Page 25 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Naa it worked that way before Shadowbringers and I miss it.
    You could only use Hingan style items in Shirogane, but the full housing packages that could be made in the FC workshop were usable in any District even in Stormblood and included Shriogane style homes. My FC house in Mist looked like a Shirogane castle WAY before Shadowbringers launched.

I agree the aesthetic overall is way too soft/feminine/dainty and it’s a bit cringe. That and the engine have been the main things making it harder to like for me.

I’ve still been playing it and I enjoy it, but it does have its down sides...

There’s a lot of “WTF” moments where I literally just can’t understand what they were thinking with the design decisions.

But there’s also a lot that impresses me.

Hopefully they take what’s great about FF14, remove all the cringe stuff and combine it with the gameplay and engine of FF7 remake to make FF17.

That could legit beat WOW. Hopefully that is already in development.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2021-05-20 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    Yeah I know, the off brand ones could always be used, like moogle, chocobo, shirogane castle. But now that Hingan is available everywhere it's all there is. Shirogane Castle was atleast expensive to make if I remember correctly so it wasn't nearly as rampant as now. Sorry I don't think I was clear just labelling it all Shirogane.
    Ah, gotcha.

Regardless, the didn't keep it from being all over the place in my housing district. So I didn't notice much of a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejiko View Post
    Character customization and model quality needs updating, the scales on an Au Ra for instance look awful up close,
    same with hair quality.
    I`d like to see far more options available, body size, ear size, nail colours so on.
    You can mod your character appearance, just don't go announcing it all over your server and you'll be fine. I have high res Au Ra scales, chopped my tail off, removed scales on my head and removed the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    So I love FF14. It is the first MMO since WoW to hold my interest beyond a few months. But it does have some serious issues that have become more apparent the longer I play the game imo. So what issues do you have with the game?

1. The inventory. I honestly find this to be absolutely unacceptable. You're expected to keep multiple sets of gear for all the jobs you have plus sets you like the appearance of because there's no appearances system like in WoW or GW2. Despite this the inventory feels extremely limiting and the only way to improve it is to buy retainers for a monthly fee. I'm definitely a hoarder, but I've never had inventory problems in WoW, SWTOR, or ESO, so this is definitely a FFXIV problem and not a me problem.

2. Hardcore/Midcore endgame content. So Savage and Ultimate raids are great. I think the game does have decent hardcore content. The issue I have is the X.1, X.3, and X.5 patches. These patches introduce a new Alliance Raid and sometimes a new Ultimate fight, but for Savage raiders you're basically left with 4 bosses every 7+ months. That's just not enough. I think they need to add Savage Alliance raids or something. Not everyone who does Savage necessarily wants to do Ultimates so there are just massive gaps in content for the midcore audience.

3. The amount of content. So we've gotten less content in each patch as time has gone on. The quality of that content has gone up in my opinion, but FFXIV has seen a boom in popularity with Stormblood and even more so with Shadowbringers, but I feel like we don't really see those extra resources funneled back into FFXIV. I'm not super upset about this one, but I would like to see my sub money go to FFXIV's development and right now I don't feel like that's the case all the time. It's also possible that it's more of a personnel issue which would explain an increase in quality but a decrease in quantity.

4. Homogenization. So this one is kinda iffy, because the homogenization has led to FFXIV having some of the best balance in the MMO genre, but I think certain roles like Tanks and Healers are too homogenized. All tanks have a 1,2,3 combo. All healers have 1 dot, 1 single target nuke, and 1 AOE nuke. I think if they want tanks and healers to be more focused on dps, then they need to have good dps rotations. Gunbreaker is solid in this regard.
    I have been playing for about 2 years now. I have all but abandoned WoW outside of a month or two for patches and clearing the new mythic raid. FFXIV fills every other void WoW doesn't.

1. You're right on the inventory, it really is insane. However, there is an Armoire and Glamour Chest you can shove 400+ additional items in. The two retainers you get for free give you 175 spaces each as well. I find that someone who has only played a few month has filled this up, (because it took me a year to), without SERIOUSLY ignoring bag maintenance. Sell some stuff, donate some stuff to Doma or your GC, desynth some things, use some stuff, throw some of it away, organize it. However, as you start to get more 80s, and several gear sets--many jobs use the SAME gear as others. As you start to do this, you'll realize there is a deeper problem to the inventory system outside of space. On another note; Glamour chest is the biggest offender--and needs some love.

