Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    In the meantine ~10 year old games keeps growing, ex. path of exile, FF xiv (almost at peak of a lifetime).

I mean wow being old is defo a factor but the thing is... wow also fails at design decisions, has inconsistent release schedule, inconsistent design decisions and does not attract new players (or actively discourage new players).

Why is that? People want consistency, people want to know what to expect. People don't like their fav specs turned into a melee, redesigned completely or ripped out and turned into item that they know they are going to lose 2y after.

as for the topic
    classic did have influence, shame they took worst parts and nothing good. Like putting inconveniences just for sake of it.
    This sounds 100% what’s going on I really do hope they can find a way to get back on a schedule and release something new that will be fun until then I’m on the ESO train.
    "Voted Most Likely To Be Banned From The Forum."

Retail is "suffering" only because of 9.1 delay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    Does anyone one else feel like because of all the classic hype we are losing content and a-lot of blizzards resources are going to classic projects?
    No. Different team and much smaller. Plus the content for Classic/TBC is already done. If you could put a number on "Blizzard's resources" Classic/TBC might be something like a 3 or a 4 out of 100. Hype does not in any way = amount of work required to ready something for the public.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

It's the other way around. They aren't delaying 9.1 because they have to push classic tbc first. They're pushing classic tbc to the forefront because they're still deep in the reeds with pants down when it comes to 9.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    It's the other way around. They aren't delaying 9.1 because they have to push classic tbc first. They're pushing classic tbc to the forefront because they're still deep in the reeds with pants down when it comes to 9.1.
    Yeah it was completely obvious from the 9.1 reveal that they were extremely behind schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Covid is probably an important explanation for the drought, but not the only one. It is worth remembering that Blizzard was already behind schedule with SL even before the pandemic started.
    BfA is why they were behind in the first place. They had to fix their game systems after mere months and had to use time and effort to come up with a new one(essences). They have mentioned changing game systems like that takes a lot of resources, and they had to start working on it early on.

What an epic failure azerite armor system was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Also it was Bobby Kotick that killed the Starcraft MMO in favor of Overwatch. Kotick took one look at the Overwatch lineup of heroes, pretty much saw a massive potential payday from marketing those heroes as action figures, and told them to scrap the SC MMO and make Overwatch instead.

Oops...

Kotick should NOT have been in charge of such decisions. That move alone may ultimately have doomed the entire company.
    Yeah, cause Overwatch hasnt been a massive success?

Overwatch and Legion Expansion is more likely the things that saved Blizzard, more than anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic just exists to grab easy money from nostalgia fanatics, like any media nowadays.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Retail is suffering, because of a guy name Ion that doesn’t know what fun is. He has the personality of a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/StarCraft_MMO

Blizzard confirmed they were working on a new unnamed MMO, however[7] codenamed Titan,[8] as well as a fifth game, which used the World of Warcraft engine for testing purposes.[9] Titan ended development in the summer of 2013.[10] The cancellation of Titan eventually gave way to Overwatch, but in the intermediary period, three separate game ideas were conceived. One of them was an MMO set in a pre-established Blizzard IP. The other was an MMO set in the StarCraft universe, as the team wanted to be able to tell stories in the setting that one couldn't in an RTS format, such as what life was like for civilians on the various planets of the setting.[11] It is known that artwork of one of the characters (see above) was inspired by Prospector Logann (also note the hydralisk and dropships in the picture). Additionally, Team 4 was fond of the StarCraft universe, and was willing to do something similar in regards to how World of Warcraft related to the original Warcraft RTS games. However, neither the supposed StarCraft MMO nor Crossroads (another MMO idea) went through.[12]

McCree from Overwatch was originally going to be a central character in the Starcraft MMO, they even had artwork done with McCree standing over a dead Zerg with dropships overhead.

While I admire people who can back up their words when contested, which you did beautifully and brilliantly in almost academic-like manner, I can't help to think about how much spare time you have on your hands simply debunking some guy on the forums

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Retail is suffering, because of a guy name Ion that doesn’t know what fun is. He has the personality of a rock.
    Blizz know what fun is. How else would they hit it with removed/nerfbat?

Quote Originally Posted by Delano View Post
    Retail WoW is suffering because of retail WoW. Classic is a symptom of the disease at best.
    This is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    dont be naive
    that has nothing to do with it, they can allow themselves to produce less content for retail and funnel the people leaving/quitting into other title (tbc) that they own
    so, little content, sub guaranteed, costumer remains within the umbrella games
    How is this relevant to what I wrote?

WoW is suffering because its almost 20 years old in a genre that is basically all but dead. There are not nearly enough new players that come into the game to replace the jaded vets who have seen it all and decided to move along. You can only put a new coat of paint on the same house so many times.

