Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would love more dwarf lore and stories. They threw a bone with Magni and that barely counts

There are races on Azeroth?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazmalak View Post
    There are races on Azeroth?
    The differences between the playable races of Azeroth are even slighter than those between the RL human races, at least when it comes to values or alignment, in D&D terms. After BfA everyone is Lawful Good (the way Danuser understands it, anyway ), everyone drools over MUH HONOURZ except the baddies, everyone strictly follows the tenets of Anduinism lest they want to be branded as evil, or troublemaker at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything that's not humans or elves really.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    deeper/sophisticated concepts like the Void.
    How is such a concept sophisticated, exactly?

Gnome, gnome is still the only original race who's never even been in a cinematic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    I would love more dwarf lore and stories. They threw a bone with Magni and that barely counts
    Vanilla/wotlk/cata were packed full of dwarf content/lore/quests

Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post
    Gnome, gnome is still the only original race who's never even been in a cinematic.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, obviously, but I think what he's arguing is that there's not been much focus as of late, not that they've never done them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    The differences between the playable races of Azeroth are even slighter than those between the RL human races, at least when it comes to values or alignment, in D&D terms. After BfA everyone is Lawful Good (the way Danuser understands it, anyway ), everyone drools over MUH HONOURZ except the baddies, everyone strictly follows the tenets of Anduinism lest they want to be branded as evil, or troublemaker at the very least.
    It's all politically motivated and it's why the game won't change, correct course, or get better with the lore or storytelling.

I think WoW should have allowed for a similar alignment system to SWTOR, where you are free to play a "good" Horde character or an "evil" one or something in-between, and ditto for the Alliance. Exploring these types of stories, inner conflict and culture clashes, would be far more interesting than the Azeroth Power Rangers story we keep getting AND allow for exploration of each race and their interactions with one another.

OT: All races are underused and underdeveloped because they're all the exact same with only cosmetic differences and hollow "red" or "blue" affiliations.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OokOok View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Vanilla? Sure, it was great for dwarf lore. Wotlk... not really, aside from one storyline in Grizzly Hills and a couple of references in HoS. And Cata did precious little for dwarves besides, idk, TH?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

7+ Year Old Account
    I went in tis topic 100% sure elves fans would be saying their race(be/ne) are underused and just need more, despite being the race who are more used and have more representation besides humans and orcs, their the self-centered view never changes.

Not counting allied races because they came yesterday:

the races underused, in the horde, are trolls, taurens and goblins, hands down. goblins were more or less used in cata-mop to do the tech, mostly because they were introduced in that expansion.

Being aware that the trio, taurens-trolls-orcs, were more used from vanilla-mop, after that the shift in the focus who became forsaken and b.elves their became sidekicks in their own faction, with trolls and orcs not even having a racial leader for two whole expansions. And mostly used as canon folder.

On the alliance, obviously, Dwarves, worgens and gnomes, i would say it was draeneis too but they got something in tbc and Legion. Alliance is just about humans and night elves at this point.

The dwarves being irrelevant in wow is almost criminal knowing how it is a popular race.

On both of course pandarem

It is true. The Void Elves are underrepresented, underrated, and underdeveloped in every possible way.

The issue goes deeper as I think people in WoW have little awareness or appreciation for deeper/sophisticated concepts like the Void. For someone like me who used to play Blood Elf Shadowpriest and always felt like the race culture as a whole is too fancy for Shadow/Void themes, I feel vindicated that they added the Void variation.

We got the Legion climax featuring Light and Void, only to be grounded in BfA with the childish faction war and then regurgitate Death themes to appease the Wrath nostalgia.

Are they saving them for later? Did they decide to drop these plots so they can go for "easier" themes? I personally got hope with Legion adding a clear Void theme to Spriest, the introduction of more Void stuff on Argus and the addition of Void Elves only to be pushed to the sidelines for almost 5 years now.

Here's hoping the cosmic war will explode after Shadowlands.
    Yeah I have mained a Shadow Priest since Classic. My first toon ever in this videogame was a Shadow Priest. They are simply the most unique character in the entire game, no one else wields the Void in such maddening and twisted ways. So the Ren'dorei are the ideal race, a race of mortals who defied the shadows' whispers and ascended to a higher state of existence, a shame that Blizzard never develops them.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Yeah I have mained a Shadow Priest since Classic. My first toon ever in this videogame was a Shadow Priest. They are simply the most unique character in the entire game, no one else wields the Void in such maddening and twisted ways. So the Ren'dorei are the ideal race, a race of mortals who defied the shadows' whispers and ascended to a higher state of existence, a shame that Blizzard never develops them.
    Your ideal race, or are you arguing that they are legitimately the ideal form of life? Because I could very easily think of a few issues with that.

Horde races need far more interaction, as to justify why the whole bloc just doesn't break apart.

Alliance races desperately need more development, without any human in the picture.

Neutral faction shouldn't feature humans for quite a while as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Conceptuel View Post
    How is such a concept sophisticated, exactly?
    Because assuming its story is being told right in the long run, the Void represents "dark" at its primordial form without being definable by morality. By extension, that allows the Light to be narrated with more complexity as well, given that they create a Yin/Yang situation over a simplistic situation of Argent Dawn vs Scourge.

