9.1.5 Discipline Priest Mage Tower

Edit: Originally this thread was me asking for help, but after about 100 tries I finally beat the encounter. Instead I'll create a guide.

The first thing you should know is that the Legion strategy won't work. Back then you just had to kill Tugar, and then outheal Jormog's enrage. This is why this was one of the easiest encounters. Jorgun does too much damage now, an unmitigated Sonic Scream will 1-shot you, and you will eventually ran out of CDs.

Now you need to kill them get them both to like 1-2% and kill them both quickly, as either's enrage will kill you. This makes the fight much longer. Like 13 minutes long or so.

I think I can sum up my strategy with these two points:

1) You need to alternate between a talented (30 sec CD) Psychic Scream and Mindbender + Fade in order to never get hit by Tugar's nuke.

2) Don't bother dotting the little worms. Just position Tugar between them and Mind Sear him. It's faster and more mana efficient than dotting each one.

Talents
    Link

15 - Schism: It's perfect for those short windows where you can dps Jorgun. You could take Twist of Faith, but you shouldn't be dropping to 35% health that often.
    25 - Masochism: It's not mandatory, but the extra 10% in damage reduction is great. You also don't really need a speed boost in this fight.
    30 - Mindbeder: Mandatory. If you don't take it, then you will need to survive every other Fel Burst.
    35 - Psychic Voice: Mandatory as well. Shining Force doesn't work on Tugar. You need the 30 sec CD.
    40 - Sins of the Many: The extra 12% dps helps. The other talents don't do much in this fight.
    45 - Divine Star: You could take Purge the Wicked for the extra dps on Tugar and Jorgun, but I find Divine Star is great when you don't have the best positioning for Mind Sear.
    50 - Lenience: The other talents aren't great for this fight, a reliable 3% damage reduction is nice.

Gear
    I didn't use any Chromie Time gear, but any extra stats wouldn't hurt. But I did use some gear I already had that had better stats than my 9.1 gear.
    Prydaz (the legendary neck from Legion). It has a socket and I'm pretty sure it has more stats than it should.
    The Tailoring legendary shoulder from Legion, it has 3 sockets.

I did also get the class hall bracers because my 9.1 bracers have a domination socket and I wanted a regular socket. I think the stats are the same.

I had 2 pieces of MoP crafterd PVP gear (hands and legs) that have 1 and 2 sockets respectively. However, these have less Int than a scaled down Shadowlands item, so it kinda balanced out.

Consumables
    I think this is far more important than gear.
    I used the Greater Flask from BFA. It's like 12 extra Int vs the flask from Shadowlands. 31 in total.
    I used shadowlands versatility food. I think it ended up being like 11 vers.
    I used my infinite Rune thing from Legion for an extra 5 Int.
    I had a lot of Shadowlands mana potions (I didn't check if another potion was more potent after scaling). It was about 20% of my mana pool.

I didn't use drums, but they probably would have been useful during a good Jorgun phase (no worms, after fearing Tugar). Or after killing Tugar to make sure Jorgun's enrage isn't too long.

Addons, Weak Auras and Macros
    DBM or anything that tells you the bosses cds is great. I also used Plater Nameplates to see the bosses % and their casts.

I used this WA for Jorgun's Sonic Scream https://pastebin.com/uLsb1tbt

I used 2 macros

/tar Tugar Bloodtotem
    /cast Mindbender
    /cast Fade

and

/tar Tugar Bloodtotem
    /cast Mind Sear

The fight
    This fight is long, and very repetitive. It's about getting enough practice.

Even though the fight stays the same, I'd say there are two phases.

Phase 1 goes from the start of the fight until you get all stacks off Jorgun.

Start the fight with PI, and just dps down Tugar. Use Psychic Scream when he starts casting Fel Burst. He should be at around 91% when he starts casting Earthquake.

Position yourself between the 3 rocks and use your Mindbender + Fade macro. If you are not using the macro, just make sure you are targeting Tugar when you use Mindbender. He should cast Fel Burst on the MB right after. At around the same time, Jormog will charge at you. Try to position yourself so it goes through 2 rocks. It's much easier to do this when there are 3 up. It's okay if you miss one.

Try to position Tugar between the worms/eggs. Use your Mind Sear Macro while avoiding the worm spit. They should be down before Jormog is back up.

When Jorgun comes back up, he will immediately use Sonic Scream. If you are fast enough, you could use Mind Blast to mitigate that damage, but only do it if you are quick enough, you don't want to get Shadow silenced, as you will need your Psychic Scream.

