Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights. civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector. the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc. this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Wrong. It would be challenged so fucking quickly and thrown out by any court so fucking quick. Also, political affiliation is a fucking choice, and there is a fucking reason there is no protections for that.

- - - Updated - - -

what if twitter banned all black people? should they be fined? what if they banned all right wing people. should they be fined? its a civil rights issue.

ive said this before. i think one the ball gets rolling, civil rights extending to political persuasion may extend all the way down to MMOC. This website could get investigated in the long run for banning people for political speech, and the owners and even moderators may wind up liable. its coming and this is the start. and it could be retroactive. they will look back and do a hard pass on 2020 posts and start levying fines.
    If they are banning them for being black, then that is a 14th amendment violation. And banning all right wing people, is actually not protected. As political affiliation is a fucking choice. And no, they won't get investigated, it will be fucking funny watching DeSantis try this shit, just to waste millions on it and losing.

You also said the civil war was coming, for years now, and it hasn't came.

- - - Updated - - -

im just saying, its not out of the realm of possibilty that they will fine you some day.
    Actually it is pretty much guaranteed that this law will never pass, and if it passes, it will be struck down so fucking fast that your head will spin.

- - - Updated - - -

I think its very possible of Florida governor Desantis ran for president in 2024 on a platform of passing a new federal law protecting political speech on the internet, complete with fines of owners and moderators, he would not only win the nomination in a landslide but could win the election. Again, that's cascading off of the banning of Trump and banning of Parler. Its become a huge issue on the right.
    No, he wouldn't, because literally nothing he would be passing would actually be enforceable.

oh lord koko making coocoo predictions again. Don't understand the desire to be openly mocked but to each their own.

If you watch Fox news, the big issue they talk about is political censorship on conservatives by websites. The hosts are irate. The scrawl on the bottom talks about it. I'd say its possibly the #1 issue now on the right. This is the sort of website that would get targeted.
    The fact that you watch Fox News, and believe their bullshit, doesn't surprise me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters
    I'd actually like to discuss this part. At first glance it sounds like someone could look at Twitter's ban on intentional fraudulent information, such as lies about the election meant to instigate violence, and say "no no, let the man finish". Which means Twitter would just erase the posts instead, since they violate the terms of service. That sounds like a situation designed to backfire.

If you watch Fox news, the big issue they talk about is political censorship on conservatives by websites. The hosts are irate. The scrawl on the bottom talks about it. I'd say its possibly the #1 issue now on the right. This is the sort of website that would get targeted.
    Yup, there it is, way to prove my first post in this thread is 100% completely spot on.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are yelling on Fox News, none stop, about being censored? Well...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Yup, there it is, way to prove my first post in this thread is 100% completely spot on.
    Next thing they do, is make political stickers on your car illegal, unless you have a GOP one as well. Save the planet? Not without a GOP sticker saying to fuck it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

I think its very possible of Florida governor Desantis ran for president in 2024 on a platform of passing a new federal law protecting political speech on the internet, complete with fines of owners and moderators, he would not only win the nomination in a landslide but could win the election. Again, that's cascading off of the banning of Trump and banning of Parler. Its become a huge issue on the right.
    Wow just wow.
    The only people who care are the people already voting for the crazy...i mean republican party.

Its already forgotten, its out of the press...fox could care less its just fodder, drudge and rush don't even mention it anymore.

in 2024 no one will care except the crazies.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    They are yelling on Fox News, none stop, about being censored? Well...

- - - Updated - - -

Next thing they do, is make political stickers on your car illegal, unless you have a GOP one as well. Save the planet? Not without a GOP sticker saying to fuck it...
    And for years pushing @Kokolums crying there is no trust in main stream media, only to have it 100% restored when their doomsday clock brock.

Not surprised the new doomsday clock is a complete 180.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are 328 million people in US... 75 million voted Trump, with 80 million voting Biden.

US accounts for 36 million active Twitter accounts. With only 22% of US adults, using Twitter.

26 million Americans have been infected with Covid.

160 million Americans received the first stimulus.

