Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    *snip*
    I liked Legion for what it was. I think artifacts and class halls were very cool, fun and well done.

On the flip side, I do agree. Vanilla (more than Classic) but Classic too feel more like "RPGs" than retail. You paved your own path instead of one being paved for you... though you had to keep up. If you got a drop in a dungeon... you thought "oh cool, an upgrade". In retail, you could get a purple item and be like "meh ok". Sometimes in retail, you wouldn't even notice the power increase because numbers were so high. In Classic, a caster getting Robes of Arugal, you saw an actual increase to your DPS.

It's a toss-up. Some people like prescribed things to do while others like inventing things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    No, there most certainly is a lot of world content. Whether you like it or not is up to you, but it's certainly there and it's not for 1 month either. I've been playing since SL launch non stop and I still have multiple hours of stuff to do every day. Also, a lot of it is also done through LFG groups so I can state with utmost certainty that a lot of other people are playing it as well. Even on EU Alliance, which is probably among the least populated faction/region combo, there are full raids being made all the time for open world rares, farming reps, riddles, pets and so on. The raidloggers might have unsubbed till 9.1, but that's just a portion of the player base, and definitely not the majority.
    Every collector I know finished that stuff many many months ago and is bored out of their mind. On the rare chance I go out and do a world quest (on US horde on a high pop server) there's almost no one around. Even the beast hunts in the Maw are annoying to do now because no one is playing the game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Spears View Post
    Are you sure it is the game for you? WoW has always been mostly a lobby game. If you want a world game something like runescape or eve online is the game for you wow has always been about instances.
    wow was always about instances AND world content... be it rep grinds and long q chains in vanila, daily quests in wotlk, wq in legion or assaults in bfa...
    sure, the most "power progres" content was instanced, and thats ok, but there was always things to do in world, so no, it was never even close to lobby game...
    if you ignored everything outside instances thats your problem, but then i dont understand why you want "instances only" expansion if you already play that way...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vian View Post
    Did we ever have that? It's been gimmicks and expanding systems all day through.
    WOD was close, and it worked amazing so why not try the same just remove garisson so its even LESS things to do...

Every expac has had features, be they races or a class or both or a revamp of the world or race/class revamps, or things like class content or gear powers or faction powers.

There has never been an expac that was 'just' dungeons or raids.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No. You've never seen it the first time. There's never been an expansion that was just dungeons and raids. So seeing it again isn't going to happen. Nor is seeing it for the first time.
    I mean I feel like you know what I am getting at so I won't get to in depth with it.

Will we ever see it again?
    As a competitive player I would love an expansion with solely a M+ and a raid focus, but that will never happen.
    Blizzard isn't run by idiots, they know exactly how its diverse player base consume the game.

We have the tourists that buy the expansion and play for a couple of months. They are drawn by something new and shiny = systems or "gimmicks" as you call them.
    There are a lot of tourists. It seems that they have become an important part, if not the most important part, of the player-base.

Then we have the competitive people who still get their raids and who just optimize around all the expansion specific systems. They can live with it and will keep playing.
    Then we have the collectors. They have something new and shiny and time-limited to collect with each expansion. It is perfect for them.
    Then we have the "museum-people." The ones that want the game not to change or change very slowly. They are not happy, but considering that Blizzard keeps using expansion-based features or "gimmicks" it seems that they are much less interesting from a business perspective as the tourists.

Blizzard is using expansion specific systems to maximize its expansion sales and "honeymoon-phase" subscriptions, while still keeping the "addicts" around = competitive people and collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    As a competitive player I would love an expansion with solely a M+ and a raid focus
    strictly technicaly speaking, M+ is system, so that should not be in "raids and dungeons only, no systems or gimmicks" expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    strictly technicaly speaking, M+ is system, so that should not be in "raids and dungeons only, no systems or gimmicks" expansion
    Maybe you are right.
    On the other hand M+, as in competitive dungeons, has now been in the game for 3 expansions, 5 if you also count WoD's and MoP's challenge mode dungeons, so I have been so bold to include M+ under the dungeon category.

