The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So apparently Watson's two preferred teams this year are the Vikings or Bucs.

And honestly? I think he ends up on neither. Minnesota's got a new coaching staff that probably doesn't want to swing for the fences (and potentially miss) when they have a servicable Kirk Cousins right there. And I doubt the Texans want to get a high 20s pick back this year, and potentially a pick in the 30s the next two years as well.

Frankly, looking at the draft order, I'd be shocked if Watson is anywhere but Carolina next year. You get a top 10 pick this year, and that team might think they're a plug and play QB away, but more likely you're talking a pick in the teens back next year as well. Great ammo to rebuild that team this year, then good picks to bundle to move up for your QB next year.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Pete Carmichael staying on as Saints OC, the team seems to be going for maximum continuity.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Pete Carmichael staying on as Saints OC, the team seems to be going for maximum continuity.
    Do you think that extends to the QB position? will they bring back Jameis? Or do you think they look elsewhere?

Much depends on their decisions there (like most teams).

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Do you think that extends to the QB position? will they bring back Jameis? Or do you think they look elsewhere?

I think they're going to try and go hard for a trade or draft a QB in mid round 1 if they don't just trade up higher in the draft. I'm fine if they resign Jaemis on a team friendly deal. I'd love to see the team with Michael Thomas back, Kamara back to form and Taysom Hill back in the jack of all trades role. That would be a nice core to help a rookie QB.

10+ Year Old Account

There is so much yet to shake out at the QB position league wide. Watson could be traded, so too could Rodgers, Wilson, or others. We won't really know the market on Winston until those dominoes fall, and, assuming he's healthy, Bridgewater is out there as a cheaper alternative if things heat up and the price for Winston goes up. The draft still has good QB prospects but not what there's been in recent years, so teams might be more aggressive on trades and free agency.

I think the Saints will want to bring him back, but it might not be possible.
    If the Saints want to try the draft then Bridgewater makes sense as a *cough* bridge QB, it looks like the Saints are being linked to Corral from Ole Miss, but none of this means much in February.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    There is so much yet to shake out at the QB position league wide. Watson could be traded, so too could Rodgers, Wilson, or others. We won't really know the market on Winston until those dominoes fall
    True. Let's take stock.

AFC

East:

Bills: Set
    Pats: Set
    Dolphins: Potential Change, but would put Tua on the market, who would have draw.
    Jets: Set

North:

Bengals: Set
    Steelers: Open
    Browns: Potential Change, but would put Baker on the market and he has draw
    Ravens: Set

South:

Titans: Set
    Colts: Probable Change. Wentz will go to market but I doubt he is anything more than a last resort for teams.
    Texans: Open. They have Davis Mills, and Watson, but would clearly upgrade if they could. Watson definitely has a market.
    Jags: Set

West:

Chiefs: Set
    Raiders: Set. They are apparently already doing work to extend Carr.
    Chargers: Set
    Broncos: Open

NFC

East:

Cowboys: Set
    Eagles: Potential Change. It would not surprise me to see Howie make a big swing if one is available. Hurts will have a market if he does.
    Commies: Potential Change. They have Heinicke, but they'd upgrade in a heartbeat. Heinicke would have a market.
    Giants: Potential Change. They have Jones, but I doubt they wouldn't trade for anyone. Jones probably doesn't have much of a market

North:

Packers: Potential Change. Rodgers seems to have been backtracking a bit the last few weeks, but if his agent can secure greener pastures...
    Vikings: Set. Apparently they already decided to run it back with Cousins.
    Bears: Set.
    Lions: Potential Change. Only reason this is not more open is that the Lions are rebuilding and might be happy to keep Goff as a placeholder.

South:

Bucs: Open
    Saints: Open
    Falcons: Potential Change. Have to imagine that after last year's failure that the Falcons might be more open to moving Ryan and blowing it up.
    Panthers: Open

West:

Rams: Set
    Cards: Set (?) There was the social media hubbub in the last week, but you have to think that both sides will work towards keeping things going.
    Niners: Probable Change. The Niners will likely move Jimmy. But they also keep being linked to QBs that are not their high prized rookie.
    Seahawks: Potential Change. Both sides here have not been 100% happy, so who knows. Wilson obviously has a huge market.

