View Poll Results: When did you level the most alts and how many?

Voters
331. This poll is closed
  • Vanilla (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • Vanilla (4 or more)

2 0.60%
  • TBC (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • TBC (4 or more)

4 1.21%
  • Wrath (3 or less)

4 1.21%
  • Wrath (4 or more)

32 9.67%
  • Cata (3 or less)

4 1.21%
  • Cata (4 or more)

17 5.14%
  • MoP (3 or less)

3 0.91%
  • MoP (4 or more)

27 8.16%
  • WoD (3 or less)

2 0.60%
  • WoD (4 or more)

64 19.34%
  • Legion (3 or less)

8 2.42%
  • Legion (4 or more)

119 35.95%
  • BfA (3 or less)

1 0.30%
  • BfA (4 or more)

26 7.85%
  • Shadowlands (3 or less)

5 1.51%
  • Shadowlands (4 or more)

11 3.32%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    As far as compelling reasons to make alts (ie, not boredom), Legion for sure. So many class hall storylines to see.

When I played WOW I didn't make alts out of boredom, I quit instead. Thus, I was gone for most of WOD.

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP, first time I maxed anything other than my main and leveled almost all the classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legion. The Class Halls got me started with making a whole bunch of low levels but after my third capped alt I just stopped... then the Mage Tower made me level cap a few more.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Legion for the mage tower.

Probably Wrath with the introduction of heirlooms. I had a warlock, 2 shamans(one each faction), druid, death knight and rogue.
    The last expansion I had any alts at all was MoP.

7+ Year Old Account
    Legion, for the weapons, mounts and story.
    But also MoP because all the classes were fun to play and I wanted to try them out.

Before Legion was announced I had 1 alt. By the end of Legion I had 11. During BfA I made 3 more. In SL I made 6 more but they are just 50 so far I only got 2 characters total to 60. So yeah Legion is the expansion I made the most alts to level cap and made me kind of an altoholic.

Technically WOD would have due to the garrison gold... but I already had 1 of each class per faction since WOTLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA, mainly down to all those damn allied races lol

For me, it was Legion. Before Legion, I only had 4 characters. Legion's class hall campaigns and class mounts inspired me to do one of every class, to see the class storylines and get the mounts. I had never had that desire before. Usually I just played the classes I found the most fun, and ignored everything else. The upside of leveling every class, though, was I discovered a couple of other classes that I had never really tried before that also turned out to be really fun, so there was that.
    "I have watched the other races... I have seen their squabbling, their ruthlessness. Their wars do nothing but scar the land, and drive the wild things to extinction. No, they cannot be trusted. Only beasts are above deceit." - Rexxar

5+ Year Old Account
    Well the poll is closed. Thank you all for your imput. So from least to most popular alt-making expansion (for whatever reason)

9. Vanilla
    8. TBC
    7. SL
    6. Cata
    5. BfA
    4. MoP
    3. Wrath
    2. WoD
    1. Legion

According to this non representative survey less than 5% made alts in SL. Might explain why they want a patch on live so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    According to this non representative survey less than 5% made alts in SL. Might explain why they want a patch on live so bad.
    Seeing how some of the expansions with the highest alt-creation-count were right before SL it's hardly surprising that people didn't make many more alts during SL.

I'm sure if you had polled for expansion and numbers (wtb multilayered polls pls), the picture would have been even more skewed.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-05-02 at 10:45 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Seeing how some of the expansions with the highest alt-creation-count were right before SL it's hardly surprising that people didn't make many more alts during SL.

I'm sure if you had polled for expansion and numbers (wtb multilayered polls pls), the picture would have been even more skewed.
    Never said I was surprised. Obviously 12 different order halls are a better motivation than 4 covenants. But an alt light expansion with a level squish.....let's just say it really needs Torghast to work.

I leveled the most alts in Cataclysm, but I played the most actively during WoD.
    Last edited by Zyky; 2021-05-03 at 08:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

shadowlands

because leveling to 60 is super easy and i dont care about all the stuff that the game wants me to do afterwards (its all borrowed power that will be ditched in the future).
    ... writing that feels kinda depressing actually. the content feels so unrewarding and not motivating that i rather ready many alts for the next expansion instead of investing into current stuff with 1/2 chars

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post

There is certainly a difference between making or playing alts. For many they have made their 12 characters and won't be making duplicates. Than again I know a few people with as many as a dozen of the same class. For me SL has too much grind with put of proportion rewards so I have 8 characters chilling at 50 waiting for some small things like a skip to the intro Maw quest. Truth be told anything Maw needs to go for me to really consider alts or at this point playing. Thenflipside was Legion and the mage tower thanks to that for the first and only time I level capped each class to unlock all the mage tower skins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phala View Post
    shadowlands

because leveling to 60 is super easy and i dont care about all the stuff that the game wants me to do afterwards (its all borrowed power that will be ditched in the future).
    ... writing that feels kinda depressing actually. the content is so bad that i rather ready many alts for the next expansion instead of investing into current stuff with 1/2 chars
    That vacuum of sucking is why many won't level their characters in SL. Things don't just become a dull slog at 60. If their were other story options besides a story on rails or skip whatever you haven't done yet I would have played more. The mix of revisiting the Maw and always going to Bastion is boring as hell. I'd replay some zones or the zone I was planning to join. No way I am doing Bastion again though.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

At the end of Legion with Mage Tower. So easy to get your perfect legendary, and I remember it was easy to get to at least 930 ilvl which was enough gear to have a lot of fun.

The poll has/had a glaring flaw. Instead of "making new alts" it should have been about PLAYING them. For instance I made all my alts back in Classic&TBC, but actively played them the most during Wotlk. So while technically I made the alts in Classic and TBC, I actually played alts the most during Wotlk.
    Last edited by Qnubi; 2021-05-03 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Legion, Mage tower was super fun and rewarding. Still happy I got all 36.
    Precisely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    The poll has/had a glaring flaw. Instead of "making new alts" it should have been about PLAYING them. For instance I made all my alts back in Classic&TBC, but actively played them the most during Wotlk. So while technically I made the alts in Classic and TBC, I actually played alts the most during Wotlk.
    Good point here. I might have made the most alts in WoD, but I didn't really play them once they hit lax level.
    This being in stark contrast to Legion where I made less alts, but I actively played more to see all the content.
    The world revamp dream will never die!