Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Will we keep society locked down indefinitely?

I'm not against lockdowns, I just wonder how long we can realistically keep it like this.

There are a couple of things I'm looking at;
    1. We have reached the point of no return. The disease is here to stay. We are never getting rid of it. It will exist alongside us just like other diseases you catch on a yearly basis, like the flu (Covid is worse, I'm just making the point that it's here to stay, just like it and it won't go away).
    2. The virus might mutate, making vaccines less effecting and/or useless.

So what are we looking at? For how long can we keep this up? Are we still gonna have lockdowns 10 years from now?
    At some point we have to learn to live with the disease, because it's part of reality. Yes, it has been right up until this point to do what has been needed, but we can't keep it up forever, or can we? At some point, the mental health degradation will become just as dangerous as the virus, I think.

What are your thoughts?

Of course it won't be indefinite. It would be unenforceable, and the economic and societal damage would be unthinkable. We will have further lockdowns if and when they ever become necessary again, but with multiple vaccine programs already in place the chances of that happening are low.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    No - vaccination is moving forward nicely. Optimistically we'll have schools open without COVID-19 restrictions in the Fall. And once we're at that stage, most everything else should be open.

Masks will be an interesting issue though.

10+ Year Old Account
    The virus is as bad as people allow it to be. Areas that were smart, strong, and followed the have lifted restrictions or created a livable normal months ago. So much that now how built in systems in place to deal with future challenges.

Places were bitched and moaned, resisted precautions, opened early during their 3rd/4th/5th wave only prolong the situation making things harder in the long run. They mask their 'bravey' or not treating the virus for what it is with an inability to adapt and cope while finding ways to be content.

People can't stand 6ft apart and put a piece of cloth over their mouth. I see no evidence in believing that the general population of certain areas will do well with vaccines. Right now we're trying to get the elderly and the front line of frontline workers poked - people who are willing and desperate for a shot.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I don't know.

It would be interesting to see especially with climate change and how it affects other organisms. I had a discussion with a friend and she said that unknown organisms are starting to resurface because of climate change. Then it got me thinking and wondering if there are other undiscovered viruses.

Also, I wish people would really educate themselves on what COVID actually does. If you get it you will probably never be the same.
    Last edited by echowisp; 2021-02-21 at 10:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    No - vaccination is moving forward nicely. Optimistically we'll have schools open without COVID-19 restrictions in the Fall. And once we're at that stage, most everything else should be open.

Masks will be an interesting issue though.
    Fauci said "probably until 2022"
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That was for masks. He’s expecting a mostly normal resumption of life by the end of the year at the latest.
    People need to readjust their definition of normal for example we will have more people working from home from now on. Any business owner with half a brain will jump at the cost saving of having the same if not higher productivity without having to pay sky high rent. That's not even going into jobs that are never coming back due to the speeding up of automation or changes in business models like the movie industry.

The same goes for masks and socially distancing from strangers people who badly want to go back to the way it was are not accepting reality, the virus has permanently changed the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    That was for masks. He’s expecting a mostly normal resumption of life by the end of the year at the latest.
    I mean that could apply to tomorrow if people just wear their damn masks.

I'm pretty into this lockdown surprisingly. About October- December I was kinda getting weary of it. But when January came around and now February leaving... I'm about it.

Let's keep this going.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-02-22 at 02:56 AM.

Given your 2 points, I don't see Newsom fully opening California for the foreseeable future.

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

If the variants take hold and the current set of vaccines prove inadequate then I can see further surges and shutdowns. Hopefully not the case but we'll just have to wait and see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EliWallach View Post
    Given your 2 points, I don't see Newsom fully opening California for the foreseeable future.

https://covid19.ca.gov/safer-economy/

If the variants take hold and the current set of vaccines prove inadequate then I can see further surges and shutdowns. Hopefully not the case but we'll just have to wait and see.
    The UK variant might as well be the US variant. Luckily the US is seeing a down trend in cases. But because the US has a shit ton of cases...it means we still have a shit ton of cases and experts arent holding their breath. Sadly some people are going to find out their natural immunity is gone as we cross the 'anniversary' of the pandemic gaining national attention.

As long as the human population keeps increasing, and humans encroach more and more into wildlands, worse diseases will be unleashed.

If people stopped having sex with pangolins, that would help too.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2021-02-22 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I'm pretty into this lockdown surprisingly. About October- December I was kinda getting weary of it. But when January came around and now February leaving... I'm about it.

Let's keep this going.
    I hate to admit it but I found the lockdown, staying at home, working completely from home, and pick up totally cool. The amount of quiet and cleanness of the world outside made going for a walk great.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    We'll only be in lockdown until they finally wear down the last people actually wanting to live outside a gilded cage.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I also actually like wearing a mask. There’s less pressure when I have to talk to people becuase I don’t have to fake smile an shit.
    You were wearing a mask even then.
    ...just more honest now.

I'll be honest, I hate wearing a mask. I've yet to find a design that is even remotely comfortable for me for a longer stretch of time. I'm lucky enough that I do not work around people, cause that would be absolute hell. I still have to wear a respirator when I work on certain things on my own (cause fumes/dust), but even then it comes off the moment its safe to do so. and then... there is the whole makeup thing. I know for some people its a boon, but I actualy LIKE makeup and while I still wear it at home, cause I can, I miss wearing it outside of home.

that said. from what I've been following, while covid is likely here to stay, its going to be like flu in that with vaccination especially, the strains will become weakened, outbreaks smaller and it will not have such a high death rate or severe consequences anymore. eventually. so... we WILL come off lockdown. how soon? will depend on a rate of vaccination including how many anti vaxxers will get their heads out of their asses.

some people might still wear masks in public, some for disease safety reasons (after all it helps reduce flu infection as well) some for privacy reasons (its amazing how much more difficult those masks make facial recognition, especially when worn with glasses). but otherwise... this is not indefinite even considering that we are not eradicating covid for good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I know, that's what I was referring to.
    Putin khuliyo

I admit this has kept peoples interest for longer then I expected. At some point I figured people would just accept it was the new seasonal flu and move on..

That said as long as it continues I get full wages for half shifts due to the "vital" nature of my work so I'm not complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I admit this has kept peoples interest for longer then I expected. At some point I figured people would just accept it was the new seasonal flu and move on..

That said as long as it continues I get full wages for half shifts due to the "vital" nature of my work so I'm not complaining.
    lol new seasonal flu that almost complely locks up all avalible hospital services in an entire state, will be quite interesting thing to "live with"
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post

"seasonal flues" don't lead to full-capacity hospitals or necessitate mass graves to inter the people it killed off.

Do you think the whole "wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands, avoid gatherings" thing was just so some people could avoid the sniffles?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.