Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    telegraphs often don't line up with animations
    You need to rewire your brain from thinking the animation does the dmg, it's the circle on the ground disappearing that does the dmg if you are in it, and more often then not once you see the circle you need drop anything you are doing and get out of it asap or you don't make it out in time. Once you manage that it doesn't really feel odd anymore.

bald man plays it

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    The fact that they changed some actor voices in Heavensward. It was a sad discovery that Urianger not longer speaks Lor'themar's voice.
    That they replaced merlwyb blow-a-fish voice its a fucking sacrilege, the 1st time i encounter her i low key was waiting for meridia beacon

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    That they replaced merlwyb blow-a-fish voice its a fucking sacrilege, the 1st time i encounter her i low key was waiting for meridia beacon
    Yeah, quite a few were replaced. Still Urianger is the biggest letdown for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    That's what the game is. This is like walking into a basketball game and being upset it isn't football. You don't have to like basketball, but to complain that it isn't football is really to miss the point. Saying "Basketball would be so much better with tackling!" is kind of a silly point. Like, sure, maybe it WOULD be more enjoyable for you if it had tackling, but if you can't see why that isn't really a valuable discussion then I don't know what to say. I get where you are coming from, it's just a weird way to frame the issue.
    Respectfully disagree. While I understand where you are coming from I don't think sports are the correct analogy here because they're not fluid and ever changing. Sports rarely change in a major way, but games certainly can and do sometimes.

• Having a glamour log doesn't mean I want the game to be WoW.
    • Being able to press an active ability to dismount automatically doesn't mean I want the game to be WoW.
    • Having more depth and synergy inside job kits (or more interesting tanking/healing paradigms) doesn't mean I want the game to be WoW.
    • Having a cleaner more streamlined questing experience for new players doesn't mean I want the game to be WoW.

None of these examples are as crazy as changing up your sports examples would be.

Yes, some people like a slower game and some like a faster one, but there are also classes in FF14 that have near constantly using oGCD abilities.
    Even if that were true, having it rigidly tied to specific jobs is sub optimal design IMO. I don't want to have to play an aesthetic I don't like/resonate with to get more engaging gameplay. I'd be curious if you agree or disagree on that.

Some classes have more priority oriented systems in FF14.
    DNC and BRD are the only two basically and they're tied to the same role, and even worse an aesthetic I don't personally care about at all. If I am mistaken let me know.

On the topic of mandatory, you are right, but the wow UI is so insanely bad as to make many others "mandatory" for the game to be hassle-free, like an auctionhouse addon.
    I mean FF14 could use one too, it's so freaking clunky. It's why most people use the aggregate sites when they want to purchase or sell meaningfully. But we're largely in agreement here.

I think you are comparing cutting edge content to cutting edge content, rather than comparing the vast bulk of the game to the vast bulk of the game.
    So to be clear, you're stating that my analysis on CE to CE is correct. Ok good, at least we solved that.

We'll define "vast bulk of content" as anything not EXs, Savage/Ultimates then?

You're saying that while leveling in WoW you struggled with normal mode dungeon mechanics and what they did? Even with a journal? LFR mechanics made no sense to you? I guess I just don't understand WHERE the content in WoW is that's giving you a hard time with understanding mechanics.

I agree that almost all dungeon mechanics in FF14 are pretty straightforward (yet people still run away with stack markers), but 24 man and normal mode raids are considerably more obtuse than anything in WoW that I can think of, PLEASE feel free to share specific examples so I can better relate. Looking at FF14 areas that players struggled with just off the top of my head:

Starboard/Larboard controversy
    Worker 8 Math problems
    Agri Manyu world of darkness (as evidence by new player post above)

I could go on, but I'd be more curious of WoW examples that aren't clear.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Yeah, quite a few were replaced. Still Urianger is the biggest letdown for me.
    Gideon Emery, the voice actor, is a goddamn treasure. Known for great voices such as Balthier(FFXII), Fenris(Dragon Age 2), Lor'themar(WoW) and random Imperials in Skyrim + many more games and shows.
    Me and my friend tends to play "spot Gideon" whenever we play something new due to his very distinct voice and he is in goddamn everything.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I have something I actively dislike so far

But here are my nitpicks:

-No dismounting on entering combat
    -The limit on how many glamour you can have and needing additional items to use it
    -When the quest asks you to hand over your weapon to upgrade but you need
    -No inventory filtering

EDIT: running two raids 18 times each to upgrade a Resistance Weapon

And a truly personal one:

-Races. I need a monster looking race in my life but alas. I know it doesn't fit into FF too much
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2021-07-12 at 06:14 AM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account
    After spending some time yesterday organizing some Delubrum speedruns:

The awful system when it comes to parties and communication:

Whispering and chatting restrictions in general.

Something that bothered me to no end yesterday: I create a 24 man group with open slots (tank/dps/heal), as it doesnt matter which job people join. As soon as someone leaves the party, the slot is suddenly locked to the job of the person who just left and you have to manually reset it. Each run i had to do this 4-5 times. SUCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    -No dismounting on entering combat
    Completely agree. Using a combat ability on a foe when mounted should dismount you.
    -The limit on how many glamour you can have and needing additional items to use it
    Absolutely. Hopefully they can fix this in the future since they seem to agree.
    -When the quest asks you to hand over your weapon to upgrade but you need
    Yeah this one is annoying. You always have to carry a spare weapon around just so you can upgrade the one you're actually using.
    -Races. I need a monster looking race in my life but alas. I know it doesn't fit into FF too much
    We have the Hrothgar, I'm curious to see how the female ones look like but yeah, a few too many human looking ones I agree. FF games traditionally doesn't have a lot of playable beast races but that's no reason not to add them, it would only increase the appeal that the game has.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    We have the Hrothgar,
    A step on the right direction but too furry bait for me
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

A step on the right direction but too furry bait for me
    Yeah but with beasts you kinda only have two options, fur or scales and I don't really see the FFXIV team giving us fish or lizard people. Heck out of the big three ESO is the only one offering non furry beast races in the Argonians.
    Depends on if you count orcs as a beast race or not though, I personally don't.

