Thread: Euro 2020

Page 84 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think England are looking better, Italy's passing and efficiency with possession is horrendous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Italy also can't keep up an aggressive tempo for the full 90, not without burning themselves out.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Surprise that lunge wasn't a yellow tbh. Looks like the ref wants to be lenient. Which is good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Italy also can't keep up an aggressive tempo for the full 90, not without burning themselves out.
    Problem is, neither can England. They put so much pressure on Italys defence, it will cost them a lot of energy. But still England's game so far.

- - - Updated - - -

And Sterling dives again. England looks like a proper South European team

The ref is having none of the dark arts atm from either side

- - - Updated - - -

4 mins seems a bit much

Italians are just so sloppy whenever they come near England's penalty area. Looks like they caught the Spanish influenza.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

There is no way Sterling stays on his feet with that body block, regardless of it not being a foul. That does not make it a dive, just because it isn't a foul. The shouts after for a free kick are maybe out of order, but he ain't staying up there, and neither would any of you. Criticise the free kick shouts, the stuff he's actually doing, rather than calling dive every time.

Especially when it's about 30s after some Italian acting that apparently didn't warrant comment.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2021-07-11 at 07:54 PM.

Hope Italians get it together and score a goal fast in the 2nd half.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far a piss poor tournament. Wish the final would be better but alas. England the better side this first half, catenaccio defending but still putting pressure on the Italian defense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    There is no way Sterling stays on his feet with that body block, regardless of it not being a foul. That does not make it a dive, just because it isn't a foul. The shouts after for a free kick are maybe out of order, but he ain't staying up there, and neither would any of you. Criticise the free kick shouts, the stuff he's actually doing, rather than calling dive every time.

Especially when it's about 30s after some Italian acting that apparently didn't warrant comment.
    If you're shouting for a free kick or a card, if there is no reason to, it's a schwalbe or translated a dive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    Problem is, neither can England. They put so much pressure on Italys defence, it will cost them a lot of energy. But still England's game so far.
    England's strength lies in their depth. So many players who would walk into most starting 11s at this tournament are sat on the bench.

Also we really calling body blocks a dive, while ignoring Italian theatrics? Come on now

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol they are right on Dutch tv; if Rice is the best player on the pitch, something's terribly wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol they are right on Dutch tv; if Rice is the best player on the pitch, something's terribly wrong.
    They're wrong, Luke Shaw has bossed this.

If you're shouting for a free kick or a card, if there is no reason to, it's a schwalbe or translated a dive.
    If you've been body blocked, I wouldn't say there's no reason. A dive is going down when you would not, especially with zero contact. Like diving into a swimming pool. It's not shouting to the ref for a free kick, that is different.

The only thing I'd say is he should give up the shout sooner.

Watch every team in the tournament. They shout for potential hand balls. Entire defensive lines stick their hands up for offsides, even if they turn out not to be. They claim throw ins, corners, all sorts of free kicks, they shout for penalty shouts. The only problem is when you persist with that shout past when you should. The worst version of which is ref crowding.

Sterling gets way more heat for free kick shouts than almost any other player in this tournament. I would suggest that part of this is the media campaign to portray his character in a particular way that has gone on since he was about 18. And does not happen to other players. White players. I'm not saying that anyone that dislikes him is guilty of racism, but the media coverage of him that informs opinions is undoubtedly different to coverage of your white players.

Think about how other players are portrayed. As cheeky chappies. Or smart players, playing a smart game. And you'll see it.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2021-07-11 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    England's strength lies in their depth. So many players who would walk into most starting 11s at this tournament are sat on the bench.

Also we really calling body blocks a dive, while ignoring Italian theatrics? Come on now
    I'm not denying Italian diving, South Europeans tend to, I'm just calling out the hypocrisy, especially after that semi final pk

Denmark would have destroyed this Italian team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    If you've been body blocked, I wouldn't say there's no reason. A dive is going down when you would not, especially with zero contact. Like diving into a swimming pool. It's not shouting to the ref for a free kick, that is different.

The only thing I'd say is he should give up the shout sooner.

Watch every team in the tournament. They shout for potential hand balls. Entire defensive lines stick their hands up for offsides, even if they turn out not to be. They claim throw ins, corners, all sorts of free kicks, they shout for penalty shouts. The only problem is when you persist with that shout past when you should. The worst version of which is ref crowding.

Sterling gets way more heat for free kick shouts than almost any other player in this tournament. I would suggest that part of this is the media campaign to portray his character in a particular way that has gone on since he was about 18. And does not happen to other players. White players. I'm not saying that anyone that dislikes him is guilty of racism, but the media coverage of him that informs opinions is undoubtedly different to coverage of your white players.

Think about how other players are portrayed. As cheeky chappies. And you'll see it.
    So it's racism why Sterling dives? Come on, Robben received as much hate and rightfully so.

- - - Updated - - -

And diving again...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh look, there goes Sterling again

I'm not denying Italian diving, South Europeans tend to, I'm just calling out the hypocrisy, especially after that semi final pk
    I guess if they don't stop, continue the complaint but join in. Since not joining in is handicapping yourself. *shrug*

So it's racism why Sterling dives? Come on, Robben received as much hate and rightfully so.
    It's why media portrayals of his free kick shouts are so very different to other players. He knows it, and he called it out. Things Sterling does are criticised in ways that we don't see with other players. The idea that a black footballer is cheating is so much easier for certain media outlets to sell than that he's playing a smart game, or he's one of those cheeky lads, like their viewers/readers know from down the pub.

I'm not saying he never goes down. I'm saying when he does, the reaction is different. Watch the reactions to similar situations, it's so obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sterling goes down one end, no penalty.

Does the same thing the other end, free kick.

There's an inconsistency there.