Page 57 of 75 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I have this problem with downloading FFXIV. I also have massive problems downloading WoW whenever I've reinstalled it. So it's not just a SE thing, Blizzard has issues with their downloader as well. I'm never surprised when something with computers doesn't work right, they're extremely complicated and they can't anticipate every configuration a player may have.
    That definitely sounds like a problem with your ISP or your computer or router. Have you tried using different hardware to see if you get the same result?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It's not really active mitigation. Fights are *rigidly* scripted and you will hit one (sometimes more than one) of your "take less damage" buttons at that time.
    I thought that it was. Raw Intuition for a Warrior for example feels a lot like Iron Fur for a druid. What's active mitigation then? I feel like I've maybe misunderstood the term.

5+ Year Old Account
    The thing that I couldn't get into is the Questing and XP Gain. It's not just FF14 when it comes to this. There are multiple games that I feel had this same issue, and because of it I couldn't get into the game.

Nope, it's none of those things. My wife, whose computer is in the same room as mine on the same router with the same specs (different SSDs are the only difference between our rigs), does not have these issues at all. And these are known issues from both games, workarounds are listed online. I actually have more trouble getting WoW to install than FFXIV. Genshin Impact was the worst install experience I've had of any game. And everything else works just fine.
    You may have to reinstall your operating system then. Of course there could still be a hardware problem and some component is faulty but the next logical step would be to try a clean install.
    If two identical computers are having different results then it's probably something wrong with one of them.

One thing I recall from when I last played FFXIV that I found annoying was the way the market/auction house worked. Mainly the UI, etc. It struck me as very clunky and hard to use compared to say WoW or EVE Online. That would seem to work against having a vibrant player economy.

>Im level 70
    >I have level 70 currency
    >Cant buy lvl 70 gear because i need to finish the stormblood storyline and wich point i'll probably be lvl 80 making the gear unnecesary since i can just farm lvl 80 dungeons

Really dumb desing IMO

When playing FF14, I die inside a bit.

COmplete quest A...run all the way back to that city 15 cities over. And then Run 15 cities over a different way. Like please just kill me, who thought that was a good idea.

Being bound to the PS3 which resulted in severely limited locales/graphics for a long, long time.

Even now there are still remnants of those limitations, yeah yeah the japanese market and all, but it's pretty safe to say if FFXIV were PC centric it had a very solid chance of replacing WoW way back during heavensward.

But stuff like inventory/storage, skills, UI all being held back by the ps3 just made it feel off compared to what the western market was used to in MMOs in terms of functionality/features.

It has done strides since then, and i'll pick up endwalker no doubt, but the lingering thought of what could have been had it not been limited will always remain.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Honestly, XIV has probably the worst tank and healer design I've seen of any of the handful of MMOs I've played. Supposedly DPS classes are fun to play, but I'm not a fan of needing a fucking tea tray to play a game, so I stuck to the "fewer buttons" classes. My level 34 Warrior in TBCC is more dynamic than my level 80 BiS Warrior in XIV, which is absurd.
    For my money I think ESO will always reign supreme as the worst tank/healer design in any popular MMO, but yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    One thing I recall from when I last played FFXIV that I found annoying was the way the market/auction house worked. Mainly the UI, etc. It struck me as very clunky and hard to use compared to say WoW or EVE Online. That would seem to work against having a vibrant player economy.
    Well, the nice thing is that gil is functionally meaningless, so it's not a big deal if it's a pain in the ass to trade items for it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I never said when I drop Doton. That's just you making assumptions and invalidating your opinion on player toxicity. I merely listed my grievances against tanks in no particular order. It doesn't matter if there are two mobs or two dozen. 9 out of 10 tanks run away from Doton, and I'm not even the only one to suffer from this. Thanks have an innate talent to make it useless. It's not related to pull size, but it is still something that irritates me as a DPS and what I try to pay attention to when I tank.
    What's this about invalidating my opinion on toxicity? I apologize if you felt attacked. That was not my intent. There are only 2 possible outcomes here. You either drop Doton at the correct time (once all adds are grouped) or you don't. Your phrasing indicated tanks running away (tanks don't run away unless they're pulling more mobs, they may move out of AOEs, but I wouldn't use "running away" to describe that) so it wasn't a stab at your skill level, merely your own description of events.

