Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Possible to play 2 MMOs?

So MMORPGs are known as huge time sinks, but the grind has lessened over the years. Do you play more than one MMO at the same time? Is it possible to be “good” at multiple ones instead of half-assing them?

Of course if one of them is OSRS. Used to play that and WoW or other games at same time. Click once osrs, kill a mob in wow or heal a bit, click again osrs and repeat.

I play WoW and FFXIV and raid in both 2 days a week each, although in both games it's possible to reduce that to 1 day a week each at some point.
    WoW takes way more time than FFXIV due to M+ though but only for like 5-8 weeks every season

And Genshin Impact if you want to call that an MMO.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-01-29 at 06:32 AM.

No.
    If you play an MMO just a few hours from time to time then there is no point playing it, unless you want to just do the story.
    For a normal person of course.

good? probably not unless you don't do anything else. decent while casual? yes.

I am playing Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy 14, and Elder Scrolls online currently.

Playing multiple games is nothing.

Depends what spot you're at, I'd say. Just starting? Then you probably can't devote enough time in both to get remotely up-to-date. But if you've played some MMOs for years and you're just there to experience new content, then you can probably play 5 at the same time and not miss out on anything. Most MMOs aren't really timesinks anymore and don't require that much farming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

It is absolutely possible, I never understood why people think otherwise.

There may be times when you "need" to dedicate more time to one over another due to raid scheduling and whatnot (new patch drops so you need to go through the new story, level a bit, learn the new rotations or whatever), but at some point both/all of them will be in a kind of maintenance mode style game play where you only "need" to sign in for a few hours each week to stay polished on your skills and do the raids/trials or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    So MMORPGs are known as huge time sinks, but the grind has lessened over the years. Do you play more than one MMO at the same time? Is it possible to be “good” at multiple ones instead of half-assing them?
    I don't, but yes its possible. All about time management and how good the group of people you're playing with is at the game. Oh and what your goals are of course.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It is absolutely possible, I never understood why people think otherwise.
    I think it comes from two aspects; 1. everyone has their own interpretation of what playing the game "decently" means 2. some people are shorter on time than they think.

Though all this can be nonsense depending on the game or POV. This particular forum heavily slanted toward the somewhat singular experience of World of Warcraft only reinforces those two aspects I think this perspective comes from.

It really doesn't take much time at all to "raid" in most games. Rarely can one raid daily or multiple times a day. You might be in there for only a few hours a week in total. The rest is upkeep and hanging out for the most part in many games. Which typically players have hours and hours to spare in a given week.

For example, I raid in FF14 but I only have to do maybe 2-3 hours of upkeep in a given week. Actual raids with my guild are only a few times a week, where we spend a couple of hours running something. So I might play... 12-15 hours a week total? That's being generous too because as one progresses that amount of hours goes way down close to 0 per week.

People mistake hanging out in their house, picking apples, fishing, browsing the exchange, et cetera as a daily requirement. Most games are not designed that way at all. I can't even recall the last time I crafted some shit or just putz'd around my house or play with transmog in FF14.

Some games don't have that kind of upkeep though. Such as ESO where I might log in a few times a week, work on a quest line or two. Join a guild party for a couple of runs and I am in & out in a few hours. I don't have to sit there reading the complete history of Morag Borag Shabang daily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your approach to them and the content thats entailed in them that you want to do. You can easily play 2 if you are not planning of being a super complitionist :P

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    People mistake hanging out in their house, picking apples, fishing, browsing the exchange, et cetera as a daily requirement. Most games are not designed that way at all. I can't even recall the last time I crafted some shit or just putz'd around my house or play with transmog in FF14.

Some games don't have that kind of upkeep though. Such as ESO where I might log in a few times a week, work on a quest line or two. Join a guild party for a couple of runs and I am in & out in a few hours. I don't have to sit there reading the complete history of Morag Borag Shabang daily.
    ^This is what it boils down to in my experience.

People mistake things they CAN do as things they HAVE to do.

There's nothing wrong with spending all your time in one game if you enjoy that time. But if you WANT to play more than one game, you absolutely can, you just have to spread your time accordingly and be realistic about what you accomplish in that time.

Granted, as you alluded to, this has as much to do with time management as it does with actual time available. But, I'd assume that most avid gamers who are even asking the question have the time available, though exceptions do exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds like a terrible idea.