Tally:

Set: 14 + Cards
    Potential: 9
    Probable: 2
    Open: 6

Quarterbacks:

Potential (10): Rodgers, Wilson, Tua, Matt Ryan, Baker Mayfield, Heinicke, Daniel Jones, Goff, Davis Mills, Jalen Hurts
    Probable (3): Jimmy G., Wentz, De'shaun Watson
    Open/FA (11): Darnold, Jameis Winston, Bridgewater, Andy Dalton, Fitzmagic, Cam Newton, Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett, Marcus Mariota, Flacco, Trubisky
    Draft (5): Kenny Picket, Pitt. Malik Willis, Liberty. Matt Corral, Mississippi. Sam Howell, North Carolina. Desmond Ridder. Cincy.

So 29 QBs, of which I marked 10 in blue that I think are guaranteed going to be expected to start or start soon. I also marked 8 in green that I think have at least potential to start and get you through the season or be expected to do so based on draft position.

That's 18 QBs.

There's 17 teams that are not set.

So even of my group of 18 marked QB's there's already going to be 1 that will have to accept that they share a spot with someone and have to fight or share time with a rookie (or are a rookie sharing time with a vet).

Then there's the inequality. Steelers have literally nobody and no attractive draft pick and not really any assets to trade. Eagles have attractive picks packages and Hurts. Lions have Goff and several picks. Some of these teams will potentially end up with more than 1 of the desirable QBs. Texans might trade Watson and get back Tua + draft picks, for a net zero, but a ton of movement.

I think the most interesting aspect is that players have seen Tom Brady and Matt Stafford seek a trade from their teams and win a Superbowl straight away. That HAS to give some of these QBs the idea that they might accomplish the same or that at least the potential for it is out there and make them more demanding to their existing teams.

We'll see how this shakes out over the next 4 weeks or so. Combine up next March 1st through 7th, then Tampering from the 14th of March and official Free Agency from the 16th. With the added week to the season, everything is now sped up and closer after the season ends.

Decision time is fast approaching.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't imagine the Falcons getting anything worthwhile for Matt Ryan. But i also would like to see him pull a Stafford and see what he can do on a better team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I can't imagine the Falcons getting anything worthwhile for Matt Ryan. But i also would like to see him pull a Stafford and see what he can do on a better team.
    I mean if not for ehrm, some team, he would be a Super Bowl champion already. He's a former MVP. He doesn't nearly have as much to prove as Stafford did.

Matt Ryan on the Broncos makes them instantly in contention for the playoffs.

Then again Aaron Rodgers on the Broncos and they are in contention for a Superbowl I think, so there's levels to him.

Most of the problem with Matt Ryan is his contract. He is on the books for 48M and the Falcons save only 8M by trading him. He would be attractive for his new team though cause he'd only cost them about 16M.

The Falcons probably ride this year out with him and then look to trade him next year when they can save 15M by trading him.

Or they extend him again and get even deeper in the hole with his contract. Hard to tell with the Falcons.

I wouldn't say right now if the Broncos would be contenders regardless of the QB. When your coaching staff consists of a 1st time HC, 3 first time coordinators, a bunch of inexperienced position coaches, they are just a complete mystery.

If you base it off last year though, any average QB makes them playoff contenders. 5 losses were Drew Lock games that he combined for 1 passing TD in. Only game he appeared in that was a win was against the Chargers when Bridgewater got hurt then came back in.

Speaking of Lock, the Saints can probably get him for free at this point if they run out of options.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for the Eagles there's probably a market for Minshew as well.

I think the Saints would go with Taysom before they go with Lock... already have crummy ex-Bronco QB covered with Trevor.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Speaking of Lock, the Saints can probably get him for free at this point if they run out of options.
    I mean he'd be on my short list of QBs I'd rather not see on the Saints.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the Eagles there's probably a market for Minshew as well.

I think the Saints would go with Taysom before they go with Lock... already have crummy ex-Bronco QB covered with Trevor.
    Yeah I'm in that boat, I'd rather run it back with Taysom before ever getting Lock on that roster.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if not for ehrm, some team, he would be a Super Bowl champion already.
    Yes, the Falcons. Hence Pend's comment =p
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good lord. Nice way to start the victory lap for Stafford.

