10+ Year Old Account

I came back to FFXIV

Hey everyone, I am finally thinking of quitting WoW (or making it my alt mmo for now tbh).

I played FFXIV from launch up to the start of Stormblood then I quit but now I am coming back and got the shadowbringer expansion. My Dragoon is still level 60 though so in general what Shadowbringer expansion brought into the table for the game so far? aside from storyline of course. And what are your recommendation for players like me who came back please?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    so in general what Shadowbringer expansion brought into the table for the game so far? aside from storyline of course.
    Nothing. Every expansion is a copy of Heavensward formula.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    I'm a newish FF14 player (Just got to Heavensward) that's been lurking these forums for a while and I have to ask:

Is your only purpose to show up in every single FF14 thread to attack the game? That seems to be your entire purpose on this subforum.

I mean, at this point I've gone back through probably 2-3 pages of your post and a good 80% of them are you just attacking the game, attacking people praising the game, attacking people defending the game, or attacking people pushing back against your toxicity.

Do you not have anything better to do? If you dislike the game that's fine, but stop coming into threads where people are asking questions just to spread toxicity because some people are also curious to questions in them.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-03 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    I'm a newish FF14 player (Just got to Heavensward) that's been lurking these forums for a while and I have to ask:

Is your only purpose to show up in every single FF14 thread to attack the game? That seems to be your entire purpose on this subforum.

I mean, at this point I've gone back through probably 2-3 pages of your post and a good 80% of them are you just attacking the game, attacking people praising the game, attacking people defending the game, or attacking people pushing back against your toxicity.

Do you not have anything better to do? If you dislike the game that's fine, but stop coming into threads where people are asking questions just to spread toxicity because some people are also curious to questions in them.
    Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Is your only purpose to show up in every single FF14 thread to attack the game? That seems to be your entire purpose on this subforum. Do you not have anything better to do?

First of all, I'd like to see a proof of me personally attacking someone for their opinion. You don't just call someone toxic when all I'm doing is disagreeing with 'positive' posters here.
    Do you ask every FFXIV's preacher if they have better things to do other than repeating how amazing community is and how everyone should play brilliant FFXIV with free trial that includes critically acclaimed Heavensward expansion? People spout all kinds of things here, I either disprove it with public data or question if what they say is actually true. That's called discussion, if you want relentless praising, you'll find more on heavily moderated official forums and subreddit.
    Looking for Raid.

Do you ask every FFXIV's preacher if they have better things to do other than repeating how amazing community is and how everyone should play brilliant FFXIV with free trial that includes critically acclaimed Heavensward expansion?
    I'm talking about on this forum, where the thing you seem to be raging against isn't actually happening. What does seem to be happening is that you show up in any thread where people are talking positively, or even neutrally, about the game to just attack it and everyone involved.

First of all, I'd like to see a proof of me personally attacking someone for their opinion. You don't just call someone toxic when all I'm doing is disagreeing with 'positive' posters here.
    You have posts doing things as just calling stuff ugly, offering no actual criticism other than subjective toxicity, telling people nothing has changed (As you have in this thread, which even as someone who just went to Heavensward can tell isn't true), apparently spoiling finales from future expansions in a thread for people coming from WoW and presumably are new (I'm glad someone else responded to that post saying it was a huge spoiler before I clicked it), attacking the game for the way it handles flying while simultaneously praising WoW's way of doing it, which is crazy to me.

And that was all within the first page. If you hate the game and just want to spread hate, then more power to you. But stop pretending you're "disproving" anything when you're just attacking people being positive about a game that you apparently do not like.

One of your posts claims you haven't played WoW since 2017 but your posting history seems to very much indicate you're just a WoW players hating on everybody and everything regarding FF14 out some kind of weird jealousy or some other deep-seated issue you should take up with somebody off the internet. Or, if not, then someone so indistinguishable from them that perhaps you should do the same regardless.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-03 at 08:14 PM.

I'm talking about on this forum, where the thing you seem to be raging against isn't actually happening. What does seem to be happening is that you show up in any thread where people are talking positively, or even neutrally, about the game to just attack it and everyone involved.
    I won't reply to you anymore until you provide a proof of me attacking someone for their opinion.
    Looking for Raid.

You have posts doing things as just calling stuff ugly, offering no actual criticism other than subjective toxicity, telling people nothing has changed (As you have in this thread, which even as someone who just went to Heavensward can tell isn't true), apparently spoiling finales from future expansions in a thread for people coming from WoW and presumably are new (I'm glad someone else responded to that post saying it was a huge spoiler before I clicked it), attacking the game for the way it handles flying while simultaneously praising WoW's way of doing it, which is crazy to me.

