Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    MoP was absolutely trashed in the beginning. Mostly from the Kung Fu Panda stuff, as well as complaints that it was only to appease the Chinese market. However the endgame of MoP was where it probably got the most deserved flack, as you had rep grinds gates behind other rep grinds, not to mention said rep grinds ended up being necessary for bonus rolls and the best enchantments.

I believe the outrage had died down by 5.2 though. That being said 5.3 and 5.4 were notorious for truly starting the entire debate on whether Blizzard was willingly ignoring the Alliance, as that entire patch seemed designed with the Alliance as an afterthought.

And of course MoP is still the expansion with the longest content drought. The last patch lasted over a year before WoD launched.

Like most expansions it is only when players look back with rise tinted glasses and forget the boring and annoying bits that the expansion became regarded as the best thing since sliced bread.
    That and of course WoD being a never-ending content wasteland.
    It's not really fair to consider the last patch as the longest content drought. That is more based on WoD taking longer to launch. Blizzard made the mistake of not spacing the content between 5.0 and 5.4 more. Throne of thunder for example could have easily lasted longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    36k dislikes is a pretty low number considering the amount of players back then. Most likely the vocal minority back then backing each other up, showing their massive power..

I enjoyed MoP, though mostly once ToT was released. Siege of Orgrimmar was also quite good.
    Do you realise it had 35k likes?

I liked the raids, the stories, the new factions, the legendary quest, my FARM!

Not by me. It was way too disconnected and "un-warcraft" like for me. More so than any other expansion. At least WoD had familiar races and styles.

For me, "worst expansion" is a close call between MoP and WoD.

The Sha were cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    People disliked it because of "lol kungfu panda bs" while actually it was 1 of THE BEST BEST BEST BEEEEST exp EVER!
    Speaking about QUALITY of the game.

Itemization, pvp, class design, raid design... EVERYTHING!
    There were a lot of good things in MoP but there were also many flaws; leveling questing was really only good in Kun Lai Summit, the extreme length of time at the end of the expansion made everything stale, lfr SoO was stage 5 cancer that made me never want to step in a raid again, The use of the "sha" as a big baddie was never interesting, the use of one guys voice acting through so many storylines was bound to annoy so many players and the fortune cookie philosophy turned up to 11 by the end of MoP made me want to go back in time and kill Confucius.

Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    MoP is clearly the most overrated expansion in the entire game; this very thread is filled with a spam of people praising it; and I know EXACTLY why it is overrated. The game appears to have exoduses of subscribers that come in waves; the very first wave happened in Cata because most players up to that point only played since WotLK and maybe mid-TBC and people love to hate the expansion they quit on because they don't want to admit their own life changed and not the game that much; MoP is extremely overrated because it happened right after the first major wave of haters exiting the game so mainly people praising it remained (the same happened with the overrating of Legion (the second major Exodus happened at WoD) and maybe some overrating of the launch of Shadowlands (though the game is a lot less popular now anyway).

MoP brought the absolute worst part that the game has ever seen and it's pure cancer; the necessity to do daily grinds in order to be optimal at hard core raiding/pvp; until then you could level and immediately go into high end instances and stay there (none of that dull nonsense of torghast and the maw and daily chores that are not even challenging and a total chore designed to milk monthly fees from addicted people).
    Well the first major thing exodus happened cause Cata was freaking hard after how easy and accessible WTLK was. Dungeons were ridiculous and raids were even harder than ever before. Which is why they went so easy with 4.3 where those 3 dungeons were a walk in the park. They introduced LFR to get more people into raiding.

If MoP did one thing right it was the game play. PVP was fun and so were most classes. Ret was hella fun. MoP just had really bad writing, setting and story. The story made no freaking sense and was just a lazy expansion in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    Almost quit in Pandaria because of the dailies at the start amd the 90 coins. But looking back it had the most new things and cool things.
    If having to do 7 dailies per day was going to make you quit I'd think you were tired of the game and looking for a reason.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was one of my favorites. The daily grind seemed onerous, but the leveling content was fun and interesting, the setting was fresh enough, the idea that we were the villain on Panderia was refreshing (even if it got somewhat subverted with the Mogu and Old God stuff). Monks were a good addition. The raids were fun and the dungeons were ok. The faction war was actually kinda cool this time through. I wasn't too big on the Pandaren themselves, admittedly, but I don't have to play one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mop was liked by players who played it. A lot quit because "lol kung fu panda" before even trying it their opinions are shit. Even the daily grind is nothing when compared to the terrible world quest design we have now.