How many games are as old as WoW that still have any significant playerbase left? I cant think of anything.

ehh not really. How hard is it really to ask the modern WoW coding guys to code an older version of the game and then go off on your own tangent according to the original game's patch history and fixes? If the Retail WoW's offerings sucked beyond belief when Blizzard asked for $70 for that shit, I'd say you'd have a point. But Retail hasn't suffered, I don't think, with Classic and TBC Classic (and WOTLK Classic upcoming I hope) going on. A small dedicated section of coding nerds and a bullshit game producer looking over the Classic servers and such, meh, I don't think Retail suffers hardly at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    WoW is suffering because its almost 20 years old in a genre that is basically all but dead. There are not nearly enough new players that come into the game to replace the jaded vets who have seen it all and decided to move along. You can only put a new coat of paint on the same house so many times.

How many games are as old as WoW that still have any significant playerbase left? I cant think of anything.
    This absolving of any blame for the WoW team is just so delusional. Classic is thriving. Pservers for golden-era expansions are thriving. The only thing WoW-related that is not thriving is retail, and it hasn't been doing well for 4 expansions now. Do you think people moved on or swapped to Classic because they're burned out, or maybe it's because retail WoW just isn't being designed in a way that makes them want to play it?

I have the time, the money, and the desire to play WoW... I just have absolutely ZERO desire to play the overly-systemized, grindy, mind-numbing tedium that is retail WoW post-Legion. I spend my time playing WotLK pservers, because that is a version of the game I still greatly enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    Nice try, but it isn't. Other gaming company's haven't had a single issue. But somehow blizzard is? Maybe it's because they have fired a lot of people even though they've made more money.
    A lot of other senior developers have left blizzard as well. Blizzard is going down the toilet. And it's because the people who made it great (games for gamers by gamers) have left. Now we've got the lawyers and shareholders.
    how will the game ever recover from all those esports personel getting fired

also a bunch of the fired people literaly had nothing to do with wow,people rly need to actualy look in to those clickbait headlines of ACITVISION BLIZZARD FIRED 200 PEOPLE=WOW DEAD,when 99% of em didnt even work on wow facepalm

Everybody has to realize that Classic and Retail both are now part of the WoW universe, they share a schedule and therefore things have to fit somehow (e.g. Classic expansion in uneven years, retail expansion in even years).

Retail isn't superior to Classic anymore or should be treated as such, both are products in Blizzard's WoW universe. By offering deluxe editions or other micro transactions they already established TBC Classic as a financial powerhouse. It's obvious that TBC Classic will outgross retail this year based on that.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The wiki link doesn’t seem to mention Kotick how do we know he called that shot?
    likely his own headcanon

also whats this about starcraft mmo being canceled because of overwatch?starcraft mmo was going to come out in 2005

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    likely his own headcanon

also whats this about starcraft mmo being canceled because of overwatch?starcraft mmo was going to come out in 2005
    More so sounds like they threw the idea around but it never got off the ground so the parts about it being canceled because of overwatch are more so just hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Xires View Post
    No. Absolutely NO blizzard game resources are being taken away from retail. Retail just sucks that bad now is all.
    All they did was release an already created previous version of the game.

You lost no content...it's just that blizzard expects you to pay the same for less now is all. And if you look at their content creation cycle since even just legion...you can see that we are getting nothing compared to what we used to get.
    Don't worry...blizzard will create new problems in future patches so that they can sell you the solution as a "game feature".

- - - Updated - - -

They have already stated that retail lost nothing for classic. What devs are over in classic?
    What resources and people do they need to put in re=releasing an already created game? You have lost no one from retail to take care of classic. You just need to except that you're getting less content from blizzard.
    With companies, what they state and what actually goes on internally are two different things. Also, a game like classic requires engineers that specialize in the systems within the game, not just data entry type roles. And the systems engineers that work on classic could very well be the same systems engineers working on the latest mechanics and world systems in retail, so it's actually very likely that classic is causing a slowdown in retail. Despite what you might think, retail is not just new art. Each expansion and patch require many systems changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GUZ View Post
    First off I’m not a classic hater and I think its cool but I like retail and am paying for a subscription for it and the dlcs so my question is. Does anyone one else feel like because of all the classic hype we are losing content and a-lot of blizzards resources are going to classic projects?
    Progression and Classic servers have different teams to handle them according to Blizzard.

As well, I do not feel many resources going to the classic project, just look at the TBC start-up.

And for content or lack of for some, that is sadly a feeling of strangulation by the upper board of Activision-Blizzard.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..