If I get back into the game, I need to do +1k quests regardless if I hit the max level or not, just to unlock shit :|

The unskippable cutscenes that just show my character dancing.
    There's a surprising amount of these.

And apparently you need to do quests to unlock dungeons? I really hope these unlock as part of the storyline quests. So far I've been doing all quests I come across but that's not gonna keep happening.

I'm starting to struggle with demotivation. I'm not sure what part of the MSQ I'm on, but I recently met Haurchefant. The story is not engaging me at all, in fact, I'm bored by it. I'm beginning to think that maybe the story just isn't the type I enjoy. I'm the only person I know who didn't like Game of Thrones, for example, and I watched the first 3 seasons before tapping out because my SO loved it. It's not that I'm not willing to give things a chance or have a short attention span (although never-ending paragraphs of text for a story I'm not interested in is not helping).

The only character I felt connected with was Thancred, who I haven't seen in ages (and, yes, I know why). He was the only one who'd quested with me and fought beside me, the other characters just send me on errands. Maybe that changes later.

Then there was the Titan fight. I'm not proud of this, but I am that person who gets upset when someone in the group causes a wipe. (I don't call people out, I'm just silently disgruntled.) I'm no less forgiving of myself when I'm that person, which is why I look up guides first. It's a big reason why I hate group content or any sort of team activity because I don't like being responsible for others' success and I don't like my success being reliant upon others. I was already dreading the mandatory raid content I know is coming at the end of ARR and now I'm wondering if I'm just going to be queuing into wipe fests when it's already happened on a relatively easy, straightforward encounter.

I'm still on a trial account, but if I weren't I think I'd buy a skip to HW. I'm still going to power through it because 1) I like a lot about FFXIV and 2) I don't have anything to lose, but that's just where my head space is right now.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm starting to struggle with demotivation. I'm not sure what part of the MSQ I'm on, but I recently met Haurchefant. The story is not engaging me at all, in fact, I'm bored by it. I'm beginning to think that maybe the story just isn't the type I enjoy. I'm the only person I know who didn't like Game of Thrones, for example, and I watched the first 3 seasons before tapping out because my SO loved it. It's not that I'm not willing to give things a chance or have a short attention span (although never-ending paragraphs of text for a story I'm not interested in is not helping).

The only character I felt connected with was Thancred, who I haven't seen in ages (and, yes, I know why). He was the only one who'd quested with me and fought beside me, the other characters just send me on errands. Maybe that changes later.

Then there was the Titan fight. I'm not proud of this, but I am that person who gets upset when someone in the group causes a wipe. (I don't call people out, I'm just silently disgruntled.) I'm no less forgiving of myself when I'm that person, which is why I look up guides first. It's a big reason why I hate group content or any sort of team activity because I don't like being responsible for others' success and I don't like my success being reliant upon others. I was already dreading the mandatory raid content I know is coming at the end of ARR and now I'm wondering if I'm just going to be queuing into wipe fests when it's already happened on a relatively easy, straightforward encounter.

I'm still on a trial account, but if I weren't I think I'd buy a skip to HW. I'm still going to power through it because 1) I like a lot about FFXIV and 2) I don't have anything to lose, but that's just where my head space is right now.
    You should be mid way through the coertheas section of the campaign. Its a bit... runny about. So i get the boredom. Plus its all very samey terrain. It shouldnt be too long though. To be honest, i got through it switching between my ninja and whm. If you're on a legacy server and only playing one class, then chances are you're at or near level 50 (even if youre only low 40s in msq). So if you hit 50, you can switch up your game by unlocking samurai, blue mage or red mage. Alternatively, you could divide your time between the msq and perhaps one of the beast tribes for a mount (i went sylph). Also, you can work on grinding out your grand company ranks to second lieutenant (which unlocks your squadron). Oh wait, i did a write up on this, so i'll post it in case you havent seen it.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post53238680

I wont post the full thing. It may help you find a way to pace things out and help you be less bored.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-07-12 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    The unskippable cutscenes that just show my character dancing.
    There's a surprising amount of these.
    At least we were spared collecting shit disorder Blizzard devs have. I take dancing anytime if an alternative is collecting guano every expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'm starting to struggle with demotivation. I'm not sure what part of the MSQ I'm on, but I recently met Haurchefant. The story is not engaging me at all, in fact, I'm bored by it.
    You looking to start shit m8? Because that's how you start shit.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Lane, its a meme. Please dont take that seriously. Youll understand the power of heaurchefant broness down the line.

I got one.. it's tiny..

You know when you do a quest and you have the quest item in your bag..

Instead of the game just accepting you forking it over a little box pops up and adds a little hand it over step. Now sure you can just right click and it damn near just does it for you.. but.. it just seems like a silly step.

1) the maps, they're absolutely worthless shit if the area has any elevation or caves
    2)the UI, and more specifically the inventory management. Utter cancer
    3) button bloat. No, having 50 buttons that essentially all do the same thing but simply most be pressed in order do NOT make your game more complex or deep. It just makes it tedious. Remove about half of them, and make the remainder more imapctful
    4) the rabid delusional cult-like zealot playerbase. My god. Never seen anything like this before outside of Heaven's Gate