Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ...
    There are always legit reasons to dislike something but IMO disliking MoP because of pandas is on par with disliking an album because you don't like the artwork. I remember MoP mostly fondly though I feel bad I didn't get to raid ToT with a guild. Unfortunately I spent half the expansion as a loner but I still have good memories of killing Garrosh on mythic before WoD came out.

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    I was totally not interested in monks, no hate nor love, just no interes as far as i remember. As soon as I tried one on was it PTR or Beta (think beta) i was hooked like FK.
    Yeah, i was a bit the same.

Tried monk at the addon start and leveled a Brewmaster to like 25 and stopped, cause i dont like leveling... in the end of mop i leveled a monk to max level and fall in love. So its even more sad, that the Monk today has so less unique mechanics and skill that maked him so awesome in MoP.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    MoP is considered one of their best expansions in their last 17 years of work.
    The best expansion lost 4 million subscribers?

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Really?

People were more pissed off by the Pandaren. Saying that Chen was an easter egg. (Technically he was since he had no dialogue and wasn't a requirement to complete Rexxar's story)
    People were pissed that Blizzard suddenly pulled a whole expansion around them out of nowhere.
    "Easy, cheap pandering to China" was also an argument. As Warcraft was mostly Western, European in its fantasy tropes and concepts until then.
    Somehow I get the idea that when you say "people", you're talking about yourself.

MoP was a good expansion. A crazy/silly idea, but a breath of fresh air.

I enjoyed the expansion. It was very kitsch, but I had a good time. Warlords could've ALSO been good, but they cut so much content. It wasn't the lack of raiding per se, but the sheer lack of consistently new content available. Legion was great for the period of time I played it. Only stopped because IRL. I briefly played BFA, like for a day. And the setting just turned me off. So I never went back. And now I'm just not into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I really enjoyed SoO, though ToT is my all-time favorite raid. The only problem with SoO, for me, is that it just lasted too long.
    I should have elaborated... that was my complaint too. Honestly, take out the first outside portion and I think it would have been ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Warlocks were the most fun they've ever been in MoP. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Affliction.
    You're not wrong. Affliction was good too but the way Demo worked was perfect to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I always found it funny that WoW already had:

-drunken dwarves
    -silly, eccentric gnomes
    -elves
    -gay elves
    -cow people
    -jamacian trolls
    -brooklyn-accented goblins
    -werewolves
    -blue space goats

....but no, they draw the line at pandas. Pandas are "too cartoony", despite all the above things already existing ingame

fucking lmao

Also love all the whines about "kung fu panda" despite Chen Stormstout existing in Warcraft lore a whole 4 years before that movie came out.
    I hate to say it, but this guy is right.

I've mentioned the Chen Stormstout thing too. People complained about "wtf... pandas? really?" And I told them Chen was in Warcraft before World of Warcraft.

grown adults pissed off because someone put pandas in the game they play. funny shit.

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    grown adults pissed off because someone put pandas in the game they play. funny shit.
    "Clearly I am the grown up because this kung fu pandaren doesn't bother me. Look at me everyone! I'm the grown up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Necromantic View Post
    I hate to say it, but this guy is right.

I've mentioned the Chen Stormstout thing too. People complained about "wtf... pandas? really?" And I told them Chen was in Warcraft before World of Warcraft.
    Well that's because Chen Stormstout was literally an easter egg. You did not have to have him to complete the Rexxar's campaign. He did not show up in any cinematic or had any dialogue either.
    He was a thing made up by Samwise Didier because it looked cool.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Somehow I get the idea that when you say "people", you're talking about yourself.

MoP was a good expansion. A crazy/silly idea, but a breath of fresh air.
    Some people aka 4 million players, 2 million of those that quit near Throne of Thunder

"Clearly I am the grown up because this kung fu pandaren doesn't bother me. Look at me everyone! I'm the grown up!"
    You're not making yourself look the mature one with this.