A few seconds after Jormog does his Sonic Scream, Tugar will do a Fel Surge (summon the totem) and a Fel Burst, it's random which one goes first. You need to Psychic Scream him, bonus points if you also hit Jorgun.

You can start dpsing Jorgun after the second round, when he has 3-5 stacks.

Do this for 3-4 rounds until Jormog has no stacks left.

Phase 2

Now that he has no stacks, you don't need to worry about getting Jorgun to hit the rocks. He usually stays around the edges of the room when he's not charging, so just stay near the middle and move when he charges.

Your main job during the Earthquake part is to use the MB + Fade macro at the right time. It should be when Tugar has about 3 seconds left of his Earthquake cast. This cast seems to get longer as the fight progresses so don't just rely on muscle memory and keep an eye on the timer of his cast.

You can use the Mind Sear macro while you wait for him to be at the 3-4 second mark with his cast, and then keep using it after casting Mindbender + Fade. If there are any worms out of range just use Divine Star. Remember to also get the Fel Surge totems.

After the second charge Jorgun will come up. Try to get a Mind Blast before his first Sonic Scream, but don't risk it if you are slow. Use Psychic Scream when Tugar uses Fel Burst and keep dpsing Jorgun. Also try to use a Shadowmend before Sonic Scream for the Masochism. He will cast it once more after the initial cast. Also try to get a Mind Blast on Jorgun before that cast to reduce the damage.

In this phase your main job should be to get Jorgun low. Tugar's HP will go down from the Mind Sears plus the occasional dot and Divine Star. Don't bother dpsing him unless he's falling behind on HP. If you used PI at the start of the fight it should be up a few seconds after Jorgun comes back up.

About 8 seconds after Jorgun's second Sonic Scream Tugar will cast Earthquake and the cycle will begin again. Just focus, don't get overwhelmed by the worms (that's why it's important to use Mind Sear all the time), and make sure you use the MB + Fade macro at the right time.

Things to keep in mind

Sometimes Tugar will cast Fel Burst after Jorgun's second Sonic Scream but before his Earthquake. You need to mitigate it. Don't use PS or MB + Fade, even if they are off cooldown. Just use Pain Supression, Barrier or Rapture, or a combination of the three. I also had a Shadowlands Trinket that creats an absorb shield on you that I used in combination with Barrier.

If this happens, then the Fel Burst cast during Earthquake will happen later. Use the MB + Fade macro right after Tugar casts Fel Surge (the totem). DBM also lets you know if Fel Burst is in CD, you could also use the macro a few seconds before it goes off cd.

This may cause things to go out of sync for a round, if you don't have PS or FB ready just try to mitigate it. Remember you can use Shadowmend for a 10% reduction (13% with Lenience from atonement). Don't use PS or MB outside of Fel Burst casts.

If you miss the Mindbender window (didn't cast it before he starts casting Fel Burst), then don't use it, mitigate the damage, and save it for the next round. If you use it late it's more likely that it will not be up in time for the next Earthquake phase.

When both are at 1-2%, kill Tugar first. It's easier to deal with Jormog's enrage (you can fear his Sonic Scream, or mitigate it with everything you got). Tugar will melee you for a lot and you'll die quickly.

If you are going OOM, you are probably dotting the worms. Don't. Also, use mana potions on CD. They are worth about 20% of your mana. I was able to use 2-3 of them. Use the first one when you are at about 70% mana.

The ground thing (Fel Rupture I think) is not immediate. You have like 4 seconds to get out. I remember managing to cast Schism and Mind Blast before I had to move out.

The Fel Surge totem is not immune to AOE. So you can kill it with Mind Sear if it's close to Tugar, or Divine Star if it's far away.

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. It's a reaaaally long fight, and you will probably have a lot of wipes at low %. I had a 0% wipe because I took down Jormog first. Quite a few 10% - 20% wipes. Mostly due to panicking because things got out of sync.
    Last edited by Iflash; 2021-12-11 at 12:51 PM.

I managed to get this down, so I edited the post into a guide instead.

Congrats on getting it down!

Very good description of the fight. I used fear during the burrowing phase, but your solution of using the earthquake cast to time the mind bender/fade ist great, and probably more reliable.

If anyone else happens upon this another amazing trick is to use the Discerning eye of the Best heirloom trinket. It has flat int and restores mana when something dies. The spitters/eggs dying provides you with infinite mana for the fight, which just removes a pain point.

Better luck next year. This was a tough one.