If you think working class Americans are not seeing that GOP priorities are totally fucked... your privilege is blinding.

- - - Updated - - -

The only people who care are the people already voting for the crazy...i mean republican party.
    The total number of American adults using Twitter, is not even half of the vote Biden got. Projecting victory based on that number, is a joke. Social media is not as critical to people’s lives, as social media makes it seem.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

7+ Year Old Account
    The new regulations announced by DeSantis include:

Mandatory opt-outs from big tech’s content filters, a solution to tech censorship first proposed by Breitbart News in 2018.

A private right of action for Floridian citizens against tech companies that violate this condition.

Fines of $100,000 per day levied on tech companies that suspend candidates for elected office in Florida from their platforms.

Daily fines for any tech company “that uses their content and user-related algorithms to suppress or prioritize the access of any content related to a political candidate or cause on the ballot.”
    Greater transparency requirements.

Disclosure requirements enforced by Florida’s election authorities for tech companies that favor one candidate over another.

Power for the Florida attorney general to bring cases against tech companies that violate these conditions under the state’s Unfair and Deceptive Practices Act.
    I should first say, this is absolutely stupid. If politicians break a platform's ToS, they should not expect to have some immunity from punishment, nor should the personal beliefs of a companies employees impact whether they can be allowed to enforce their rules, which is the reason behind the disclosure. The fact that these politicians want to impinge on the freedom of speech of others purely because it is not speech they like is a disgusting betrayal of the values they claim to hold, though I doubt this would be enforceable as this will be considered an unlawful infringement on the first amendment; however, even if this were enforceable, this would not have the effect that they believe it will. If an individual state wants to control a corporation's ability to moderate the content it hosts, it's likely that tech companies whose content must be moderated, such as social media companies, will develop methods of region locking from some states, likely directing users to pages that would allow them to see why the content is no longer accessible.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Last edited by Egomaniac; 2021-02-03 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Good question, actually. We'd have to go to some Civil Rights lawyers for an informed answer on that.

No, they wouldn't. Political party or ideology is not a protected class.

Based on what interpretation of the actual law itself? Cite it!

Man, I see you've picked new angle for your "street corner doomsday prophet" gig.

- - - Updated - - -

It is. Political view is not a protected class. Cite your evidence and/or research or just admit you're making shit up as you go.
    Its not rn but it could be made one. Which I guess is the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NED funded View Post
    What possible reason could there be to do so?

This is nothing more than abusive bigots who want there to be laws to prevent people from responding to them as if they were abusive bigots. It has nothing to do with political leanings. Nobody's getting banned off social media or the like for being right-wing. They're being banned for pushing disinformation, being abusive, or being bigoted. Or any combination thereof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's also ridiculous, because nobody's being banned off social media for "being right wing".
    "We should storm the capital and take back the election from the evil democrats who stole it! #HangMikePence"

*gets kicked off Twitter*

"Why is Twitter so mean to right winters????"
    Putin khuliyo

Why would people want Nazis to be a protected class?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What possible reason could there be to do so?
    There could be an argument that because religion is a protected class, political affiliation wouldn't be a far stretch.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    There could be an argument that because religion is a protected class, political affiliation wouldn't be a far stretch.
    And it would be a terrible argument.

"We should not be judged for being Nazis, and that Jewish business owner should be forced to serve us."

Good luck with that.

Such a move would require new legislation, which is the point. Koko seems to think the existing laws could be interpreted to included political views, because apparently he hasn't actually read any of the legislation so is just imagining what it might read like and how he can just make shit up to make it fit his arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    the proposed florida law would fall under civil speech rights. civil rights laws are where the government regulates interaction in the private sector. the government can invoke civil rights to prevent a business from banning people by race, sex, etc. this law is extending civil rights to political persuation.
    Political affiliations not being protected class is actually a nice loophole for some bakeries when it comes to making a cake for their obvious political opponents

Why would you want to get rid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Political affiliations not being protected class is actually a nice loophole for some bakeries when it comes to making a cake for their obvious political opponents

Why would you want to get rid of it?
    It's not a loophole at all. That's a feature, my dude.