Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What do you think about dumb questions about lore?

And so, I sat on Reddit for a while and noticed such a thing. People are constantly asking stupid questions. Moreover, they are often the same. For example, one of the most popular questions in recent months is why there are only 4 Covenants, or why the Scourge did not attack Azeroth after the destruction of the crown. Or, recently there was a case. The man created a topic in which he wanted to learn more about the bronze dragons and their connection with the Titans (he knew that the dragons received power from the Titans and wanted to know how great the Titans' abilities in manipulating time). And I told him (as I told people who ask these questions about the Scourge or the Covenants) to just open Wowpedia. And for this, people give me dozens of disadvantages. Seriously, opening the bronze dragons or Titans page on Wowpedia often takes much less time than posting a new topic on Reddit. But people don't want that, and worst of all, the Reddit community doesn't mind constantly answering these stupid questions (it really doesn't take long, but nonetheless). You may have heard this saying, 'Give a man a fish and he will be full for one day. Give a man a fishing rod and he will be fed all his life. '' I am firmly convinced that this is how it works. I do not mind helping a person when he asks a really interesting and unique question and the answer to which is most likely hidden in a couple of lines of some book from 2006. But my god, if you're interested in the Scourge, can you just open the Scourge's Wowpedia page? There is quite a bit of information there, and there are even separate paragraphs about the Scourge's activities during the various expansions, including the newest one.

And so, sorry for the long post, but my whole post is reduced to one question. How does it work in this forum? If you are asked a stupid question, for example, what is Fel and how it works, will you explain what it is, tell man who asked you about its destructive properties and connection with demons, or just give a link to Wowpedia?

Retcons make any and all lore questions fairly inane to begin with.

Why are people asking dumb questions about people asking dumb questions? Just go to wikipedia and read up on human psychology

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Generally I briefly explain it and cite my source back to whatever is needed to show authority, authenticity, or whatever. If it's a topic that doesn't really work with a brief explanation I'll link to WoWPedia or whatever if they want to know more.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    Why are people asking dumb questions about people asking dumb questions? Just go to wikipedia and read up on human psychology
    Please don't say that nonsense anymore. I ask about how people on this forum behave to compare with how people behave on reddit. And human psychology is a little more complex (I'll surprise you) than the Scourge in a fictional universe.

3+ Year Old Account
    Worst thing imo is when people talk about lore like they know it even though their lore only persists of not-reading books or quest texts.

See the Nathanos discussion. Anyone who read Shadows Rising would know that his arc is over, nonetheless most people are like "Will he return? Sure he will return! He's Sylvanas' boyfriend!" and same people falsely answer questions on reddit and mmo-c. Wowpedia is 99% correct, just read it.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuli View Post
    Worst thing imo is when people talk about lore like they know it even though their lore only persists of not-reading books or quest texts.

See the Nathanos discussion. Anyone who read Shadows Rising would know that his arc is over, nonetheless most people are like "Will he return? Sure he will return! He's Sylvanas' boyfriend!" and same people falsely answer questions on reddit and mmo-c. Wowpedia is 99% correct, just read it.
    A strange example. It would be strange if his arc was over, given that this expansion is about life after death. And hasn't it already been confirmed that he will be one of the bosses in the new dungeons?

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    A strange example. It would be strange if his arc was over, given that this expansion is about life after death. And hasn't it already been confirmed that he will be one of the bosses in the new dungeons?
    He failed Sylvanas. His taunting "you just send me to my lady"-message to tyrande was just that: A taunt. Sylvanas literally abandons him after the SL cinematic, telling him to "await orders", because he failed at killing Bwonsamdi. He should "find a new way to kill Bwonsamdi", which is obviously impossible when he has no support by an army or his lady at all. His return to Marris' stead is a suicide mission and his World Boss Fight (and death) was already implied.
    And it was not confirmed. The new dungeon has nothing to do with Sylvanas and the new raid doesn't mention Nathanos yet.

Sure, he could be a puppet mechanic as a soul in the maw, or as a tragic thing in the after-raid-cinematic, but Nathanos like we know him is dead dead and not really high on priority right now. Although I'm sniffing some love story recruitment in the air, now that Sylvanas is not satisfied with the Jailor's plan.

Thing is not the details though: I mean people who didn't read that at all, didn't research why he even was where he was in the pre-patch but speculate about his whereabouts like they're Pyromancer or something.
    Last edited by Yuli; 2021-03-15 at 03:55 PM.
    WoW players are all trash? M+ leavers? Pug raid fails? You don't have stuff to do? WoW has become a solo player game for you? People don't talk anymore? Everyone's toxic? I have a simple solution, just for you!
    Get social. Join a guild.

3+ Year Old Account
    They're ok most of the time, and Blizzard just tends to retcon stuff anyway. Thing is, speculating is fun, so people tend to ask lots of supposedly 'dumb' questions
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Wait, so questions of lore only pertain to a particular arc, or expansion and only last until the next expansion or storyline? Yeah, that fits with retcons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Not confirmed yet, but certainly possible. So far only four bosses have been confirmed in the raid (Eye of the Jailer, the Fate of the Damned, Kel'Thuzad, and Sylvanas), leaving 6 still to be determined. As for the new dungeon, we don't know any of the bosses save that one of them is a Broker of some kind, what appears to be an elemental, some kind of tripod-like construct, and an Infinite drake that is oddly dressed as a pirate?

Nathanos could still appear in either of these, or not appear, depending on what they want to do with him.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Not confirmed yet, but certainly possible. So far only four bosses have been confirmed in the raid (Eye of the Jailer, the Fate of the Damned, Kel'Thuzad, and Sylvanas), leaving 6 still to be determined. As for the new dungeon, we don't know any of the bosses save that one of them is a Broker of some kind, what appears to be an elemental, some kind of tripod-like construct, and an Infinite drake that is oddly dressed as a pirate?