Also you posted the announcement trailer but not the cinematic trailer which shows a much more favorable ratio.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    You can't possibly compare taurens, which are monster minotaurs, with vulpera. Vulpera are literally only in the game for the one reason we both know. Minotaurs are a classic staple of any RPG game. You'd have a hard time finding an RPG without a minotaur (which are the taurens).
    Do ya'll seriously think the furry market is THAT vast and marketable that wow absolutely has to get a piece of that pie.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Do ya'll seriously think the furry market is THAT vast and marketable that wow absolutely has to get a piece of that pie.....
    Considering that most of them that I know of just blindly bought the game and subbed for that alone, yes.

there was a vocal minority who despised the Pandaren, some because of the timing and influence of the Kung Fu Panda films, some because of the Asian theme and some because they weren't yet another almost human race. mostly though there seemed to be a worry that WoW was going to be more 'kiddiefied' but while there was a fair bit of lightheartedness and comedy there were also darker elements (a mix not unusual for WoW or the previous Warcraft games)

the story overall received very positive feedback, the fact that Pandaren weren't exclusive to one faction gave them a unique (though sadly wasted storywise) role and most of the raids, dungeons, etc were very well received

many people called it, and still do call it, the best expansion. personally I enjoyed it but I'd been playing WoW as a raiding tank since Molten Core and was starting to burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    Really?
    ya really
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    People were more pissed off by the Pandaren. Saying that Chen was an easter egg. (Technically he was since he had no dialogue and wasn't a requirement to complete Rexxar's story)
    People were pissed that Blizzard suddenly pulled a whole expansion around them out of nowhere.
    "Easy, cheap pandering to China" was also an argument. As Warcraft was mostly Western, European in its fantasy tropes and concepts until then.
    western european theme had exactly only humans, and even that i'd argue that it was really very "americanized" spin on european medival theme just as any other race has some theme ideas borrowed from real life but with lots of lots of american spin on it
    taurens- american natives
    trolls- jamaican, south american amazonian tribes
    night elves- tolkien elves, some ancient greek buildings mixed with amazonian matriarchy
    dwarfs- tolkien dwarfs

and hell
    even mentioned pandas had very westernized take on asian cultures (not just chinese), that's part of why it had a really good recepcie

Quote Originally Posted by FAILoZOFF View Post
    ya really

western european theme had exactly only humans, and even that i'd argue that it was really very "americanized" spin on european medival theme just as any other race has some theme ideas borrowed from real life but with lots of lots of american spin on it
    taurens- american natives
    trolls- jamaican, south american amazonian tribes
    night elves- tolkien elves, some ancient greek buildings mixed with amazonian matriarchy
    dwarfs- tolkien dwarfs

and hell
    even mentioned pandas had very westernized take on asian cultures (not just chinese), that's part of why it had a really good recepcie
    And all those races were a concept from European fantasy tropes.
    Also avoiding to say Dwarves are European to state they are from Tolkien who created the entire fantasy genre from a bunch of European folklore lmao.

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually didn't mind the dailies as they were just something to log on for. I wasn't a big fan of a few of the raids. Some just went on forever. Mogu'shan was good, didn't enjoy HoF, Terrace was good, ToT was too long and SoO was good. I enjoyed the challenge modes. I loved the island and zone designs. So overall it was a mixed bag for me as a raider.

The expansion was dreadful untill ToT. After that the raids became good and it had 2 new zones. Much of the praise also comes from hearsay. People keep telling other people it was good until they themself believe it without ever having played it.
    Last edited by Sofo1; 2021-07-14 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    I actually didn't mind the dailies as they were just something to log on for. I wasn't a big fan of a few of the raids. Some just went on forever. Mogu'shan was good, didn't enjoy HoF, Terrace was good, ToT was too long and SoO was good. I enjoyed the challenge modes. I loved the island and zone designs. So overall it was a mixed bag for me as a raider.
    The dailies weren't an extremity back then; it became way worse with Legion/BfA/SL. But it signified the start of having to do EXTREMELY mundane and easy grinds in order to be optimal at raiding or pvp; it was a lot better when you could level a character and stay in high end instances forever; the devs claim "but others like the grind" but they're full of shit: they mainly do it for monthly fees and microtransactions: if they truly cared about the casuals they already have a lot of grinds in other parts of the game and they don't have to contaminate the high end world where approximately NOBODY likes to grind easy to down stuff that only waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofo1 View Post
    The expansion was dreadful untill ToT. After that the raids became good and it had 2 new zones.
    The raids in isolation were never bad in this game; that says nothing about an expansion; it's the subsystems they have outside the raids is what ruins them and it has become extreme in Legion/BfA/SL where in order to use an alt or a re-entering main you have to waste at least a full week of your life doing mundane chores and even then you have to waste time almost daily keeping up with the mundane chores.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofo1 View Post
    The expansion was dreadful untill ToT. After that the raids became good and it had 2 new zones. Much of the praise also comes from hearsay. People keep telling other people it was good until they themself believe it without ever having played it.
    It was waaaaay too long wit certain sections designed to just slow your character down physically. Annoying.

The daily nonsense at the start was awful. In my own sample size it broke the desire to play of just under half of a 4 year running 25 man group. It also had the worst raid to date HoF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    ToT was too long but SoO wasn't?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    ToT was too long but SoO wasn't?
    He said SoO was good, not that it was short.