I think you're complaining that Tanks move mobs out (most tanks, like most players aren't terribly good at the game so that's genuinely no surprise) of Doton and it irks you, but that's not on you, that's on them and we're in agreement there.

As a tank, I will do my absolute best to keep 12 enemies with really wonky hitboxes and horrible netcode overlapped as tightly as possible so that Doton hits as many of them as possible, but that's the most we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSoBreezy View Post
    I'm producing a series where I both appreciate and critique XIV from a WoW player's perspective. But as for problems, just hit 80 with the first and only job I want to level (PLD) and I feel really unhappy that the gameplay sums up to "I'm a DPSer who has the aggro." I don't 'feel' like a tank like I do in WoW.
    To be fair, this is my favorite part of tanking in FF14. I WISH I had more tank like moves and a significantly more dynamic and robust toolkit, but I think positionals are the worst so I love being able to basically be a melee DPS. I miss the days when tanks could regularly out DPS other decent DPS, but certain people didn't like that expectation so they gutted our DPS, and then raised the base floor of all DPS on top of it to make it impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Don't want to be rude, but if that is literally all you do I'm surprised you got to 80. Healers probably cursed your entire family if you didn't manage your defensive cooldowns or never had tank stance on. Sure, you don't have tank rotation anymore that is used to build up aggro even more, but defensive cooldowns and threat management are important if you don't want your groups to hate you.
    Threat management is non-existent as a tank, even in savage. Defensive cooldowns are binary in any full party content in that it's designed specifically with tank CDs in mind. In light party content they're relatively useless on bosses, but tremendously valuable on wall to wall pulls.

Tanking in this game is so mindnumbingly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    I thought that it was. Raw Intuition for a Warrior for example feels a lot like Iron Fur for a druid. What's active mitigation then? I feel like I've maybe misunderstood the term.
    It's not your fault. The term active mitigation has over the years meant 2 LITERALLY opposite things in the same genre.

Back in the day active mitigation meant you had to actively manage your mitigation on a decision by decision basis i.e. rotationally. However, the modern term (accurately as per Devs) means to activate your mitigation (thus press a single CD).

Most tank players REALLY preferred a more active play pattern, something the modern iteration of tanking in FF14 does a horrible job making fun.

Are you not using the Aetherytes? I find this aspect of FFXIV vastly superior and more immersive than WoW's system. I get that some people don't care for teleportation, but IMO it gives the world a feeling of size.
    That's peculiar. I love the convenience of teleporting, but to me it does the literal opposite with respect to immersion or size. Flying from Stranglethorn to Ironforge gives me a sense of immersion and scale that FF14 can't compete with as I cross over various locales, NPCs and environments.

You think teleporting from the first shard to your house is more immersive of a large world than actually seeing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    For my money I think ESO will always reign supreme as the worst tank/healer design in any popular MMO, but yeah.
    Oh dear fucking god you're right. ESO has atrocious tank/healer design.

No addons. The base UI for frames could be better, and not being able to design a proper HUD a la weakauras really limits the game's potential.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Oh dear fucking god you're right. ESO has atrocious tank/healer design.
    Well the combat overall is atrocious in ESO which is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    That's peculiar. I love the convenience of teleporting, but to me it does the literal opposite with respect to immersion or size. Flying from Stranglethorn to Ironforge gives me a sense of immersion and scale that FF14 can't compete with as I cross over various locales, NPCs and environments.

You think teleporting from the first shard to your house is more immersive of a large world than actually seeing it?
    I think that has more with how the world map works and the instancing of zones. A requirement for console compability of course but it still makes it really hard to get a feel for the size of the world.
    I've still not after 5 years of playing the game gotten the hand of navigating the world map, there's a chance that I never will.

