Poll: Have you ever starved?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Have you ever starved?

Have you ever starved not on Purpose, if so how did you make it through?

Yes when I was just on my own, I didn't know how to budget and I'm lazy. Basically 99 cent Whoppers, Soup Kitchen and Pastor Paul helped me with groceries from time time.

If you grew up poor what are some things most people had you went without?

Cloths and nearly anything new, we had a black and white TV with VHF and UHF that was it for a while.

How did the either experience in the above questions change your views on the world?

I would say many things human beings can live without however clean water and food is NOT one of them, it's a right never a privilege any law that would get between that is criminal.

Nobody should ever go to jail or prison for stealing food, shelter or medicine to live.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I think your definition of starvation is a bit different than mine. For a little over a month my daily meal was an apple or orange, and a small bowl of oatmeal. Became weak, listless...and lost a lot of weight. (Never something anyone should willingly adopt as a diet) but..just out of high school and no money at the time.

7+ Year Old Account
    Starvation is basically mythical or self-imposed in the modern world. You can buy a pound of rice, beans, and bread for $4...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Nobody should ever go to jail or prison for stealing food, shelter or medicine to live.
    Being hungry is not a justification for being unethical and cheating other people. Especially in developed countries where it's pretty easy to get basic welfare and free food if you're not picky.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Starvation is basically mythical or self-imposed in the modern world. You can buy a pound of rice, beans, and bread for $4...
    Only someone who has never been destitute can say something so stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being hungry is not a justification for being unethical and cheating other people. Especially in developed countries where it's pretty easy to get basic welfare and free food if you're not picky.
    Someone else's life is more valuable than your abundance of stuff you are absolutely nobody to decide otherwise.

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone else's life is more valuable than your abundance of stuff you are absolutely nobody to decide otherwise.
    I mean almost nobody starves in the developed world so this discussion is pointless in our context. Regardless though it's not true that anybody has the right to steal other people's stuff just because they're in need. Just because the value of human life is infinite that is not a justification for taking money from billionaires like Musk and Bezos to feed starving people in Africa. It must be voluntary/consensual in order for it to be justified.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    you can't survive on rice, beans and bread for more than a very short time...
    There's a lot of cheap fruits and veggies as well and it's actually very easy to get all your essential macro and micronutrients with just a few different kinds of cheap meals.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean almost nobody starves in the developed world so this discussion is pointless in our context. Regardless though it's not true that anybody has the right to steal other people's stuff just because they're in need. Just because the value of human life is infinite that is not a justification for taking money from billionaires like Musk and Bezos to feed starving people in Africa. It must be voluntary/consensual in order for it to be justified.
    Wrong period there is no context you get to decide who eats to survive and who doesn't. You're straight up reaching for bullshit to justify you ideology of endless war and conflict predicated on greed.

You nor any law gets to mandate that.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a lot of cheap fruits and veggies as well and it's actually very easy to get all your essential macro and micronutrients with just a few different kinds of cheap meals.
    No you actually can't but if I thought for moment this comment was simply because you're misguided I would explain it. Human beings need more than rice and beans to sustain their life, what is more explaining why they can't wouldn't fix the problem with your critically flawed thinking. Bottom, line you don't give a fuck and frankly this thread was made a a social question perfect for off topic. I really couldn't care less how many people you should think it's ok to oppress so that we can have a few more billionaires.

No i live in a country where if i need help i can get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    No i live in a country where if i need help i can get it.
    The U.S in the 80's under Reagan was under that impression too. The problem is the devil is in the details and saying that line he could never be corrected. The problem is who has access.

The U.S in the 80's under Reagan was under that impression too. The problem is the devil is in the details and saying that line he could never be corrected. The problem is who has access.
    Yea i am really glad i don't live in the US.

have I been hungry? yes. but I have never starved. even on days when I mishandled budget and lived on those bagged (not cupped - bagged are a LOT cheaper) instant noodles. I was young and my body could still handle it. starvation as I see it, is when there is literally nothing to eat for prolonged periods of time. I lived through the 90ties in former USSR and after school visit to Belarus I will never confuse mundane hunger for starvation ever again. ( our parents loaded us up with non perishable foods, something we complained about until our first day in the country. there was little food and what there was was almost inedible. ever tried eating bread that is more wood dust then grain? I have. once.)

btw, it IS possible to eat nutritiously and somewhat varied for cheap. even today. but... you have to spend a LOT of time on meal prep in that case. and that is the problem that poor face. they have no money AND no time to cook. and you really need at least one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Only someone who has never been destitute can say something so stupid.
    Co-signing on this.
    He's never known deprivation, and the desperation that goes with it.

I had no lunch today, I'm starving!

Once when I was sick, I had some kind of inflammation in the throat that made it far too painful to eat (or drink) anything. Lost about 20% of my weight in about two months.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

5+ Year Old Account
    Way too personal for this forum, but yes there was a time where I starved because we were poor. Once you go through something like this as a child you may fear certain situations that are may put you in non wealthy state in your adult life and those are, ie.: marriages, relationships, loans, job contracts and so on. There is also something like you compare yourself to others and you are just being pissed off that they had everything put on the table while you strived to survive. Not much really positive experience to be honest, except that I’m glad to be alive and well.

No, but I fasted for a few days a few times. I drank water and took vitamins though.

Other times I went a while with little to eat but was not actively starving myself. Either I forgot due to being busy, was traveling, or did not find the local food agreeable. So I might have had like a single meal or something from the airport/train station on the go.

- - - Updated - - -

Starvation is basically mythical or self-imposed in the modern world.
    Holy shit. No.

Oh FUCK NO. This is actually unethical.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-05-02 at 10:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amusing seeing an individual rationalizing starvation doesn't exist... because food exists? That's your reasoning PC2?

"$4 rice exists, cheap fruits/vegetables exist, welfare exists... checkmate starvation!"

You are either being purposely obtuse or you are just woefully out of touch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for anything else but UK, I have been on self imposed starvation only, other then that it's been proven that you can survive on £1 a day worth of food or even less. You won't get your daily dose of every vitamin or minerals but that's besides the point.
    Homeless can still have at least 1 free meal a day if they know where to go, if they don't know it's because they are too busy sitting underneath cash machines waiting for handouts so they can buy drugs. Also the fucking do-gooders, they literally drop off food to those bums. I will say it again, literally impossible to starve as homeless person in England.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Only when I was a kid growing up. No food a lot of the times in the house for days on end (we were poor) at times. I remember eating dog food a lot of times just to get something in my belly. Yes I stole dog food from my neighbors on occasion so I could eat something, does that make me a bad person @PC2?
    Your parents were negligent so the blame is on them in this case. They are the bad people. It wasn't your fault.