Quote Originally Posted by T-34 View Post
    Maybe you are right.
    On the other hand M+, as in competitive dungeons, has now been in the game for 3 expansions, 5 if you also count WoD's and MoP's challenge mode dungeons, so I have been so bold to include M+ under the dungeon category.
    sure, i would too, and im pretty sure OP too, but its been in for 3 expansions of 9(vanila included) so its not "bread and butter thats always been there" as he formulated it... but hard to say as he claimed wow never had world content

10+ Year Old Account
    Might as well just make the game log you right into the Group finder, remove the open world entirely and just make it a lobby for joining dungeons and raids. Not an MMO, but maybe it would shut half these people up.

Hopefully not, because I want to actually play the game and not just do the same dungeons and reclear the raid I've already progressed through for months. Since Legion the richness of world content has vastly improved and it is now a viable alternative for people who don't want to do high end pve/pvp, or just want to do something more after being done with those areas of the game.

Pre-Legion, the only thing non-pvers and non-pvpers had were hubs with daily quests that gave content for about 30 days tops. Not very interesting at all.
    So you'd rather do the same WQs over and over

7+ Year Old Account
    very much this.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean I feel like you know what I am getting at so I won't get to in depth with it.
    Perhaps but there are plenty of people who would dispense with the world entirely and prefer the game be a set of dungeons, raids and a lobby. I just took you at your word. At that point, WoW makes its final move into being a dungeon crawler and eliminates the theme park aspect entirely. Don't kid yourself that there are no people who would think that to be great. It would, however, be the death of the game as we know it. It's an entirely different game at that point.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2021-05-12 at 08:00 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Four leveling dungeons is just not enough.

If it had been all 8, dungeon leveling would be a whole hell of a lot more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyrinx View Post
    Four leveling dungeons is just not enough.

If it had been all 8, dungeon leveling would be a whole hell of a lot more bearable.
    yaeh, makes sense on first char as you go through campaign to only have those but in fate its kinda weird and pointless

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread is the epitome of beggars being choosers.

"No guys, the game was never just dungeons and raids and of course I don't want dungeons and raids because I need to reinforce my opinion, I'd rather just have no game"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The people with access to player engagement numbers feel that additional systems are needed to keep players interested and engaging with the world.

And considering WOTLK between resets, who can blame them. Sadly, the constant additions makes it more difficult for me to enjoy the game, and I was NEVER one of the people sat in cities whining "I have nothing to do/I'm boooored!" between resets...
    Same here. For all the crap WotLK seems to be getting from the usual defenders of the statu quo, I NEVER got bored in WotLK, even without gimmicks like covenants, Torghast or world quests. As a matter of fact, I just did the AC ones, and that was because of the cool mount and nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Think we will ever get it again?

No alternative power systems... not gimmick content like wf,visions, torghast, and isles...

Just dungeon and raids the wonderful bread and butter of wow...

Will we ever see it again?
    The next expansion should be fleshing out all the areas in all the expansions that were underutilized. All the stuff they planned for but dropped because of time or budget constraints. Ex: Azjol-Nerub in WotLK. Every expansion has at least one of those zones. We could fix all of them up + "pull a Cata on some vanilla zones" and add a ton of dungeons and a set of raids to it.

Hell, they probably did half the work designing these grand-vision zones in the first place, so we're part way there already.

Hopefully not, because I want to actually play the game and not just do the same dungeons and reclear the raid I've already progressed through for months. Since Legion the richness of world content has vastly improved and it is now a viable alternative for people who don't want to do high end pve/pvp, or just want to do something more after being done with those areas of the game.

Pre-Legion, the only thing non-pvers and non-pvpers had were hubs with daily quests that gave content for about 30 days tops. Not very interesting at all.

Holy shit, its really interesting to see such a take on this, because its completely different from my own.
    I loved the MoP style of the daily system. The reputations were very rewarding (and not completely useless like now) and even unlocked additional story events upon reaching new reputation steps.
    In addition to that they rotated and some even had a cool companion system with followers that actually DID something.
    Legion brought WQs, that were also cool in the beginning, but for different reasons than MoP dailies and instead of iterating on them and improving them, they generated BfA WQs, which were much worse and then they did SL WQs, which are basically the nail in the coffin for that system.

In general I feel like Open World content was NEVER as bad as it is in SL. Ok, I lied, WoD was worse in that regard.

What exactly do you have now? Instead of hubs with daily quests you just have them called world quests and spread around. What else? Torghast and maw? That's 30 days tops of content.

What viability is there from doing wq? And also the same as evet, non-raiders are stuck with the same dungeons in mythic+ for an entire expansion.