2. I agree mostly. Savage and ultimates are unbelievably fun and immersive. There just isn't enough in that regard. However, its because FFXIV is different than most MMORPGs. There isn't a single end-game like there is in WoW--raiding and getting BiS. They do need more 4-8 player mid-core/hardcore content; outside of Deep Dungeons, Savages, and Extremes. However, those odd numbered patches bring more to the game than raiding. If you're playing FFXIV for one type of content, to be honest it isn't the game for you, or at the very least--listen to Yoship--unsub for a little while and come back. The director has given you permission to do so.

3. They've been reducing the amount of dungeons every expansion, because they were beefing up the quality. Unfortunately, a lot of that feels true, but with Shadowbringers it is in a weird spot--especially after Covid. Additionally, the director has been tasked with working on FF16 as well. Heck, even the sound composer did a patch from the hospital--with cancer after Chemo! They work their hardest, and give us enough. The quality has gone up--and to be fair, there is more content to this game than you can imagine. There are things I am finding to do... 2 years later.

4. The DPS classes are amazing at max level, with a couple exceptions for fun factor. Tanks and healers are another story. They don't want tanks/healers to have a dps rotation when they have to focus on more than that. The playerbase has pushed the envelope, by finding ways to push healer/tank dps--to the point where they are considered DPS jobs that soak busters and use oGCD heals. I don't know what way they want to go with design--but pushing rotations into healers even if they are 123 will lead to button bloat (especially as they provide for the raiders more oGCDs to fit in with how the player base themselves want to play the game). Tank DPS rotations are great--but to bring up GNB as a good rotation is laughable. Have you see the current rotation? LOOOL. They may add it, or do ability rotations set on one button like PvP, or push to ability bloat and make one button do 40 things. Currently, thought we'll have to see what they do in Endwalker.

The UI. After having used my custom UI on wow for ages, it's hard to get into another MMO that doesn't have addons, or at least ones that let me customize the UI to my liking. This may have changed since I last played, however.

Can't change PC parts while you have it installed via steam. I had to replace a CPU in my PC, and once I done that, it just wouldn't launch. Even reinstalling and stuff didn't help.

I didn't really understand the gear stats, but never made it to end game.

There were some other in game systems I didn't really understand too.

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf4Prez View Post
    I have been playing for about 2 years now. I have all but abandoned WoW outside of a month or two for patches and clearing the new mythic raid. FFXIV fills every other void WoW doesn't.

1. You're right on the inventory, it really is insane. However, there is an Armoire and Glamour Chest you can shove 400+ additional items in. The two retainers you get for free give you 175 spaces each as well. I find that someone who has only played a few month has filled this up, (because it took me a year to), without SERIOUSLY ignoring bag maintenance. Sell some stuff, donate some stuff to Doma or your GC, desynth some things, use some stuff, throw some of it away, organize it. However, as you start to get more 80s, and several gear sets--many jobs use the SAME gear as others. As you start to do this, you'll realize there is a deeper problem to the inventory system outside of space. On another note; Glamour chest is the biggest offender--and needs some love.

2. I agree mostly. Savage and ultimates are unbelievably fun and immersive. There just isn't enough in that regard. However, its because FFXIV is different than most MMORPGs. There isn't a single end-game like there is in WoW--raiding and getting BiS. They do need more 4-8 player mid-core/hardcore content; outside of Deep Dungeons, Savages, and Extremes. However, those odd numbered patches bring more to the game than raiding. If you're playing FFXIV for one type of content, to be honest it isn't the game for you, or at the very least--listen to Yoship--unsub for a little while and come back. The director has given you permission to do so.

3. They've been reducing the amount of dungeons every expansion, because they were beefing up the quality. Unfortunately, a lot of that feels true, but with Shadowbringers it is in a weird spot--especially after Covid. Additionally, the director has been tasked with working on FF16 as well. Heck, even the sound composer did a patch from the hospital--with cancer after Chemo! They work their hardest, and give us enough. The quality has gone up--and to be fair, there is more content to this game than you can imagine. There are things I am finding to do... 2 years later.