Another thing that bugs me, the fact that zones all have loading screens, granted with a fast SSD they are only 2-3 seconds at most, but I do prefer a seamless world without loading screens over loading screens between zones, even if they are very short loading screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    Another thing that bugs me, the fact that zones all have loading screens, granted with a fast SSD they are only 2-3 seconds at most, but I do prefer a seamless world without loading screens over loading screens between zones, even if they are very short loading screens.
    I don't even have the game on an SSD and I never wait more than a couple seconds transitioning between zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    That's due to the console support. ESO was built the same way for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That's due to the console support. ESO was built the same way for the same reason.
    I suppose it makes sense then, its not enough to make me not want to play the game, it just does take away from the whole open feeling of the world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    No they aren’t. Neither is my au’ra

No amount of character creation can fix the limitations of the character designs. No matter what you pick, it’s soft dainty and looks more like they are preparing for a big prom date and not a monster hunt. A bulky chest or height is not the only requirement for a manly, gritty look. I’d prefer to make solid snake, not garter snake

You honestly can’t tell half the male and females players apart in game when it should be noticeable from 100m out.

I want a darker, more mature aesthetic. Not toons who look like we skipped high school prom to raid
    It's odd that I find only a few people who claim they can't make a manly man. Plenty of my friends are perfectly happy with how rugged, bulky, gritty, dirty, etc. their FF character is. You can literally put dirt on your character's face in the character customization menu, and there's very torn up looking armor or tribalistic stuff, and lots of really dark souls looking plate with torn cloth ans nd notched and dented plate.

WoW you can't even put that same dirt on your character's face, and most characters look impeccably clean. I think many WoW players have just been playing WoW so long that the fantasy of what they think their character looks like is stuck in their head, when in reality WoW's style is incredibly colorful and cartoonish.

I get it, you might just like the WoW aesthetic more. But to say you can't make a bulky, rugged, buff, machismo man in FFXIV is objectively wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    He really does and its hilarious that they are so offended and argue against it. Between the hair highlights, the painted on eyebrows, the facial hair that doesn't even look like he can grow properly, the earings, the skinny jeans, the hand on the hip, or the outfit ripped out of Stewie Griffin's dreams.

I can't imagine why anyone would think that looked feminine.... /sarcasm
    Hot take: There's a 99% chance that you have more feminine features than the character in that picture.

Taking care of your facial appearance, hair, bathing, etc. is not a "feminine" thing. That's a thing people do. If your idea of masculine is to have 500 facial scars, dirt and blood all over your face, hair filled with lice and maggots, and muscles the size of a rhino, then you have an incredibly warped perception of what "masculine" is.

But I think we've identified the problem. Even if a man is really buff, the mere fact that he appears neat and tidy is apparently "feminine". So this begs the question, when was the last time you shaved? Took a shower? Cut your hair? Picked clothes that looked good on you and weren't just bland nothing clothes that every dude with zero fashion sense wears?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    What's this about invalidating my opinion on toxicity? I apologize if you felt attacked. That was not my intent. There are only 2 possible outcomes here. You either drop Doton at the correct time (once all adds are grouped) or you don't. Your phrasing indicated tanks running away (tanks don't run away unless they're pulling more mobs, they may move out of AOEs, but I wouldn't use "running away" to describe that) so it wasn't a stab at your skill level, merely your own description of events.

I think you're complaining that Tanks move mobs out (most tanks, like most players aren't terribly good at the game so that's genuinely no surprise) of Doton and it irks you, but that's not on you, that's on them and we're in agreement there.
    Yeah I guess I wasn't the clearest I could. So I apologize as well. I used run away because they move out of doton so quickly as if it was a danger to them. I would say avoiding it like the plague, but...recent events show what that is like.

Now I identify as a bad tank. I don't think I am any good at it. But most of my problems with tanks is more like an empathy problem.