And that was all within the first page. If you hate the game and just want to spread hate, then more power to you. But stop pretending you're "disproving" anything when you're just attacking people being positive about a game that you apparently do not like.

One of your posts claims you haven't played WoW since 2017 but your posting history seems to very much indicate you're just a WoW players hating on everybody and everything regarding FF14 out some kind of weird jealousy or some other deep seeded issue you should take up with somebody off the internet.
    he is just a sad troll. you gotta just ignore. its all the dude does. he literally just argues, nothing else, with every post he makes.

So you have no idea of what actual toxicity is, got it. All I need to show about ugly graphics is this gem from the latest expansion.

offering no actual criticism other than subjective toxicity
    I've posted plenty of actual criticism here, do you think I need to repeat it in every single post to keep everyone updated?
    telling people nothing has changed (As you have in this thread, which even as someone who just went to Heavensward can tell isn't true)
    So you can't tell if something I said is true, but already sure that I'm wrong. Sounds like you are biased and toxic.
    apparently spoiling finales from future expansions in a thread for people coming from WoW and presumably are new (I'm glad someone else responded to that post saying it was a huge spoiler before I clicked it)
    Out of context scene with death of final boss that doesn't even look his normal form can't be considered spoiler.
    attacking the game for the way it handles flying while simultaneously praising WoW's way of doing it, which is crazy to me.
    First of all, I don't like flying in MMOs in general, because I think it kills ground content. And I didn't praise WoW, I actually said that FFXIV has less hoops to jump through, the problem is with unlocking mount speed upgrade, which involves grinding repetetive content for several hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    he is just a sad troll. you gotta just ignore. its all the dude does. he literally just argues, nothing else, with every post he makes.
    Wow, calling people "sad trolls" for different opinion, sounds pretty toxic to me. Mind telling your character name, so I can report you to SE?
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted this topic to ask for recommendation from FFXIV veterans players because I quit the game when StormBlood released, and this is what I got....I should have known mmo champ....god damn it...

I posted this topic to ask for recommendation from FFXIV veterans players because I quit the game when StormBlood released, and this is what I got....I should have known mmo champ....god damn it...
    I held off from answering initially because I haven't really played much of Shadowbringers beyond the release, but since you haven't gotten any other useful responses....

Whether he meant it as an attack or not, I do think there is truth to the statement that the Heavensward formula has been brought forward. I don't think this is a bad thing, but the general format of the game in terms of what you do hasn't changed much.

*Main Story Quest to level, along with side quests and the like.
    *A set of regular raids and a set of Alliance Raids
    *New dungeons added with patches that drop higher level gear
    *Tomestones as your primary currency

That doesn't mean nothing has changed, just that the general format and approach to the game is one you'll be familiar with if you played up to Stormblood. They found a formula they and their fans like, and they're sticking to it. There are new classes, rebalanced abilities and systems, etc.

With all of that said, I thought the story of Shadowbringers was absolutely fantastic, and I loved the new zones. Crafting abilities got revamped, but it didn't really change the feel of crafting all that much to me.... it's easier to get into now, but I was pretty heavily into crafting when I played so that didn't really apply to me. They mostly dropped individual class quests in favor of role-based quests (no Paladin or Warrior questline in ShB, but there is a Tank questline), but the approach made sense given the story and setting and I enjoyed them as well so it worked out... and there was one new quest for each class at max level so the class stories weren't ignored completely.

I stopped playing mostly because I got tired of the endgame grind. It was very much the same sort of grind they had in SB and HW, and I'm just not as much into that sort of endgame grind these days. I plan on getting back into the game in the near future because I want to see the Endwalker expansion, but I probably won't play that much beyond the first patch either.

If you enjoyed Heavensward and want new content, you'll probably love Shadowbringers. If you quit because you were tired of the game completely and are hoping they've re-invented the game in Shadowbringers, you may be disappointed; there are new systems, but the basic game is still very much what it was before. If you enjoy the story of FFXIV, it's worth playing through ShB at least once.