I play WoW when I want to develop the character I have had for years on end. But when I don't feel like playing WoW I like playing new single player games and getting to know new stories and gameplays.

I cannot really fathom the painful limbo that would come from competitively playing two MMOs at the same time as my only choice of games ever

so it definitely seems like individual perception of what decently means. for me getting good at a game = doing or at least being capable of doing hardest available end game content.

I play ESO and WoW mostly, with a side of Division 2 (not an MMO, but eh) Division I play maybe... 3-4 hours a week? almost entirely with my SO. we don't raid, just do some weekly missions together. I don't do any of the dailies. I do participate in seasons (hence weekly missions) my gear is very decent, but I'm ok at best.

I play ESO casually. mostly solo content with occasional dungeon or battleground. events. once in a blue moon I might to a normal trial (raid) I'm... bellow mediocre in that game. raiding well in ESO requires way WAY more time commitment than I'm willing to give, at least up front. why? because getting good at ESO combat requires a LOT of practice. for some more then others. once you are good, upkeep is not as time consuming, but you gotta get good or you don't pull the numbers needed to do vet content.

WoW feels like the grindiest to do end game content. so.. I don't. I cannot be bothered to keep up with maw and torgast and the only reason I bother with covenant callings is because mount and pet and occasional toy/transmog is pretty much the only things i play wow for nowadays. getting my gear to the point where I could to mythic, and doing the mythic is just.. meh. don't want

for me at least, for my definition. to get good, I would have to focus on just one MMO. and I would rather dabble in multiples. but that's just me.

It's definitely possible as others have alluded, but at what cost? I don't know your situation at all, but I do know mine has gotten significantly more challenging as I've gotten older (mid 30s).

I am a 95%+ parser in both games (ret in wow, PLD in FF14), and when I was playing both simultaneously my logs dipped in both games to ~80-85% avg. I still cleared content and WoW was still 95-99%+ if you go by ilvl (which is significantly lower than my skill as a ex top 20 raider, because I haven't had time to do M+), but FF14 dipped more than I was happy with.

My bigger issue is that raiding in both games made my weeks hell. Gaming isn't my only hobby and I play tennis competitively during the week 2x and 1-2x during weekends and considering this is how I justify eating cheesecake I can't really pare it back so much. I'm fortunate enough that I work ONLY 40 hours a week, but my job is exhausting mentally and post covid being at home 100% near my PC kind of makes me not want to be near it when work is done. This schedule basically gave me 0 flexibility in my week, and made me so exhausted I could barely enjoy my weekends.

This doesn't count doing ANYTHING IRL like responsibilities or relationships or MAYBE I wanted to play another game for a bit? It gave me very little downtime to genuinely relax. It ended up burning me out and I quit both games mid tier.

TLDR - It can be done easily, but it has costs. It's up to you to determine if that cost is worth it to you.

Playing multiple MMOs is actually the way to go. A single dev team can only do so much to provide you with content so that you don't get bored, and narrowly focusing one MMO to be 'the best' is totally overrated unless you are in a top mythic guild. For the rest of us, we are just grinding away to get gear that's going to become obsolete after the next patch hits.

It depends entirely on how much spare time you have and how much of your spare time you want to invest in playing multiple MMORPGS.

It really depends on what ones you play, how often they update, how much free time you got, and how many alts you want in each game.

You could easily play Star Trek Online and Guild Wars 2 just for the story and events once you reach endgame and maybe only put 100 hours into them each year(just a guess) since the level cap/gear cap in STO doesn't increase that often and any t6 ship and t5u ships are viable for all content, and GW2 gear level doesn't increase.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-01-29 at 07:40 PM.

I am playing Black Desert Online, Final Fantasy 14, and Elder Scrolls online currently.

Motivate me to get past ARR T_T, it's pain.

Having said that I play WoW, FFXIV and ESO.

In WoW I just do PvP with friends until we get Gladiator and do M+ until we get Keystone Master then we stop playing for a patch, although we're getting bored of Blizzard rushing us with these time limited achievements causing some false anxiety.

In ESO i just like the questing so I play that whenever I feel like that.

And I'm trying to get into FFXIV because I heard it also has no real time commitments. Will probably end up dropping WoW.
    Last edited by RainEls; 2021-01-29 at 07:42 PM.

Amd how many hours do you play videogames per week? I doubt it is near "nothing".