Essentially the fact that Death and Void are considered two different forces is what gives a lot of credit to the theory. Additionally, as much as people want to call out Blizz on weak storytelling, the inclusion of Void whispers is what has driven a lot of speculation into the community which creates a lot of excitement for most lore addicts.

Again, emphasis on "being told right". What sets the Void apart from other "dark" domains is the inclusion of abstraction, mystery, and yes, moral greyness. It can create stories where a Void-infested zone can be cleansed through the Light, but a Light enslaved zone can be liberated through the Void.

Because assuming its story is being told right in the long run, the Void represents "dark" at its primordial form without being definable by morality. By extension, that allows the Light to be narrated with more complexity as well, given that they create a Yin/Yang situation over a simplistic situation of Argent Dawn vs Scourge.

Essentially the fact that Death and Void are considered two different forces is what gives a lot of credit to the theory. Additionally, as much as people want to call out Blizz on weak storytelling, the inclusion of Void whispers is what has driven a lot of speculation into the community which creates a lot of excitement for most lore addicts.

Again, emphasis on "being told right". What sets the Void apart from other "dark" domains is the inclusion of abstraction, mystery, and yes, moral greyness. It can create stories where a Void-infested zone can be cleansed through the Light, but a Light enslaved zone can be liberated through the Void.
    I think it stems from the human fascination for entropy, the call of the void (literally in this case), whatever could exist in the absolute absence of anything and everything. Embodying this in something tangible has an allure that cannot be denied and fades into fear of the unknown, which in turn furthers this curiosity.

That's not particularly deep, though. The idea of a balance between two contrasting forces, each of which has flaws and strengths, isn't particularly old -- Moorcock (yes, that is actually a human being's surname) did it better and earlier, anyway.

Although it is true that the Void does prompt speculation, this chiefly seems to have to do with the preexisting fact that it is relatively unknown next to the other domains and happens to be more interesting than Zovaal, a rather low bar to get by.

Also, how and where is the Void particularly morally ambiguous? It seems to be pretty objectively dangerous to living things without much of a reason to sympathize with anything there (somewhat awkward-sounding, but "evil" is the wrong word), albeit with some less evil wielders and followers. As a force on its own, it seems quite naturally anathema to mortal life in a way that would prompt any reasonable person to stay away from it. Although the Light has been portrayed in a more balanced way, I don't see how that really increases the depth or profundity of either. Add to this how even then, moral ambiguity doesn't make anything necessarily more deep -- as BFA showed, a lot of times you simply end up with a muddled story where people will catch and toss the villain ball whilst the writers search desperately for motivation. The thing you seem to be forgetting is that people are in no way intimidated by such a prospect -- I'm sure everyone would be more than open to more moral ambiguity -- but instead that Blizzard isn't all too good at handling the subject.

The idea of an innate struggle between two opposing forces is indeed useful, and sometimes "sophisticated". That's the idea behind Hegelian dialectics -- there is an "abstract", and idea which needs to develop, and consequently must pass through and survive its antithesis, the "negative". The "concrete" is the abstract molded by its experience with the negative, being shaped by it and sometimes even adapting its traits. If the Void and Light were more explicitly Hegelian in nature, it would be considerably deeper even without muddled morality and would make for a fun reference to philosophy without putting too much of a burden on the writers. It would allow the Light to be the "abstract" whilst keeping a need for a force which is innately anathema to all mortal existence because it is required to create the concrete. It similarly fits into the preexisting dialectic between the forces, and the creation of souls (as a prospect of the Light) and flesh (as a prospect of the Void).

Rather than a conflict that simply exists for the sake of conflict, a Hegelian approach would return to the original position of the Light needing the Void to exist, and vice-versa. Similarly, it would justify things like what A'dal said about how it's only best to cull the Void instead of work to destroy it. This would also add more of a degree of depth to its followers, as they legitimately seek to oppose things based on wanting to facilitate a struggle for survival (it ties in with how the Void is about survival instincts, too) to ultimately increase the depth and strength of the concrete.

As for the abstract concept of Yin and Yang, it was never all too deep, ultimately. It simply represents a mythological cycle which doesn't necessarily have much purpose to it other than to facilitate stories and explain the existence of contradictory ideas. Even the call to explore the absence of things is ultimately one driven by minimal understanding of the fact that an absence is just that -- an absence. There isn't anything there to explore, ultimately.
    Last edited by Le Conceptuel; 2021-06-29 at 10:43 PM.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    We need more cow action. Baine for Warchief.

5+ Year Old Account
    Uhmm gnomes? I can't remember they actually did anything meaningful at all. Beside I would say Void Elf, i might be bias toward them but I didn't see them in the story either.
    Alleria Windrunner's BIGGEST fanboy. Will defend her no matter what!

Basically anyone including allied races that are not human and orc. The tauren need a better leader and kick some serious ass, they are giant bulls after all. Forsaken need their original identity from vanilla WoW back which made them look more like outcasts who don't care for anyone but themselves and aren't afraid in using sadistic measures to get what they want. Dwarves and gnomes should be working together more often rather than just only working for the humans, have them work to reclaim Gnomeregan and Grim Batol.