Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Why still create world events when the servers are not able to handle them?

This is an ongoing issue for nearly the whole lifespan of the game now, but it feels like it got even worse in BfA.
    Look at the pre expansion event: Each time one of the rares spawn there are like 100 players around and it gets impossible to actually use abilities simply because of lag (lag, not fps issues, don't mix that up). Everyone is just running on place without actually moving, the rares teleport sometimes from place to place and bag and then they die without actually doing anything.

Like this just feels SO bad. Either fundamentally improve the structure of the game so that events like this can be handled or create those events in another way (Scenarios perhaps?)
    Its a bit unfair, because the game is really old, but during those events you really FEEL how old it is.

Edit: For everybody who still does not understand what is going on, I have created the following video:
    As you can see, my FPS are fairly ok (around 50-60 FPS at this place, even with the big number of players around as well the fact that I am recording my screen at the same time).
    You will also see that my FPS stay this way for almost the whole fight, but when you look at my ability bar you will see how my abilities get pressed but don't actually get exectured. You can see other players talk about this exact issue in /say in German during the fight.
    Then suddenly close to the end my whole screen freezes. This was new, I never had this before and it was not something I initially talked about, but also here you can see players talk about it right after the kill is done in /s.
    After checking with around 20 of them, it seems like every single player on this kill was affected by this, not just me.

Also Asmongold stream capture about this (doesnt matter if you like him or not, this is about the technical issue):

And to point this out again, this is not an "this event only", as e.g. Nazjatar PVP events and Korraks Revenge are also affected by this.
    Last edited by Accendor; 2020-11-16 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    This is an ongoing issue for nearly the whole lifespan of the game now, but it feels like it got even worse in BfA.
    Look at the pre expansion event: Each time one of the rares spawn there are like 100 players around and it gets impossible to actually use abilities simply because of lag (lag, not fps issues, don't mix that up). Everyone is just running on place without actually moving, the rares teleport sometimes from place to place and bag and then they die without actually doing anything.

Like this just feels SO bad. Either fundamentally improve the structure of the game so that events like this can be handled or create those events in another way (Scenarios perhaps?)
    Its a bit unfair, because the game is really old, but during those events you really FEEL how old it is.
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Yeah I also experienced it.

Lag and FPS-drops are a different thing by the way, it doesnt seem like many know the difference judging the first reply.

I don't have a particularly monster computer but I don't get a lot of lag either, try turning your settings down when in large groups

He is talking NOT about your pc performance. Lags does not mean FPS drops. Your PC have nothing to do with server lags

I havent had any issues killing rares with hundreds of people around. No kind of lagging with movement or abilities. No fps drops either. Might be on your end.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Sounds like more of a you problem than a game problem. I haven't experienced lag in large scale rare events in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    I've killed dozens of rares and have experienced no lag. Ryzen 2600, amd 570, 16gb of cheap ram and a budget ssd. It's prob a you problem.
    More like it's a realm problem. Not all realms lagg as bad as the others. I only experience huge lag in Stormwind on Argent Dawn EU but I'd imagine that is because SW is not sharded there because that would fuck up RP.

5+ Year Old Account
    I also lag badly from time to time. It's like everything is fine with rare #1, but I get 700 ms+ lag spikes on rare #2. And I'm talking about world latency, which makes the game literally unplayable.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

@OP you probably got phased on an oceanic realm? Or some other server you have bad routing to.

haven't had any issues myself but a friend has had issues ever since the prepatch hit, not the event, so it could just be a weird tech issue that only affects a low percentage. those kinda issues usually get fixed but you can never be sure on the timeframe.

then again, i've also not seen 100 players around any rare, even the bag one was just a couple dozen. so maybe it's a sharding issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Krockedy View Post
    He is talking NOT about your pc performance. Lags does not mean FPS drops. Your PC have nothing to do with server lags
    Yeah, there's quite a bit of difference. You can have a super-smooth visual presentation on your screen, chat works perfectly, but the world freezes and your spells don't queue properly when fighting rares. If you have massive FPS loss and a choppy play experience, that generally translates into an addon or hardware problem.

Communication between your client and the servers has been pretty bad over time, especially in certain regions/servers. Blizz has even come out and talked about this, pretty sure Ion did in an interview addressing this as a real issue, as well. Even the beta stress test had similar issues, where everyone was getting performance hits and the game lagging out, NPC's not being responsive, etc... and that amount of people on the beta will be minuscule compared to what some servers are going to see at launch for Shadowlands. What the real cause is I couldn't tell you, as I'm not privy to that information, but the interviews and Blizz dev responses do indicate that it's a side effect of the calculations required per player per action increasing over time, as well as some issues involved with sharding.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Blizzard could solve this problem, but it'd cost more money so they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Your are talking about FPS, which has nothing to do with lag and which I literally addressed in the opening post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aerwydd View Post
    I don't have a particularly monster computer but I don't get a lot of lag either, try turning your settings down when in large groups
    Please read the OP again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Sounds like more of a you problem than a game problem. I haven't experienced lag in large scale rare events in years.
    So you telling me e.g. Nazjatar PVOP events never caused trouble on your end?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
    @OP you probably got phased on an oceanic realm? Or some other server you have bad routing to.
    Playing on EU realms, all players around me are from EU realms too.

@Accendor

I see you are having a hard time with the MMO-C community (>_<)

I watch swifty and asmongold and on BOTH streams there is a running joke about Blizzard servers being bad at handling a lot of people.
    But ofc
    This is a "you problem"

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Just to be clear: when I go there on midnight on a working day and there are only like 10 people around its not am issue at all. But those events are designed to attrackt much more people during prime play time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    @Accendor

I see you are having a hard time with the MMO-C community (>_<)

I watch swifty and asmongold and on BOTH streams there is a running joke about Blizzard servers being bad at handling a lot of people.
    But ofc
    This is a "you problem"
    Thank you so much, I am happy that at least some people 1) understand the difference between FPS issues and lag and 2) at least acknowledge there might be an issue, even if they are not affected themselves.

It's definitely a server problem. I play on a full server (Kazzak) and there'll be a 5+ second delay when killing rares.
    I agree that Blizzard should rework how they do these events since the full servers clearly can't handle them.

And just thinking about the launch in a week, where there'll be even more players, has me thinking that it'll be a lagfest from hell.
    I mean in recent expansions like legion and bfa, people had a choice of what zone to do first. In Shadowlands, everyone, both horde and alliance, have to go through the zones in the same order. The servers are going to melt!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valrchron View Post
    It's definitely a server problem. I play on a full server (Kazzak) and there'll be a 5+ second delay when killing rares.
    I agree that Blizzard should rework how they do these events since the full servers clearly can't handle them.

And just thinking about the launch in a week, where there'll be even more players, has me thinking that it'll be a lagfest from hell.
    I mean in recent expansions like legion and bfa, people had a choice of what zone to do first. In Shadowlands, everyone, both horde and alliance, have to go through the zones in the same order. The servers are going to melt!
    Hopefully they'll shard to all hell on launch after having seen the event.

Thank you so much, I am happy that at least some people 1) understand the difference between FPS issues and lag and 2) at least acknowledge there might be an issue, even if they are not affected themselves.
    Video proof in case someone asks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_m2w4Uf8yc&t=19m32s

they will

i wouldnt want Blizz to stop making world events just because different factors exist limiting people's ability to sometimes do these events.
    factors like server stability, computer specs, internet connection, etc.
    although this current "world event" is rather........lame.
    if a main issue is a server issue wouldnt something like layering or "sharding" fix it?