Nathanos could still appear in either of these, or not appear, depending on what they want to do with him.
    I'm not talking about a raid, I'm talking about some kind of dungeon. Even during the SL beta, some players found a mention in the game files that Nathanos will be the boss in one of the dungeons.

Please don't say that nonsense anymore. I ask about how people on this forum behave to compare with how people behave on reddit. And human psychology is a little more complex (I'll surprise you) than the Scourge in a fictional universe.
    You can drop the farce now, it is very obvious from the way you write that youre either a teenager or a very young adult who is going through their "iamverysmart" phase. Dont worry, you will grow out of it... hopefully.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-03-15 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I'm not talking about a raid, I'm talking about some kind of dungeon. Even during the SL beta, some players found a mention in the game files that Nathanos will be the boss in one of the dungeons.
    I remember that Nathanos had a model and ID within the Shadowlands assets, but nothing associated with a dungeon specifically? Not sure the former is conclusive of anything, though; various WoW Betas are replete with NPC's and their ID's who are in the game data but nevertheless don't appear in-game in any capacity. He could well show up, but there's not yet anything conclusive to that end just yet.

It's a pretty normal thing on the internet to ask questions for some person on person interaction, a discussion, follow up questions, etc. Instead of just looking something up. This is nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by qwikz View Post
    You can drop the farce now, it is very obvious from the way you write that youre either a teenager or a very young adult who is going through their "iamverysmart" phase. Dont worry, you will grow out of it... hopefully.
    Oh, I love psychologists in the comments so much. Can I try it too? You are clearly older than me, most likely you are 35-40 years old, and you are a virgin. Perhaps you studied psychology really well in college, and spent the rest of your time playing video games, and now you are trying to add value by analyzing other Internet users.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2021-03-15 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Received Infraction

10+ Year Old Account
    I... am inclined to agree. To an extent.

Far too often threads pop up on this website in particular, in the Lore sub-forum and General Discussions, that are very, very... simple. Either answered with a "yes" or "no" or just a 1 sentence reply. Questions that can be answered if the user copy & pastes their thread title into a search engine. Unfortunately this website, regular posters and moderation, hates it when people reply with "just Google it" or something similar. The thread can be answered within 2-3 posts and be derailed immediately after, and then you go into the realm of the thread having no more purpose.

You will have posters reply to the question "Why is Sargeras evil?" with literal copy & pastes from any lore source or somehow turn a 1 sentence answer into a 5 paragraph post. Ok, sure... to facilitate discussion. But if the original question posed is literally a "yes" or "no" answer response, or a 1 sentence answer, what is the point.

I suppose you have to ask yourself this then: why participate in online discussion based forums in the first place? It's going to happen no matter what.

Perhaps people just assume that most posters are posting with the best intentions, and not in bad faith/low effort/trolling. Some usual suspects (who can't be named due to inconsistent rule enforcing) post in this way and get a mix of answers.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2021-03-15 at 09:21 PM.

And so, I sat on Reddit for a while and noticed such a thing. People are constantly asking stupid questions. Moreover, they are often the same. For example, one of the most popular questions in recent months is why there are only 4 Covenants, or why the Scourge did not attack Azeroth after the destruction of the crown. Or, recently there was a case. The man created a topic in which he wanted to learn more about the bronze dragons and their connection with the Titans (he knew that the dragons received power from the Titans and wanted to know how great the Titans' abilities in manipulating time). And I told him (as I told people who ask these questions about the Scourge or the Covenants) to just open Wowpedia. And for this, people give me dozens of disadvantages. Seriously, opening the bronze dragons or Titans page on Wowpedia often takes much less time than posting a new topic on Reddit. But people don't want that, and worst of all, the Reddit community doesn't mind constantly answering these stupid questions (it really doesn't take long, but nonetheless). You may have heard this saying, 'Give a man a fish and he will be full for one day. Give a man a fishing rod and he will be fed all his life. '' I am firmly convinced that this is how it works. I do not mind helping a person when he asks a really interesting and unique question and the answer to which is most likely hidden in a couple of lines of some book from 2006. But my god, if you're interested in the Scourge, can you just open the Scourge's Wowpedia page? There is quite a bit of information there, and there are even separate paragraphs about the Scourge's activities during the various expansions, including the newest one.

And so, sorry for the long post, but my whole post is reduced to one question. How does it work in this forum? If you are asked a stupid question, for example, what is Fel and how it works, will you explain what it is, tell man who asked you about its destructive properties and connection with demons, or just give a link to Wowpedia?
    I think people sometimes want to talk to each other and not just read information. Maybe they don't want to read a wiki and enjoy other people explaning the lore in a more simple way. I spend a lot of time explaning the lore to friends on Discord and they enjoy that a lot. I also don't think there is any stupid question and we should all enjoy and accept new people wanting to learn about the lore of a game we all like a lot. It's a good thing for the game and the community. I think it's a lot like people telling other people that they should read "real books" when reading mangas or crime novels. I think it's wrong to act like that and that people should be encouraged to read what they enjoy, because that's what is important. People should support each other, encourage each other.

hmm, i dunno, maybe bc this is a discussion forum made exactly for that?
    and if you let someone trigger you with obvious trolling questions, its really your own fault.
    The crooked shitposter with no eyes is watching from the endless thread.

From the space that is everywhere and nowhere, the crooked shitposter feasts on memes.

He has no eyes to see, but he dreams of infinite memeing and trolling.

They didn't. They found that his meta-data contained a boss tag, nothing more. It was likely for the world boss fight in EPL.