Proper sequel to WoW

So i have played WoW on and off since vanilla and watched my involvement with the game decline over the years. The hardest thing though was to leave a game where i had invested so much time and money. I mean all of those years effort to get mounts, achievements, gear etc and leaving it all behind was really, really hard but for the amount of time i played the sub was just not worth the money.

It has been a few months since i left and i still have that urge to resub, but i know that a couple of days later i will be bored with the game and so i won't bother. Anyone else feel the same?

I would love them to make a true sequel to WoW, i think it needs it, i would love to have that fresh start feeling again. The constant squishing of levels etc cannot go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Osperand View Post
    So i have played WoW on and off since vanilla and watched my involvement with the game decline over the years. The hardest thing though was to leave a game where i had invested so much time and money. I mean all of those years effort to get mounts, achievements, gear etc and leaving it all behind was really, really hard but for the amount of time i played the sub was just not worth the money.

It has been a few months since i left and i still have that urge to resub, but i know that a couple of days later i will be bored with the game and so i won't bother. Anyone else feel the same?

I would love them to make a true sequel to WoW, i think it needs it, i would love to have that fresh start feeling again. The constant squishing of levels etc cannot go on forever.
    I think for WoW a sequel would not really do, it's a constant thing after all as is the nature of mmo's.
    More useful might be a "side"quel, something with a different philosophy entirely to expand on the warcraft universe in a way rpgs can't really do, i think Warcraft 4 would need to be that game.

Additionally the game could indeed use a very thorough refurbishment to the point that it might as well be a new game (proper physics is a favourite of mine), but Blizzard will want to keep a certain continuity between the two game, a way to directly interface between old and new in a way that doesn't obstruct the new nor waste the old.

But honestly such refurbishment seems to be outaide of present day Blizzard's scope of competence, so Warcraft 4 might be the best to hope for.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The original Wow was lightning in a bottle, no one will be able to do that again in a long time, if ever.

There won't be a WoW2, ever. Once WoW dies, it's dead. And cutting ties to people's characters and collections is the way to kill it. When you ask people what they'd expect of a new WoW they say crap like "Better graphics" or "It will just be better" without naming any concrete things they'd want to have improved.
    Last edited by XDurionX; 2021-07-05 at 10:27 AM.

If the current dev team fails to get their act together now, what makes you think they'll do better in a sequel?

Asmongold said the same thing, he would love a WoW 2, but not if the devolopers of shadowlands made the game
    Baine is not my Warchief

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feel you, I´m on the same boat.

I actually wanted to play so badly the other day, logged in, then realized that the game itself is sort of.. not offering you a chance to play an alt. You have to go through so much crap to get to the point where you can actually PLAY your character. Grind this, grind that, weekly cap this, weekly cap that... Then you are ready.

I don´t even talk about gear, I still think gear is meant to be gathered/obtained, not granted.. But all the systems... And no, you can´t skip them, not if you want to have a remote chance at being somehow competitive lol.

Best sequel? Start "from scratch". Same old systems (Vanilla to Wrath style), new lore, new maps. Put a time gap where we don´t know what happened after X. So that lives many doors open for future content. Basically.. a real WoW 2.

Honestly, that would be better than the way the current incompetent developers are driving the game down the drain.

I do find myself gravitating towards more modern action combat experiences more and more.
    WoW's tab target combat is still better than a hell of a lot of other less modern action experiences.

Overall I do agree that I find myself wanting for something a bit more new and refined.
    Yet if the transition to action combat went badly for WoW, they may never live it down.
    I feel a little comfortable them taking the risk as they have things like Classic "in case things go bad", I guess.

If both WoW1 and WoW2 were both worked on and both got updates...
    I think in that case it'd probably be a case where players would go to the one that would be better.
    But there's also a risk that both games might be less than if they fully invested into one.

There's a lot of concern with this kind of thing being handled well, going well.
    The cynicism is real with this. I think the desire and demand is there, as the community has talked about WoW2 seemingly forever.

But actually seeing it a reality, seeing it successful, I think is a bit different - and scary...
    In a lot of ways. It could be great, it could be terrible.
    I think I know that I 'want' it. But I don't know how confident I am in the execution. That's the main hang-up I have with it, persistently.

I've been thinking the same thing for quite some time.