4. The DPS classes are amazing at max level, with a couple exceptions for fun factor. Tanks and healers are another story. They don't want tanks/healers to have a dps rotation when they have to focus on more than that. The playerbase has pushed the envelope, by finding ways to push healer/tank dps--to the point where they are considered DPS jobs that soak busters and use oGCD heals. I don't know what way they want to go with design--but pushing rotations into healers even if they are 123 will lead to button bloat (especially as they provide for the raiders more oGCDs to fit in with how the player base themselves want to play the game). Tank DPS rotations are great--but to bring up GNB as a good rotation is laughable. Have you see the current rotation? LOOOL. They may add it, or do ability rotations set on one button like PvP, or push to ability bloat and make one button do 40 things. Currently, thought we'll have to see what they do in Endwalker.
    I mean, to be 100% fair on your 4th point, tanks have very fleshed out rotations now minus DRK being sort of murdered. They re not dps lvls of complexity but if you play GNB or PLD at lvl 80 their rotations feel very nice and fluid.
    Especially PLD my god they ve done wonders with fleshing out this job. What started as a 1-2-3 spamming braindead job in ARR has turned into a very very nice flow of switching between physical and magical combo that is not hard to do but feels so rewarding when you optimize it in a fight. I never got this satisfaction playing a tank in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorp View Post
    The UI. After having used my custom UI on wow for ages, it's hard to get into another MMO that doesn't have addons, or at least ones that let me customize the UI to my liking. This may have changed since I last played, however.
    FFXIV has a built in feature to change the layout of the UI, and has had since ARR. Able to move and change the size and scaling of most, if not all, UI elements.

Can't change PC parts while you have it installed via steam. I had to replace a CPU in my PC, and once I done that, it just wouldn't launch. Even reinstalling and stuff didn't help.
    This sounds like a bug or something. The game shouldn't give a crap what PC parts you have. Did you look into it? What did you find out?

I didn't really understand the gear stats, but never made it to end game.
    Hovering over the gear stats in the character screen tells you what the stats do. Most of the time they really don't matter, because you just equip the piece of gear with the highest ilevel. There are some exceptions, having to do with HQ Crafted gear and overmelding, but that's really not something you NEED to worry about as only those with money coming out of their ears can do this consistently, so IMO it's absolutely not worth it unless you're a supreme min/maxer and in a progression guild and absolutely need every last stat you can get your hands on.

The only reason stats on gear are looked at is to determine which materia to slot into the piece, based on what stats the piece already has on it. Each piece of gear has a maximum number allowed for each stat, so if a piece of gear already has the maximum, or close to the maximum of a particular stat on it, you don't want to put a materia of that stat on that gear because it won't provide any benefit.

There were some other in game systems I didn't really understand too.
    The game doesn't do a very good job discussing anything but the very surface level stuff most of the time, and even that is lacking sometimes too. Which system in particular?

If you care enough to give it another try that is. No worries if you don't, the game is certainly not for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    FFXIV has a built in feature to change the layout of the UI, and has had since ARR. Able to move and change the size and scaling of most, if not all, UI elements.

This sounds like a bug or something. The game shouldn't give a crap what PC parts you have. Did you look into it? What did you find out?

Hovering over the gear stats in the character screen tells you what the stats do. Most of the time they really don't matter, because you just equip the piece of gear with the highest ilevel. There are some exceptions, having to do with HQ Crafted gear and overmelding, but that's really not something you NEED to worry about as only those with money coming out of their ears can do this consistently, so IMO it's absolutely not worth it unless you're a supreme min/maxer and in a progression guild and absolutely need every last stat you can get your hands on.

The only reason stats on gear are looked at is to determine which materia to slot into the piece, based on what stats the piece already has on it. Each piece of gear has a maximum number allowed for each stat, so if a piece of gear already has the maximum, or close to the maximum of a particular stat on it, you don't want to put a materia of that stat on that gear because it won't provide any benefit.

The game doesn't do a very good job discussing anything but the very surface level stuff most of the time, and even that is lacking sometimes too. Which system in particular?

If you care enough to give it another try that is. No worries if you don't, the game is certainly not for everybody.
    I know the default stuff can be adjusted, I however, don't like the look of the base one. Which is where addons come into play.
    I'd love to customize it more like my WoW one. However, addons weren't available last time I played.

