Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    Also the "forced labor or poverty" argument does not fly, because you know in my country you're entirely able to decide not to work and you'll be supplied with a basic income by the government as part of a very widespread social safety net. You'll get assigned an apartment or house, you get a basic income which is about the same you'd earn as doing a minimum wage job after taxes and your bills get paid too (gas, water, electricity, internet, phoneline) + a whole lot of other options you can take advantage off: extra food supplies, school supplies for kids, etc. -yet- still there are plenty of people here willingly throwing themselves at minimum wage jobs or jobs worse than that.
    None of which applies to US society. But it does explain the amazing display of ignorance. Here in the US it no longer matters how hard you work. If you're born in the ghetto/poverty, your best options to get out; join the military; get involved with organized crime, which can lead to jail time...or death; get damn lucky. None of these are the more ideal of getting a good education since the bills have to be paid somehow...by you. Not the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Yas-Queen Rochana View Post
    It applies to US society too, because humans are humans - and the fact that humans in a society where there is an option of semi-UBI if you're below a certain income line - but they still in droves throw themselves at shitty jobs - shows that it's not a choice between "shitty job or starving". There is something else going on in the psyche of humans there.
    Wtf is this "ubi"?

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    Sure, I even see it in some vegan circles. I imagine it's like that in a lot of radical spaces. Radical politics attract people who like to gatekeep and if there's any defining characteristic of whiteness, it's gatekeeping.

That's why you need people like the Dead Kennedys around to tell them to fuck off, or do it yourself.
    Yup, which was my point. We've got the usual folks who just want to shit on everyone who doesn't toe the line so we end up with various groups of, often abused, minorities telling them to fuck themselves.

Personally, I think Shirley's got their number.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    universal basic income...
    Does that exist here in the US?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    universal basic income...
    That doesn't exist here, so can't be that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    Isn't thr saying "libertarians are just people too embarassed to admit they're fascist, with the exception of those handful people who are really, unironically libertarians, those precious innocent butterflies we have to protect under all costs."
    Its just a variation on the same observation. It's always right wingers of some variety desperate to rebrand themselves. Their childish ideologies lead them into constant embarrassment.

This article really triggered them. I'm taking a victory lap

Alliance

Is this a case of "no true Scotsman" again?
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Is this a case of "no true Scotsman" again?
    We are hunting for a Blue RINO...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Does that exist here in the US?
    The Alaska Permanent Fund gives out a dividend to all Alaska residents every year. On average its about $1500 per year.

No, it doesn't affect employment.

Yes, people use it to get shit-faced but property crime also goes down for a few months after the dividend goes out.

Jimmy Dore responds to article

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Not much of a hit piece when it is true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Milk those hits! Free advertising is the best advertising...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Why even watch it? Is he going to cry about creating AOC, but her not being his puppet?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Why even watch it? Is he going to cry about creating AOC, but her not being his puppet?
    I didn't watch it. But knowing how much of a shitbag Dore is, I know he is going to lie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this video explain why I should care what a college dropout comedian thinks about politics?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

ROFL, "let me link a video from the guy nobody wants to listen to and nobody here will."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Only works if people push play, not the best thought out strategy, but then, that's nothing new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    This thread isn't about the opinions, policies, or ideas of the opposite sides though. Milch views political discourse as a tangle of conflicting interests between people/groups and he thinks there's a conspiracy for far right wingers to infiltrate progressive spaces. It reminds me of the Survival reality show where everything is about strategizing, strange alliances, trickery, etc.

Faux leftists who don't know they are neoliberals hate lefties like Jimmy Dore because they'll criticize the Democrat party and have conversations with a person on the right. It makes their head explode.
    No Jimmy Dore is a failed Comedian and paid shill just like Joe Rogan, and make no mistake when you say conversations with the right you mean Alt-Right which is exactly what Jimmy Dore is.

There is nothing liberal about talking to racist, sexist and homophobic seditionist.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Perhaps it’s time to abandon meaningless platitudes like “left wing” and “right wing”, “liberal” or “conservative”.

I get that they help identify a group of ideology, but the terms in and of themselves have no meaning. This results in people conforming to an ideology without knowing exactly what it entails. On top of that, people all have their own view of what it entails, and all think they have the one proper view.

What I’m saying is; the words we use to describe political ideology fail in todays world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    Perhaps it’s time to abandon meaningless platitudes like “left wing” and “right wing”, “liberal” or “conservative”.

I get that they help identify a group of ideology, but the terms in and of themselves have no meaning. This results in people conforming to an ideology without knowing exactly what it entails. On top of that, people all have their own view of what it entails, and all think they have the one proper view.

What I’m saying is; the words we use to describe political ideology fail in todays world.
    I am sure Trump Supporters, QAnon and Alt-righters would like nothing more than to wipe the slate clean from all their trolling and BS and being called out for who and what they are.

I and other liberals are going to take a hard pass on that.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Hit pieces that aren't true are libel... which author of the article did too, btw - apparently had his entire article archive on South Poverty Law Center pulled over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    ROFL, "let me link a video from the guy nobody wants to listen to and nobody here will."
    People post articles constantly that almost noone (judging by thread's contents about them) reads too.

But we aren't here for the masses; a few people being interested is enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No Jimmy Dore is a failed Comedian and paid shill just like Joe Rogan, and make no mistake when you say conversations with the right you mean Alt-Right which is exactly what Jimmy Dore is.
    Paid by who to shill for what exactly?

Class solidarity?

People post articles constantly that almost noone (judging by thread's contents about them) reads too.

But we aren't here for the masses; a few people being interested is enough.
    You can't write your way out of that epic fail, not sorry.