I don't know if you are familiar with the game Guildwars 1 and 2. Long story short, after a few expansions, they decided to make a sequel. This allowed them to do a totally different game with the same theme and essence. Not judging either game, since that's not why i bring them up. I bring them up because of the idea that as developer you could reach a point where your own game is limiting your creativity and possibilities because it's either too old or designed in a very restrictive way, that's something i feel that might be happening with WoW. It's not just about the engine, since we've seen plenty of times that they can improve it to bring graphics up to date. It's about some design concepts of how an MMORPG could work today vs how those things usually worked back in 2004.

For example, if they had the chance to get a fresh start, would they choose the same combat system or would they try to do something more action oriented? would they choose the same set of classes and specs or would they try a more open and customizable system? would they have two restrictive factions? would they build the world and how we experience it in the same way?

And while i know that will never happen, it's always fun to imagine. Although i must say that when i talked about this with a friend we both agreed that current blizzard would just screw things up.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

WoW is its own sequel over and over and over. What you miss are things you've already achieved and won't be able to re-bottle, though you can re-live the journey with Classic you can't unlearn what you discovered back in the glory days.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said wow 2 will never work the way you want it. Times are different there is no way that they are able to reinvent the wheel. A side game would work, but idk of that is what people are looking for.

Its already frustrating to even start a new character just because you know you will not be opimal very soon and idd this is not meant for obtaining gear, that is a core part that I think should stay.

Everything in wow.. from transmog to classes, they always manage to JUST miss the mark. Oo that hat looks like a dark ranger hood.. but ye not realy. I want my character look or feel like that one hero.. but I cant realy. I want to firestorm people.. but nope you cant realy... it annoys me to death. Why is it so hard to just give players what they realy want? Beause that would ruin wow? Guess what we are already there imo.

With everyone so focused on the destination rather than the journey, I think Blizzard should just triple down on instanced content, get rid of the game world altogether, and just make it another lobby game where you que up with strangers and obtain all of your gear, upgrades, etc through doing the only content they seem to care about developing anyway; raids and dungeons.

If they're not going to develop the world and have it respond to the players that make it up, then it doesn't really need to exist. Who actually finds WQ engaging? Farming Anima, Azeroth, or AP? You can incorporate that kind of tedium into instances only and just have a menu to craft gear, upgrade items, mog, etc.

All they have to do is make the occasional cringe, predictable cinematic where X NPC does something out of an Avengers movie and the story is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazmalak View Post
    With everyone so focused on the destination rather than the journey
    Very well said. The game and its player base have an unhealthy fixation on "progression" and now the entire game is nothing more than a resetting treadmill of driving numbers up.

The MMO genre needs to be completely reinvented and that's much easier said than done.

How do you create a living, breathing world that's dynamic, compelling, interactive, and simply being in the world and exploring it and experiencing it IS the game. That's how WoW originally felt, even if it was largely a facade. The systems that evoked that feeling back then don't work now and WoW evolved to no longer even try.

The disconnect between not enjoying WoW as it currently is, and thinking that WoW 2 would be the remedy, is hilarious.

Every expansion is a sequel. It's a continuation of the story. Technically-speaking, the current iteration of the game is like WoW 6 or 7, whatever it may be, as it features much better graphics, models, game play, among everything else that would define a "WoW 2" when comparing it to Vanilla WoW, which I guess is "WoW 1."

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW 2 - Better graphics, same of everything system wise (except the freaking borrowed power) including raids and dungeons. More customization on gear, mounts, pets and a proper "housing" system.

Lore-wise I would love a huge time skip happened and the races/faction/classes got all mixed up and a more intergalactic theme.

That way we could all have clean start but all the previous lore would still be there.

A sequel wont give you back that feeling you had when young and starting a fresh MMO. I've tried new MMOs, and that feeling just doesn't come back.
    And I honestly feel like a sequel wouldn't be much different to a new expansion anyways, just that you start over all again (Classic pretty much, just with new content).

I wish I could just forget about WoW, and have that noob feeling again. But the MAIN issue with that is the internet, there is way too much information out there now, even a new game has guides out instant, and if you don't follow guides you feel like you don't do "enough".

But ye, to be 14 and logging in to Azeroth again.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    The disconnect between not enjoying WoW as it currently is, and thinking that WoW 2 would be the remedy, is hilarious.
    Yes it is. Blizzard hasn't been an innovative, taking risks kind of company for a long time. They're just milking what they have for the most part.

WoW 2 is a bad idea.

They just need to upgrade the current WoW, why making people losing 16 year of memories in the sake of "well this time is gonna work" is like going to vacation trying to fix a broken marriage.