Poll: Dog person or cat person?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Both.

Currently I have neither but growing up my mother made it a goal to have pets in our family. She taught me at a young age that, despite how "different" cats are from dogs (that they are MEAN), domesticated cats have been around partnered around humans for almost as long as dogs have in history.

Both. I currently have 3 cats, one is just 5 weeks old, I took her in when she was 2 weeks old.

I prefer having cats because they do not require walks and going outside to use the bathroom but I do love dogs and I still miss my dog that we had to put to sleep in 2011.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Dogs. We have a pair of Glen of Imaal Terriers that are just two years old. They're Irish working terriers that were used to root out badgers so they're bigger than they look in pictures and top out around 45 pounds. Loyal, really good with our one year old, and a little less stubborn than most terriers. Big expense is we get them hand stripped to keep their wire coats.

They also do this adorable thing called a "glenny sit." Note: not either of my dogs, just an example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personality wise, I am a cat person... I don’t have a preference for pets... loved all my cats and dogs... hated the birds... fucking creepy bastards. The fish were alright... didn’t really care...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Dogs, because they are loyal and will easily lay down their life for their owner.

Cats on the other hand don't give a fuck.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    The whole pack behavior is why I like dogs less. It feels less genuine to me. Like "they have to", if that makes sense.

Where as with cats (and humans too), their affection feels more "earned", and all the more precious.

I'm a cat person for sure, but dogs can be okay too. I very much prefer being able to let the cat go outside as well, though.
    Yes, this nails it exactly. "Loyalty" given for the sake of it, to whoever happens to be there, is not loyalty. That's obedience to whoever they see as the "pack leader". Cats are VERY loyal, but you have to earn it, which is how it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Dogs, because they are loyal and will easily lay down their life for their owner.

Cats on the other hand don't give a fuck.
    BS.

Dogs are the best.

The one that doesnt bark all day at every noise and whim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don’t think that’s loyalty as much as it is territorial—cats are actually quite territorial.

The first video, in particular, to me, doesn’t show a cat coming to the toddlers’ rescue, defending the boy against the dog—it looks like a cat defending its territory that the boy was in.

It’s why you’ll see videos of cats going up against bears and other animals much larger than them.
    Cats are not "quite" territorial. They are extremely territorial.

I don’t think that’s loyalty as much as it is territorial—cats are actually quite territorial.

The first video, in particular, to me, doesn’t show a cat coming to the toddlers’ rescue, defending the boy against the dog—it looks like a cat defending its territory that the boy was in.

It’s why you’ll see videos of cats going up against bears and other animals much larger than them.
    Gee, it's the word of Winter Blossom versus the word of animal behavioralists, and it's not like you have a stellar track record of being correct about the things you talk about, I wonder who to believe.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Yeah, one time our neighbors’ puppy squeezed through our fence and got into our backyard, and our cat saw it and instantly darted towards the poor thing, hissing and striking at it. Dude was all puffed up ready to throw down.
    They also have all their escape routes planned out in advance lol.

Thats why your cat will randomly dash through your window you leave open all the time. And feel safe around their humans inside.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Gee, it's the word of Winter Blossom versus the word of animal behavioralists, and it's not like you have a stellar track record of being correct about the things you talk about, I wonder who to believe.
    It can be both. It doesnt have to be one or the other.

Cats are extremely territorial and that is a fact

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    It can be both. It doesnt have to be one or the other.

Cats are extremely territorial and that is a fact
    I didn't say cats aren't territorial, I researched enough on the subject to know this. But they are very loyal creatures to those they bond with, and it sucks when the disingenuous talk about things like "those cats are just being territorial and not protective and loyal to their companions" with no self-awareness of their own ignorance of the subject. And almost every subject that came before this.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

I didn't say cats aren't territorial, I researched enough on the subject to know this. But they are very loyal creatures to those they bond with, and it sucks when the disingenuous talk about things like "those cats are just being territorial and not protective and loyal to their companions" with no self-awareness of their own ignorance of the subject. And almost every subject that came before this.
    Well cats are like humans, its silly to group them together and collectively judge them, Every cat is different with its own personality.

Bravery seems to be a common thread though when they are smart enough to normally just run away, but if cornered they will literally try fight off a bear

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Well cats are like humans, its silly to group them together and collectively judge them, Every cat is different with its own personality.

Bravery seems to be a common thread though when they are smart enough to normally just run away, but if cornered they will literally try fight off a bear
    I mean, there are so many videos and accounts of cats warning their humans of fire in their house, or warning parents that their babies are in danger of suffocating due to blankets etc - scenarios where there isn't an overt invader that "it's just territorial behavior" can only come from sheer ignorance.

I mean, there are so many videos and accounts of cats warning their humans of fire in their house, or warning parents that their babies are in danger of suffocating due to blankets etc - scenarios where there isn't an overt invader that "it's just territorial behavior" can only come from sheer ignorance.
    yeah some cats can be motherly. Thats what I was saying...

10+ Year Old Account
    Dogs, but I like cats too.

People who do not like dogs are terrible people. I use it as a litmus test all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both, because Jerry Falwell was wrong. Dogs and cats can live together.

I love it. I’ve gotten so used to having my dogs following me around everywhere. But you know, my cat will sometimes do it as well. Like I’ll go to the bathroom and both dogs and the cat will follow me in there. I never have privacy.

Though, I’m not sure if my cat is just following the gang or if he’s interested in the water. Cause anytime I wash my hands or use the shower, he’s sitting there watching.... creepily.
    Cats love flowing water! Mine will jump on the counter while I’m on the toilette and meow at me to turn on the faucet so she can drink. Even before she started doing that I closed the bathroom door and she freaked out at being left outside.

I’m more of a dog person but ended up with a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfailz View Post

Image: Cute adorable puppies.

Image: Evil cat.

Are you a dog person or cat person? Do you like dogs or cats?

I know I am a dog person. I favor dogs more than cats. Mainly because I grew up with one. Dogs are Man's Best Friends. You can go to Youtube.com and search for "dog sits by man's grave" because dogs really are Man's Best Friends. They really do have feelings and really show their feelings to you. Where as cats is kinda hard to tell. Of course, they do show their feelings by rubbing their hair all over your leg and then you having to get all that cat hair off with a lint roller. Cats are just annoying. All they do is lick themselves all day. Because that's what cats do. Cats love being clean and can't stand being dirty. But I guess that is one thing they have going for them: Cats are clean. Cats are cleaner than dogs. In that way. Back to dogs though. You can teach a dog many tricks: Sit, Roll over, Play dead, Play fetch, and so on! What can you do with a cat? Just teach him how to poop in one of those kitty litters. Cats are animalistic by instinct. A cat will turn on you and scratch your eye out when you're not careful.

This is why I am a dog person.
    If you want to be worshiped like a god, get a dog. If you want to worship a god, get a cat. To each their own, both are awesome!

I like them both. However, we only have two cats right now and no dogs. I am just not keen on picking up dog poos off my property. Too much work.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cats are better for lazy people dogs are better for active people.