I looked into it a bit, with the help of support, however they just asked me to do stuff I had already done, and nothing worked to fix it. We got to a point, they didn't have anymore things to even try, and the issue is still ongoing (I tried to reinstall a couple of weeks ago to play with some friends).

I didn't get too far, like level 20 something, but even then, the explanations for gear up to that point were confusing still.

I don't remember enough about it to remember, and I still can't launch the game because of the mentioned issue. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    I agree the aesthetic overall is way too soft/feminine/dainty and it’s a bit cringe. That and the engine have been the main things making it harder to like for me.

I’ve still been playing it and I enjoy it, but it does have its down sides...

There’s a lot of “WTF” moments where I literally just can’t understand what they were thinking with the design decisions.

But there’s also a lot that impresses me.

Hopefully they take what’s great about FF14, remove all the cringe stuff and combine it with the gameplay and engine of FF7 remake to make FF17.

That could legit beat WOW. Hopefully that is already in development.
    The aesthetic is probably the number one complaint in this thread if it’s tallied up. It’s way too soft, feminine and dainty. Like every adventurer just came out of a beauty salon and my character can’t raid til his nails are pressed and done properly lol

The combat ability delay and not feeling as fluid as WoW is a major gripe, but not being able to stand to look at the characters is another. I don’t understand how monster models can be so great but then character models are all pulled out of my little pony or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorp View Post
    I know the default stuff can be adjusted, I however, don't like the look of the base one. Which is where addons come into play.
    I'd love to customize it more like my WoW one. However, addons weren't available last time I played.
    Add-ons are still not allowed. And they've said a few times that they have no plans on changing that, unfortunately.

I looked into it a bit, with the help of support, however they just asked me to do stuff I had already done, and nothing worked to fix it. We got to a point, they didn't have anymore things to even try, and the issue is still ongoing (I tried to reinstall a couple of weeks ago to play with some friends).
    That's really unfortunate. Did you contact Steam support?

Did you buy the game? Or were you still on the free trial? As much as I know it would suck, you could make an account outside Steam and play that way if you wanted and if you aren't able to fix the issues with Steam.

I didn't get too far, like level 20 something, but even then, the explanations for gear up to that point were confusing still.
    There really aren't any explanations in-game for gear. You wear the highest ilevel piece you can get your hands on that your class can wear, that's it. The materia melding comes later, and isn't even required to do the core content of the game which is the MSQ related stuff. The ilevel of gear isn't affected by materia and a minimum ilevel is the only requirement that any MSQ stuff has once you reach level cap (along with the level requirement, of course)

I don't remember enough about it to remember, and I still can't launch the game because of the mentioned issue. :\
    That really sucks, I hope you find a fix or workaround for it soon, if you're still interested in playing.

For the striking of fear for being banned for addons, unless you are actively streaming with them on or using them as a hammer to bully other players -- you will rarely get banned for using them. Most of the mid-core/hardcore players use ACT plugins already. The RP community has been doing model modifications to better adapt clothing and character models for their needs. Hell, XIVLauncher exists and has a lot of QoL changes that make the normal launcher look extremely antiquated.

Its the same position FF14 has had with botting and crafting bots; they will actively ignore them until they actually cause community issues. Hell, the stereotype of everyone who is a top crafter having Miqotebot exists for a big reason -- and was very much well shown off during Ishgardian Restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    For the striking of fear for being banned for addons, unless you are actively streaming with them on or using them as a hammer to bully other players -- you will rarely get banned for using them. Most of the mid-core/hardcore players use ACT plugins already. The RP community has been doing model modifications to better adapt clothing and character models for their needs. Hell, XIVLauncher exists and has a lot of QoL changes that make the normal launcher look extremely antiquated.
    What this person is saying is a huge understatement. People have been reported with evidence for yeas and they are still unbanned for their botting. It's just not Square Enix's concern nor do they really ever seem to care. They just want people to play and only care about progression cheating and PVP cheating, it seems. And even with progression cheating it requires a huge uproar still.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    The aesthetic is probably the number one complaint in this thread if it’s tallied up. It’s way too soft, feminine and dainty. Like every adventurer just came out of a beauty salon and my character can’t raid til his nails are pressed and done properly lol
    Yeah but at that point you're blaming a JRPG for being a JRPG. It has been like that for like 40 years at least. It's like playing a Mortal Kombat game and complaining that it's too much gore xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    One thing I've noticed that's pretty hilarious is how often the FF14 reddit has threads just shitting on WoW. Like you need to talk shit about your last game to be accepted into the new community. I was reading one this afternoon just filled with completely false information and for the life of me I don't understand why its not ok to like both. It's been some time since I've been to the WoW reddit, but I doubt there is multiple posts a week about how wonderful WoW is over FF14.
    Tribalism

OT: my only real problems are FFXIV has strictly worse combat than WoW, and the variety of actually rewarding content as opposed to just grinding points is very small.