He was being photographed by a professional photographer when she fell backwards off the platform. He glances her way, says something like "whoa!" and then just walks away. The photographer apparently fractured her spine in the fall.

Stafford's getting slammed by the media right now, passing around shots of him drinking before the incident. He's since offered to pay her medical bills.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    She has a go fund me I’m sure is making bank too
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Good lord. Nice way to start the victory lap for Stafford.

He was being photographed by a professional photographer when she fell backwards off the platform. He glances her way, says something like "whoa!" and then just walks away. The photographer apparently fractured her spine in the fall.

Stafford's getting slammed by the media right now, passing around shots of him drinking before the incident. He's since offered to pay her medical bills.

Eh, he was prob drunk. It’s fine. Not like he’s a doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    She has a go fund me I’m sure is making bank too
    Yeah, it's up to 44.5k/30k already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Eh, he was prob drunk. It’s fine. Not like he’s a doctor.
    Nobody's saying it's his fault or that he's liable.

Just that he's a dick.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I mean if not for ehrm, some team, he would be a Super Bowl champion already. He's a former MVP. He doesn't nearly have as much to prove as Stafford did.

Matt Ryan on the Broncos makes them instantly in contention for the playoffs.

Then again Aaron Rodgers on the Broncos and they are in contention for a Superbowl I think, so there's levels to him.

Most of the problem with Matt Ryan is his contract. He is on the books for 48M and the Falcons save only 8M by trading him. He would be attractive for his new team though cause he'd only cost them about 16M.

The Falcons probably ride this year out with him and then look to trade him next year when they can save 15M by trading him.

Or they extend him again and get even deeper in the hole with his contract. Hard to tell with the Falcons.
    I think there’s a feeling that you just get a good qb and your team will have success, but guys like Stafford and Ryan put the lie to that. Fine, neither guy is top tier, but their team performance has been significantly lacking despite above average qbs.

I guess what I’m getting at is, I know the nfl is a qb driven league, but the past two Super Bowls have suggested that if you build enough of a roster around the qb, you can add a decent one in and put yourself over the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there’s a feeling that you just get a good qb and your team will have success, but guys like Stafford and Ryan put the lie to that. Fine, neither guy is top tier, but their team performance has been significantly lacking despite above average qbs.

I guess what I’m getting at is, I know the nfl is a qb driven league, but the past two Super Bowls have suggested that if you build enough of a roster around the qb, you can add a decent one in and put yourself over the top.
    Trouble is that even for a team that is just a QB away, that it's hard to find a team willing to part with their decent QB. IF they do, there's almost always a significant cost of doing business associated with it.

And in the Rams case they had the added difficulty of having a QB they were paying a ton of money that they needed to get rid of in the process as well. They were extremely lucky to find a team in the Lions that was not only willing to part with their QB, but willing to take their garbage in the process. From the stories back then it sounded like that not only did the Lions trade him to the Rams, they did it BECAUSE Goff was coming back the other way. They seemed genuinely happy to have him.

Never fails to astound me just how much dumb teams can be taken advantage of in the right situation.

The past two SuperBowls QBs winners are Stafford/Brady or Brady/Mahomes. I'm not sure you'd call Brady and Mahomes just decent QBs. Tampa when Brady joined was really a good team. I'd argue you could have stuck Ryan, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford, Mahomes, Burrow, pick another first-rounder QB the past couple of years and you'd gotten a Superbowl.

Just a good Qb can't win it all. Ryan is really a good QB just the O-Line plays like turnstiles at a MARTA station.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    The past two SuperBowls QBs winners are Stafford/Brady or Brady/Mahomes. I'm not sure you'd call Brady and Mahomes just decent QBs. Tampa when Brady joined was really a good team. I'd argue you could have stuck Ryan, Brees, Rodgers, Stafford, Mahomes, Burrow, pick another first-rounder QB the past couple of years and you'd gotten a Superbowl.

Just a good Qb can't win it all. Ryan is really a good QB just the O-Line plays like turnstiles at a MARTA station.
    Agreed on all points... this is also an important part of Brady's legacy. Of the best qbs of his era (himself, Brees, and Peyton), Brady consistently had the best defensive play on his team. This is why the answer to the "was it Brady or Belicheck?"question is "duh, it was Brady AND Belicheck"!