I haven't played any of the newer patches of Shadowbringers, so I can't speak to the Alliance Raid, the new relic weapons, the new crafting event/quest in Ishgard, etc.

you literaly started world war 3,i hope you are proud!!

what are your recommendation for players like me who came back please?
    If you're here for a long running JRPG story, you might want to start over on a new character (or if you are attached to your current character, use the NG+ feature to quickly rerun the MSQ, no need to bother with the levelling or gearing process) to get a refresher on the story and get attached to the characters again. When you finally get all caught up to patch 5.55, the latest installment in the story (next story update isn't until November), and you still want more, then I'd suggest checking out the Trails series as it has similar longform JRPG storytelling.

If you're here for an alternative to WoW as an MMO, then honestly there isn't much to do. There are three mythic difficulty raids in the game thus far (called "Ultimates"). Other than that, the only real MMO stuff to do is to collect transmogs/glamours, and maybe try to get a house.

Well, looking at what he said...

He's right. Stormblood and Shadowbringers bring no new innovations to the table. They're literally just more content in the HW model. WoW expansions at least try to innovate with stuff like flex raiding, garrisons, Legion artifacts, class order halls, Azerite armor, Covenants, etc.

The only real innovation that Shadowbringers does are Trusts (aka AI party members), but the system was sorta botched because you can only real do the Trusts once during your first playthrough of a dungeon. If you want to use them in that dungeon again, then you have to spend a couple dozen hours level grinding them up to meet the entry requirements.

So you have no idea of what actual toxicity is, got it. All I need to show about ugly graphics is this gem from the latest expansion.
    IIRC the reason why you get such insane compression the Exarch and Hien's models is because of how FFXIV handles color compression its textures. There was a more indepth explanation that I thought I had saved but I can't find it ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    He's right. Stormblood and Shadowbringers bring no new innovations to the table. They're literally just more content in the HW model. WoW expansions at least try to innovate with stuff like flex raiding, garrisons, Legion artifacts, class order halls, Azerite armor, Covenants, etc.
    So it's a negative because the game isn't constantly introducing new features and systems that usually at least half the playerbase hates?

Every single thing you listed except for Flex Raiding had a significant number of people dislike those features.

Wow, calling people "sad trolls" for different opinion, sounds pretty toxic to me. Mind telling your character name, so I can report you to SE?
    Aha, I see now. You're one of those people who lost their ever loving minds that people can't just be toxic scumbags in the game and go unpunished like WoW.

You should have led with that.
    Last edited by Drindorai; 2021-07-04 at 01:17 AM.

So it's a negative because the game isn't constantly introducing new features and systems that usually at least half the playerbase hates?
    I don't think anyone said that the lack of innovation was a negative. The OP asked if the game had changed significantly since HW, and the answer is no. It's pretty much the same game since HW.

Aha, I see now. You're one of those people who lost their ever loving minds that people can't just be toxic scumbags in the game and go unpunished like WoW.

You should have led with that.
    You've exceeded Mr Fantastic's level of reaching at this point.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're here for a long running JRPG story, you might want to start over on a new character (or if you are attached to your current character, use the NG+ feature to quickly rerun the MSQ, no need to bother with the levelling or gearing process) to get a refresher on the story and get attached to the characters again. When you finally get all caught up to patch 5.55, the latest installment in the story (next story update isn't until November), and you still want more, then I'd suggest checking out the Trails series as it has similar longform JRPG storytelling.

If you're here for an alternative to WoW as an MMO, then honestly there isn't much to do. There are three mythic difficulty raids in the game thus far (called "Ultimates"). Other than that, the only real MMO stuff to do is to collect transmogs/glamours, and maybe try to get a house.

Yeah I love JRPGS always been fan of them since the 80s! and yeah I do play the Trails series! so I am having a blask now in FFXIV!

Yeah the glamour and the hunting log thingy are one of the main reasons why I am back into the game other than the obvious story and characters of course.
    Last edited by Velshin; 2021-07-04 at 11:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone said that the lack of innovation was a negative. The OP asked if the game had changed significantly since HW, and the answer is no. It's pretty much the same game since HW.
    Personally i think it's a double edged sword:

If you don't like HW and its formula, yeah, you wont like the next 2 expansions, and there is no shiny NEW feature like WoW does every xpac (though to be honest the island for Endwalker seems more like a new feature)

On the other hand: Some of the new features of WoW weren't thought out. I think they had more misses than hits. On top of that many of the new features (even the working ones) just get abandoned, which always bugged me.

While one may miss innovation, it has one advantage: Currency system, Upgrade system stay the same for a long time. I don't need to relearn with every patch what valor/justice is and how to use them.

Mixed bag to be honest, but i like the more conservative approach.