survive this or will be too expensive for someone with my modest budget.

On top of that I am also wondering if the streaming model will adequately support big budget movies.

7+ Year Old Account
    HBOmax? WTF ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post
    Most of the straight to streaming netflix and disney movies have been shit. Sure these WB movies were made for the big screen so most of them will probably be good. But if they decide to focus more on streaming contet I guess 2022 will give us 1/3 good and 2/3 shit movies...
    Those numbers sound like an improvement from the pre-covid film era of like 90:10 crap:good films. This might even nudge studios to focus more on quality storytelling. At least some of the value of dumb spectacle films is lost outside of a theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Well, cinema tickets is where all the profit came from for movies. Now they will need to find to make equal ammount of money from streaming so we all know what that means, sub price hike. I'm not subed to anythin atm and I can't see my self doing it in near future. Are you guys preppared to pay 2x more money for your subs?
    Maybe, but there are a lot of options for consumers and so most players still have to think about competition. It will be interesting to see what kinds of things change about the streaming marketplace once more studios/distributors follow suit.

I think it'll be a temporary change.
    I give it until the end of April.

I hope this becomes the standard.

People who like to go to the theater can still do that. And if theaters then say "but we don't have enough people to keep the doors open!" then guess what the customers have made their choice. Maybe selling popcorn for $10 was not a consumer-friendly business model in the first place, idk.

I don't know if Hollywood can be profitable sending $100 million budget movies to streaming services like this. I think that's why they're stressing that these are "temporary" measures. I imagine they have a deal with HBO Max for a cut of new subs around the release of these new movies.

Personally, I thought they were going to go with the Disney+ model for Mulan, which allows you to stream the movie on their platform for money........after you already pay for monthly access. Dunno if that's sustainable either, but I'm sure studios would prefer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Most movies bank their revenue from selling distribution rights overseas, licensing the content to television channels, streaming platforms, DVD sales, digital video sales etc. Franchises then also have merchandising etc etc. A theatrical run in fact is now just a glorified trailer for long term revenue generation. In many ways, Warner are saying, ‘let’s save money on a fuck ton of P&A and go fully digital’. This was inevitable. And it’s not a dumb move even. It’s just a move that has come 5 years ahead of schedule because of a pandemic.

15+ Year Old Account
    Though I welcome this news because I have subscribed to HBO Go and now HBO Max since I first got Hulu, I will still see some movies in the theater when they get released because my boyfriend and I love going to the movies once or twice a month for a date night. The couple theaters here locally that are opened have very limited seating available. Every other row is closed off and 2 seats on either side of your party is vacant too. They do a complete disinfecting of the theater after each show ends too. Sodas are dispensed by the theater staff in the one that normally allows you to fill it yourself and the other one has always had them fill your cup before COVID hit. Refills are no longer given in the same bucket if you order a large either. You simply hand them your receipt, they mark it with a black line through the receipt, and give you a new bucket if you want a refill. I'm thinking that maybe Dune, Suicide Squad, Mortal Kombat, and Matric will be seen in the theater for us. Since my boyfriend isn't a fan of DC (and honestly I'm not either but I happened to love the WW movie) I'll probably just watch the rest at home when they get released.