It's for weebs. I don't mind manga, but that game is really 100% made for weebs. Seeing a mini skirt cat girl taking quests from a child is really not for me.
    So the story and universe looks retarded, and 20 first levels are freaking boring story/gameplay/zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    Yeah but at that point you're blaming a JRPG for being a JRPG. It has been like that for like 40 years at least. It's like playing a Mortal Kombat game and complaining that it's too much gore xD
    Not to this extend. When I played the ff7 remake last year, sure it had the jrpg art style, but it’s standard

Ff14 isn’t even a jrpg graphics. It’s like jrpg meets pedo meets furry convention for characters. And there’s no real variety, no matter what you pick it’s a beauty queen. Hell, half the races I can’t tell male from female apart practically.

Ff14 goes way beyond the normal jrpg art style and ventures into a creepy art style that attracts weebs, pedos, furries, creeps, etc

I can stomach a jrpg art style. I grew up on them in the 90s, but when playing chrono trigger or ff3(6) I never had to wonder about a character by their appearance.

Ff14 has a divisive art style even for a jrpg

I can’t make Conan the barbarian, or any manly archetype in that game but I can look like a fabulous bunny man wearing women’s clothing (in the trailer no less)

Not to this extend. When I played the ff7 remake last year, sure it had the jrpg art style, but it’s standard

Ff14 isn’t even a jrpg graphics. It’s like jrpg meets pedo meets furry convention for characters. And there’s no real variety, no matter what you pick it’s a beauty queen. Hell, half the races I can’t tell male from female apart practically.

Ff14 goes way beyond the normal jrpg art style and ventures into a creepy art style that attracts weebs, pedos, furries, creeps, etc

I can stomach a jrpg art style. I grew up on them in the 90s, but when playing chrono trigger or ff3(6) I never had to wonder about a character by their appearance.

Ff14 has a divisive art style even for a jrpg

I can’t make Conan the barbarian, or any manly archetype in that game but I can look like a fabulous bunny man wearing women’s clothing (in the trailer no less)
    I'm not exactly sure how it meets pedo and furry convention standards. Using Chrono Trigger and FF6 as examples? Those were sprites; not even close to what constitutes "jprg style".

Quote Originally Posted by Velnora View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how it meets pedo and furry convention standards. Using Chrono Trigger and FF6 as examples? Those were sprites; not even close to what constitutes "jprg style".
    I also listed the ff7 remake, and if you want you could even list ff15

You know exactly what I mean. Every race is either a China doll, a cat or bunny person, or a child looking race

Who do you think that appeals to? And ff14 leans into it. They just had their bunny male race trailer and he’s wearing women’s clothing in the trailer ffs. It was practically made for furries

Even by jrpg standards, they went off the deep end with the aesthetics of characters. The monsters look great, but the characters look like it was designed with furries, pedos, weirdos, weebs, etc in mind and it’s hard to look at because of its divisive art style
    Last edited by justandulas; 2021-05-23 at 12:29 PM.

I also listed the ff7 remake, and if you want you could even list ff15

You know exactly what I mean. Every race is either a China doll, a cat or bunny person, or a child looking race

Who do you think that appeals to? And ff14 leans into it. They just had their bunny male race trailer and he’s wearing women’s clothing in the trailer ffs. It was practically made for furries

Even by jrpg standards, they went off the deep end with the aesthetics of characters. The monsters look great, but the characters look like it was designed with furries, pedos, weirdos, weebs, etc in mind and it’s hard to look at because of its divisive art style
    I'm not sure how the humans look like "china dolls". Child looking race? Like gnomes, lol. I don't know how you can make the argument for furries when you have WoW that has cows, pandas, and foxes.