Thread: New monitor

New monitor

Last edited by gemol; 2021-07-16 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't get 1080p at 27" at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gemol View Post
    What do you think will 1080p be usable on a 27' monitor, or should I be looking at a 24'?
    1080p should never go larger than 24in. Anything bigger gets blurry really fast and is more in the TV category, as in...stand 4+ feet away.

for 27in look for QUHD, otherwise called 2K, or minimum 1440p.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    1080p should never go larger than 24in. Anything bigger gets blurry really fast and is more in the TV category, as in...stand 4+ feet away.
    None of the following is correct. /sigh

for 27in look for QUHD,
    QHD. No U in there. Stands for Quad HD, since “HD” is actually 720p.

otherwise called 2K,
    No, it isn’t. “4K” is called that because it rounds up to 4K (3840 —> 4,000); QHD (2560 x 1440) does not round up to 2k, nor down.

2K is a Cinema resolution.

or minimum 1440p.
    QHD IS 1440p. They are the same thing. 2560x1440.

To the OP:

Get a good 1440p 144hz(+) display.

Dell makes a decent one for not a ton of money (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...HAzTRYPHBsMcmP)

Yeah, you could go 4K, but the performance is just not there, and the visual upgrade from 1080p to 1440p is quite significant, whereas from 1440p to 4K is less noticeable (because the pixels are already so small).

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    None of the following is correct. /sigh

QHD. No U in there. Stands for Quad HD, since “HD” is actually 720p.

No, it isn’t. “4K” is called that because it rounds up to 4K (3840 —> 4,000); QHD (2560 x 1440) does not round up to 2k, nor down.

2K is a Cinema resolution.

QHD IS 1440p. They are the same thing. 2560x1440.

To the OP:

Get a good 1440p 144hz(+) display.

Dell makes a decent one for not a ton of money (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...HAzTRYPHBsMcmP)

Yeah, you could go 4K, but the performance is just not there, and the visual upgrade from 1080p to 1440p is quite significant, whereas from 1440p to 4K is less noticeable (because the pixels are already so small).
    You got me on the "U," got that confused with some monitors being called "UHD." But the rest of that was exactly my point, that they are equivalent terms in what he should look for. Even the "2K is not really 2K" doesn't stop marketers from tossing that up on their Amazon listings. (Example)

Either way, we are in agreement and you went one step further to recommend one. So hopefully he finds what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    You got me on the "U," got that confused with some monitors being called "UHD." But the rest of that was exactly my point, that they are equivalent terms in what he should look for. Even the "2K is not really 2K" doesn't stop marketers from tossing that up on their Amazon listings. (Example)

Either way, we are in agreement and you went one step further to recommend one. So hopefully he finds what he needs.
    UHD is the “HD” term for 4K. “Ultra” HD. For future reference.

HD is 720p (1280x720)
    FHD (“Full HD”) is 1080p (1920x1080)
    QHD is 1440p (2560x1440)
    UHD is 2160p ( 3840x2160; “4K”, even though true 4K is 4096x2160)

Yiu can generally add “UW” to the front of any of those to signify “Ultra Wide” - 21:9 instead of 16:9, though UW 4K and 720P displays are rare, the two most common by far are UWFHD (2560x1080) or UWQHD (3440x1440).

I'm going to buy a new monitor for myself. I want to start my career as a writer. So this time, I need a big screen monitor. So that I can write content there easily and comfortably. Actually, I want to do my assignment given by my university teachers. As a newbie, I started following Study Clerk https://studyclerk.com/do-my-assignment as well to see what kind of content they provide to their customers.

Can you please suggest me, good monitors, with big screen? Thanks, I will wait for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by David Shephard View Post
    I'm going to buy a new monitor for myself. I want to start my career as a writer. So this time, I need a big screen monitor. So that I can write content there easily and comfortably. Actually, I want to do my assignment given by my university teachers. As a newbie, I started following Study Clerk https://studyclerk.com/do-my-assignment as well to see what kind of content they provide to their customers.

Can you please suggest me, good monitors, with big screen? Thanks, I will wait for your reply.
    gtfo this forums

You can use this spec HD is 720p (1280x720). It is one of the standard size and fits within the budget