Well that's because Chen Stormstout was literally an easter egg. You did not have to have him to complete the Rexxar's campaign. He did not show up in any cinematic or had any dialogue either.
    He was a thing made up by Samwise Didier because it looked cool.
    So???
    He didn't have a story... and then they gave him a story. Again, what's the problem? Just admit it... it's the pandas. It's ok if you don't like them but don't try to direct your hatred into something you seem to be unable to articulate.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2021-07-16 at 12:16 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I recall, MoP was the most disliked reveal trailer on their youtube channel because of Pandaren.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nyeZ8khSEC0

I see that youtube hid the dislikes now but I rechecked last week and it had close up to 36k dislikes (!).

Not to mention that the new expansion barely brought in any new players or older players that quit during Cataclysm.
    https://imgur.com/a/5FGbBOY

You can see the dropout after the first few months was huge and t continued to drop down until the release of WoD which spiked up the subscriber numbers immensively. (Don't forget Warcraft movie came out at the same time).

Can we conclude that MoP wasn't that liked by the playerbase? Sure it was good compared to BfA and Shadowlands, but does it show that people are more interested in the "conservative" style of Warcraft; Orcs and Humans too?
    I just changed my dislike to a like, realized I kept it where I put it so many years ago.

It's now down to just 31k~ dislikes. Crazy.

Honestly, I thought it was insulting at first. I now consider MoP one of my best times in WoW and wish I had been there for launch and ToT. Timeless Isle and the final patch were incredible, though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Correct but he was still there. He existed before the movie Kung Fu Panda, which people forget.

Either way, it was cool and different.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    I have a huge debate on that, but uh... might just be from different perspectives on the expansion. Legion was the expansion that made me quit retail permanently due to just the absolute insane amount of arbitrary grinding that was needed, and the lack of (or the extremely unlikely scenario of) feeling finished with something.

Looking back on Legion, I think it was the first time they decided that gold should no longer be the currency that fuels raiding since that's what caused people to complain there was nothing to do outside of raids. Playing through Classic and TBC Classic, you have a lot of things to do outside of raiding because gold is always a factor. You need gold for enchants, pots, flasks, and none of those things are ever cheap. But, on top of that, gold is also just a universal currency in general. Farming gold is never a waste of time since you can use it for other things outside of just fueling your ability to raid.
    AP essentially became a stand-in for gold. You had to go out into the world and do things for AP and it was never capped so you could keep doing it as long as you liked. Problem was that it was only used for ONE thing, would disappear after the expansion, and Blizzard was the sole dictator on what gave AP and how much a thing gave. Farming for gold is more fluid since the optimal farming strategy changes constantly. What might be profitable today could get heavily farmed tomorrow. Nobody tells you where to go farm, though, you can always farm something less profitable if you feel like it. You don't ALWAYS have to go do the same world quests. Also the levels were literally unlimited at a point so you never felt like you were "done" you just felt like you were "good enough" and those are two different feelings. Wiping your ass and being like "eh, good enough" means you probably got some smears down there still. Wiping your ass and being "done" means you're clean.

Also, the forged system was absolutely garbage, and contributed to the same feeling of never being "done." I think even MoP did it better prior. The increase from base item level to the super mega crazy lucky rare item level was not very dramatic. It legitimately felt like a simple bonus and nothing more. Legion it was like... you'd finally get the BiS trinket but it rolled 20 whole ass item levels lower than it could have so you feel like it's "good enough" but you hope it keeps dropping so you might one day get lucky with a titanforge.

Killed any drive I had to keep playing retail.
    Well, I agree with you, it was your approach to the game. I have not played the game hardcore since Cataclysm. I treated the game like a job in Cata and was on the top NA RBG team and was 2700+ in arenas. I had like 24 days /played at the 30 day mark that expac. I didn't play most of MoP and WoD and came back to Legion as a very casual player.

Because I played Legion without an interest in pushing high M+, doing high end PvP, or doing mythic raiding, I was able to play the game by doing what interested me and still making progress. I could do world quests and get a legendary. I could do heroic dungeons, or LFR. Or I could just go gold farm. Suramar was great, too. I wasn't forced to do torghast for a legendary. I didn't have to collect essences from certain bosses. I realize that I am in the minority liking the legendary system they had, but if you were not trying to min max it created really cool moments when you got one.

I understand the complaints around Legion, but to someone playing casually, the downsides of the expac really just did not affect me.